MSc in Management as copmared to MBA

Hi, I am am Electronics and Telecomunications graduate with 3 yrs of experience in technical field. Can anybody comment on how good are the MSc in Management courses as compared to MBA course especially for me, when I have no managerial …

Hi,

I am am Electronics and Telecomunications graduate with 3 yrs of experience in technical field.

Can anybody comment on how good are the MSc in Management courses as compared to MBA course especially for me, when I have no managerial experience?

Regards,
Prajakta

Hi,

I am am Electronics and Telecomunications graduate with 3 yrs of experience in technical field.

Can anybody comment on how good are the MSc in Management courses as compared to MBA course especially for me, when I have no managerial experience?

Regards,
Prajakta

Hi Prajakta,

M.Sc Mgmt Vs MBA

M.Sc Management programmes are more Theory based and have less practical/industry exposure. M.Sc programs are offered to Freshers (as an Eligibility criteria). They are easier to get-in, are much cheaper, and have Poor Employability rates (or the M.Sc Graduates get much lesser Packages than their MBA counterparts)

In Nutshell..an M.Sc Management has a 'Lesser-value' than the MBA. :-(

Btw you are eligible for the (UK/EU) 1 yr MBA..which asks for min 3 yrs of work-exp.

Which schools have you applied and in what programs.. M.Sc or MBA?

Cheers :)
Dr Saurabh.

hey mate ,

any knowlegde about work permit ?? i knoe 2yrs, but i want to work more than 2yrs ova there

hey mate ,

any knowlegde about work permit ?? i knoe 2yrs, but i want to work more than 2yrs ova there

Dear,

Your Post-MBA stay actually depends on your Fate..of getting a job and your employer would arrange the Tier-1 VISA for you. As long as you have this..you would stay in UK..or else you'll have to pack-up to return back.

An MBA/M.Sc qualifies you to stay there in UK for 2 yrs..but for Junta..who unfortunately Failed to get a job Post MBA/M.Sc..have/had to come back within a few weeks/month..:-( as it is almost Impossible to do Job-Hunting for 2 yrs in UK.. being Phenominally Expensive..& you cannot Live with part-time jobs :nono:

So dear..it is advisable to Think wisely & proceed for your UK MBA..as the ROI in India is bad. This is because most of the Non-ranked UK MBA degrees are not well regarded by the Indian Employers and even by the UK Employers . So think 100 times before investing your Time-Money-Energy.

Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dr Saurabh.

dr saurabh..
wats ur take on IE's Masters in International Management (Spain) vs. MBA (in general) ?

Dr Saurabh,

Firstly, congratulations for all these admits.

Now coming to the point, thank you for the reply. Actually I got pre-assessment done by some good schools in UK offering the MBA course, but in most of the cases the median profile of the class is as follows:
1) 7 yrs of experience, with atleast 3 yrs of managerial experience
2) Decent GMAT score (which I have)

So I was just wondering if it would be better to do MSc course from good institutes than doing MBA from an average schools? But considering your advice, I will most probably apply for MBA courses only. I haven't made any applications yet, as I am looking forward to Fall 2011 intake.

Regards,
Prajakta

Hi Praajaktaa,

Now coming to the point, thank you for the reply. Actually I got pre-assessment done by some good schools in UK offering the MBA course, but in most of the cases the median profile of the class is as follows:
1) 7 yrs of experience, with atleast 3 yrs of managerial experience
2) Decent GMAT score (which I have)

Yes that's True

So I was just wondering if it would be better to do MSc course from good institutes than doing MBA from an average schools? But considering your advice, I will most probably apply for MBA courses only. I haven't made any applications yet, as I am looking forward to Fall 2011 intake.

It's a Right Step..for the MBA Applications :)

1. Which schools have you Finalised for MBA ?
2. What is your GMAT score?
3. What is the post-MBA field..you are looking for ? Is is the same domain..or you are going for a Career/Domain change with an MBA?

Cheers,
Dr Saurabh.

Regards,
Prajakta

Hi Dr Saurabh,

My GMAT score is as follows:
1) 710 (92%)-
Verbal-35
Quant-50

I have not decided upon school. From the information I had gathered I just thought that UK/EU is a better option than US for MBA as the time span and expense both are less. I still need to do a lot of research to choose right school. I have been working in telecommunication, my job mainly involved following responsibilities:
1) Presales testings/validation testings (10%)
2) Installation and Commissioning of Mobile Networks (25%)
3) Maintenance and troubleshooting of the network as a member of second level support team (45%)
4) Training new staff (10%)
5) Periodical customer interactions (10%)

I am interested in doing MBA in Product Management, but I would also consider sales/presales (not marketing) as second option.

