My dilemma - Please advice

I have a low GMAT score of a mere 460. I am keen to start my MBA in fall 2011. Given the low score I have achieved I would need to look at schools which would give greater stress to my work exp. As on date I have 3.5 years experience in our …

I have a low GMAT score of a mere 460. I am keen to start my MBA in fall 2011.
Given the low score I have achieved I would need to look at schools which would give greater stress to my work exp.
As on date I have 3.5 years experience in our fairly well known FMCG family business, which has good international presence too. Due to my work commitments I was not able to give complete justice to the GMAT and landed up with a low score, unfortunately I do not have the time to take it again right away.
I am currently 26 years old and would prefer a 2 year program and hence was more keen on the US but given my low score and deadlines for US schools I might not have many options.

I spoke to a few well known counselors in Mumbai and given my situation they have advised me to give the following schools a try:

-Brandeis, Boston
-Aston (They do not require GMAT but have no started asking for it since last week)
-Univ Nottingham ( I would have a better chance as GMAT is not req)
-Hult (I am not too keen on this one as have not heard much about it)
-IE (Would be a long shot)

Personally I would like to go to a school like Babson but I believe their final deadlines are Jan 15th?? (Is that true or can we apply after too?). I will not be able to make that deadline as I am currently brainstorming over the essays. Is it worth trying, even as a long shot?

I know there isn't much I can be sure to get in with a low gmat score but I believe my work experience speaks for itself and I hope to come up with a stellar essay and interview prep.

But I'd appreciate if you'll could inform more school that are worth giving a shot
Please advice based on my priorities:
-Good source of networking hence good brand name/metro city location. I hope to meet with like-minded professional and family business people
-Case study based format
-High international students
-I am not looking for a scholarship or worried about job placements after.

Thanks for your help. Look forward to your feedbacks.

I have a low GMAT score of a mere 460. I am keen to start my MBA in fall 2011.
Given the low score I have achieved I would need to look at schools which would give greater stress to my work exp.
As on date I have 3.5 years experience in our fairly well known FMCG family business, which has good international presence too. Due to my work commitments I was not able to give complete justice to the GMAT and landed up with a low score, unfortunately I do not have the time to take it again right away.

Personally I would like to go to a school like Babson but I believe their final deadlines are Jan 15th?? (Is that true or can we apply after too?). I will not be able to make that deadline as I am currently brainstorming over the essays. Is it worth trying, even as a long shot?

But I'd appreciate if you'll could inform more school that are worth giving a shot
Please advice based on my priorities:
-Good source of networking hence good brand name/metro city location. I hope to meet with like-minded professional and family business people
-Case study based format
-High international students
-I am not looking for a scholarship or worried about job placements after.

I am a current student at Babson. Babson's average GMAT this year is 625 which means there are people above and below that score. Coming in from a family business, I can tell you that Babson will be a very good school for everything that you are looking for in a program.

I will recommend that you apply to Babson. I did my Babson app in less than a week because the questions lend themselves well to expressing yourself nicely. Call the admissions office and tell them that you are applying for the Jan 15 deadline and are planning to retake the GMAT. After applying, retake it and push your score till 550-600 atleast. Anything above will improve your candidacy proportionally. Schools usually consider the highest of your scores.

Your work ex is lower than the Babson average, but the quality of work ex might be something that you can speak to.

If you are really committed to Babson, you need to get going. Now!
Babson is a good school. The GMAT range for Babson is 600-640. To be honest, I don't think you have a chance at Babson.

To me, you should take 3-4 weeks off work and prepare for the GMAT. Aim for a 600+ score and then you can target many good schools in US.

-Bhavya (MBA '09 Chicago Booth)

Bhavya,

There is a correction. Babson's mid 80% GMAT range is 550 - 700.