hello puys. we come across some common words which have secondary meanings or have uncommon usage. also, there are words which have multiple meanings, all of which have completely different context/connotations. and then there are words whose mean…
hello puys. we come across some common words which have secondary meanings or have uncommon usage. also, there are words which have multiple meanings, all of which have completely different context/connotations. and then there are words whose meaning we've learned purely from colloquial usage whereas the dictionary meaning of that word may be somewhat different.
i'm starting this thread as a repository for such words we come across and which we can share among ourselves. a few to begin with are:
- a number of connected items written consecutively
- lean over to one side
- desire, inclination, to want or like
- not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering or representing facts
- a goal or aim
- the lens in a telescope or microscope nearest to the object observed
- an angle more than 90 degree but less than 180 degree
- a metal container for cooking food in
- criticize harshly
- swing (a video camera) in a horizontal and vertical plane to give a panoramic effect or follow a subject
- including everything and everyone e.g. Pan-India strike
- a government licence to an individual or body conferring a right or title for a set period, especially the sole right to make, use, or sell an invention
- easily recognizable; obvious
- a person walking rather than traveling
- ordinary, unimaginative
- an ornament (hanging from necklace etc.)
- a light designed to hang from the ceiling
- (an object) hanging down from something
- a landless agricultural worker
- a bonded servant to do menial work
- catch hold of and pull quickly
- determination and courage
- a minute opening in a surface
- to ponder, scrutinize
- substance deposited from a solution or suspension
- cause (an undesirable event) to happen unexpectedly and prematurely
- cause to move suddenly and with force
hello to all my bright friends.
the meaning and the connotation of a word depends on and is determined by the context in which it is used. to understand this concept wekll, one has to read more number of books and newspaper, as well as try to converse in the language with more number of people.
Nice thread,just stumbled here some time back,but wish some more inputs over here.