MS/MBA Finance, confusion over admission, where to apply?

Hi, I am looking to apply for MS finance in LBS, LSE or OXBRIDGE , But i’m not sure if my profile is good enough to apply there. Profile: 1) B-tech Computers (65%), How can i convert it into GPA, Any idea? (someone told me my academi…

Hi ankit

to answer your queries... you need to determine if you want a masters in (core) finance or a financial engineering(quant) program. If its the latter(i.e you want to move to areas of cap mkts i.e as a trader/quant/risk manager) then US offers the best choices... princeton, berkeley, stanford, columbia etc
If its core finance(i.e you want to get into investment banking/corp finance/asset management/VC/PE) then UK would offer the best courses..as you already mentioned LBS, followed by LSE, Oxbridge.

Now, I have applied to LBS MiF and LSE MSc Finance and Oxford MSc in Financial Economics. I got iv calls from LBS and Oxford. LSE is rolling and is still evaluating my application.

Your background should be good for most of the US programs,since you have done coding..and those courses want that.

My background: comp engineer(mumbai univ... distinction), worked for 2 years at an ibank in technology, then took the FRM exam and passed..got an internal shift to the finance department in valuation control.( this i guess helped me get an iv call especially at LBS)... candidate for CFA Level 1 etc...

PM me if you need any further details ... Best of luck

I applied only to these 3 programs, coz didnt want to go in for a Financial engg prog in the US. In the UK, I guess, these 3 are the top 3.
LSE takes in people depending on the requirement of the specific prog. for e.g MSc in Finance and Accounting requires a background in accounting, which you may not have. Try for the new MSc in Finance course... that doesnt require any pre-knowledge.
The drawback abt LSE is that its an academic course... you would be probably one of the few "experienced" ppl. So, you could possibly land with a lower Analyst kind of role. Plus, I dont think you would gain a lot by just undergoing a very theoretical course. But at the end of the day.. its LSE and a big brand. But the course doesnt match up to the fees you gotta pay!!!
Oxford also has a avg work-ex of 2.5 yrs...u shud try for that.

Hope Pankaj you end up with a good gmat score. as far as exp is considered you have a very good exp and a gmat score of 700 or above will open the door of LBS, LSE or Oxbridge for you. I know some of the guys with same profile like you are pursuing MS Finance from above institute. So hope for best, you will achieve your goals. Hope this will bring some confidence in you.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a post work ex Msc Finance in Europe. My Brief profile:

MBA(68%. Univ 6th Rank) from a Tier 2 Indian Uni. 3.5 yrs (by Sep 09; 6 months in London) in an offshored investment banking process. GMAT : 680. IELTS :7.5.

I'm applying to the following courses:

1) RSM - MFM
2) Oxford - MFE
3) LBS - MIF (I dont think I'll make the cut though)
4) SDA Bocconi - MCF
5) LSE - Msc Finance.
6) Warwick - Msc Finance.
7) ICMA.

Pls let me know if there are other good courses I've missed.

Regards,
Harsh.

hi guys,

i am looking for ms in fin too at LSE.

my profile -
gmat - 670/4.5 (q - 94 percentile)
workex- 21 months in IT/ 10 months as derivatives trader
academics - 78%
extracurriculur- good

any idea wat are my chances? is gmat score less or i shoud give another try?

thanks,
anuj

Hey fellow puys

I got an admit from Oxford's Said Business School for the MSc in Financial Economics (MFE) -2009-10. I would be glad to help anyone with regards to the application for the same.

I am awaiting LBS MiF results and would most probably take that if I get it. Lets see what lies in store.

@anuj: i guess your work-ex is your USP and you should highlight that in your applications. If you have moved from IT to finance without a postgrad degree, it talks a lot of your passion and motivation.
Although, I feel that work-ex will be appreciated at places like LBS/Oxford or even IE/HEC etc..ie primarily business schools. LSE gives lot of importance to academic performance... (one indication is that your recos need to be academic compulsorily).. so along with LSE, look at the other schools as well

hi derivativesguy,
congratulations for your admit in oxford.

can you shed some light on this course. dat wat are the job prospects after course in financial economics and wat is your background. have you done engg or b.com.?

wat is your profile?
nd specifically what did you mention in your apps - y financial economics?

thanks,
anuj

Hi anuj

Thanks for your wishes. My background(mentioned it somewhere).. i am a comp engg from the mumbai univ, passed out in 2006, got placed at Lehman Bros in Mumbai in IT... had lot of interest.. so took the FRM exam and passed it last yr... got to move to a core finance role within Lehman( now Nomura). got a gmat score of 720.

From my research, financial economics is gr8 bcoz it allows you to structure your course either as a financial engineering prog/ or a corporate finance kinda program. The first 2 sems.. are a little more quantitative than usual Ms in finance courses.. with asset pricing and econometrics etc.. but in the final sem, you can completely look to specialize in corp fin/ private equity/ m&a; etc or you may go deeper in cap mkts.. trading etc
Prospects.. well ,no clue on how placements were last yr, but traditionally, ppl from the course get placed in traditional IB roles, asset management, VCs and even consultancy jobs.

Next yr, we dont know how things will pan out. I am looking to enquire more abt the placement scenario this yr. will let know if I find any concrete info.

thanks buddy.... thats lot of info.

if you have researched can you shed some light on ms in finance and ms in financial economics...? how these two courses are different? nd to go into trading and investment which one is preferable..??

there r 3 types of courses in this area:
1. fin engineering/fin maths : heavily quantitative ( 70% math and 30% finance probably ).. these are geared towards a career in quants/risk management/trading/structuring etc
2. finance: these are very CFA type courses... more on general aspects of finance: corporate finance, asset pricing, M&A;, valuations etc.. more suited for IB roles/PE/VC/ asset management
3. financial economics: only oxford has this..from my knowledge.. this mixes the finance one with a dose of economics.. again suitable across corp fin or trading roles.
Most US univs would offer 1. Most UK/Europe ones would offer 2 and 3. It depends on what you want to do. If it is trading for sure..then financial engg/fin math would be ur best option.

