MIT - Malaysia instiute of supply chain innovation (MISI)

Hi, I couldn’t find a thread for Masters in Supply Chain from MISI (Malaysia). The course is designed by MIT and delivered by faculty from both MISI and MIT. Here is the website for the same: MSCM Program | Malaysia Institute for Supply …

Hi,

I couldn't find a thread for Masters in Supply Chain from MISI (Malaysia).
The course is designed by MIT and delivered by faculty from both MISI and MIT. Here is the website for the same:
MSCM Program | Malaysia Institute for Supply Chain Innovation

I have got an admit for the program. I am looking for candidates who have applied for this program and are interested in knowing more about the program.

MISI started this program this year. But MIT's SCM is ranked #1 or 2 in the world.

Hi sharathbt21 !

I have also got an admit from MSCM. I am an Indian residing in Rishikesh. Work Ex-4.5 years, gmat 710, toefl 109.

I am willing to join the program. Are you willing?

Please share your profile.

Do you have any idea about the number of offers issued by MISI so far.

Regards
Robin

Hi Robin,

I am joining the program. I sent my acceptance letter yesterday.
My profile: WorkEx- same 4.5yrs (3 in IT, 1.5 in ops consulting), gmat 690, toefl 110. I work in Bangalore.
I dont have any idea abt the number of offers made. I couldn't find any thread anywhere discussing about this.
I think its a great program with a lot of potential. Just that MISI has not marketed much till now. But I think MIT and other SCALE network programs are pretty solid in terms of currculum and career opportunities.

Are you attending the info session?

Regards
Sharath

Dear Sharath,

I have also sent my acceptance yesterday. But haven't received any confirmation from their end. Did you get any confirmation.

I have registered for the Delhi event. But i am afraid that i will not be able to attend it.

Are you going to attend any information event?

Regards
Robin

Nope even I dint receive any confirmation. I guess they wont send any.
I have registered for Chennai event but dont know whether I will be going or not. Depends on my work.

How did you find out about the program? What research have you done so far? It would be useful for other candidates as well.

Did you get any scholarships?

Dear Sharath,

I have written some queries to MISI and received following replies

Following Point 1 to 6 replied by Dr. Mahender Singh :

1.Whether program will be run by only six full time faculty members or you are in process of recruiting more faculty members.

I would like to address this question in a different way rather than simply provide a number. Clearly, being focused on SCM and offering Masters degree only at the moment makes the course load quite easy to handle even with a small faculty base, provided we are able to provide the breadth of courses required to impart world class education. Since we are associated with the SCM program at MIT, the breadth of the coursework is established by the norms set by the MIT curriculum. Accordingly, the selection of faculty has been driven by the need of the MIT curriculum. We are confident that we are in good shape as we have done this before at the Zaragoza Logistics Center in Spain. Indeed, more faculty members will allow us to offer additional choices which will benefit students even more. To this end, we are in the process of hiring additional faculty members and also made arrangements for adjunct and visiting faculty to make sure that the students are provided complete support. As we add more programs and grow in size, we will be adding the required members to the team in the future. Hope this will allay your concerns about the adequacy of the teaching capability of MISI. We will have small class size and only supply chain related course offerings which are quite manageable with the team in place, but if you have any additional question, please let us know, we will be glad to discuss it further.

2. How frequently will visiting faculty would be coming to MISI.

The visiting faculty will be limited to a few since we want to build resident capacity here in Malaysia. Indeed, we will be bringing practitioners and faculty members from the region for short stints as needed, we don't have specific numbers in mind. Also, please note that some of the special type of courses will be conducted when the students will be visiting MIT in January.

3. Are you planning a career cell at MISI? If yes, how is it going to facilitate the placement process.

YES. we will have a dedicated career counseling and support available to the MISI graduates. We will collaborate with the career/job team at MIT CTL to make sure that we have positioned our students in the market most effectively. This is extremely important for us, and as much as the students are interested in securing jobs, we too are focused on making sure that all graduates are extended the best opportunities available in the market. To this end, we will be channelling our connections at MIT/ZLC as well as personal network to make sure that the students are successful.