Regards,
Prajakta

Hi Dr Saurabh,

My GMAT score is as follows:
1) 710 (92%)-
Verbal-35
Quant-50

I have not decided upon school. From the information I had gathered I just thought that UK/EU is a better option than US for MBA as the time span and expense both are less. I still need to do a lot of research to choose right school. I have been working in telecommunication, my job mainly involved following responsibilities:
1) Presales testings/validation testings (10%)
2) Installation and Commissioning of Mobile Networks (25%)
3) Maintenance and troubleshooting of the network as a member of second level support team (45%)
4) Training new staff (10%)
5) Periodical customer interactions (10%)

I am interested in doing MBA in Product Management, but I would also consider sales/presales (not marketing) as second option.

Regards,
Prajakta

Dear Prajaktaa,

First of all let me congratulate you for your Good Profile & Excellent GMAT score (710)

So have you Shortlisted any UK b-schools that 'FIT' your aspirations?
Just to tell you a Fact..that Most of the TOP UK schools have a higher average experience & age (Than your's)..howevr the official Minimum Experience is 3 yrs..& the Experience is Calculated at the Time of Application..& not at the time of Matriculation (eg September..etc).

But still I would Encourage you to apply for MBA courses only.
One course that i would recommend you..besides the MBA is..
MM (Master of Management..similar to the M.Sc courses) @ LBS (London Business School)..They look for young guys..with lesser experience..the avr GMAT is 700 (so u easily Qualify this requirement)..the Fees is at-par with the Top Tier-2 UK-MBA programs..& the LBS-MM guys have a 'WOW-FEELING'..among the UK & EU Employers.

Feel free to have any further help.

Cheers, :)
Dr Saurabh.

Hi Dr Saurabh,

Thank yo uso much for the information about LBS-MM. I will surely consider this course. Also, I have decided to go for MBA courses only. Maybe I will have to choose from Tier-2 schools or else I will have to gain some more experience (which I do not want to do). Just one question if you do not mind, how did you manage to get admits from so many good schools?

Regards,
Prajakta

Just one question if you do not mind, how did you manage to get admits from so many good schools?

I applied to these schools..My application was selected..then I was invited for the Telephonic Interview..And after Clearing all these procedures..a Final admission decision was given by the Admission committee of the respective business school.
It is how..we apply to many colleges..when we prepare for a Competitive Examination. So few guys..make it to many schools..this gives good an Opportunity of good choice of selection.

But..why was that Doubt..?

Since I have a Healthcare background..so most of the schools were 'Interested' and 'Happy' to select me..as they look for Diversity in the Class..& these schools believe that the Student learns Immensely from Faculty & Cohort as well!

I applied to most of the Top Tier-2 schools..& in some Top schools..like Cranfield, Manchester, Cass & HEC-Paris..Before the application..I gave my Informal assmt.& got good feedback from them..but they asked for GMAT..So I wrote it in a hurry-worry without any preparation...& scored less (600)..so I never gave my scores to them & withdrawn my application for this year.

Hi Dr Saurabh,

I have recieved admits from Bradford and Birmingham for MBA course. Also I have applied to MBS, Australia. Can you please suggest how good are the two UK schools?

Regards,
Prajakta

Dear Dr Saurabh,

I had applied for the following schools and the application status is as given below:

1) Bradford--Full Time MBA-- Accepted
2) Birmingham--Full Time MBA-- Waiting
3) Bond (Australia)-- Full Time MBA-- Waiting
I have to sent the confirmation by 31 July. What is your opinion about Bradford?

Regards,
Prajakta

Dear Dr Saurabh,

I had applied for the following schools and the application status is as given below:

1) Bradford--Full Time MBA-- Accepted
2) Birmingham--Full Time MBA-- Waiting
3) Bond (Australia)-- Full Time MBA-- Waiting
I have to sent the confirmation by 31 July. What is your opinion about Bradford?

Regards,
Prajakta

Hi Prajaktaa,

-See Bradford is fine.. but I think that with a decent profile and your strong GMAT.. you Deserve a much better school than Bradford.

