NYU Stern

Hi 1. Is there anyone for NYU Stern. I got an interview invite from stern last week. Since I am based in India I have opted for offsite interview in Mumbai, which will be held in March. 2. Got admitted in ISB with tuition waiver. How …

Hi

1. Is there anyone for NYU Stern. I got an interview invite from stern last week. Since I am based in India I have opted for offsite interview in Mumbai, which will be held in March.

2. Got admitted in ISB with tuition waiver. How would you rate ISB vis a vis Stern.

3. Any comments about Scholarships/financing for MBA would be welcome.

Any comments would be appreciated.

PS: I am and Indian applicant with GMAT:770 :average GPA : Work-Ex-5 years - IT Consultancy.

thanks!
_________________________________
http://bbirds.blogspot.com/

If you are looking for Finance and looking to work in US, no way ISB is better than Stern

Hi
my take: i think you should compare the two schools and not others.. my check list for you would be sumthing like:
1) your preferred major
2) what is your idea of a learning period? would you like to take a dip into a lot of varied subjects? if yes then maybe you should take a 2 year course. i wud...
3) what is your preffered line of after b-school job? school culture could help you in that
4) would you prefer working in India or outside?
5) diversity factor
6) strength of alumni
7) class size

for me all other factors are secondary (including funding)

so maybe you should decide on the choice.

Cheers

Kunal

and Best of luck for your Stern Interview.

Hi
my take: i think you should compare the two schools and not others.. my check list for you would be sumthing like:
1) your preferred major
2) what is your idea of a learning period? would you like to take a dip into a lot of varied subjects? if yes then maybe you should take a 2 year course. i wud...
3) what is your preffered line of after b-school job? school culture could help you in that
4) would you prefer working in India or outside?
5) diversity factor
6) strength of alumni
7) class size

for me all other factors are secondary (including funding)

so maybe you should decide on the choice.

Cheers

Kunal

and Best of luck for your Stern Interview.

Thanks Guys

that really sums up most of the parameters I should be looking at atleast academically speaking. At this moment I am split right in the center b/w finance and consultancy.

Can some gurus throw some light on the above factors keeping in mind my profile.

Cheers!
___________________________
http://bbirds.blogspot.com/

Though I am not a guru, very few MC and IB companies visit ISB. Probably 10-15% of the batch will be placed in these areas. Also you mentioned that you are from IT Consultancy background which means that you will be entirely getting into different function. I would say your chances with Stern would be better as it is close to wall street. And if you are not sure of what you wanna do, 1 year option might not work well. All in all, you will end up with another IT company which certainly is not what you are looking at...

nagsformba Says
Though I am not a guru, very few MC and IB companies visit ISB. Probably 10-15% of the batch will be placed in these areas. Also you mentioned that you are from IT Consultancy background which means that you will be entirely getting into different function. I would say your chances with Stern would be better as it is close to wall street. And if you are not sure of what you wanna do, 1 year option might not work well. All in all, you will end up with another IT company which certainly is not what you are looking at...

Hi Nag, but if you look at the figures for ISB as given on http://www.isb.edu/campussbuzz1/newz_placement_statistics.htm, you get a completely different picture. 33 % Consultancy + 19% Financial Services = total of 52%. Considering IB may be a lower percentage but how does percentage of IB jobs in Stern of for that matter any top 10 B school compare with ISB.

Also, does anyone have any idea about the profiles of jobs under both Consultancy and Fin Services (especially for guys from IT con. before MBA)

If you look at the kind of preparation these guys are putting in ( take a look at
http://bigticketatisb.blogspot.com/) i think the fugures are only going to improve along with the pay packages.

Wot Say?

Cheers!
------------------------------------
http://bbirds.blogspot.com/

So as far as placement statistics(in terms of %) Stern leads in IB and finiance total and ISB leads in terms of%ge of consulting job offers.

Hi

I went to stern about a month back.No way can ISB compare to Stern. Newyork is the place to be . Stern has the best location in the world. As for funding check out their website . They arrange loans for students students.

