My GMAT experiences 720 (M=50, V=36)

I took the GMAT on Monday 23rd Apr, and came away with a score of 720 (Math=50, Verbal=36). I think my essays should fetch me a 5 or a 6. I would like to share my test and preparation experiences with you all and hope that it may help someone. …

I took the GMAT on Monday 23rd Apr, and came away with a score of 720 (Math=50, Verbal=36). I think my essays should fetch me a 5 or a 6. I would like to share my test and preparation experiences with you all and hope that it may help someone.

The Test itself:
My GMAT appointment was at 1:15 in the afternoon. I found this timing a bit tricky as it was to early to lunch and go, and at the same time I had to eat a heavy enough breakfast to keep me charged through the test. I must admit I had prancing butterflies in my stomach all morning. I reached the centre at 12:15 itself and was allowed to start the test immediately after the check in formalities. The workstation for the test was comfortable, and the writing pads provided were adequate and easy to use.

First up were the essays - my "Analysis of Argument" was the easier of the two essays. I found it tough to get more than two valid points for the "Analysis of Issue" essay, but I hope that the decent examples I provided will ensure an overall score of 5 at least.
The maths section was pleasantly quite easy (I did expect to get a 51 in the end :(); I was caught off guard a bit though on the Verbal section! I repeatedly got stuck between (or among?:)) 2-3 close options on both SC and CR questions. I really did feel that after the great start in the maths section, I was now on a downward spiral!. And when the test did get over, I was quite satisfied with the 720 I got (overall I am just a tad bit disappointed not to touch 730+ after achieving encouraging scores of 750 and 760 while prepping).

My preparation:
I put in 2 months of study effort for the GMAT. I had prepared for the CAT in 2006, so nothing in Maths was new; GMAT SC principles and AWA were the only new topics that I had to work on. I used the Kaplan 2007 premier course, and the GMAT official guide edition 11. While Kaplan is weak on the maths front, it is very good for Verbal. The 4 CAT tests and extra online practice material that it provides make it a worthwhile investment. I also preferred the way Verbal question were explained in Kaplan as compared to the sometimes dense and mechanical explanations in the OG11. But you really shouldn't take the GMAT without doing the OG11 as it drills into you many of the aspects that that are frequently tested upon.

My test scores (in chronological order) were: PowerPrep#1: 720, GMATPrep#2: 720, Kaplan paper test:670, PowerPrep#2: 760, GMATPrep#1: 750, Kaplan CAT#1: 630. I also gave 2 tests from 800Score.com and a few sectional tests from the Kaplan CD.

My profile:
5.5 years experience with a major tech MNC,
decent grades in engineering from NIT-T,
fair amount of extra curricular achievements and instances of leadership skills
GMAT: 720 (M=50, V=36), AWA: 4.5
TOEFL: 115 (ibt format)

My future plan:
Applying to colleges in India and abroad for entry into the class of 2008.

I wish everyone of you success and the best of luck on your way to a great career!

Update: Got 4.5 in the AWA :(...made me feel low for a day; I've heard though that schools don't always pay much attention to this part of the score, with the gradcom head of one ivy school actually laughing away their use (living on hope costs nothing :))! I hope that my score of 30 on the TOEFL writing at least mitigates any harm done!

Congratulations on getting a good score!

May I know which batch of NITT you belong to and about your company!

I belong to NITT 2004 Civil Batch.

hey man,
congrats for the great score 😃 wat all schools you are targetting?? ATB :thumbsup:

Hey man,

Congrats !!!

for the great score

Wat all schools are you targeting ........ in India ?

@ Niraz, Amit and Mohit - guys thanks for your wishes. I haven't researched enough yet about schools abroad. In India I plan to apply to ISB, IIMA and IIMC...perhaps to XLRI too. Where are you guys planning to apply? What are your profiles like?

Niraz I belong to the 2001 RECT batch...would Like to keep my company details confidential though! Feels good to bump into a fellow NITTian! 😃

I am planning to apply to ISB, not sure of IIMA , B or C as my work ex is 3 years which is not sufficient for that purpose.

Planning to give my GMAT in June this year.

Rest depends on that.

Hey needed to ask you and Amit something: like How much is Kapln premier edition 2007 with the Cd is different from the one that is generally available online as a free download. If there is much difference then I need to buy it. If not then ............... if will survive with the soft copy that I have.

Please update me on this ........

Looking for Co-operation from ur end.

Cheers .........

Mohit

Amit you seem to be online, if you can help me on the above post that would be GREAT ?

Great to see alumni of my college doing well...:)
Yup...me also from NITT..present final year..that is..2007 batch of NITT

All the very best..& keep the flag of NITT & PG flying high..!!!!

Hey needed to ask you and Amit something: like How much is Kapln premier edition 2007 with the Cd is different from the one that is generally available online as a free download. If there is much difference then I need to buy it. If not then ............... if will survive with the soft copy that I have.
Cheers .........

Mohit

Sorry Mohit, I didn't know that an online copy exists :(. Many people say that the kaplan tests are too hard, the scoring system flawed, and therefore the test is not really representative of the actual GMAT. I guess that might be true to an extent, but I still feel that kaplan with all their experience over the years should produce questions that are similar to that asked on the GMAT. So you can use their questions at least for practice if not to simulate a real test. Hope this helps :)..good luck!

hey buddy
i have no idea abt the online copy but the CD tests are really tuffffffff. you can safely add a score of 80-120 to get an indication of your real GMAT score. btw, whens ur GMAT? :thumbsup:

Congrats OMW :D

I have some stupid queries

What was the screen resolution of you computer monitor>?

and
Is neckerchief i hanky (handkerchief) is allowed in test center?

Thanks.

I have some stupid queries

What was the screen resolution of you computer monitor>?

and
Is neckerchief i hanky (handkerchief) is allowed in test center?

i cant tell you the exact resolution buddy but its a comfortable one and NOTHING is allowed inside the test room. just your passport for identification purpose 😃

& what if you sweat like hell 😞 do they provide their (American) tissue

no worry...earplugs and tissues (to wipe away the tears) are provided.

I have taken the dates for my GMAT for first week of July, 2007

hey Congrats buddy!

I have another question about the test centre... How is the erasable writing/rough pad given? Is it usable? I have heard a lot of stories about the pen being too thick, etc...

ATB,
Rohit

Hi Rohit,
I found the erasable pads easy to use. Make sure you test the pens they give you. The pads are already ruled, so it might make life easier if you plan to use it for eliminating choices.

Plzzzzzzz Guide Me As Hw To Start My Gmat Prep

Hi Rohit,
I found the erasable pads easy to use. Make sure you test the pens they give you. The pads are already ruled, so it might make life easier if you plan to use it for eliminating choices.

PLZZZZZZZ GUIDE ME AS HW TO START MY GMAT PREP