Mumbai Community Service - Naseoh, Chembur

Hello Folks, Its better we fix up the timing for this weekend’s meet at NASEOH before hand. We are meeting this Sunday at : NASEOH(National Society for Equal Opportunities for the Handicapped) Postal Colony Road near Maa Hospital C…

Hello Folks,

Its better we fix up the timing for this weekend's meet at NASEOH before hand. We are meeting this Sunday at :

NASEOH(National Society for Equal Opportunities for the Handicapped)
Postal Colony Road near Maa Hospital Chembur, Mumbai -71.
Ph : 25220224/25220225.

The timing for the meet would be 2.30 PM or 3 PM as you decide. This is to ensure everyone can turn up , spend a couple of hours at NASEOH and then go back home.

The date of the meet at NASEOH is : 13/06/2004 - This Sunday :)

Please confirm that you are meeting up on that day by replying to this thread. Incase you need the contact nos of all the CS members, feel free to PM me and I'll send over a copy to you.

lets meet at 2:30 at chembur station (PF #1)... what say others....

NASEOH(National Society for Equal Opportunities for the Handicapped)
Postal Colony Road near Maa Hospital Chembur, Mumbai -71.
Ph : 25220224/25220225.

The timing for the meet would be 2.30 PM or 3 PM as you decide. This is to ensure everyone can turn up , spend a couple of hours at NASEOH and then go back home.

The date of the meet at NASEOH is : 13/06/2004 - This Sunday :)

Yes, I shall be there... I guess the auto guy shld know Maa Hospital... 😃 Make it 3pm pls!!! PGz, I shall send u all the contact info of guys who wanted to be around!!!

Simba

yep me too coming...3:00 wud be better ,baki whtever is decided wud be fine wid me

i'm in too....3 pm on sunday!!..:)

Me in too..would reach Chembur station by 3 PM..anyone coming by train..we can meet up at platform 1 indicator ke niche..

-Kanti

3 PM it is. Will be at Chembur Station - Platform no. 1 before 3 PM.

Wayne may not be able to come in today because he had to undergo a minor operation 2 days ago. If any of you guys have any doubts, please call me up 😃

Guys, I can't seem to get my thoughts in a coherent fashion here. Kanti, Ami , Ashish .. can you please post a summary.

Hi folks,

The Mumbai Community Service chapter finally started off with a brief with the NASEOH students yesterday... thanks to the ppl who made it to NASEOH yes. Ami, Allwin, Puneet, Gary, Ashish, Sowmya n Kanti... n urs truly....

Kanti, Allwin, Ashish n Ami had started off the session with the students along with Sudha(DG of Naseoh)....I made a late entry thx to the local trains(Sunday is an imp. factor as Kanti mentioned as well). Gary followed suit...

Sudha did most of the talking on behalf of the students...Mustbe due to the fact that they have never met a grp of ppl who were willing to know their desires n were discussing the same with them...But my guess is the ice wud be broken in the next session when we actually start teaching them....COming on to wot we planned..

Web designing n prg were the two areas which the students were inquisitive abt...But as one student put it right, lack of information n guidance r the issues to be tackled...To this, one ofthe PGites suggested that internet cud be the answer if they learn how to do use it..Thus, the idea of starting off with an internet-awareness course germinated...

We have decided to get started next Sunday with a batch(the modalities have to be worked out)...We can add soft skills, confidence-building, programming, etc gradually after gauging the response n aptitude...

Kanti made a valid point when he suggested that providing them jobs after the course wud be a challenge which we have to work on in tandem...As these students r data entry operators for Datamatics(who r keen on providing high-end jobs if they prove themselves), Sudha said she wud talk to the concerned person who will brief us on the high-end jobs that they can provide n the skillsets which will be reqd.

Sudha walked us thro' the place...Since it was a Sunday, the junta cudnt have a dekkho at the talents at work...They really move u in many ways....

As Sudha was thinking hard where to take us for coffee, Allwin got a call n he joined us at CCD with Simba n Puneet...

Sudha was very happy with the committed bunch of PGites who wanna do their bit...Let the tribe increase....

Hope the momentum continues....

Personally, I was also pleasantly surprised at the no. of ppl who turned up...I wanna thank each one of u(which i cudnt do yes. as we were busy ambling thro' the crowded Chembur stn road on our way back)...The grp split here..Myself along with AMi n Ashish took a rick to Ghatkopar n the rest went searching for the bus stop to Borivili....Havent heard from them since....

Wayne was the one with whom I had co-ordinated the whole thing but he cudnt make it as hewas recuperating after a minor surgery....Get well soon buddy...

It is simply amazing how the online forum works so beautifully...U r so comfortable with strangers(if i may say so)....Power of PG methinks..Kudos to Allwin for the gr8 job....Sounds like a cliche now but nevertheless.....

