Notre Dame MBA: Students taking questions

Hello everyone, I am Shipra, a first year MBA student at the University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business and am starting this thread to answer any questions you might have about the school and our experience here so far. Lets …

Hello everyone,

I am Shipra, a first year MBA student at the University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business and am starting this thread to answer any questions you might have about the school and our experience here so far.

Lets get the ball rolling, shoot any questions you have. If you have any specific ones, I will try to get the views of other students with similar industry backgrounds.

Good luck with your applications.

Go Irish!

Hi Shipra,

thanks for the initiative. whats the average GMAT there for Indian candidates.
Is the school generous in awarding scholarships and GAs?

Hello everyone,

I am Shipra, a first year MBA student at the University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business and am starting this thread to answer any questions you might have about the school and our experience here so far.

Lets get the ball rolling, shoot any questions you have. If you have any specific ones, I will try to get the views of other students with similar industry backgrounds.

Good luck with your applications.

Go Irish!

Hi Shipra,

Thanks for taking the initiative. I had a few queries about Mendoza that I've listed below:
1. How good is the school for someone who is from IT and plans to stay in IT post MBA
2. Class diversity
3. Placements for international students considering the current economic scenario.

Thanks Again,

Aditya
Hi Shipra,

thanks for the initiative. whats the average GMAT there for Indian candidates.
Is the school generous in awarding scholarships and GAs?

The GMAT is just one of the many criteria. The average GMAT score for the class is 685. Internationals generally have a good GMAT score.

Scholarships are based on the applications received and varies according to the pool. The exact amounts cannot be disclosed.
Hi Shipra,

Thanks for taking the initiative. I had a few queries about Mendoza that I've listed below:
1. How good is the school for someone who is from IT and plans to stay in IT post MBA
2. Class diversity
3. Placements for international students considering the current economic scenario.

Thanks Again,

Aditya

Aditya,

1. There are opportunities for people who want to continue in IT. I am also from IT background.
2. We have a diverse class with representations from many countries and prior work experiences.
3. The economic scenario is tough across all schools but I see the situation improving in terms of internships and full time placements.

Hope that helps.
Aditya,

1. There are opportunities for people who want to continue in IT. I am also from IT background.
2. We have a diverse class with representations from many countries and prior work experiences.
3. The economic scenario is tough across all schools but I see the situation improving in terms of internships and full time placements.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the clarifications. Had a few other queries specific to my profile that I would like to email. Can you PM me your email address?

Best,

Aditya

Hello Shipra,

I was considering Mendoza after I received some communication from ND (via GMAC). However, a study of the school's website has left me a little uncertain. The sources from where I read about ND (BusinessWeek, FT, the likes), talk a lot about the Catholic background and the Football culture.
I would like to hear from you, if there is something about Mendoza that is not captured in these websites, that can help me connect with the school in a better way. What kind of a place is Notre Dame, Indiana? How are the professors? Which areas are the strength of this school? Are the students stressed about where they will be working post-MBA? Is the curriculum fairly international in its approach to Business education? And, something more specific to my career interest, where do Mendoza graduate find themselves in consulting and technology firms?

A sincere thanks in advance,
Aditya

Hello Shipra,

I was considering Mendoza after I received some communication from ND (via GMAC). However, a study of the school's website has left me a little uncertain. The sources from where I read about ND (BusinessWeek, FT, the likes), talk a lot about the Catholic background and the Football culture.
I would like to hear from you, if there is something about Mendoza that is not captured in these websites, that can help me connect with the school in a better way. What kind of a place is Notre Dame, Indiana? How are the professors? Which areas are the strength of this school? Are the students stressed about where they will be working post-MBA? Is the curriculum fairly international in its approach to Business education? And, something more specific to my career interest, where do Mendoza graduate find themselves in consulting and technology firms?

A sincere thanks in advance,
Aditya

Hi Aditya,

To begin with, Notre Dame is a small quiet place with mostly student population. But Chicago is less than 2 hrs away so ppl can go there for bigger events and networking. We have real good professors here but first two modules mostly have core subjects, so you get to choose more electives after that. The school is strong in finance and marketing, but we have a lot more students taking consulting this year.
Internationals are generally more concerned about placements since most companies dont sponsor visas, but I think thats a problem every where and ppl coming here should be mentally prepared to put in more efforts. By the way all my seniors got internships, though the kind of firms vary largely.
As for football...yes its real big here.
One more thing that I will highlight is the Notre Dame community, which is really good and you also have access to a huge alum network who are very helpful.

Hope that helps.

Hi ship123,
I have applied to the notredame. I have a video interview scheduled on 7th october. Can you please elaborate more on the interview process and expected question? What are the expectations from an international applicant in general?

hi shipra

I ve gotten an admit for fall 2012. however, im not able to login into the becoming irish website and get further details on my admission offer. any idea why or what to do about it? the admissions team seems to be on a long vacation and am dying of the suspense!

Aparna

Hi Aparna,

Congrats on your admit to Notre Dame. Its a grat school to be in.
Right now the office is closed for Christmas and New year and will reopen on Jan 3rd. You should recieve a hard copy of your offer letter in a few days. You will also get a mail with your login credentials.
If you do not receive these in a few days you can call the office after Jan 3rd.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Shipra

hi shipra

I ve gotten an admit for fall 2012. however, im not able to login into the becoming irish website and get further details on my admission offer. any idea why or what to do about it? the admissions team seems to be on a long vacation and am dying of the suspense!

Aparna