My Life as a Bank Officer

A repository of experiences.

Even after you get selected please come back and post about your life as bank officer.

Hi all,

Fellow puys have been posting their experiences as a Bank PO in the preparation thread for a while now. What happens is a newcomer doesn't have a ready reference to a repository of experiences.

Let this thread be one such repository.

Cheers!
Winner

P.S. - it would be nice if you reposted your experiences from older threads here.

Its not that you posted once and its done, keep coming and keep giving an insider's view of the industry.

You know how much you valued such info, before you joined!!!

Cheers!
Winner

Starting this thread with the challenges being faced by one of the puys...
we need more experiences to get an all round view

Find the post at the following place:

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/career-discussions/60071-probationary-officers-test-aspirants-nov-489.html#post2634334

Today I will writing an emotional post for all puys. do not worry it is not the end of journey for me at pagalguy but I will try giving an insight into my experience in a bank like BOB. Please do not groan over this post because my personal experience can be ur story also

When I joined on 15.12.2010 I was the most happiest person on earth for the reason that I had become an officer at the age of 22 and new opportunities would come to me as banking offers them all. Also I always wanted to make a career in finance as I am from commerce background. It was my own choice though my parents were a bit apprehensive as they knew that it is not safe for gals to move to another city and banking involves mobility.

The day I joined , it was a ladies branch as many officers were ladies. I was too happy as I was given Delhi and that too a ladies branch. So the safety concerns vanished. Though my posting is not permanent in the said branch but yet I continue in the same branch. The Credit manager there is a lady and initally I was happy working under her. She came to know that I am gud typist so she gave me all the typing work relating to documentation. She used to sit with me and tell me that what ever I tell u fill in the blanks. Whenever I used to request her to allow me to sit in operations, she would allow that for an hour or so and citing compulsions on work front, she would call me back and then make me do all the incomplete work that her predeccessor had left for her since the month of september. She never explained me any of the concepts or logic behind what we are doing. Simply made me type. Next she also told me to take out documents relating to loans and update the computers with the date of documents and LAD i.e. Letter of Acknowledgement of Debt. I was happy with the work because I thought that now I know LAD and had read it. But in reality I was being made a fool

3 months passed and this continued. The lady never taught me how to open a loan account. Neither did she explained it to me anything. I did not even know how to open a savings account. I was getting frustrated day by day. One day when I was fed up of her attitude, I went to the Chief Manager and told her that enought of typing. I am not here for typing as I am not a typist. This spoiled the relationship but I stood firm and now i sit in operations. Was I wrong? Though I and my credit manager r on talking terms, but yet I despise her for many things. I do not wish to complain futher for the reason that in other branches, I have heard many ppl are involved in wrong doings and do not treat ladies staff well and also because the branch is not that far from my place. But for how long will I keep compromising my learning for my safety

In branches , nobody will take care of you as people are there to make u do ur entire work. There are a few ppl only who work and those who are getting retired will never work now. They say they have few months in retirement and have given innumerable no of services in the bank .

Toilets are a big problems. They are not clean and in my branch some males also prefer to go in ladies toilet despite a big board that it is ladies loo.

In my three months leaving aside 2 female officers, others used me for their own purpose. They will save u when u r in trouble but expect all yes from u in return even if what they are saying is a nonsense. There are very few gud ppl left in branhces. Some of my clerical staff has even remarked me that branches are not training centre.

Internal politics is very much a part of bank. The so called unions, if u do not join for the reason of keeping away from politics , they will say why should we help u if u never joined our party.

Alcohal is very rampant in banks. Both males and clerical staff drink in the absence of the Chief Manager and ladies staff.

The reason of posting this is not to discourage u from joining a bank but to tell u whether u r working in ABC bank or any topmost bank, many ppl will force u to do wrong things and will make a puppet be it ladies or gents, please open ur eyes and work and

training sessions give only technical skills but those skills are requird only 30-40 %.

I may or may not be correct in my analysis of situation. If it is so, please forgive me but I am not at all discouraged and Only the zeal to learn more is making me survive . I hope the same does not happen with any other pagalguy.
Also u all know my name but please do not share this story will any other senior employee of BOB as it can be very disastorous. the reason for writig all this to warn ppl that banking is not a bed of roses. Once u join, all pride and happines would vanish. I try giving my best in all works but if ppl around me fail to treat me responsibily so what should I do? Not wanting to stay for long in any bank

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/career-discussions/60071-probationary-officers-test-aspirants-nov-489.html#post2634658

Hi Kanikaz,

Its indeed concerning to know that you have not been assigned the right roles which your profile would otherwise have required you to carry out.
But at the outset just think that not every job starts with the way you want it to be. All jobs are confusing at first. Its only with passage of time that people around you and more importantly you as a person get to realize your strengths and what you do best.

