My GMAT story-710

Finally my dream to write a story for a 700+ score came true…got 710(q-49,v-3 :: …here is my story books: OG 12TH edition, Manhatten SC. fixed the date 4 months bak…the first thing i did after i thought of preparin for …

Finally my dream to write a story for a 700+ score came true......got 710(q-49,v-3......here is my story

books:
OG 12TH edition,
Manhatten SC.

fixed the date 4 months bak.....the first thing i did after i thought of preparin for GMAT is getting OG 12th edition.......read the success stories frm pagalguy......and then started of with the diagnostic test....the score was average in that......i jus started my preparation with quants to get confidence......and slowly moved on to verbal....i thought i cud nail quants and i thought verbal was d only difficult part......but it wasnt as easy as i thought.....here are the few things which i follwed

data sufficiencies:
I made lots of mistakes in data sufficiencies........and den i slowly found out the mistakes and rectified dem......always do the data sufficiency question taking one option at a time and forget bout the second....and if both cant help u check both den......as simple as that...did d problems frm OG alone...

problem solving:
problem solving questions are straight forward....jus do em frm OG and keep tag of the mistakes and jus reveiw those before the exam

Reading comprehension:
I wasnt gr8 at this ...but practiced a little...used to get a vague idea at the first reading then used to read the questions and used to get back to the rc if it was necessary.....that worked for me....

Critical reasoning:
I practiced d questions frm OG and this section needs proper understanding of the question and common sence....

Sentence correction:
This is the game changer in gmat as far as i know......i first practiced frm OG made lots of mistakes.... i would strongly recommend every one to go thru Manhatten SC....dis one was lik god to me.......but before giving the practice tests i just read thru the book like a comic and jus did the solved examples than the complete list frm OG 10TH editions,WHICH DIDNT HELP....will explain how i improved my SC score in the next section

10 days before the GMAT:
I thought i shud give a GMAT prep test 10 days before the xam so that i can have enuf time to rectify my mistakes......so i gave it 10 days before the actual test and i scored a dismal 640,i was dejected.....with 47 in quant and 28 or so in verbal.....i made 10 mistakes in 14 SC questions.........and also found out wat mistakes i did in quant.....
So after giving the test i clearly came to know SC was the one between me and 700+ score....so i took manhattan again....did every example at the end of the chapter which referred questions to OG 10th edition(i strongly recommend this)....after doing those examples i really came to know lots of fundas and most of the times i used to reduce the choices to 2 or 3 frm 5.....

Then i gave free princeton test ....got 590......but to my surprise i made only 4 mistakes in SC , which was a gr8 improvement......

after doing the manhattan compleatly i thought i cud giv d 2nd GMAT Testprep
so i gav it 3 days before the test dis time....to my surprise i got 640 again...dis time i was dejected lik hell...coz most of em say u get the same scores wat u get in GMATprep....my frnd asked me to postpone the xam ......but 3 days before the xam i can get only 50$ so i thought of givin it......so kept tat idea aside.....den wen i saw wer i did the mistakes....i was unhappy to see 10 mistakes in SC again.....dis time becoz i was over confident and gav less time to SC's....so i thought i shud be slow and shud reconfirm d answer wen i am doing SC's....
so to know whether my SC skills wer bad or the mistakes are due to the fatigue.....i jus retook the GMAT testprep(most of the questions differed...so though u hav 2 tests u can actually giv dem again and again)
but dis time i jus took SC's and randomly selected d answers for d rest...and i took my own sweet time for SC's and den i made only 4 mistakes in the test.....so i came to know that i was gud with the skills.....the only thing is tat i had to be super serious with the SC's and shudnt take dem lightly....

but still somewer i was very unhappy and was prepared to c a score of something around 650 in d main test(coz of low scores in test prep)...and was almost making my mind to giv d test again...so that actually reduced the pressure.....

ON THE DAY:
I went to the test center and was very relaxed, was not afraid of failure.....i did AWA badly......den came quants......i thought the level of difficulty was pretty much higher den wat i xpected....i wasnt sure of many answers.......so thought i screwd it up(but if u feel d difficulty level is high it actually shows that ur doin gud)......took a brk and i thought i screwed quants....
after the brk took verbal......der wer no jumbo RC's ....one was moderate others wer small......took my sweet time in SC's.....and became restless for d last few questions and jus wanted to finish it off....after finishing my test......der was a questionaire which i hav to fill before my score is shown......patiently filled that....and to my surprise i saw a score of 710:clap:....i cudnt believe my eyes... i called the helper immediatly and asked her to confirm the score.....was so happy after lookin at the score on the printout which dey gave.....was jumping in joy after tat...the relief which i got after cin 710 was immense.....coz i never wanted to go thru d shit again and to give d test again.....

Few imp things frm my experiance:
-dont loose heart wen u get low scores in testprep...instead try to find the mistakes and learn frm dem and rectify dem......tat really can help u......giv enuf time for rectifyin ur mistakes after givin the first testprep....
-for me i followed only 2 books and i don need any necessity for gettin many books and to get spoiled for choices......if u think u need more practice of if u aim for 750+ den get em
-Don miss manhattan SC book.....that will help u a lot.....that book was my saviour........
-i strongly feel GMAT needs lots of luck....in my case i had luck....der was one guy who got 730 in test prep and got 640 in the real test....so don loose heart, hav confidence and giv another shot.....

finally i would lik to thank pagalguy and all of em who shared their xperiances....and now i am on my way to develop my profile and induce lots of highlighters( i hav less den one year xperiance)....

my profile:
10th-80.33
12th-85.2
B.E-81
MS-3.36(yes i hav masters frm USA and yes i am plannin for one more lolz)
graduated in May 2009 and hav seen enuf failures
experiance:less den one year
plannin to apply for fall 2012

cheers
will help u if u hav any questions.....

Thanks for sharing your exp mate. Can you also share your study schedule for these 4 months ?

Cheers
GT

i prepared for 5 months......after 1 month(1 hr a day) of preparation i thought i shud register for the test(in december i registerd for d test) so that i will get d seriousness(coz i always thought deadlines will push me tat lil xtra inch).....december and jan again prepared for almost an avg of 1 hr.....cudnt prepare much in feb and first week of march......but after tat was very serious and was preparin for 3hrs on average......finally on april 8th i gav d test.....

hi,
congrats for getting such a good score.
i m preparing for gmat from OG 12.
can you please share the softcopies of your study material and your study schedule with me so that i can follow ur success steps.
my email id is

Kudos to you Mate....Good Luck for Apps in 2012.

710 is very good score congrats....