Check out this forum.. GMAT Club Forum & Discussion Board € View forum - MS Finance

hi buddy,

i have few more queries.
for me ms in finance is the best course. but m stuck between the options where to apply.

m planning to app mainly in uk as us demands gre score which i havent given.

on the net i was able to find few univ in Uk such as-

1. cranfield
2. manchester
3. lancaster
4. oxford
5. lse
6. warwick

i knw lse is extremely good. but can u shed light on others.
how good ms in fin from these univ nd where do these univ stand?? i mean in terms of experience in studying there as well as financial terms.

thanks,
anuj khemka

well.. i have not really "researched" on univs in uk.. but without doubt, lse, oxford, lbs and cambridge are probably the top univs/schools in the uk.. not looking at any order.

LSE is very academic. Oxford, Cambridge and LBS will be more professional. Cambridge's course is very new though, so is LSE's MSc in Finance(full time).

warwick is good as well, from what i have heard. But dont have more details on those courses.

Hey dude

I am really no authority in defining chances. Else, I myself wouldnt have applied for a LBS. LBS has a facility to mail ur resume to Peter Johnson, their admissions officer and he will reply back with a review on your profile and ur chances. Take that up.It may not give u the answer u seek, but no harm in trying.
Haas is core financial engineering...as i mentioned earlier and again is a top program in the US... so competition is going to be tough. Dont have a clue on the HEC program.
IE busines school also has a new MFin and that seems good.

Best of luck

hi pgs .... i am a fresher and was looking for an ms in finance in UK ( after trying for all b schools in india ). i was primarily interested in mba in the top 20 in india but dint get anywhere. i have got a call from icfai hyderabad but have got mixed response from people. i have got an offer from lancaster. now i have to take a decision very soon and would be really gr8 if u all can give me some advice ... i have also applied to manchester, nottingham, lse and warwick. What r the employment chances for this course in UK and as i want to work for 1 yr out there and what is the value of the course back in india?

g_nikhil7 Says
hi pgs .... i am a fresher and was looking for an ms in finance in UK ( after trying for all b schools in india ). i was primarily interested in mba in the top 20 in india but dint get anywhere. i have got a call from icfai hyderabad but have got mixed response from people. i have got an offer from lancaster. now i have to take a decision very soon and would be really gr8 if u all can give me some advice ... i have also applied to manchester, nottingham, lse and warwick. What r the employment chances for this course in UK and as i want to work for 1 yr out there and what is the value of the course back in india?

As regards Manchester, I know someone who did her one year MSc, got a job in Marks & Spensor's retail.. was a struggle. Came back to India & is now with Microsoft in Hyd., HR division, getting about 9 lac/annum. Keep in mind that UK is also badly afffected by recession right now. The position is better in India, & Manchester in particular is pretty well recgd. in India, I have no idea about the other ins.

Hi All,

I have admits from the following :
LSE (Msc acc & Fin)
Cass(Msc Fin)
RSM (MFM)
Cranfield(Msc Fin and Mgmt.)
ICMA (Msc ISIB)

Which do you think would be the best?

Hi PGs , i have just finished comp sci engineering (wid 76 % ) n by d time i will apply for postgrad i will be havin 1.5 yrs wrkex in Infosys , as software engineer...will i have a chance of gettin admission into MS in finance of good universities aftr my wrkex , if not then what should i do to make my chances better in gettin admisn for MS( Fin) course for good universities...????? pleeeeassee put in ur advice .. m spending d most confused days of my life dese days .., any words of guidance will be of immmeennse help for me

Please help me guys. Anyone?

I applied only to these 3 programs, coz didnt want to go in for a Financial engg prog in the US. In the UK, I guess, these 3 are the top 3.
LSE takes in people depending on the requirement of the specific prog. for e.g MSc in Finance and Accounting requires a background in accounting, which you may not have. Try for the new MSc in Finance course... that doesnt require any pre-knowledge.
The drawback abt LSE is that its an academic course... you would be probably one of the few "experienced" ppl. So, you could possibly land with a lower Analyst kind of role. Plus, I dont think you would gain a lot by just undergoing a very theoretical course. But at the end of the day.. its LSE and a big brand. But the course doesnt match up to the fees you gotta pay!!!
Oxford also has a avg work-ex of 2.5 yrs...u shud try for that.

hI DERVATIVES gUY, sorry dnt knw ur actual name...i need some info regarding FRM course that u did..approximately hw long will one take to complete that course, and frm where u did it..wat was the fees?? did u complete that course along wid ur job...

i am deepmala, residing in noida..i did bachelor of business studies from shaheed sukhdev college of business studies, delhiuniversity.. post that i have 2 yrs of expe in research, analysis, operations, project management, resource planning..i left my last aug to take mba exams, bt didnt convert any call..so nw im again looking fr a job..im more interested in financial research, analytics, consulting type of a job where i can learn a lot...do nt want to go bk to my previous company as the work exp there will add no value to my interest and my resume..t wud be gr8 help if u could lemme knw companies in mumbai or kpo's where i can apply... i have also thought of doing CFA frm AIMR once i get a decent job...

thats why i was enuiring abt the FRM course, that on completion of that course will i get a decent job and can i do that course along wid my job....

pls help me..i wud be really grateful to u....