My GMAT experience : 780 Q:50,V:48

Hi guys, I just gave my GMAT and am really happy with the score : GMAT: 780 99% Q : 50 95% V: 48 99% Some highlights: AWA: I had the templates prepared and just stuck to them. Quant : Got 3-4 hard Prob/P and C q…

Hi guys,

I just gave my GMAT and am really happy with the score :

GMAT: 780 99%
Q : 50 95%
V: 48 99%

Some highlights:

AWA: I had the templates prepared and just stuck to them.

Quant : Got 3-4 hard Prob/P and C questions.I think this is where I screwed up and did not get a 51 in Quant.
The rest of quant was easy, similar to level in Powerprep and GMATPrep.

Verbal : I found this pretty easy, similar to Powerprep and GMATPrep.I got a couple of difficult SCs and 1 difficult CR.

The scratch paper system is not ideal as they only give you a limited amount at a time.I had to get more scratch paper on 3 ocassions.

Just for perspective these were my scores on the practice tests I gave:

Kaplan 3: 730
Kaplan 4: 700
GMATPrep1: 730
GMATPrep2 : 750
Powerprep 1: 780
Powerprep 2 : 780.

As is evident Powerprep is a pretty accuracte predictor of the score.

I have been a silent member on PG for around 1 month and it is a great resource.
Thanks guys.

Wow that is a fantastic score. You rock !

Would love to know more about your prep since I am taking it in a couple of weeks

What material did you use ? How long you spent on prep ? What were your mock scores like ? ...........the usual :)

Arun

Hi guys,

I just gave my GMAT and am really happy with the score :

GMAT: 780 99%
Q : 50 95%
V: 48 99%

Some highlights:

AWA: I had the templates prepared and just stuck to them.

Quant : Got 3-4 hard Prob/P and C questions.I think this is where I screwed up and did not get a 51 in Quant.
The rest of quant was easy, similar to level in Powerprep and GMATPrep.

Verbal : I found this pretty easy, similar to Powerprep and GMATPrep.I got a couple of difficult SCs and 1 difficult CR.

The scratch paper system is not ideal as they only give you a limited amount at a time.I had to get more scratch paper on 3 ocassions.

Just for perspective these were my scores on the practice tests I gave:

Kaplan 3: 730
Kaplan 4: 700
GMATPrep1: 730
GMATPrep2 : 750
Powerprep 1: 780
Powerprep 2 : 780.

As is evident Powerprep is a pretty accuracte predictor of the score.

I have been a silent member on PG for around 1 month and it is a great resource.
Thanks guys.

ur score rocks man!!!!!
wats ur background n which b-schools u r applyin 2 ...........

dude can u plz post the templates or mail me at [email protected]

thanx in advance.....
Parikshit.
well. buddy.. u r the silent Killer..

Please share your experiences as it might be helpful for us to get a better score.

Which books u mainly refered.

Sam

first of all CONGRATULATIONS for such a wondeful score....

Man ur Score Rocks.........

Did a gr8 job......

Ur score itself speaks a lot about you....

but I would suggest you to post ur Complete preparation plan, ur strategy, the material u used, websites u refered..., problems encountered etc etc in a very detailed manner....

I think doing that will help many of Us here in many ways.....

Expecting a post with all those things soon....

Once again my hearty CONGRATULATIONS to You....

Thank You....

May God Bless You

Regards,
Satwik

bombaite rocks :-)
can you please share your AWA templates with the lesser mortals over here ?

Aesome stuff dude
Keep it up :thumbsup:
Cheers!!!!

Hi guys,

Some points about my preparation :

Books referred :
OG10
Kaplan
Princeton Review

Software:
Kaplan
Powerprep
GMATPrep

My preparation:
Verbal:
For strategies I referred to Kaplan and Princeton (any one will do).
For practice I solved OG10 completely.
OG is in general the best resource for GMAT.The verbal in my estimation is very close to the actual GMAT.
Sent Correction is one area where, with proper focus one can improve a lot.Keep a detailed error log for SC especially and not down common idioms and phrases .This helps a lot in the final few days as a revision resource.

Quant:
GMAT quant is tougher than quant in any of the avaiable softwares/books.Prob and P and C are not covered adequately in any book.
For these topics I referred to some old CAT material I borrowed from a friend .It was IMS material.
For practice once again I solved OG 10.