Coming to the core of the matter mostly all PSUs have a bad work culture and equally horrifying HR Policies.But come to think of it, from the same bunch of people some retire as GM and some get stuck at Grade 3/4. Its all about sticking it out there. I would ask anyone with the situation as yours to just be a bit patient and eventually all things will be fine in the longer run.

Some people in the banks are definitely not happy with the newer breed joining the Organization; but at the same time you can't say that everyone thinks the same. Spend some time knowing the people around you, try showing them that you really are here to learn and be with the Bank for long. Its only a matter of time before the same people around you recognize your abilities and start appreciating you for what you really are.

I agree that Banking is not an easy job. Qualifying for it is easy but staying there is difficult. I want all aspirants to know this before they join any bank that life is certainly not a bed of roses here as PO's. It was really sad to know about White Snows experience with a certain bank. But all these are small things. Difficulties always make a person stronger and richer in experience. Banking is not only about how you deal with the consumers but also about how you deal with your superiors and clerical staff. Believe me the Clerical Staff have a hell lot of knowledge. But they are not going to pour out that knowledge that they have accumulated over the years. Just be nice to them; even if sometimes; they dont work. You will eventually see that they will come to share with you with all their knowledge and love.

I know this mail is getting long but I wanted to clarify certain misconceptions which have been developing here lately.

I wish all aspirants all the best for the upcoming exams and Interviews and hope that they join the Banks of their dreams. Come on Guys...The Banking Industry is waiting for you Guys

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/career-discussions/60071-probationary-officers-test-aspirants-nov-490.html#post2634755

u've written a must read post bhai,@kanika,white snow,rat i was also abt to write d same thngs, i m also a scale1 ofcr MT in pnb joined in nov10,u rightly said these r just initial hurdels n will settle down with time, are yaron abhi to bahut door jana hai,@kanika they made u type only but mujhe to cash counter pe bitha dia tha(like a clerk) n ek other MT se to wo pura DAFTARI(peon) wala kam le rahe the, but after sometime i tactfully solved it(i even had a mess wid circle head AGM), but frns 'brnchs change things change' then i moved to other city's branch and amazingly there i was treated wid due respect n i learned evrthng whatever i wanted, n now m in a rural branch n feel like king of d branch bas only lunch ka prblm hai, doston sab theek ho jata hai yar, bas deal tactfuly sabra se kam lo,@kanika we all r wid u(u did right thing by refusing),one more thing d clerks r best to teach u(they have hands on exp of entire banking career) unhe thoda buttering karoge to they will be all out to tell u just satisfy their ego
still not happy? Then all d best for ssc/civils, chalo ab civils ko aim banate hai, i m also one amongst u

All SC/ST Students a serious query. I m Prashanth here.

I have been selected for one of Public Sector Banks for scale 1 under ST category. Now my queries related 2 this are:

I have a ST certificate from a place called Kollegal in Karnataka but now i don reside there n i reside in Bangalore now. So my query is when d certificate verification goes will this not create a problem????
Plz guys i expect someone 2 reply 2 this ASAP.
Thx

Don't worry there will not be any problem.

My experience as SBI PO(RB) ......

After Kanikaz and rat,it is my turn to share my expereince as PO in sbi...

It is strange that pagalguy has 3 threads for "probationary officer test" and even started fourth one and all these threads have numerous strategies to crack po exam but noone ever give the exact PO job description. Number of candidates got selected and no one ever returned to tell about po EXCEPT A FEW....

Like u all, earlier i was dying to be a Po especially Sbi po. i was exciting and eagerly waiting for the day when i wud get sbi po id and wud see sbi.co.in before my name but when it became true happiness was completely missing.

I belong to National Capital Region and ahmedabad circle is alloted to me.SBI Ahmedabad circle is deficit circle as gujarat is a rich state and people here do nottake promotion and they started their career as clerk and retired as clerk too. so this circle always need staff esp POs....And i and my friends thought that after 3-4 yrs we wud be able to get back to our native place even i asked this posting criteria from some sbi officers there but when i came to gujarat i found thet picture is completely different......

