NUS or NTU

Hi ALL, I have 3.5 yrs of experience in IT and my GMAt score is(700 51Q 32V). I am targetting NUS or NTU singapore for the next session. Pl. help to clear few of the doubts: 1) is 700 a sufficient score for both the college. 2) Which is…

Hi ALL,

I have 3.5 yrs of experience in IT and my GMAt score is(700 51Q 32V).
I am targetting NUS or NTU singapore for the next session. Pl. help to clear few of the doubts:
1) is 700 a sufficient score for both the college.
2) Which is better in terms of infrastructure, courses and placements?
3) is there any sectional cutoff in these colleges?
4) Can i expect a ROI fron these colleges.

Regards

Hi ALL,

I have 3.5 yrs of experience in IT and my GMAt score is(700 51Q 32V).
I am targetting NUS or NTU singapore for the next session. Pl. help to clear few of the doubts:
1) is 700 a sufficient score for both the college.
2) Which is better in terms of infrastructure, courses and placements?
3) is there any sectional cutoff in these colleges?
4) Can i expect a ROI fron these colleges.

Regards

Dixit:

Your profile looks good the only thing that may go against you is the IIM (Indian IT Male) phenomenon. Most of the IT guys I've seen get through to the competitive MBA programs across Asia have 4-7 years of experience with about 1-2 years of international work experience-so you may be at the lower end of the spectrum; but not by much.

Talking about your doubts, one at a time:
1) is 700 a sufficient score for both the college: yes, it is sufficient; although these two schools are extremely competitive with the average score from an Indian applicant lying at about 720, a 700 with good acads and extra curr. should not be a deterrent.

2) Which is better in terms of infrastructure, courses and placements: not much to choose between the two, both are good with similar courses and placements; NUS would rank higher in terms of infrastructure, and overall brand value, within and outside Singapore/Asia.

3) is there any sectional cutoff in these colleges: None that the one is aware off; although 32 in VA is a bit on the lower side, I suggest take the TOEFL and get a good score in it (>114): should be helpful even if you have been educated in english-medium institutions

4) Can i expect a ROI fron these colleges: please elaborate; everything included the two schools work out to be 25-28 lakhs for approx. one and a half years; compare this to the 14-odd lakhs for an IIM and I guess the 15-odd lakhs for MDI and IMT G. and that too for a two year course (excl. 1-2 lakhs other expenses)..

Do let me know incase you have a specific query.
Dixit:

Your profile looks good the only thing that may go against you is the IIM (Indian IT Male) phenomenon. Most of the IT guys I've seen get through to the competitive MBA programs across Asia have 4-7 years of experience with about 1-2 years of international work experience-so you may be at the lower end of the spectrum; but not by much.

Talking about your doubts, one at a time:
1) is 700 a sufficient score for both the college: yes, it is sufficient; although these two schools are extremely competitive with the average score from an Indian applicant lying at about 720, a 700 with good acads and extra curr. should not be a deterrent.

2) Which is better in terms of infrastructure, courses and placements: not much to choose between the two, both are good with similar courses and placements; NUS would rank higher in terms of infrastructure, and overall brand value, within and outside Singapore/Asia.

3) is there any sectional cutoff in these colleges: None that the one is aware off; although 32 in VA is a bit on the lower side, I suggest take the TOEFL and get a good score in it (>114): should be helpful even if you have been educated in english-medium institutions

4) Can i expect a ROI fron these colleges: please elaborate; everything included the two schools work out to be 25-28 lakhs for approx. one and a half years; compare this to the 14-odd lakhs for an IIM and I guess the 15-odd lakhs for MDI and IMT G. and that too for a two year course (excl. 1-2 lakhs other expenses)..

Do let me know incase you have a specific query.

Also, to add to my points above (and this I tell a lot of people who ask which one of the two is better): how would knowing whether NUS is better than NBS or not make a difference to your application process? Both schools are very good and extremely competitive, applying to just one of the two, i.e., to the one that is perceivably better, is sheer foolishness. And if you do have to apply to both (which is sanity) then why bother which one is better?

You can keep the worry of 'which one is better' for the time when both schools admit you and you have to submit the acceptance fees. :)

cheers and all the best!!