Tests:
I gave 2 Kapan, 2 GMATPrep and 2 Powerprep tests.
Kaplan tests are good and especially Maths is somewhat similar to GMAT level.
There is a bit of overlap between GMATPrep and Powerprep.
In my case, my Powerprep scores (780 and 780) were identical to my actual GMAT score (780). I think overall powerprep scores will be a good indicator for your eventual score.

AWA:
My study for this was around 4 hours total :)
I developed my templates based on the ones in Princeton Review.
To be perfectly honest, I did not get any time to practice AWA at all.I wrote AWA for the first time in the actual GMAT :)

Some advice for the test:

Expect tough Quant early on.Do not get flustered if you are not able to solve a very diff problem.Just do POE, guess and move on.
To be frank I found verbal easy .It was basically very much OG level, nothing more.

Somebody asked me bout my profile:

Another Indian IT guy :)
B.E. Bombay University
Working in IT , total experience 3.5 years
Been onsite for the past 1 year.

Looking for your suggestions and help on college selection guys!!Any ideas .Am looking at US only.

Cheers

thanks Buddy for sharing your experiences with us..looks like u have a natural ability for AWA. : ...
I do not see a reason why u should not be able to get to Harvard or stanford...
All the best for your apps process. ..

hi,

Thanks for such a detailed post regarding ur preparation....

and regarding univs, i tink u'll easily get into TOP 10 like Kellogs, Harvard, Tuck etc etc....

ALL THE BEST for the rst of the application process...

by the by, r u applying for Fall'06 ?

or for Spring'06 ?

keep in touch....

and it wud be helpful if u cud give ur personal email ID (Yahoo) so that many of us here can ave a direct chat with U and get our doubts clarified....

keep in touch...

bye

Regards,
Satwik

Thats a cool score bombayite!! .. All the best for your application process
Thanks for sharing your prep strategy..

Hi I am planing to join princeton review....can u give me a suggestion..as the fee is 20000 for quant only i am not able to decide...a real confusion..

Hi can u please help me out regarding Gmat that I am looking for only indian colleges in gmat like sp jain, imt for executive mba, great lakes chennai and IIms so kindly tell me till when I should give my exam so that I can join these colleges from june or july 2011.

ur score rocks man!!!!!
wats ur background n which b-schools u r applyin 2 ...........

dude can u plz post the templates or mail me at

thanx in advance.....
Parikshit.

Buddy You do not put your contact details on the PG..

You can PM that guy for the details.. Hope it helps..
kuldeep_160 Says
Hi can u please help me out regarding Gmat that I am looking for only indian colleges in gmat like sp jain, imt for executive mba, great lakes chennai and IIms so kindly tell me till when I should give my exam so that I can join these colleges from june or july 2011.

Hi All,

Even I am looking at Indian Colleges..Does someone have a list of Indian b schools accepting GMAt score??

And how good is Great Lakes Chennai??? Any one??

Most B-Schools in India that take GMAT scores offer a 1 yr program..
Thelist is available at http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/1-year-mba-vs-2-year-mba-25045416

Though not exhaustive it is fairly comprehensive..

Hi All,

Even I am looking at Indian Colleges..Does someone have a list of Indian b schools accepting GMAt score??

And how good is Great Lakes Chennai??? Any one??

kuldeep_160 Says

The admission process is currently going on for admit to 2011 batch.. If you have not yet started with your GMAT prep, then you have very little time my friend!!
Most B-Schools in India that take GMAT scores offer a 1 yr program..
Thelist is available at http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/1-year-mba-vs-2-year-mba-25045416

Though not exhaustive it is fairly comprehensive..

The admission process is currently going on for admit to 2011 batch.. If you have not yet started with your GMAT prep, then you have very little time my friend!!

hi jawaharnr,

I would like to ask you a few things,

> I have 4yrs and 3 months workex should I still fill in form wherein 5 yrs of work ex is required and try my Luck ??

> how would you rate part time Mab and executive course ??

> I am planning to take GMAT by april-11. is this the correct time to take the test as i am targetting indian ( like ISB, SPjain, IIM's, IMI etc ) and singapore b-schools for executive
programme ??

> Apart from the GMAT score anything specific is needed in profile that I can start before hand to make my profile competative for isb.

Thanks in advance
mechanimal