Majaor problem in SBI is POSTING...
1. We wud never get posting in our native place as most of us come from major cities of India like patna,delhi,noida,gurgaon,jaipur,kanpur,lucknow,chandigarh etc..as sbi never need staff there as these places are always overcrowded.

2.We wud be able to submit our transfer request after 5 yrs and which will be accepted after 5 yrs as there are 1000s of application before our application and seniority criteria is considered in posting issues so after 10 yrs we may get posting near out native and this time may increase to 15 yrs too...and i think 10-15 yrs is a long time.This time sbi will not consider marriage criteria of gals as they said most of u come from major cities and all of u wanted to go there by marrying so why we recruit u.we recruit u for this circle :(

3.In delhi circle,around 140 PO(General)+ 60 PO(RB) got posting and this circle is largest circle of sbi.This include Delhi,ncr region,uttarakhand,rajasthan and 16 districts of UP and as my friends told me that only those guys got delhi city posting who have big jack in sbi and others get rural posting.

4.Sbi gave hard postings in Ahmedabad circle and a few get cities posting like in Ahmedabad,baroda,rajkot,surat etc and others get rural posting includiong PO (General) and Po(rural business) and some of places belong to tribal belt where there is big problem of infrastructure. My PO(G) frnd got posting near saurashtra and he told me that infrastructure
is so bad that there is no tea stall near the branch...

5.SBI has branches everywhere.There is a place where area belong to wildlife sanctuary and sometimes snakes & cobras come to sbi branch 😞 and bank gave posting to 2 gals(1PO(General)+PO(RB)). My question is not that- Why gals ??
My question is that how sbi can have such audacity to open branch at such place and can expect people to work there by putting their life on stake.

So, these are some problems of posting in sbi which discourages u sometimes.....

And during 2 yr probation we have 6-7 transfers but within our circle....

Now come second issue---
Sbi has very high work pressure.I m posted in a tribal belt taluka and my branch is main branch....and scale -4 branch...My work time here are 10:30am to 8.30pm but they expected more .....and when asked my Branch Manager (BM) to go back to house he said- madam i m also PO and i stayed till 11:00 pm daily so expect the same from u ....and next day come with mindset to stay long here...

On saturday, sbi po like me have to stay till 6.00 pm as i m PO......
So the conclusion is - 6 days working for po and timings for weekdays is from 10.30am to 9-10pm daily and on saturday till 6.00pm-7.00 pm.....and sometimes come on holidays too ......

Now come third issue---
I have read in one post that in which someone said that at scale -2, ur life wud be pleasant as u wud be manager and u will give only orders to ur staff.....and i8 have read that private an foreign banks have targets....but in reality when u become scale-2 in sbi then targets come into picture. then u wud have target for deposits,advances etc and u have to achieve that target as u wud be pressurized by ur senior officers and u have to answer them which may make ur
life hell:(:(

And if u doing gud work then bank may make u bm of small branch where u have no business of even Rs40 but bank wud give u target of Rs 5 crores and it is ur headcahe to bring business for branch that's why PO has to work as field officers and has to roam to give loan to people as he/she has to achieve target of giving laons but sometimes these loans become NPA which
create other problems...

Even there are some problems too.Bank give u posting at such place where u cannot keep ur family with yourself and if u r living nearby with ur family then ur senior officer will not allow u to commute as u have to take care of each and everything of branch including atms...and i m saying this as i have seen it in the case of my BM.

Now come salary structure ...
i think sbi po has ctc of around 6lac on paper but salary is not so tempting ....

basic - 16900
da-49.95 but it vary with each quarter...as most of u know....
hra- 8.5% to 6.5 % according to place of posting....
ANd Rs 4425 deducted for PF and Contributory pension .....

Perks-
40litre p[etrol for 2 wheeler and 50 litre for 4 wheeler .... but petrol sanction depend on ur BM...like we r outsiders means come from different state and our vehicle is at ou home but in most cases BMs do not sanction petrol as our vehicle is far away and we can not put it with ourselves as we have frequent transfer... our first branch is for 9 weeks but in other branches we wud stay around 2 months or less so do not prefer to keep vehicle with us...so alternative conveyance charges- Rs710

Rs350-newspaper
Rs-310-labour of maid
Rs-600- cleaning....

so these are the perks we r getting now so total in hand salary is around 24K
and lease is taking a lots of time for sanctioning .....

