My GMAT journey(740:Q48:V42) 97%

Hi Puys, I gave my GMAT today and scored 740.I am happy with my score though I believe that it could have been a 750 if not for some stupid things that happened(like representative not handing me scrap book sooner). I am writing this post 'coz…

Hi Puys,
I gave my GMAT today and scored 740.I am happy with my score though I believe that it could have been a 750 if not for some stupid things that happened(like representative not handing me scrap book sooner).
I am writing this post 'coz I got lot of help from this forum and I want to help someone else who is struggling.
And it took me 3 months of 4 hours everyday practice to come up with this

Context:
I have 4 years of work experience in IT(India).During my preparation for GMAT,I realized I was not too good(about average).But one thing I did was,I didn't give up.
Here is how I prepared:
1>I started with 800score.com just to get my basics done(I was out of touch with all study related things as I had just had a baby)
2>after 2 weeks on it,I went on to OG and solved it completely,but in DS and CR I solved only the second half(since they are more difficult)
3>Then I bought the Kaplan question bank and religiously solved all of it(took almost 3 weeks)
4>Before solving the Kaplan bank my GMATPREP score was I believe 650.After the bank it was 680(at this stage I got active in this forum and started posting and answering queries.Believe me,it helps a lot)
5>The turning point came with Manhattan series test.I solved all 6 of them.These are very tough and defintiely make the GMAT appear quite easy.It gave me confidence on my exam day.Here I scored 650,670,680,680,670and in last test 700.
5>I kept reinstalling and giving GMATPREP again(it should indeed be your bible).I scored a 700 ,then after few more manhaattan tests,I scored a 740(and I believe this was my true score).
6>Spidey's notes and Rajat NDA's notes(I think from beatthegmat) helped a lot in verbal preparation.Also,I thank the girl who wrote the follwing post as I followed it and used it for inspiration.You guys can read it too for technique and inspiration:
GMAT 720 95%(Q49,V40)(people never fail - they just give up)

And last but not the least,keep your cool guys!!!I did not study till the last moment,watched my fav movie previous evening and had a good night's sleep.It helped to carry a snack too!!!

Thanks once again

congratulation madam

but could u please tell me more abt spideys notes &RAjat; NDA

where i can get them

Hi g_s_dhanoa007 ,
Thanks!You can find some good notes here:
Sahil's/Spidey's sentence correction notes - TestMagic Forums

Be sure to do all your idioms and tenses very well.
All the best;-)

Hey Suruchee,

That's an awesome score, congratulations. All the Best for your applications.

BTW which schools are you targetting?

Hi nikdo_19 ,

Thanks!!I am mainly targeting Mccombs-austin(since I am based out there).Next would be carnegie mellon and kelley.

Cheers,
Suruchi

Thank you for sharing your story and the resources that made it possible..it's truly been a wonderful one! My hearty congratulations goes out to you.

Godspeed! 😃

@suruchee
first of all many congratulations for your great performance in gmat
hope you get into your dream college
thanx a lot for sharing your experience with us
do let us know where all have you applied
best of luck for your future

--------------
GMAT ( Nov '08 )
750 Q-48 V-45

Hi drabir_g,
Thanks!!As I said I am applying mainly to Univ of Texas Austin.Thne there is Carnegie mellon and Kelley!!!
If any of you guys have any tips to share with me in applications ,please share.
I will be applying for the second round of these schools(or is some cases the pre final round)

Good job with the score suruchee!

All the best for McCombs! Its a good tech-savvy school and a good GMAT is surely valued. Same for Kelly and Carnegie Mellon - very good in technology, operations. I presume that is what you want to do/get.

Hi Psychodementia,
Thanks so much!!I DO want to get into IT consulting.I have four years of IT experience (fair amount of achievements),also I have donea good amount of volunteering here in AUstin for past year and half(Foodbank and helping teach kids at church).Do u think that my taking a break for the past year and a half (for a very valid and strong reason)will affect my chances?

Congrats on ur score.... I m just startin my prep n the blog reference was pretty encouraging n of gr8 help........ Do well in ur application process...

Hey guys this a desperate call.
Well i have given gmat once ..my score was as bad as science score in XI.i worked on my english since then but i hardly could see any change in it. I am not denying that my score has improved but it is not what i want.
I was adviced by people to work on the mistakes and understand where i m going wrong.but the most surprising part is I can hardly see any difference in teh sentences which i mark and which are right!!!
my next date is on 8 january2009.since i m working,i will be joining back on 4.1.09.I have hardly 5 days in hand.can anyone propose me any thing.I am week in everything related to gmat english.Please pour your tricks or anything ..i m in need

seems like u r struggling with SC. Have u gone thru Manhattan SC??. if not then u must go thru it.

Hey guys this a desperate call.
Well i have given gmat once ..my score was as bad as science score in XI.i worked on my english since then but i hardly could see any change in it. I am not denying that my score has improved but it is not what i want.
I was adviced by people to work on the mistakes and understand where i m going wrong.but the most surprising part is I can hardly see any difference in teh sentences which i mark and which are right!!!
my next date is on 8 january2009.since i m working,i will be joining back on 4.1.09.I have hardly 5 days in hand.can anyone propose me any thing.I am week in everything related to gmat english.Please pour your tricks or anything ..i m in need

u need to complete Manhattan Sc forst to strengthen ur SC.....its a good book to follow up.......

congrats on getting such a gud score....
aiming to write GMAT for d 1st time... dunno where 2 start from... and what is the estimated prep time??????? having close to 3yrs of IT exp.... Cud u plz guide when is the gud time to write GMAT ?????? haven't started my prep yet.......also, how to build up a gud vocab for GMAT exam???

Badly need advice........

Hi Kawan,
This was my first attempt at GMAT too.And incidentally,I started preparing about 3 months prior to R2 of various colleges.3 months of everyday 3 hours effrort should be fine.
You can start with kaplan books and get your basics right.I will suggest take tips from here:I did too
Mark Rice's GMAT Help, Notes & Study Outline

Also,U dont need a "vocab" per say on gmat.U need to do ur Sentence corrections well though.And keep reading something so that you are in touch.This method worked for me.Read from newspapers,editorials,novels,anything.And I have shared link to pshil's notes on this thread.Use that.they were great...

Any other help...feel free to ask..

Regards,
Suruchi

thnx suruchi......

kawan84 Says
thnx suruchi......

Hi kawan

Just one piece of advice from me..do whatever prep you can,but DO NOT leave out the free test prep software that you get on the mba.com site.
I did only that and got a 760. the two tests there give you an exact look and feel of the real exam.

Regards

great score indeed. All the best for admits