NITIE 2006 GD/PI Experiences

Hello NITIE call getters, With the GD/PI process starting tomorrow (the 7th), all NITIE call getters please post your NITIE 2006 GD/PI experiences on this thread. ATB to everyone :slight_smile: Surfacer

Hello NITIE call getters,

With the GD/PI process starting tomorrow (the 7th), all NITIE call getters please post your NITIE 2006 GD/PI experiences on this thread.

ATB to everyone :)

Surfacer

Good initiative...
anyhow,all the best to all the NITIE aspirants. i've got my GD/PI on the very last day. i.e.10th...

: Cheers!!!

Hey ppl,

Wish you all the very best for the GD/PI. hope ull all post ur experiences in this thread starting tomorrow. Im hving mine on the 10th.

Chao

Had my first ever GD today ... not considering a silly IMS GD.

My 3rd PI disaster. Till now my worst PI was at L&T; Chiyoda followed closely by XLRI last year. NITIE now takes the cake.

Profile: M.Tech Chem. Engg. (the reason i am being killed everywhere)
Calls: Laxmi Narayan Mittal (lucknow, nitie, mdi 😃 )

GD: Free trade v/s Protected Trade.

10 guys ... my first ever GD so cant say whether it was a fish market or not, but was dominated by 3-4 forceful & good speakers. Unfortunately I felt they did not give others (moi included) a chance to speak. 20 min GD where I sopke just once :huh: Gave a good point on license raj (happy about that) Finally pushed others out myself to summarise the GD and gave a decent summary (hopefully). But just once in 20 mins :(

Pre_interview:
with a girl sitting outside to guide me. she told me the chem engineers of their batch are the faves of the profs 😃 ... is that good news or bad ???

PI:

The good part ... they realised it was my budday and wished me

Thats it, rest was nightmare :(

Nomenclature:
:huh: --> Foot in my mouth
HAHAHA --> you fool, you dont even know this
hehehe --> I am sorry sir, I am too dumb to know this :(

P: 5 interviewers
den: the prey (me)

den: may I come in ?
P: yes yes

P: did you cut the cake here or have you bought it here ?
den: eh ...

P: its your budday today right ?
den: 😃 yes sir, did the formalities yesterday .... good start

P: your scores are decreasing 73 ssc; 70 diploma; 63 BE
den: sir i have 8.7/10 in my mtech :)

den: the low BE scores is due to low score in sem III (almost balbbered about sem 3 KT) :huh:

P: tell about your self
*time to give my foot some exercise*
den: i was named so because my dad was impressed by dennis lillee & dennis ammis )
P: which team did they play for, bowler or batsman ?
den: :huh: lillee was a bowler .. proll yengland
P: sure ?
den: maybe australia
P: sure
den: yes yes no other team
P: HAHAHAHA

contnued about myself:
reached a point where we encountered "Ethics" :(

P: you mean to say that the entire world is not ethical
den: mumble mumble .. not all ... mumble

P: what would be unethical
den: sir if you ask for money to give me an admission then it will be unethical :biggrin:
P: tutuin fees ? *sneaky:
den: i am talking about back-door entry

P: what di d you do after Mtech ... past 7 months
den: helped my dad :)
P: what exactly ?
den: he has a diversified business interest in stock-broking; online lotteries & marketing of Cash cards (please ask me about these)

P: diff between lotteries & stock market
den: depeds how you play the game
P: both are gambling ?
den: depends, stock can be analysed
P: i can analyse the winning mo's of lotteries & come to a conclusion
den: but the analysis does not incorporate ht emal-practices in the trade
*back to ethics* :(
P: you mean there is cheating
den: yes sir, told about an incident where 2 guys won 35 lakhs in a week because the lottery co. had a pattern in its cheating (dad told me about this)

P: which means they analysed the data
den: yes sir data mining can be done

P: big words ... can you explain data minijng ??
den: :biggrin: gave a really wonderful example from my brothers project on the detailing the US govt's use of data mining to get hold of terrorists
*deserve a call for this answer alone, felt really proud*

den: in chemical engg. also you can use principal component analysis for data mining (:huh:)
P: what is PCA ..
den: dont remember ... was telling from a friend's project

P: you rely too much on your brother, father & friend
den: sir I try to learn from them :)

P: ever heard about matrix algebra
den: yes

P: fractals ... god knows what names he mentioned :(
den: no sir :(

*turning point*
P: tell us about the bhopal tragedy
den: 😞 recalled the entire accident the lapses, the cooling , the flare, the alarm .etc. except for the compound (methyl isocyanate) :(

P: your awareness is lacking ...
den: mumble

P: tell us about process simulation
den: gave an example about a chemical reactor & various softwares

P: tell us how you will optimize a chemical plant
den: *lapse* forgot to mention the optimization criterion .. the 1st & 2nd derivative stuff ..maxima etc. ... ... completely blanked out . costly miss :(