Now come Work profile-
every transaction include money & sometime in large amount so risk come more as PO is authorizing officer and SBI assigned SS no (Specimen signature no) to each PO and offi so if u commit any mistake then bank will track u thru ur SS no and may file chargesheet against u even u left bank earlier....i have been told that bank does not leave any officer ...

i have seen during annual closing i.e., in march ...some of the clerks took long holidays and then it was the headache of BM as he/she was accountable to answer everyone....

Now u all wud be thinking that i m facing all this as i m PO(Rural business) and sbi recruited sbi po (urban) so they will get city posting forever....but the underlying truth is that--

SBI recruited PO(General) and not PO(urban) and PO(Rural business)

PO(RB) has to work in rural/semi urbna branches for 10yrs and they have to learn more than po (G) as we have to learn about general banking nad rural business and for this we r getting extra 1 week training in sbi institutes like in SBI rural development centre in hyderabad....and no other things have been decided fro pO(rb) and recently MR. O.P. Bhattji has retired and new chairman Mr Pratip Chaudhari has taken the rein of SBI in his hands... so lets see where he has taken us...

And Po(rb) has specific category so we wud be posted mostly in talukas and cities but PO(G)has no category so they can be posted anywhere including rural areas...and there is 2ys rural assignment is mandatory for every officer otherwise promotion will be stopped as bank has become strict in this case....these days...

And bank is ready to give promotion but we r not ready to get it now after knowing these things abt PO career ...and conclusion is SBi is giving a mobile life(due to large no of transfers),risky career and less salary.....

And it is strange that sbi has make its transfer policy strict with our batch as before sbi is known for flexible postings ....

With SBI PO job i have little hope to be posted in my native one day and my life will go on achieving Financial inclusion in the interiors of gujarat with no family life as large no of constraints as PO has in his/her career so my life wud be confined only for SBI but i feel my life is mine and for my dear ones.... whenever i used to see sbi logo i always have the fell to be sbi po oneday but what type of life it is offering to us is really not as per our expectation and that is the raeson when AGM(HR) came to meet us in SBLC then staff restricted us asking any transfer related question as it wud irritate him so most of us asked what is resignation policy of sbi and how much one has to server notice period if one leave SBI..a.nd when DGM asked with 61 candidates that how many want to spend more than 20yrs with SBI then only 10 candidates out of 61 raised hands......this is type of frustration we all r having and Ahmedabad circle is deficit circle of sbi as gujarat is rich state and people join banks as clerk and retired as clerkjs nad interested more in business rather than in job....so POs who came here from other state cud not go back even after 25 yrs... but being a gal this type of job wll make my life a hell.....and sbi is a reputed organization and being its officer bring lots of social pressure from all corners of society so u can not leave it until u get better prospect....

My 2 friends tried to convince me not to go SBI PO but i never heard them and one of is pagalguy friends....

Earlier i was so keen for sbi po that i left my other interview calls for PO and i left LIC AAO as i have to take a flight for ahmedabad that night and was keen not to loose my seniority by 1 second..... and even i did not prepare for RBI grade B as i felt that if i prepared rbi grade b now then i will not do justification with my dream job SBI PO...but now all things have changed.... now i want to move ahead... i want to move ahead within 1 yr at any cost...hope so NABARD wud come with vacancies soon and one day i aspire to be RBI Grade B ......my nxt destination is NABARD or RBI ....hope so when i got them i don't feel the way i felt with sbi po....

Now i m feeling much relieved as i was occupied with the dream of PO for the last 3c yrs but now this phase is over...and my every step wud be away from sbi and towards RBI grade B ...and one day i wud post my expereince as RBI Grade B...and thanks to sbi po as i have learnt a lots of things abt RBI grade b due to frustration which has started stiring up....

MY some analysis-
1. BANK PO job is gud for short term career especially take 3-4 yrs exposure in commercial banking and do mba from premier colleges and get placed in private na d foreign banks with high package...

2.SBI is big brand so more rigid regarding posting and other things but other small banks like United bank of India and corporation bank etc are keen to give home posting first as they do not want to loose tech savvy candidates these days...so try to refer small banks .....