4. Did some companies partner with MISI?

YES. We have secured commitments from multiple global and local companies to this effect already and will continue to bring more industry partners to the fold. We are CONFIDENT that we will have access to the leading companies operating in the region to support our program. The focus on supply chain practice is at the core of what we do and accordingly, we have been working on connecting with the industry right from the outset.

5. Will the student thesis be company sponsored thesis, as in SCM or ZLOG programs?

YES. The students will have the opportunity to work on company sponsored thesis just as the SCM program at MIT.

6.What are the scholarship opportunities for year 2012-13.

We have multiple merit based scholarships available to students. Indeed, the chances of securing scholarships are far greater in the inaugural year so I highly encourage you to apply this year and bring a strong application to us. Although GMAT/GRE scores will count a lot towards the award, we will look the whole application to make the final determination.

Following Points 1 to 4 replied by Dr. Asad Ata

1. With such a small faculty base, how are you going to cater such a wide spectrum of electives. The Core is what will be covered by the MISI Full Time Faculty. Not all Electives will be available all at once. Some of the electives will depend upon the availability of the visiting Faculty for that period. As Dr. Singh indicated there will be more faulty coming on board.

2. What is the class size planned for inaugural program. Our class sizes are small. 15 to 20 for MISI. MIT CTL has it 20 to 35.

3. Can you please provide specific details about scholarships - number, amount, deadline. 50% tuition scholarship is available based on Merit. In some cases this amount can go up to 75%. The earlier a student gets accepted into our program, the higher the chances to avail from the scholarship pool. The admission criteria in independent of your financial need. You have to fill in the essay in the MSCM App Form in the Financial Aid section.

4. How will MIT and ZLC assist MSCM students in their job search. - During the period in MIT in January the students (from MIT ZLOG CLI and MISI) do a poster session on their Thesis topic. It is during this time that the students get interviewed by the potential employers in USA. MISI will help prepare for this before the trip. This link has some details on the employers and sample job titles.
SCM Placement Details | Malaysia Institute for Supply Chain Innovation

I hope you will find it useful.
By the way, please let me know how did you out-remit MYR 1000 to MISI. I had a troublesome experience with Axis BAnk. Please let me know a convenient way to do so

With best regards,

Robin K Thakur

Hi Robin,

This is very useful. They have honestly replied on all the main issues that a student can think of, when deciding to join a new program.
There are couple of webinars in youtube done during Jan and Feb this year. It mainly is focused on all SCALE networks. Both current students and alumni have given their views about the program and their career progressions.

Regarding outward remittance:
I also had problem while trying to do an outward remittance. I did it through HDFC bank. Unfortunately HDFC dint have MYR as one of their trading currencies. They asked me to check with MISI about the exact USD value.
MISI registrar was very helpful, she called up her bank and checked, but the conversion rate varies by country.
I just transfered 350USD which is a little more than 1000MYR. I am planning to check with MISI if we can do the final fees payment in USD.

I think SBI has MYR exchange, but not all SBI branches do this kinda transaction.

Hello all,

This course sounds interesting. Can you please give the details of the course
a) When did the first batch passed
b) Howz the placement from the school

regards

Hi Ashish,
MISI was started in 2011 or 2010, not very sure. MSCM program will have its 1st batch this year.
MISI is part of MIT's global scale (supply chain and logistics excellence) network.
For placement details please check the website posted by Robin above.

Hi,

I have around 5.5 years of experience with GMAT score of 700. However I am yet to take TOEFL/IELTS. Does MISI admit candidates without TOEFL/IELTS?

Hi DreamCT !

I suggest you to please contact Dr. Asad Ata, Director of Graduate Programs.

Regards

Robin

Hi Sharath!

I have just gone through the website of Education Malaysia and found that

All applications for student passes by international students are done through Malaysian educational institutions.

From this I understand that MISI is suppose to arrange study passes for us. Although I have written an email to MISI about this. In case you have any more information please share it.

With Kind Regards

Robin

Hi Robin,

I dont have any idea about this. I am waiting for the admission package, which I hope will contain all the details about such matters.
Did you get any confirmation mail from MISI regarding the admission acceptance? I think TT takes 2days to reach their account number.

