NYU Stern interview experiences

This is one of my chinese friends experience.With his permission i m posting his experience.Thanks for his kind help.Here we go NYU Stern interview experiences Just came back yesterday. Interviewed in the morning, had a lunch with a…

This is one of my chinese friends experience.With his permission i m posting his experience.Thanks for his kind help.Here we go

NYU Stern interview experiences

Just came back yesterday. Interviewed in the morning, had a lunch with a 1st year student, and then sat in a class.

Yes, you will receive a t-shirt and a folder filled with program info customized to your application and interests. A very nice thing that the school has done for applicants.

A 2nd year student interviewed me, and an adcom staff sat next to her. I think more and more 2nd-year students are picking up the interview now. As far as I know all other applicants being interviewed that day are 2R, I am the only 1R. Hope I can get a quicker decision.

The interview is NOT BLIND. I can never say anything louder on this post than this. My first question was about my last essay! Read your essays carefully and prepare possible questions. The school also took time to find an interview that has similar background and similar career interests as mine. During the interview she asked a specific question about my work. So if you spend 5 hours preparing a blind interview, doubling that amount for Stern interview is not unreasonable.

Following is a list of questions that I can remember. Not necessarily in the original sequence.

1. What your boss would describe you.
  2. Why MBA
  3. Why Stern
  4. Why did you come to US
  5. What are the companies you want to work for after you graduate
  6. Whats your back-up plan if you failed to find an internship in the companies that you are interested in.
  7. I think there was a question about my work in my company
  8. What do you do for fun
Overall impression is that the school really took their time and resources to know every applicant. The school invites only smaller percent of applicants to interview but gives a higher percent of admission in the interview pool. I have never doubt the location advantage of the school and its great community, and this trip just made that impression stronger.

Stanford :

A very relax talk. Both sides wore in casual.
At first we had a very detailed rundown of my resume. He questioned almost every career decision of mine since high school.
Then he asked me some questions such as:
  1. Good & poor leadership examples.
  2. Ethical dilemma
  3. Books I read
  4. Why MBA
The interview lasted for exactly 45 minutes. Really bright & nice alumni. I am very impressed.
So, cross my finger and pray

Best luck!

thanks alot! i have interview next week on campus. any other advice for NYU?
r