Sorry for long posts and groans are welcome :):)

Really disappointed to hear ur story. Cannot belive that ur bank branch invites snakes and bichoos. Despite my 3 months bad expirence in the branch, my situation is still better than yours becasue in my branch still civilized customers come. also being in delhi, I have access to basic amenitites. I do not know what to say about ur situation. Keep up the faith and do not scummb to any pressure. If ppl till u to stay for long till 8.30 pm and ur pg is not nearby, do not stay, Why I am saying is this because thing are not rosy as ppl think. I will tell u in detail through pm. I am not trying to make u feel uncomfortable but only to warn u that world outside in not gud and gals have to really careful. So plz see ur situation and try getting home as soon as possible after completing ur work.
will talk to u later.

if u need, u can talk to me personally on my mobile or try connecting though facebook. if u need mobile no, then do pm me

its so heart breaking .....

Hi puys so finally i got a place to post my experience as a bank po ....i will tell u all my experiences both good and bad.....

I joined canara bank on 13th dec 2010 at staff trg centre gurgaon.during the induction trg the faculty,accomodation and food was superb.but after the trg the problem started.we were tole our postings on the last day and i got posted to kolkata circle.a circle in canara bank is the same as a zone in any other bank.we had a meet with the hr manager of new delhi circle before leaving...and trust me we were made a fool like anything....the hr manager made false promises to the entire newly recruited po's that as soon as we reach our branch we will be reimbursed halting allowance of rs. 3000 and packaging charges of rs 9000.i reached kolkata on 28th dec 2010.i reported to the hr manager in circle office kolkata.he asked whether i wish to stay in staff quarters or a rented accomodation.....i felt that in a new place like kolkata it would be better to stay in staff quarters.....but that was my biggest mistake which i realised very soon......when i reached the staff quarters i was forced to stay with a senior po of 2009 batch who immediately started cursing canara bank the moment he met me.he suggested me to quit canara bank as soon as possible.i was astonished to see his reaction....when i asked him why he was till there in canara bank ...he sadly told me that he belonged to a villlage in bihar and he was the eldest son of his family who was employed. He had two younger un married sisters also.he told me he sends around 75% of his salary back home to support them ....he told me that he is stuck and confused.i told him to calm down.now the wonderful staff quarters of canara bank ....all doors and window panes were broken.i found myself and the senior po in a single room with an attached bathroom.the bed was making cranky sounds as it was very weak and the other furniture was broken.the toilet was really dirty and it was in such a condition that no body could clean it .....all the bathroom fittings were broken.....i felt really bad after coming from the indian army that this is the standard of living offered to a nationalised bank probationary officer who has just joined.i thought how in the world i can even think of showing or calling my mother to kolkata in this quarter which is in shambles.i immediately realised my mistake and decided to go for rented accomodation.next day i reported to my first branch ....it took my branch manager more than a month to get my log-in id and password for cbs as without it we cannot work and he never felt interested about my learning etc.finally i got it when one day i got behind him.for that whole month i used to do clerical work and some customer service.i lost a lot of time because of this.wheni got my cbs id and password all the pending work of the branch for the past more than a year was given to me.i was even sent to the circle office to open around 800 savings accounts all alone in just 4-5 days .other than that nobody in branch had the slightest of attitude to teach new po's anything.when i applied for my ta bill i was shocked to know that whatever we were told by the hr manager in gurgaon regarding halting allowance of rs. 3000 and packaging charges of rs 9000 was false and we were told by head office that as we are in probation period we are not eligible for it.i wrote letters and emails to gm hr in head office to claim the amount as our senior batch mates and some of my batch mates were reimbursed that amount but all those efforts went futile.i realised that there was a lot of communication lag amongst circles .the rules being followed in all the circles were not same . Staff were just not aware about the rules or they were too scared to follow them.my branch manager never guided me or supported me.i made calls to the hrm sec head office in bangalore only to experience how the rude and egoistic staff of head office bangs the phone when a po call them.i felt cheated at that time.when i asked my branch manager that i wish to change my residence to a rented accomodation close to the branch ....he misinformed me that as a po i will not be allowed for a bank /personal lease....he forced me take hra(which was rs 1232) instead of rent reimbursement which was 5300 in kolkata at that time.one day when i spoke to my batch mate he told me that for po's bank/personal lease is not required for rent reimbursement....i felt really sad that my branch manager lied to me.moreover he did this only to impress his overseeing executives agm's and dgm's by showing that the staff expenditure for his branch was pretty less.

Now let us come to compensation :
Basic salary rs 14500
da rs 7656@ 52.8% of basic
cca rs 540 (only in metro and class a cities)
gross salary:rs 22696
deductions :
Rs 2269 pension
rs 130 proffessional tax
rs 769 income tax
net salary after deductions: Rs 19527 in hand

da will get revised in aug 2011

now the perks which are a joke in my bank.
Po gets rs 100 as conveyance for metro cities and rs 75 in other cities.this is just embarrassing.at times i feel it would have been better if they would have denied conveyance to po's rather than embarassing them by offering these peanuts when other peer banks are giving petrol limits to po's.