Hi Sharath!

I have received the confirmation email on day before yesterday. It was from Dr. Asad Ata. He also mentioned that admission packet will take a few to reach.

Regards

Robin

hi Robin,

Even i got a confirmation from Dr.Asad. He said we'll receive the package in couple of weeks.
Do you have any idea about accomodation, visa process etc?
Also can you please let me know your background? Work ex.. graduation..

Hi Sharath!

So, finally we are making it to MISI.

I had recently written an email to MISI on same issues and here it is:

My queries:
1.Can I move to MISI along with my spouse.
2. Accommodation facility at MISI.
3. Shall we visit to MIT only or ZLC also.
4. Approximate expenses for 9 months program including study tour(s).
5. Any other issue you wish to let me know.

Dr. Asad Ata's Replies
"Yes, you can bring your spouse. You will have to work out the expenses and find out any immigration requirements. I will also check for those requirements at our end here.

We are working on the student accommodations and will get back to you shortly on Apartment rent and monthly expenses. Sharing with other students for Bachelors it could range anywhere from 800 to 1500, depending upon your life style. We are also seeing if we can work out a transport from student accommodations to MISI.

Cost of Travel and Hotel to MIT is included as part of your tuition. For now we have no plans to visit ZLC. There will be other site visits, for some of them MISI will not pay, but the costs will not be prohibitive. We can always discuss that on a case by case basis if that becomes an issue.

As an FYI August 6th is a public holiday here in Malaysia, so the 1st day of classes/orientation would be from Tuesday August 7th. Also the venue for our Visit to CP has changed from Park Hotel to Lalit Hotel."

About me :
I am a Engineering graduate (Electronics and Communication) from Himachal Pradesh University, 74.% passed out in 2007. I belong to Mandi, H.P. Since Oct 2007, I am working in a central government undertaking THDC, a hydro power generating company.

Please let me know any specific detail you wish to know.

I have an admission offer from Imperial College London. but considering the prevailing condition in U.K. and visa regulations it seems worth to go ahead with MISI. If felt necessary MBA could done later on.

Please share more details about you.

Hope to see you soon

Regards
Robin

Hi Robin,

It looks like all the questions that I have are already raised by you with Dr.Asad :)

I am also an Engineer (BE from VTU, Karnataka) same 2007 pass out. I work for Tesco (UK's largest and world's 3rd largest retailer). I had got calls from couple of US B schools for MBA. But felt that this course is more interesting than a general MBA. Also the cost is manageable compared to a cost of doing MBA in US.

I think MISI is trying to make our move easier by looking for accomodation and transport. I hope everything will be in place by Aug. I dint know that the cost of travel to MIT was included in our fees, thats quiet good news.

I am looking at linkedin and facebook groups to find out other students who are joining this program. But cant find anything anywhere.

Hi Robin,

It looks like all the questions that I have are already raised by you with Dr.Asad :)

I am also an Engineer (BE from VTU, Karnataka) same 2007 pass out. I work for Tesco (UK's largest and world's 3rd largest retailer). I had got calls from couple of US B schools for MBA. But felt that this course is more interesting than a general MBA. Also the cost is manageable compared to a cost of doing MBA in US.

I think MISI is trying to make our move easier by looking for accomodation and transport. I hope everything will be in place by Aug. I dint know that the cost of travel to MIT was included in our fees, thats quiet good news.

I am looking at linkedin and facebook groups to find out other students who are joining this program. But cant find anything anywhere.

Hi,
What portion of travel to MIT has been included in the fees? I guess the fees should include only air fare to MIT. Well does anyone have idea of total expenses of staying in MIT for a month ? Also can anyone tell me when the programme will start ?

Hi DreamCT!

As per Dr.Asad Ata (Director for Graduate program) our airfare to MIT + Accomodation there is included as part of total fees.

Program will start from Aug-07th.

If you are interested in applying then u better mail Dr.Asad and find out whether they are still accepting applications from international applicants.

hope this helps.