NUS MBA : Class starting 2010: Essays and Beyond

Hello all Puys :: : This is a thread for all those who are interested in applying to NUS. The essays of NUS are out and they seem pretty interesting. This thread is primarily for discussing the essays for NUS as well as more of the schoo…

Hello all Puys:

This is a thread for all those who are interested in applying to NUS. The essays of NUS are out and they seem pretty interesting.

This thread is primarily for discussing the essays for NUS as well as more of the school's strengths and weaknesses to help people make a more informed decision.

Strict Note:
No profile evaluations
No questions regarding suitability to NUS

Lets get the ground rolling. Any senior already in NUS is free to contribute and share knowledge

Hey I don't find the essays in the application after I login.
Whr do I find them? Plz help

@cattie, When you log into your online application system there is a tab on the left for Documents. When you go there you can download the essay document which is in a pdf format.

Hope that helps.

@indraneel, so have you started writing the essays? I see that the third essay is a direct copy of the Indiana Univ Kelley essay - the cross country trip one.

@cattie, When you log into your online application system there is a tab on the left for Documents. When you go there you can download the essay document which is in a pdf format.

thanks dood... got it

Hope that helps.

@indraneel, so have you started writing the essays? I see that the third essay is a direct copy of the Indiana Univ Kelley essay - the cross country trip one.

I just read the essays yesterday and yes you are right, the mentioned essay is not original.
Such has also been asked in other universities as well in the past.
NUS seems to behave like a US b school in its essay choice.

Have you started with the essays?
When do you plan to complete the essays, i.e. if you have decided on date like near the deadline or much before?
cattie Says
thanks dood... got it

Cattie

Have you started writing the essays?
Cattie

Have you started writing the essays?

no not yet. just saw them today...also the NTU ones.

doesn't look like they r concentrating on our achievements and stuff...all of them seem to focus on how we see ourselves as a manager and how fit we would be.

btw whts ur profile? I'm sure I saw it smwhr don't quite remember though.

I'm in IT with 3 yrs of exp in a startup
GMAT --> 690 AWA --> 5.0
I just read the essays yesterday and yes you are right, the mentioned essay is not original.
Such has also been asked in other universities as well in the past.
NUS seems to behave like a US b school in its essay choice.

Have you started with the essays?
When do you plan to complete the essays, i.e. if you have decided on date like near the deadline or much before?

Nope not even close. I'll probably apply late. Maybe towards December. I've already got my plate full for now.

What other schools are you guys targeting?
no not yet. just saw them today...also the NTU ones.

doesn't look like they r concentrating on our achievements and stuff...all of them seem to focus on how we see ourselves as a manager and how fit we would be.

btw whts ur profile? I'm sure I saw it smwhr don't quite remember though.

I'm in IT with 3 yrs of exp in a startup
GMAT --> 690 AWA --> 5.0

Yeah the essays for NUS are strange. The essays do not intend to look deep down into our profile bit rather look at our management acumen, hence essay 2.
Essay 3 is psychometric but I term such essays as the game of a writer, who can get such essays all over the internet and I do not believe in such essays at all. It seems to be asking, "How good are you at imaginating things and penning your imagoination?"

Nanyang essays this time are much better than the NUS ones and from the essays it seems that they want a more experienced class in terms of the richness of experience with certainly leadership/management exposure. If not then tackling the essays would be a tough ask.

Well these are my thoughts.

Share yours

My profile:
GMAT 710
Domain: IT in a Banking Giant
Designation: Business Solution Consultant
experience: 2+
Applied to : ISB
Other schools: NUS/Nanyang ,yet to decide and then probably MBS

This should answer your query as well GHK

All Puys interested in NUS

Please share your strategies for the NUS essays

Hi,
my profile is 4 yrs - IT(by the time I join it will be 5 yrs WE)
10 - 79.1%
12-62.8%
Btech-73.3%
GMAT-660(49q,30 v)

But I will retake GMAT on March so can I apply now with this score and later I update the adcom with my new score or altogether apply in round 2, I am very confused please help.But my Work ex profile is strong in several aspects.

Regards,
Nil

Hi,
my profile is 4 yrs - IT(by the time I join it will be 5 yrs WE)
10 - 79.1%
12-62.8%
Btech-73.3%
GMAT-660(49q,30 v)

But I will retake GMAT on March so can I apply now with this score and later I update the adcom with my new score or altogether apply in round 2, I am very confused please help.But my Work ex profile is strong in several aspects.

Regards,
Nil

If your work profile is strong, then I think you should go ahead and apply

Current NUS students, A question for you.

How are the placements there in NUS and how is the school for Strategy and Consulting?

iam not sure..whether i can post this query...i haven't taken the GMAT yet...planning to in Nov last week or by Dec 2nd week...Is this enough for the first round?.. If i remember correctly 1st round for NUS end on Jan 31 & NTU on dec 31st?.
Generally how many days will it take to get the full official score from the GMAT date?

Well it takes atleast 2 weeks for the score to reach the destined school if its out of USA.

Yes NUS is 31st Jan.

Hi indraneel,

So how far have u gone with ur essays.
I couldn't gather enough time to sit on it yet, hoping to make some progress this weekend.

I also wanted to know if there is somehow we can contribute to the referee recommendation process Do we have to keep some write-up ready which we can forward to our referees so that they wouldn't have to invest much time?

guys any idea what is total application processing time at NUS...say if I sumbit application tomorrow (in fact I plan to), till what time can i expect a final decision? including interview in between.

Guys ... I need some help to start my application for NUS. I am not able to register yet.

I tried to look for a link to register at the following links:
Application Procedures (Research Programmes) - Registrar's Office - National University of Singapore

and

The NUS MBA - Application Procedures

But I can't get to the page where I can register. Am I missing something here?

On which page did you guys get the option to register?

A quick reply will help as I need to start my app ASAP by getting the essay questions atleast.

Thanks,
Sunil

achillesRules Says
guys any idea what is total application processing time at NUS...say if I sumbit application tomorrow (in fact I plan to), till what time can i expect a final decision? including interview in between.

u r already done with ur essays?? :shocked:
Thats cool...

nd here's the reply to ur ques frm the NUS website-

5. When will I know of the results of my application? If you are shortlisted for an interview, you will be informed within 2-3 months of the date of submission of your online application together with all required documents.
After your interview, you will be informed of the status of your application within 2-3 weeks.