Need some guidance

Hiii First of all i want to tell something about me. I am a 3rd year BTech Chemical engg. student of IIT Madras. My CGPA is 7.5 and i have not done anything in the extra curricular activities. I have decided to do an MBA and I need some…

Hiii

First of all i want to tell something about me. I am a 3rd year BTech Chemical engg. student of IIT Madras. My CGPA is 7.5 and i have not done anything in the extra curricular activities.

I have decided to do an MBA and I need some guidance for that.

I have 3 options :

1. IIM's

2. Top B schools abroad

3. ISB

I have just started my CAT 05 preperation. If I get into an IIM then that will be fine.

But if not then I am planning to join a software company.

I would like to have the answers of following questions:

1. What does the top US or Europian B schools look for besides GMAT score and work ex? What are the exact requirements for top 10-20 schools and how is the software work ex in a good firm like IBM or infy considered for these schools?

2. How important is IIT 'tag' and my CGPA for both CAT and GMAT ?

3. Which option is better for me after 2-3 years of work ex CAT or GMAT ?

4. For doing an MBA abroad I will have to take a loan of Rs. 40-50 lacs so is it easy to get such a huge sum ?

5. I came to know that many guys join ISB despite having GMAT scores of 700 or 750+ , good work ex and acads. So how is ISB compared to the IIM's and the top US B schools ?

And finally acoording to my present situation which option is the best for my career?

Hoping to get some detailed replies on all my queries from u guys

Thanks

Bye

Hiii

First of all i want to tell something about me. I am a 3rd year BTech Chemical engg. student of IIT Madras. My CGPA is 7.5 and i have not done anything in the extra curricular activities.

I have decided to do an MBA and I need some guidance for that.

I have 3 options :

1. IIM's

2. Top B schools abroad

3. ISB

I have just started my CAT 05 preperation. If I get into an IIM then that will be fine.

But if not then I am planning to join a software company.

I would like to have the answers of following questions:

1. What does the top US or Europian B schools look for besides GMAT score and work ex? What are the exact requirements for top 10-20 schools and how is the software work ex in a good firm like IBM or infy considered for these schools?

2. How important is IIT 'tag' and my CGPA for both CAT and GMAT ?

3. Which option is better for me after 2-3 years of work ex CAT or GMAT ?

4. For doing an MBA abroad I will have to take a loan of Rs. 40-50 lacs so is it easy to get such a huge sum ?

5. I came to know that many guys join ISB despite having GMAT scores of 700 or 750+ , good work ex and acads. So how is ISB compared to the IIM's and the top US B schools ?

And finally acoording to my present situation which option is the best for my career?

Hoping to get some detailed replies on all my queries from u guys

Thanks

Bye

I don't want to comment on your chances of getting admission. But, to answer your questions

1. Work Ex : It actually does not matter from which company, rather what you have done make the difference. So, if you have performed brilliantly in a small company compared to being another team member in a big one, the former holds you in good stead.
There is nothing like requirements from B-Schools for work-ex.

2. "IIT" tag does not matter in CAT or GMAT exams. Only, if you make it to the interview stage, it might put you in a slightly better position.

3. After 2-3 years of work ex, according to me GMAT is better. But, you have to analyze your options at that time. I don't know about you to say which is better for you.

4. Don't worry about loans.

5. ISB Vs. IIM's : Check the isb-pgp-05 Yahoo Groups. There is a lot of discussion going on there.

Buddy, members here can provide you some guidance. We cannot decide your career.

So, prepare well for CAT-05 and crack it.

There are a lot of books that offer you information about the various MBA programs. Check out the book by Princeton.

- Ramki.

i would like to add to wht ramki said.....in US gmat score is not given importance...i mean all the b-schools have range even a gmat score of abt 680 can get u into wharton and there is a chance that a score of 760 may not get u into whaton.....b- schools in US look for diversity... a 4 year work ex in software company is a quite common these days...i am not saying its impossible but its comparatively tougher.....i would suggest that u prepare well and try to bell the cat....thats the best option i feel for u.....well this is jus my opinion....rest is up to u to decide..,...all the best...:) Nitin

Thanks a lot Ramki and Nitin for your suggestions.