Newspaper allowance is 90% of the bill for anyone newspaper/magazine approx i get rs 145 per month.now there is this great theory behind the 90% that the remaining 10% the employee can get by selling the old newspaper to the scrapdealer.

Except these two things there are no monthly perks.
We get medical allowance annually @ rs 5100

as far as learning is concerned nobody will teach u or help u in anything except always complaining that u have not learnt anything.the customers that come are even great....they come in herds and expect their job to be done in seconds whereas the same customers don't even dare to speak extra when they go to any central govt. Office. Some of them are so pathetic that they don't even wish to fill a form or quote their pan no where ever required........wheni gained some experience in around 3 months i realised the hidden corruption and the scale of violation of norms in day to day banking in my branch. All this pointed to the deeper malaise in the banking system which was hidden from the outside world .loan documents were incomplete....which had been sanctioned long time back......no customer was quoting pan no for cash transactions above rs 50000 ..making cash cheque payments even if the signature was different ..people used to barge in at 7 in the evening to open accounts and take loans.my manager used to ask me to write things which he was supposed to write in his own hand...i found him extremely lazy....entire day he used to pass time either making or attending calls .sometimes i used to feel if he was a telecaller.when ever i used to complain about violation of rules they used to say this is services sector if we will follow rules then we cannot get business for the bank.this was the message they gave to a new joinee......but soon i started getting news from all corners about officers getting suspended and chargesheeted for violation of norms set by the bank .

Now here i will explain to fellow puys the financial risk about which tgt_09 was talikng .....for example ur branch manager will ask you to sign a loan document which is incomplete or the borrower is not eligible as per norms.then sometimes it so happens that he will pressurise u to sign it and at a later stage if it becomes npa due to boroower defaulting in repayment then u are also held party to the crime and chargesheeted.....this is just one example....there can be many others.......thousands have got chargesheeted just like this only ..........ur own gm will take bribe and force u to sanction loans to a party if u try to follow rules then u will be thrown to a rural or maoist area branch also called punishment branch. U hardly have any options to choose from as u have to stay in the job.officers who are good in merit are never promoted whereas officers good in flattery get promoted and reach the top of the ladder very fast only to further exploi the system. Dear puys it seems very flowery from outside but it is very weird inside.myself and tgt_09 have experienced the stagnating system in banking sector nad sometimes both of us used to discuss that people are applying in lakhs for banking jobs with lots of aspirations and they end up frustrated and broken after their first month in their job then we both should tell fellow puys about the kind of work environment........in a very short span and that's why we tried to throw light on issues which are never heard or discussed of on pg.the plus points of my job are that i am employed and i am no longer worried about exams and appearing for them,i am earning something rather than sitting at home.but i am confused about the future of banking as even the ministry of finance has an indifferent attitude towards banking sector.they have already well thought plans of privatising nationalised banks.........including consolidation......they want to make sell them to pvt and foreign players......this is our future in next 10-15 years trust me puys ....people say job in a psu is secure but i feel that our dep chairman plannig commission and finance minister have already put a ? On that....bankers have already organise a strike on 7th july for around 20 key issues affecting banking industry .....i am an optimistic person with a soldierly attitude .....but i also have a guiding attitude and that's why i felt that i should suggest youngsters on pg to give more emphasis to other exams for which i received a lot of criticism.my idea was not to demoralise but to inform ......them as everybody end of the day deserves a good , peaceful and balanced life.....i will continue and fight in banking sector no matter the psu banks get privatised .................thank you puys for ur support in my selection.....as a bank po ..........................PLS EXCUSE MY TYPING MISTAKES .....

