My GMAT Experience 700(Q-50, V-33)

I was dying to give my GMAT exam but finally finished it yesterday. Got a score of 700 when it seemed that I was cruising very well in the verbal section, which I dreaded the most. Probably did some blunder in verbal section. Anyways happy that …

I was dying to give my GMAT exam but finally finished it yesterday.
Got a score of 700 when it seemed that I was cruising very well in the verbal section, which I dreaded the most. Probably did some blunder in verbal section. Anyways happy that I atleast touched the magical figure of 700, which i needed badly.

Profile: 4yrs IT experience (will have 4yrs 8 months by March 2009)
Acads: Fundoo (Engineering Topper)

Thinking of applying to IIM-C, XLRI, ISB, SPJAIN, NSU.

Will post more details soon.

Got a score of 700 when it seemed that I was cruising very well in the verbal section, which I dreaded the most. Probably did some blunder in verbal section. Anyways happy that I atleast touched the magical figure of 700, which i needed badly.

Congrats on ur excellent score buddy.
dude, Can u plz tell ur strategy for the exam..
the books which u followed
ur scores in gmatprep, kaplan etc(ne other series which u followed)

Thanks...congrats once again 😉

Congrats dude.... I have just decided that I am gonna write GMAT sometime in January... I am yet to start studying though... Any guidance??? Am also targeting 700-730 range.... What material did u use? any specific books?

Hey Abhishek...Congrats on your accomplishment of touching the magical figure and all the best for apping season.

All of us are looking forward to your strategy for GMAT and how do you feel the questions were in terms of difficulty level when compare to OG or GMATPrep as this is a long lasting debate going on over various forums. :bigear:

Also, as the other puys asked as which books you refer to and tests you took.

Although you used to be a topper in your engineering days, you must be looking the things from a different height when compared to a so-called engineer like me but it will still help.

1st post since 2005...its been long time

Btw are you somehwere outside India as you are mostly targeting indian B schools, which as per my limited knowledge only consider GMAT score when you have been outside india for a particular duration ?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations bro on an awesome score. ATB for your applications.

Hey Dopa,

Thnx a lot. I referred to following material:

1) OG10
2) OG11
3) Kaplan800
4) Manhataan SC
5) OG Verbal Review CR
6) OG Verbal Review SC
7) Some 150 SC's from 1000 SC

Tests which i took:
1) GPrep (640,690)
2) PowerPrep(740)
3) Kaplan (610,590,570,590)
4) GPrep reinstalled before d day (730)
5) Score800 5 verbal section tests
6) Scoretop 5-6 verbal set tests

I didn't work much on Maths/DS as I was always gud in these areas.
Mostly concentrated on Verbal.

Level of real GMAT exam as compared to all test I gave:

Maths seemed somewhat tougher as compared to all the tests I gave. Verbal seemed very easy as compared to all tests I gave but result was not in accordance with my understanding :)

I have international experience of 17months and total exp of 4yrs.
Right now in India. Wanna do MBA from Asia (India/Singapore) because:
1) Asia (India/China mostly) is the place where action will happen going fwd
2) Financial reasons like I wud have to stay outside after MBA to recover cost etc

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks a ton for the useful post.

Do you know what's the criterion for indian students to apply in indian colleges with GMAT score. I know that in some colleges like IIMs they ask that you must have lived outside US for a certain period of time.

I am also outside india since last 11 months so will be in the same boat after couple of years

Hi Dopa,

As such the criteria doesn't have international experience as min requirement but yes it boosts your overall profile.

Hi Dopa,

As such the criteria doesn't have international experience as min requirement but yes it boosts your overall profile.

Hi Abhishek,

I visited websites for some of the colleges like IIM A,B,C,K and NM and found that you can apply with the GMAT score only if you have been outside India for 1 - 1.5 years AND you should be outside India when tests like CAT are being conducted in the country, else you have to appear for the CAT.

Try to visit the sites of the individual colleges for more info.

Thanks!

Hey congrats man!
Even i took the GMAT five days back.. and got a similar 700...
damn hate this situation coz i don have quility work ex to supplement the score..
anyway.. now begins the race to shortlist institutes...

Hi Abhishek,

I visited websites for some of the colleges like IIM A,B,C,K and NM and found that you can apply with the GMAT score only if you have been outside India for 1 - 1.5 years AND you should be outside India when tests like CAT are being conducted in the country, else you have to appear for the CAT.

Try to visit the sites of the individual colleges for more info.

Thanks!

Thats interesting. Honestly i never knew that IIM's accepted GMAT score. Being the lazy person i am, never even bothered to cross verify simply assumed that these institutes dont accept GMAT. Now that i know they do i might apply there as well.

I have being out of India since Nov 06, but there is a catch. I was in India on work for one month last year and again going to be in India in Dec this year for couple of weeks on vacation. What do you guys think? Do i still meet the requirement of applications for IIM's?
This time for sure i am going to checkout the website, but it would help to know what Pugs out here think about this.

Thanks Dopa to bringing this out.

Hi Ankit,

Congratulations on the great score. I am planning to give my GMAT in near future. What I want to know is how was the level of questions both in Verbal and Quant. Has the difficulty levels increased recently?

Hi Abhi,

Congratulations on the great score. I am planning to give my GMAT in near future. What I want to know is how was the level of questions both in Verbal and Quant. Has the difficulty levels increased recently?

congrats wel can u help me wid the books whic book to go for?

Hi Abhishek,

First up congrats for the magical figure.
About the tests u mentioned, you have any links u could help us with where soft copies/the tests may be available. Are any of these paid tests as well...

Thanks a ton

-Regards,
Girish

Congrats Ankit..
I also took the gmat in oct'08 and scored 700.
can you please share with me the details of how to apply for iim's and xlri thru gmat score.it'll be very helpful..

Hi,

Please help me out.. I've just given my gmat and i 've a score of 370 with 25 in verbal and 17 in math.. i have to give it again in january so that i can apply for the july/september intake.. please suggest how to boost up my score around 300 points..

it was my first GMAT ever....ended up with 750...lets see what lies ahead of me...

Hi,

Please help me out.. I've just given my gmat and i 've a score of 370 with 25 in verbal and 17 in math.. i have to give it again in january so that i can apply for the july/september intake.. please suggest how to boost up my score around 300 points..

looking at your scores it seems that you didn't prepare at all for GMAT...if thats true then you should prepare first and if thats not true then you were racing in the wrong direction buddy....