P: you realize that you will be 30 by the time you pass-out ? will have problems in placement
den: :wow: (did he read my birth year) sir am only 24 right now :)

P: still not convinced with your reason for MBA ... do you like collecting degrees ?
den: :angry: I am not a serial degree collector ... gave gyaan about some needs of my dad's business, some personal desires 😃 .. expanding contracting horizons :)

P: ok
den: thankU

P: enjoy your budday & call us if you have a party in the eve .
den: sir I will enjoy more if you give me a positive response
P: we are very ethical guys we wont tell that now :(

den: good day sir

it keeps getting better
*home*
Watchman: kaun ho aap
W: salesman not allowed
den: *wondering if am still wearing that ti e*
den: main yaha rehta hu
w: flat no.
den: blah blah
W: sign karke jao
den: oye pagal ho gaya hai
w; theek hai jao

den: haash

the agony ends 😞

it keeps getting better
*home*
w; theek hai jao

Loved it man.

Anyway, its time to wait and watch.

Happy Birthday once again.. :bday:
Just finished with my gd/pi in the morning. Didnt really enjoy the process..]

Profile :
cat 99.94
Nit calicut 2004 passout..- bad acads, lots of extra curriculars
Work exp 9 months ( resigned last march for cat )

First of all I dont understand the logic of not giving time slots. So here we have about 150+ students assembled well before 8 am ..and guess when the process starts 9!! I pity the poor soul who has gotta wait for his interview till the evening.

Before the presentation starts u gotta check in and so we were all asked to form a line and go to a desk and mark our presence. And frankly speaking the behaviour of the staff there left a lot to be desired ..esp the desk where u are supposed to go to if u havent got ur original call letter..felt like u were in some govt office:shocked: . infactt there is an unmistakable bureaucratic feel about the entire place..the silver lining is that the student volunteers were pretty cordial and were genuinely trying to help

The presentation is the routine affair..placements, batch profile etc.. after that the dean academic outlined the process that would take place

All the students have been divided into about 17 groups..and there are 5 panels for the interview. Infact this is what is given on the cover of ur call letter ..mine read Gr/Pi : 2/2 which means 2nd group for gd and 2nd panel for interview.

After the presentation we were asked to go to another room where the verification process is going on.. a long table with lots of people ( and lots of confusion) ..and there was one lady ordering things aroundand the look on the student volunteers itself says how easy it si to deal with her!!!

After that we are asked to line up and proceed to th e gd room.
Our grp had 9 people . there were about 5 profs for the gd. Seating was in the form of a wide arc.. no tables , just chairs. U needent take any material. Pencils and pads are given.
Process was explained as.. 2 min to think . 18 min to discuss and 2 min to summarise.
There was a laptop kept facing us and the topic pops up on that. There is also a timer on the screen so we are always aware of the time. We start when the buzzer goes off.

The topic was should a good manager do the right things or things rightly..
Didnt like the topic all that much. The grp was cordial..but points put forth were so so

After that again we are asked to line up !!!:angry: and proceed to the waiting room for the interview. Thankfully I dont have to wait long for I am the 2 nd called.

Panel 2M + 2 F
Middle aged prof m1, old prof m2 , L 1 and L2

I enter and am taken a bit aback by the arrangementprofs siting behind a table..and there is a solitarty chair almost at the centre of the room! A bit far off

M1: so tell me about urself
M1; which are ur fav subjects?
Me: automobile related
M1: the lady sitting nxt to me knows no tecgh..sell her a scooter..
Me: start off with asking her her requirements .m1 cuts me
M1: cut the utility , fuel efficiency aspect..she can read the manual..just tell her the diff between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke
Me: ( :eh: why didnt u say so then!! ) I explained
M1: whats the factor or safety in an engine
Me: ??: no idea
M1: spring?
Me: tells him..
M1: so why higher
Me: tells him something..from his reaction couldnt judge whether it was right or not
M1: whast clearance volume?
Me: tells..
M2: so why nitie?
Me: about to start of with the good insti ..but I utter that an dthey all sayeven all the iims and lots of other colleges are good!
L1: so which all iim calls ?
Me: b & K
M2: so if u get k and nitie which wil u choose
Me: said I will need to research on it more ( yeah right!!!:satisfie: )
M1: so whast the dif between a port and a valve in an engine :neutral: ( now where ddi that come from )
Me: not surejust said that there are inlet valves etc !!
M1: port is in 2 stroke and valve in 4..he then told the lady to take over and left the room
L1: so how are u in economics
Me: okay
L!: what are direct taxes and indirect taxes ?
Me : sales tax indirect tax and then ( huge blunder ) curtoms direct tax!!!! ( shit where did I get that from) the moment I said that I had a oops look on my face
L1: ( smiling) so what about income tax?
Me: direct tax..
L1: which is better direct or indirect?
Me: mumbles something..totaly unconvincing
L1: so what arre ur comments about the budget allocations to the various sectors ? u feel any have been left out.
Me: sheepishly..dont know the sectoral allocations!!:(
M2: so which paper do u read
Me: hindu
M2: so how many columns are there in the hindu???:wow:
Me : ( wtf ) I dont know ( damn of all qs related to a paper..columns??)