NO way ISB can be compared with Stern. Period
ISB markets itself as a very good school and it is. No doubt about it. In India it is great.
But thatz about it. You will rarely see anyone switching careers. Why? because there are not much options. But, yes, you will get great opportunity in IT since you have a IT background.

LOL....Dont believe in the figures given in website...For them Consulting mean both IT and MC Consulting...That way Consulting figures are more for ISB. Un less until you have strong opinion to work in India, you can' pick up ISB over Stern

Hi Nag, but if you look at the figures for ISB as given on http://www.isb.edu/campussbuzz1/newz_placement_statistics.htm, you get a completely different picture. 33 % Consultancy + 19% Financial Services = total of 52%. Considering IB may be a lower percentage but how does percentage of IB jobs in Stern of for that matter any top 10 B school compare with ISB.

Also, does anyone have any idea about the profiles of jobs under both Consultancy and Fin Services (especially for guys from IT con. before MBA)

If you look at the kind of preparation these guys are putting in ( take a look at
http://bigticketatisb.blogspot.com/) i think the fugures are only going to improve along with the pay packages.

Wot Say?

Cheers!
------------------------------------
http://bbirds.blogspot.com/


The figures I have given is based on the data I gathered from a current student. He told there will be around 20-30 offers in MC at the maximum. I am not sure abt IB. But, i guess it would be in the same range

Yep I got that but they seem to arrange for upto 40,000 K for international students without a US co signer. It would help if you have a credit history. But unluckily I did not apply for a CC or open a credit line when I was in states.

As far as the city is concerned, there is not beating NY though. I have been there a couple of time (in transit- stayed with a friend) and had a real blast. all the clubs pub-hopping and broadway (watched 'Bombay Dreams' )

Again NY being a financial hub offers loads of opportunities for obvious reasons, in finance.

That apart
What I am worried about is the rest of the funding.

1. Can someone throw some light on the schols for international students and how people manage there.

2. How is the environment/support for families within the campus.

you could post specific questions at a BW thread started by a current student- an Indian without any credit history in the US. I met a SY also from india, w/o credit history. He has taken the 40K loan.

there is limited housing in the village for intl students, others stay either uptown or in Jersey city.

when and where is your interview scheduled?

Hi

I met the guys at the financial aid office at Stern during my visit there. They told me that most of the information is on the website. But if you have any questions you could write to them. They would be happy to help.

As for housing it is much better to live inside Newyork city . But if you are looking for cheap but good housing you can stay in Newport Pavonia. About 30-45 minutes away by train from Stern.
NYU also arranges for housing for its students. They are probably the 3rd biggest landowner in NYC(This was told by me in the information session they had in India.

you could post specific questions at a BW thread started by a current student- an Indian without any credit history in the US. I met a SY also from india, w/o credit history. He has taken the 40K loan.

there is limited housing in the village for intl students, others stay either uptown or in Jersey city.

when and where is your interview scheduled?

Hi MBA05, congrats on your admit to tepper.

Can you send me the link to that thread

a) I think you should take stern. ISB has just started out stern is one of the world's best business schools .
b)i do not know the details of your profile but on the surface you could shoot higher depending on the type and progression of your WE . I assume avg GPA is > 60 . do not convert.
c)Of course you have to consider 55L vs a freebie. If your willing to go abroad and make a career Stern will take you places that ISB cannot.

That said both are good and you should be happy with either

Hi MBA05, congrats on your admit to tepper.
Can you send me the link to that thread


Dont have the link handy - its the one with "Stern 1st year - ask me your questions" started by preetim

Hello crypticbird,
Based on what did u get a waiver? is it coz of ur high GMAT score? did U get full waiver? what percentage? plz. let us know..

Rgds,
Raghu.

Hello crypticbird,
Based on what did u get a waiver? is it coz of ur high GMAT score? did U get full waiver? what percentage? plz. let us know..

Rgds,
Raghu.

The waiver amount is 3.5 lakh. GMAT score seems to be the most probable reason I could have got this waiver as my GPA is not that great and I had not applied for need based scholarship.

That said, I was also wondering what is the max scholarship offered so far by ISB.

MBA05,
Thanks for the link