Mitigating a low GPA ?

I have a low GPA (2.7), a few bad undergrad grades (2 F’s - but later scored well on retaking the courses), my semester GPAs have been on a remarkable ascent throughout my four years - from 1.8 in the first semester to 3.2 in the later two years -…

I have a low GPA (2.7), a few bad undergrad grades (2 F's - but later scored well on retaking the courses), my semester GPAs have been on a remarkable ascent throughout my four years - from 1.8 in the first semester to 3.2 in the later two years - had a few personal/family problems at the beginning of my UG career. I've graduated from an IIT, hope that counts for something.

Have a high GMAT (770), workex in a strategy consultancy, plenty of client interaction, business analysis, and lots of responsibility for a 22 year old - almost all of my colleagues are MBA's, I'm the rare graduate. I have been assured great recos, since I'm one of the top performers.

Just wanted some pointers on the best way to mitigate my less than stellar performance - was considering taking on a correspondence diploma in Strategic Finance from ICFAI (relates to my job profile as well) course (1 year), or maybe another correspondence course in finance from somewhere, already have lots of UG level extracuriccs, as well as volunteer work. I will be applying for the 2008 session, so I have 2 years to make any value additions to my application - a total of 3 years workex by then.

I would be really grateful if anyone would shed some light on my chances at a top 10 school - financial aid not an issue, thankfully - and what I could do to increase my chances. In non US schools, I was also considering Ivey. Would I be out of the reckoning to begin with because of the F's? Thanks in advance. Any insights/advice welcome.

I have a low GPA (2.7),

had a few personal/family problems at the beginning of my UG career.

Have a high GMAT (770),

was considering taking on a correspondence diploma in Strategic Finance from ICFAI (relates to my job profile as well) course (1 year), or maybe another correspondence course in finance from somewhere,

I would be really grateful if anyone would shed some light on my chances at a top 10 school

Hi there,

I think you need to explain what kind of problems you've had. Your GMAT also shows that you can do better when you have the opportunity, so build your story around it.

I would advise you to be careful with additional stuff whilst trying to mitigate earlier non-performance or to enhance your profile. Don't overkill. If you have enough time, I'd suggest to get into CFA rounds or something like that. Even the best correspondence course won't bring you to Harvard, and it will always sound "correspondence" course.

Also think about other parts of your profile, do you have international experience, enough management or supervision, cross-industry, etc. Imo, if you've got the rest right and a credible explanation of your undergrad debacle, someone from the top 10 would be interested.

As for Richard Ivey, it's a very good school, I know few MBAs from there and they are all ok. You can also take a look at Rotman and McGill.

Cheers.