Need Help 610 (Q 47, V27)

Hey PUYS, Gave my GMAT Yesterday, I got only a 610… To tell the truth … it was a bit unexpected… was scoring consistently in the 700 / 720 range in the Prep Tests. Gave the PowerPrep 2 a day before the test and landed up a 710 … Not su…

Hey PUYS,

Gave my GMAT Yesterday, I got only a 610.. To tell the truth .. it was a bit unexpected.... was scoring consistently in the 700 / 720 range in the Prep Tests. Gave the PowerPrep 2 a day before the test and landed up a 710 ... Not sure what went wrong on Test Day ... Maybe a bad hair day ... !!!!!

In retrospect... I probably assumed that I would do well in Verbal ... not that it s been my forte, but the prep tests never really gave me much of a reason to worry about as it always around the 36/37 mark..... Even on Test Day ... felt I was on track in the verbal section .. I knew I had faltered a bit on the Quant ... so the Q 47 was expected !!!!

I am planning to give the GMAT Again .. not that I have other options. Probable a bigger mistake was ignoring the Kaplan even though I had the material with me ... I did the Princeton, OG 11 and the OG Supplements for Verbal and Quant.

Now... I need advice from the PG GMAT Guru s on what to do !! and how I should go about my prep ... I have been following PG for a while now and picked whatever info about GMAT from PG.

Please suggest & advise on materials, prep methods and anything else that i need to do. I am planning to give the GMAT in another 5-6 weeks ... as I have already been preparing for 2 months before I lose the tempo ....

Thanks

Hey,

Got my AWA Scores yesterday .....was happy to see that atleast I had done well on that... got 5.5 .......... :satisfie:
Atleast it s something to take home from the Test ......

Adios

was that POWER PREP or GMAT prep which one you scored 710 last day?

tell us more about your earlier approach so that we could suggest other strat.
...key is identifying your weaknesses. grid analysis might be helpful for you finding where you make max mistakes... work upon them.
Also check archives: the threads by amitnistian, Keya and imjimmy.

Hi,

The last test was GMATPrep ...

My prep was something like this, started with the Princeton and finished the book in 5 days.... I completed the exercises at the back of the book. Then I moved to the OG Supplement books starting with Quant .... PS and DS. Simulataneously.. used to alternate with the Verbal Supplement for RC and SC. While doing SC, I used to do a chapter from the Manhattan SC and then do the questions in the Verbal Review for tht chapter... set of questions are given at the end of each chapter in the Manhattan book. Took GMATPrep1 at that time and landed with a 670. Again Verbal was the let down. Started working on the CR s also... did not apply any specific strategy ... but found i was making too many mistakes and slowed down while solving the questions.... I am not sure how effective that turned out to be ...

After finished both the guides with about a month to go before the test .. I took the OG 11, started doing RC / DS on one day and PS / CR / SC on the other day .. alternated like this for about 2 weeks .. after each set of 10 questions .. used to check the key and the answer explanations..... Took more tests in between Princeton and the older PowerPrep. .... scores were between 650 and 700 .... mostly with the verbal howering around 35 - 38 ...

I had the Kaplan ... but I did not take it very seriously ... just went thro the exercises... with around 2 weeks to go .. i reviewed the OG Supplements and the OG 11 for all the mistakes ..... then made markings of important questions ... and went thro them again 2 days before test day ....

Even on test day .. i got a bold face as my 6th question .. so i was pretty excited to know that i was more or less on the rite track .. dunno what went wrong after that ...

Please advise.. I am giving GMAT again ... after 2 months ... so I need to hit the books rite away .. am taking a break for a week now and plan to hit the books again by next week.. this time I am starting with Kaplan ..also planning to get the Kaplan Verbal Supplement and mayb a copy of the Kaplan800.. or something ...
Also I am lining up around 8 tests... including the GMAT Prep . ....

OK. You've prepared enough from OG supplements, now you can safely keep them aside

(did you get repeats from OG supplement in you POWER Prep /GMAT prep? b/c that could skew your score and get you wrong idea about where you stand 😞 )

due to limited resources i cant write much here. but
re-solve problems of OG-11. do it at least 35-40 in one sitting for each section a day....
dont rush with books. give them at least10days each.

hey,

thanks for the advise.... I did see some questions 5-6 in the GMAT Prep Tests, but I don't think it could really skew the scores... anyway ...

I am ready to buy more materials if required.. thinking about the Kaplan Verbal Workout ... and mayb the Kaplan800.. for the tough questions ...

"due to limited resources i cant write much here. but " meaning ????

Thanks

limited resources means- I'm on travel and dont have PC. I browse via cell phone. there's some word limit therefore I cant write longer posts. 😞

my regular online forum friends know that aim-wsc is on mobile since a month 😞

hey ...

sorry bout tht .. didn't know .... anyway ... will keep u posted on the prep part.... pls provide ur suggestions ... will need as much as i can get....

thnx

Hey there,

Just saw your post ..

I am in the same boat you were in ..scored 700 in the prep tests and 550 on the actual gmat ! dunno what happened. Same thing that happened to you in verbal . Thought i was on track , but was not. Got 41 Q and 25 V.

Did you take the test again ...what was the score?

Any pointers for the second attempt ? Need a bit of motivation here!!

Hi..
I too got a bad score yesterday... 600 Quant 44 Verbal 28..Didnt expected Verbal to be soo hard...prepared for around 5-6 months....
I am not planning to give GMAT again...Had dreams of getting into Queen's Canada for 1 yr MBA but now my dreams seems to be shattered...
Any other collegs where I can try my luck..

GMAT 600
Work Expericne 3.5
Industry IT

Cheers
Wianks