-Why u are in a Hurry-worry..Wht I feel is that you should not settle with anything less than the Top 5-6 UK b-school.

-If you are considering Australia.. then try for ONLY these two top schools:
1. AGSM, Sydney
2. MBS, Melbourne

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply!
I am not in a hurry, my initial plan was to go for Fall 2011, but the admit was for 2010 intake. So I could have saved one year. Secondly, top schools require work-ek of 5 years which I will not have next year also (I have work-ex of 3 years currently). I have been team lead, but that does not reflect on paper and there is no chance that I will have managerial exp on paper even by next year. In telecom the kind of job you do remains the same. So the work profile will not have significant change.

Only this time I got to apply for a few schools as for the remaining once admission cycle was closed. Next year I can start early and apply for more schools. Do you think that will help?

Regards,
Prajakta

Thanks for the reply!
I am not in a hurry, my initial plan was to go for Fall 2011, but the admit was for 2010 intake. So I could have saved one year. Secondly, top schools require work-ek of 5 years which I will not have next year also (I have work-ex of 3 years currently). I have been team lead, but that does not reflect on paper and there is no chance that I will have managerial exp on paper even by next year. In telecom the kind of job you do remains the same. So the work profile will not have significant change.

Only this time I got to apply for a few schools as for the remaining once admission cycle was closed. Next year I can start early and apply for more schools. Do you think that will help?

Regards,
Prajakta

Yes, it's a good Idea to apply early for the Next year's intake (2011).

And you are Mistaken that the Top schools look for 5yrs min experience.
Its not the case.. the min requirement is 3 yrs.. however the avr work ex.. would be much more than 5 yrs.. but hardly matters. See if you have a Good story to tell & to convince the adcoms.. then you can make it. Dont forget that you have a good GMAT score.. which could Compensate some of your weak points in your Profile.

You can start your applications from as early as October in some & Nov in many schools. The Admissions are Rolling.. so the Early it is.. the safer & Easier it is to get into.

Prajaktaa, you can also apply to some Good US schools.. & with a good GMAT score..you are likely to get Excellent scholarships.. even upto 100% of tuition waiver. Remember GMAT was started by the US business schools only.. so they regard GMAT to the core and award the best schols or GAs.. depending on your Profile & score.There are some US B-schools which have a lesser tenure of MBA (
The UK & EU b-schools look Primarily for Work-ex... & the US schools look for GMAT (Very Important)+Profile.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I would consider the US schools. Actaully, initially I was considering US as an option. But then MBA in US seems too expensive at least to me (nearly 50 lacs). I was thinking of educational loan to bear big portion of the MBA expenses. Also going by the feedabck by some of my friends and relatives in US, the employment condition in US was not so good (atleast till this year). The MBA offered by UK shcools costs much less and also the duration is less (1 year).
I can imagin to recover 20 lacs in case I do not get a job in UK. But thinking of recovering 50 lacs is....
But the problem with UK schools is that they do not compromise on work ex. Good schools like Warwick have mentioned that they can consider on academic front but not on work ex. I guess it is better to gain some more work ex at least for one/one and half year more and then go for the UK B schools.

Thanks. I would consider the US schools. Actaully, initially I was considering US as an option. But then MBA in US seems too expensive at least to me (nearly 50 lacs). I was thinking of educational loan to bear big portion of the MBA expenses. Also going by the feedabck by some of my friends and relatives in US, the employment condition in US was not so good (atleast till this year). The MBA offered by UK shcools costs much less and also the duration is less (1 year).
I can imagin to recover 20 lacs in case I do not get a job in UK. But thinking of recovering 50 lacs is....
But the problem with UK schools is that they do not compromise on work ex. Good schools like Warwick have mentioned that they can consider on academic front but not on work ex. I guess it is better to gain some more work ex at least for one/one and half year more and then go for the UK B schools.

Yes Prajaktaa.. its a Wise & an Excellent Idea.. to gain some more experience & apply thereafter.

Hi,
I am planning to give GMAT on 30th Aug. I am working In Oracle from past 8 months(1st job).
got 92.13% in 10th and 93 in 12th. My GPA is 9.1(91%).
I want to apply for Msc In management (for 2011 batch)to schools such as LSE,LBS,HEC,ESCP,Rotterdam.... How are my chances(expecting a GMAT score of 700)?
And how are the employment opportunities in INDIA just after graduating from these?

Thanks in advance