Hi puys so finally i got a place to post my experience as a bank po ....i will tell u all my experiences both good and bad.....

thank u so much i ve heard all this thru my dad also...and i vouch for it that this is the reality

1 point u said is also true..that one of my uncle and some other colleagues did some out of way favour ...(10 yrs poorani baat hai)...on the saying of BM...now all of them have been chargesheeted

but only action that took place was that there promotion was stopped...but still they are happily working...

and DGM pressurizing my another uncle to do something illegal

so my uncle refused to do it.....dgm ..ne shayad koi call vall kari

he got transferred to another branch but within delhi only

but i will like to add....panncho ungliyan barabar nahin hoti......po's in good branches enjoy there work a lot... shit can happen in pvt banks also...aur chaaplossi vahan bhi chaalti hai....aisi koi organisation nahin hai india main jahan chaaploosi na ho
aur agar BM mast ho to....ek ultimate mazza aata hai atmosphere ek bada hi relaxed aur ghar type ka ho jata hai....which i ve seen from my own eyes and experienced it
that's y i say say ur branch is u r real place to work...BM is your boss not cmd of the bank
these kind of problems are less in metros/urban and more in semi urban and rural areas

kyonki...semi urban and rural areas mein BM ko rishvat milti hai...

really pathetic condition. Shocked

WELL THIS IS NEW THREAD AND READING THE EARLIER POSTS,I THINK POSTING THE NEW POST WILL BE APPROPRIATE FOR ME,AM STATING MY EXPERIENCE FROM THE START.

I LUCKILY GOT MY HOME CIRCLE MUMBAI ,AS IT HAD HEAVY NEEDS FOR STAFF (410 PO ALLOTTED TO CIRCLE) ALL NATIVES GOT THE SAMEDUE TO THIS FACT AND GOVT. JOB I DECIDED TO QUIT MY PRIVATE CO. AND JOIN SBI.

I JOIN SBI ON 1 MARCH 2011,WE CALLED TO PUNE FOR DOC VERIFICATION AFTER LONG DAY PROCESS WE ALLOTTED THE BRANCHES,FIRST BRANCH WAS QUITE AWAY FROM MY HOME (120 KMS).SO I REPORT TO RESPECTIVE BRANCH ON NEXT DAY.............
AS FAR AS I KNOW AT THAT TIME SBI DO GIVE HALTING AND BOARDING FOR FIRST 7 DAYS,BUT DIDN'T KNOW THAT IT IS NOT APPLICABLE (THOUGH I GOT THE SAME DUE TO MY BM )FOR FIRST BRANCH,BUT IN DISCUSSION WITH MY FIRST BM ,I GOT THIS INFO,MY BM WAS HAVING SOME SORT OF ATTITUDE BUT HE WAS QUITE FRIENDLY WITH POS RATHER THAN CLERICAL STAFF.HE PROVIDE ME FREE ACCOMMODATION IN STAFF QUARTER WHICH WAS OK FOR LIVING THERE FOR 3 MONTHS.
IN THIS 3 MONTHS I DONE PENDING WORK AS WELL AS I SUCCEED INTO GETTING ALL THE REQUIRED NEW STUFF FOR WHICH I WAS ALLOTED TO THE BRANCH,PEOPLES WERE OF CLOSED NATURE AT THE FIRST BUT AFTERWARDS IT LOOK LIKE A FAMILY TO ME..................
WELL IN THIS MY LUCK ALSO SUPPORTED TO ME TO SOME EXTENT
WHEN THERE WAS AUDIT TIME IN MARCH I LUCKILY GOT IN SBLC TRAINING,AND ENJOY IT AT THE FULLEST ,WE WATCH ALL WORLD CUP MATCHES BY ABLE TO CHANGE THE TRAINING TIMINGS DUE TO FRIENDLY AGM AND CM.
AFTER THIS FIRST BRANCH SECOND BRANCH WAS NEAR THE FIRST (40 KMS) BUT BEFORE 3 TO 4 DAYS OF CHANGING BRANCH CHANGE IN THE SCHEDULE COME ,MY SECOND BRANCH ALLOTED TO ME FOR 30 DAYS AND IT WAS AWAY 340 KMS:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:YAA IR WAS SHOCKING,BUT WHAT TO DO, I THOUGHT ANYTHING HAPPENS THAT HAPPENS FOR GOOD.AND YUPS I WAS HELL RIGHT
SECOND BRANCH WAS LOCATED IN SEMI URBAN AREA,BRANCH WAS NOT GOOD IN INFRA BUT STAFF WAS COOL LIKE ANYTHING,BM WAS ROYAL ONE ,SUPPORTIVE,KNOWLEDGEABLE........
ALL MY PROBLEMS FROM ACCOMMODATION TO FOOD WERE SINGLE HANDED HANDLED AND SOLVED BY THE STAFFI GOT GOOD AMOUNT OF ALLOWANCES WITH THE SAME.