L1: well that will be all.. thank u
Me : thank u

All in all I feel it was a below par performance..just dint feel good.
Among other things..the campus is pretty beautiful..and boy it sure is green ! students helpful and profs were also friendly enough but still the entire process , thanks to the other organizing staff I guess..felt too rigid
Anyway all the best for those who are yet to have it..

thanx for writing ur exp guys...5 panelists !!! that too after one poor guy...( unlike SPJ where it was 5:6)..that'll be tough to handle..:-)

Pre_interview:
with a girl sitting outside to guide me. she told me the chem engineers of their batch are the faves of the profs 😃 ... is that good news or bad ???

PI:

the agony ends :(

Was intvw for mba or some chemical company????:neutral:
Run Time Error Says
Was intvw for mba or some chemical company????:neutral:

It can happen to u sometimes....
In IIT Mumbai's interview I was asked abt the derivations of all kinds of formulas in Maths/statistics....
I came out flabbergasted... I thot I had gone in for an interview for admission to a PHd in maths !!!

SO u cant really say what these interviewers are gonna ask u !

Cheers

My 3rd PI disaster. Till now my worst PI was at L&T; Chiyoda followed closely by XLRI last year. NITIE now takes the cake.

Profile: M.Tech Chem. Engg. (the reason i am being killed everywhere)
Calls: Laxmi Narayan Mittal (lucknow, nitie, mdi 😃 )

GD tera pehla ho ya doosra.. you have cracked NITIE big time mate.. 😃 Ho jayega..
Ayushman Bhavo!

Very well posted. Great interview denishwa. Hope you make it :)

Edit by ReachMonil : Dont quote long posts.

it keeps getting better
*home*
w; theek hai jao

I think the watchman was also a part of the panel@NITIE!
It was NITIE's strategy to check how you work under stress in real-life situation!

Hi people who have finished or will have their interviews tomorrrow, is there a shortage of bedding in NITIE, just got a mail from my assigned 'buddy' to bring bed-sheets and pillow.

Please reply asap,

Cheers

Tatha

Hi people who have finished or will have their interviews tomorrrow, is there a shortage of bedding in NITIE, just got a mail from my assigned 'buddy' to bring bed-sheets and pillow.

Please reply asap,

Cheers

Tatha

Me too got a mail frm my buddy to bring bedsheets and pillows.I am leaving tomorrow night.So can anyone tell me to add these things to my luggage or not.
BTW my interview is on 10th.So nyone else having his interview on the same day plz contact.bye

who's the assigned buddy..I too sent my fax, and that too a long time back..I was never informed who my buddy is...:o

I think the watchman was also a part of the panel@NITIE!
It was NITIE's strategy to check how you work under stress in real-life situation!

good one 😃

BTW, what time did the interview process get over. Want to know so that I can plan my return journey back home

surfacer

hi puys

great posts regarding the experiences. had a lot of fun who each of the profs was from the questions asked . and it was good to interact with u guys who came over for the GD/PI.

well today, due to some unavoidable reasons, the GD/PI process took a little longer than expected. noone can ignore murphy's law 😞 ....
the process extended till 7.30 today... but likely to get over by evening 6 from tomorrow onwards.

it was quite evident in some of your posts that u were pissed off with the process. well rest assured a lot of thought has gone into the formulation of the process and there are quite a few constraints which are quite not explainable. still if u have any suggestions to improve the process for next year please pm me.. would be a great help.

but somehow wasnt convinced with the crib in some of the posts.. felt like mentioning a few things here..

why the fuss abt tech interviews?? arent we engineers and supposed to know a few basic stuff about what we read for four years?? and arent tech questions asked in other bskools as well?? but ya if one is asked to write the differential equation for the stress in a beam.. even i would crib ..

and regarding the admin mam... .. she is quite a handful.. but we are there to take care.. and i dont think anyone of you had to interact with her directly.. did u? :wow:

well hope u had a pleasant stay on campus and was a day to remember...

About the overall feedback abt the gd/pis.. from what i came to know, the GDs were quite peaceful and most of the guys had good interviews.

if u hv any problems, feel free to contact any of the impact members when on campus

me... ajit
akshar
tarun
deepak
karthik aka "yak"
ranjan
or any of the student volunteers.

hope u have a enjoyable experience and a smashing gd/pi. meet u at nitie.

cheers

Ajit
Team IMpact
NITIE batch of 2007

Please reply asap,

Cheers

Tatha

I am posting this from the NITIE's hotel office... there is a lot of newspapers and mags to go thro in here and yeah the net speed is also fast :D

There are no bedspreads or pillows. You need to bring it along with you.

My GD/PI is on 10 March 2006. Hope to see you there.