Need advise on B-School Choices

This is my first blog here. Here is my profile: I am a 25-year-old IT Engineer working in (where else?) Bangalore, India. I have 3 years of full-time professional work experience as of now (will complete 4 years by the time I enroll since I p…

This is my first blog here. Here is my profile:

I am a 25-year-old IT Engineer working in (where else?) Bangalore, India. I have 3 years of full-time professional work experience as of now (will complete 4 years by the time I enroll since I plan to apply for Fall 2007 admissions), including 1 year in Germany. I speak German too. My academics have been pretty decent throughout and am giving my GMAT in early September. I have decent extra-curriculars IEEE Student Leader Award, Technical Paper presentation Award and Creative Writing Award.

Since I have a technical background and would like to move into managerial roles (and possibly entrepreneurial role) in the same industry post-MBA, I am looking at schools which have good Technology and Information Systems programs. Also my work experience involved significant technology product development (and not just software)exposure and interaction with production units and end customers (which are major European Car Manufacturers). Hence I would also be looking at schools which are strong in Operations and Supply Chain Management.

Because of my lower number of years of experience (which is below average for most of the top schools), I eliminated Stanford and MIT Sloan. Low acceptance rate was another reason I eliminated these two schools, since I believe they are way too high for me.

My list stands like this as of today:

1. Haas at UC, Berkeley - It is a General Management Program with a strong Technology concentration. The recruitment data does not scream finance. Also, it is closer to the Silicon Valley, which might improve my chances of getting a good internship. It is a public school and the expenses are quite less when compared to the other top schools. Besides, the school also offers loans for Internaional students without a US co-signer.

2. Ross at UMichigan, Ann Arbor: It is quite well known for Operations and strategy and has a high precentage of International students. Expenses are quite reasonable and the aid situation looks good too.

3. Smith at UMaryland: It has a pronounced Technology program with a generous sprinkling of Entrepreneurship and Supply Chain courses. Since I also dream of having my own Tech Entrepreneurial venture someday, this school seems to be the perfect fit for me. The aid scene looks good and the school's career center offers assistance for international students to find jobs.

I am thinking of applying to Tippie at UIowa or Boston University SOM as one of the safe schools, but I have still not decided on that.

I am also targeting at a couple of schools in the UK. I eliminated LBS simply because everything about the school screams "finance". I have shortlisted:

1. Said at Oxford: Good Tech/Operations courses coupled with very good scholarship options. High diversity of students and the Oxford reputation have also driven me to this choice.

2. Judge at Cambridge: The reasons are similar to that of Oxford.

Of course I will revise my list based on my GMAT score. I invite comments from veterans of MBA applications and prospective MBAs like me. Please give me your opinions, suggestions etc about my choice.

just a note:
by your criteria, Ross would be a long shot since the average experience over there is also much higher.
also MIT is known for a good Supply Management study course.

my opinion: you are trying to be too safe.

Kunal

Newagehumour - Consider European Schools as well. INSEAD & IESE for example have great ties to the European Automotive Industry. Your spoken German skills would make you an attractive candidate given your experience & skills.

newagehumour Says
This is my first blog here. ....

Err.... on Discussion Forums as ours, its called a Post!
just a note:
by your criteria, Ross would be a long shot since the average experience over there is also much higher.
also MIT is known for a good Supply Management study course.

my opinion: you are trying to be too safe.

Kunal

Hmmm, do u think so? OK, then I will re-consider the list. I will go through the details of Duke, UNC, MIT Sloan again. Any other school worth considering?
reachmonil Says
Err.... on Discussion Forums as ours, its called a Post!

Oh right...oversight!
baccardisprite Says
Newagehumour - Consider European Schools as well. INSEAD & IESE for example have great ties to the European Automotive Industry. Your spoken German skills would make you an attractive candidate given your experience & skills.

INSEAD is a general management course and they do not guarantee an admit into their Fontainbleau campus. One might end up getting an admit into their Singapore campus as well, right? Moreover chances of Aid from the university are slim.

Regarding IESE, how well are these Spanish schools recognised in the industry? I mean Spain or even Continental Europe is not considered a hot job destination (correct me if I am wrong)
Hi guys I too would like to have some suugestions regarding the choice of business schoold. I am a mechanical engineer and will have an experience of about 4 years by the time I apply to the business schools. I am going for my GMAT in the last week of Aug 2006.