ONLY PROBLEM CAME TO ME WHEN I APPLIED FOR JOINING LEAVE AND MY BM SAID AM NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THAT ,SO WITH HELP OF OTHER PO AM ABLE TO CONTACT MY CM AND AGM(HR) THEY WERE SO SUPPORTIVE AND FRIENDLY IN NATURE,I GOT LEAVE SANCTIONED IN DAYS.
AND TODAY AM WRITING THIS POST SITTING IN MY HOMETOWN,FOR THE NEXT BRANCH WHICH IS IN MY HOMETOWN
ABOUT SALARY
BASIC 16900
DA 52.80%
HRA 6.5%
ITS GROSS 27K COMES IN HAND 22K
4.5K DEDUCTED FOR PENSION AND PF+ SAME ADDED FROM BANK (THIS IS FOR SBI ONLY)

ALLOWANCES
NEWSPAPER 350 PER MONTH
PETROL 70*45 = 3150 PER MONTH
NOW AM APPLYING FOR FURNITURE
SO AFTER THAT I WILL GET 1100 PER MONTH FOR CLEANSING AND LABOUR

SO ITS 22 + 9 + 4.5 = 35.5 K
PLUS ALLOWANCES LIKE HALTING AND LODGING U GETS IN THIS TWO YEARS MAKES IT ABOVE 40K.

NOW BIG PROBLEM IS THAT,I HAVE NEVER SEEN BANKING CAREER AS LONG TERM CAREER AS MY AIMS ARE DIFFERENT AND WILL LOOK FORWARD TO CHANGE MY CAREER ASAP,SO THIS POST IS FOR ALL PO ASPIRANT WHO HAVE TO KNOW BOTH SIDE OF THIS JOB.

AM SORRY SENIOR GUYS BUT I DO HAVE THIS KIND OF EXPERIENCE WITH MY BANK TILL THE DATE,BUT YAA OPINIONS CAN BE CHANGE AS TIME PASSES,SO FUTURE WILL TELL THE TRUTH.
(edited part starts here)
hello friends am back after a while i had worked in two more branches of sbi which were located in my home town so happy with the sbi for this.
my third branch experience was good one although i need to work off the learning schedule work for a while and some issue related to passing of my some allowances but all resolved before i leave that respective branch.
fourth branch bm where i am recently being posted is quite cool & good,I have gained lot of work related knowledge and in a quite meaningful way,well i can say am lucky enough.
my next branch is quite away from my home but its manageable from my home.,in between had a training of second phase,it was fabulous,chalo dekhte hai aage kya experiences aate hai but yaa i observed some things which am writing down here may be help you all
1.do work for learning,not just for doing .
2.always try to maintain your training schedule,but if bm request then do his request work first but at the same time do give him info about training schedule and why you are there and why you want to get trained in that area,show interest in the same & do hard work to achieve the same.
3.Its always important how you treat your senior staff,handle them well & respectfully,be polite & honest they do cooperate the same.
(edited part end here 28 sept 2011)

thnx sgm for this wonderful post......
this was very much needed at this very point of time to boost the morale of the thread and all the newbees and even those who are still struggling to get that one breakthrough no matter watever the bank is.......
so guys keep posting such lovely experiences!!!
n ya v shud b prepared 4 the worst while hoping 4 da best!!!

hi puys pls go through the following link .....this indicates to us the future of psu banks in the coming years..........
Business Line : Industry & Economy / Banking : Bank staff plan strike against de-regulation moves
let's hope for the best

deleted post

kudos to you firstly for pourin out ur heart out here......bro, i too hav workd in a private bank for 10 mnths in retail bankin..my exp wasnt dat bad bt yes considerin urs is a sarkaari bank, the attitude of ur colleagues can hav a g8 influence on a newcomer...bankin sectr on d outside luks very enticin to every1, bt its only vn u gt into d system u realiz dat uv jst steppd into a total mess... i wish u the very best in ur career nd go forward keepin work ethics in mind..all the best

Dear Puys
I have read the sad stories few of our fellow puys epratap ,tgt_09 ,Kanikaz,whitesnow etc.
But cheer up...coz still Banking is a sector worth working in India.
Bad bosses and corruption are the face of new corprate India and you will experience it wherever you go otherwise you should be lucky enough.So if you like the banking sector stay put and fight against these evils.
And the 'Good Vs Evil' fight will go on throughout your lifetime.Just one question remains.Which team will you be?

Pls spend few mins to watch this inpiring Video all PO aspirants.This is what an Indian Banker should be doing.

YouTube - ‪Banking On Change - India‬‏