It was nice to meet fellow PGites for the first time...

ciao...
NSD

PS: Wayne had mentioned that i wasnt a regular poster..Buddy I hope this makes up for that...I wish i had more online time 😞
neways, will make the most of wot I have 😃

Nice sum up of the events that happened y'day NSD !!!

They have a nice lab, developed with the help of aid from JAPAN, which has around 20-25 PC's (with 4 AC's)... 24hr net connectivity ... so basically these people have the infrastructure but they lack direction n enthusiasm...

Sudha & PGites would be working with DATAMATICS (meeting is still to be scheduled) to understand their requirements & how can we help in getting these people employed in the ITES sector.

Right now, we have (actually kanti ;-)) decided to go ahead with a brief overview of 'What & how to use Internet' ??

so we would be meeting them again on sunday (schedule not fixed)...

it was gr8 to meet ami (aki wanderlust), PG, Kanti, rajalakshmi (aki NSD), Sudha, Gary (aka spiderman), sowmya & puneet...

ashish

hey Ashish...My name aint spelled that way..its Rajlaxmi 😃

Great Post Rajlaxmi .. We're off the mark and all thanks to the junta ! It was definitely very very suprising to see people drop in even after the meet was over just to get updated on the matter and keep in touch .. Awesome .. absolutely awesome 😁 Proud to be a part of what we have here 😃

Since, most of the meet details have been covered up, I will do the summarizing part 😃 After arnd 90 minutes of discussion with Sudha n the folks at Naseoh, a 2 point action list was drawn up:

1. The Datamatics grp wants to outsource more work but at the same time want these ppl to scale up n come to a certain level before moving ahead. We are not very sure wat they mean by "scaling up" and thus, have asked Sudha to set up a meeting with the datamatics ppl to discuss out the specifics. Based on their requirements we would be planning out our future course of action. Sudha will try n arrange for a meeting on Saturday evening or Sunday. She expects arnd 3-4 of us to join her for the meet.

2. While these activities proceed in the background, on an immediate basis, we plan to take up some foundation courses for these ppl. To start with, an internet refresher course is planned next sunday. Other refresher courses in the pipeline are email writing, interview skills, presentation and other soft skills.

Coming to main thing..how do we organize next week's session...i had thought of a ppt thing followed by a handson but further deliberation makes me believe that we shld scrap the ppt plan. Since, they dont have a projector, all the ppl would have to gather arnd a single comp. which would lead to lot of confusion. Instead, i think we shld go for the good old blackboard..Sudha's agreed to provide us with a blackboard n marker...my estimate is a 0.5 hr theory with 1 hr of practicals :))

As for the faculty, we would be needing 3-4 ppl...prolly we r gonna have 2 batches. Please, nominate urself :)) We will agree upon a basic structure for the session n the nitty-gritties will be left for the faculty to decide.

I suggest we split up..one grp taking up the session next week n the other grp meets the datamatics ppl..ofcourse there r gonna be common ppl like Allwyn :)) but rest can split up.

We need to mail Sudha to confirm sunday timings...i suggest 3 or 3:30 PM...kya bolte ho??

Ppl pour in with ur nominations and ideas.

Cheers,
Kanti

PS: Can someone PM me Sudha's email address

hey kanti , dont scrap the ppt plan . we can easily load the presentation in every pc and one person can explain . the comp room is small enough for everyone to hear from corner to corner

But wouldn't a blackboard be easier..loading the ppt on each comp..vaise bhi we r gonna have more of hands on thing..the theory part is gonna be hardly 0.5 hr...and ppt banana padega...

Kanti Says
But wouldn't a blackboard be easier..loading the ppt on each comp..vaise bhi we r gonna have more of hands on thing..the theory part is gonna be hardly 0.5 hr...and ppt banana padega...

I Thought the ppt was ready . banana padega then drop it .

Heyy guys...great to see the NASEOH plan going great!!

I'm really sorry for not being able to make it...the reason being known to PG and Ami... :oops:

But things look good at NASEOH....just read the posts!...plz keep posting the further plans too!!

Cheers!
Gaurav.

Great Start Guys :).....Sorry I couldn't make it this Sunday but am feeling quite OK now and will definetly make it to NASEOH next Sunday.

Great to see so many of the Mumbai People making it to the first session with NASEOH and may the numbers continue to grow :).

PS: Wayne had mentioned that i wasnt a regular poster..Buddy I hope this makes up for that...I wish i had more online time
neways, will make the most of wot I have

Yup, more than makes up for it :). Great Posts NSD, Kanti & Ashish, u guys have covered everything in detail.

An Internet Refresher course to start off with seems like a nice idea and as Kanti mentioned we could then look at many other lessons/courses as well.

Things seem to be falling into place at last and as PG said I'm glad to be a part of this too.

Cheers,

Wayne

back on the forum after more than a fortnight....gr8 to read that mumbai league has finally taken off.....COUNT ME in frm the next session of mumbai league...