I have been working in engineering services sector for past 1.5 years and also have prior experience of 1.5 years from manufacturing sector.

Now my first question is that which field should i choose for my MBA?
Secondly i would like to know how advicable is it to make a shift to some field like finance? i want to shift to finance as this is what i wanna do further in my life. but looking at my education and experience i feel like it's gonna be a hard task ahead. Moreover I might not be able to leverage my experience while applying any such field. Therefore, I would ike to have some views on this from some of you there, who have a better understanding of admission process and the job opportunities after MBA. Would I be able to show my experience as relevant, if i am doing my MBA in fianance, to the recruiters during placements?

I have made a tentative list of institutes. Please comment. List is like this
1. Standford
2. MIT Sloan
3. INSEAD
4. IESE
5. ISB (India)

This list is based on the assumption that I would get a score around 700+

Please send in your feedbacks so that I can make a right decision before going for my GMAT.

You can also mail me at [email protected]

Hope to see a lot of inputs from all you people there.

have a good day!

Hi Suheel,

As a fellow MBA aspirant, I would like to suggest the following: Go for finance only if you really have a passion for it and not just for the money. I know that Investment banks offer the highest salaries in almost all the B-Schools, but it is not possible for everyone to get that kind of salaries. I have spoken to a lot of people who have been through their MBAs (and also to people who have made shifts like this) and making a shift from manufacturing/engineering services to finance is very difficult. You need to be dedicated right from day one. You should work really hard and make the maximum use of your electives and internship. In any case, even if you manage to get a job in the finance industry, you will have to start at the bottom.

Also, if you are looking at a career shift, then normally it is very difficult if you are going through a 1-year MBA (like INSEAD and ISB, which are ur choices). It is always better to go for 2-year MBA courses like the ones in the US and LBS. You will have an opportunity to complete an internship and that might prove to be crucial!

Your list does not include any of the schools which are known for finance. Consider applying to Wharton (considered the guru of finance), Chicago GSB and LBS (which is also a 2-year course by the way).
newagehumour Says
INSEAD is a general management course and they do not guarantee an admit into their Fontainbleau campus. One might end up getting an admit into their Singapore campus as well, right? Moreover chances of Aid from the university are slim. Regarding IESE, how well are these Spanish schools recognised in the industry? I mean Spain or even Continental Europe is not considered a hot job destination (correct me if I am wrong)

No school guarantees an admit to any campus. The only way to find out is to apply. If you have to start in Singapore, you can graduate at Fontainbleu.

Agreed, INSEAD's lack of a collateral-free loan program makes it less attractive. Then again, it's not stopping people from applying.

IESE is widely perceived as the best school in the EU after the INSEAD/LBS/IMD tier. They get some very good companies to recruit. Hot job destination depends on the job you want.

If you want REAL hot job destinations, go to an IIM or ISB in India, or a CEIBS in China.
No school guarantees an admit to any campus. The only way to find out is to apply. If you have to start in Singapore, you can graduate at Fontainbleu.

Agreed, INSEAD's lack of a collateral-free loan program makes it less attractive. Then again, it's not stopping people from applying.

IESE is widely perceived as the best school in the EU after the INSEAD/LBS/IMD tier. They get some very good companies to recruit. Hot job destination depends on the job you want.

If you want REAL hot job destinations, go to an IIM or ISB in India, or a CEIBS in China.

Hey Bacardi,
I have been researching INSEAD and IESE for the past 2 days. Incidentally, one of my friends in Germany happened to know this Indian guy who had done his MBA from IESE and I got his number. I called him and he was extremely helpful. I am knid of getting interested in IESE. Moreover, I have always had this thing for Spanish culture and language. I have been there (Barcelona and Mallorca) and these cities are vibrant.

Thanks for the advice!

ppl lloking at SCM/mfg can also look at Tepper@carnegie. highly quants oriented MBA.

bizskool Says
ppl lloking at SCM/mfg can also look at Tepper@carnegie. highly quants oriented MBA.

Yeah, I am looking into that too. Some of the the alumni have told me to look into UNC - Kenan Flagler also. Is it known for technology/operations/SCM?

How good is S P Jain GMBA program ? Will I get admission through my work experience ?