Mission B-School

So here starts my journey to try and get into a B-school, possibly one of the Top-20 and I’ll be needing your help and guidance throughout this journey. I have carefully gone through some of the the posts on this forum so here is my profile: …

So here starts my journey to try and get into a B-school, possibly one of the Top-20 and I'll be needing your help and guidance throughout this journey.

I have carefully gone through some of the the posts on this forum so here is my profile:

- Just over a years work experience with a leading IT firm (Yes, sounds very less but the time I get around to my applications it will/should be upto two)

- Completed my B.Tech (Electronics and Communication Engineering) from an NIT with a CGPA of 5.96/10. (One aspect I am really worried about)

- Now my extra-ciriccular activities have been great and more importantly diverse throughout my school and college years.

So here are a few questions I have for you all and I really hope you can help me out because these questions have been bothering me for quite some time.

1) First of all, my work experience. There are probably thousands of applicants like me with the same job profile, so I plan to stick to my current job for a year and a half before joining a NGO for a few months, depending on whether I get a good GMAT score ofcourse. Will that help in any way to "stand out" of the crowd? If not, then what will?

2) My undergrad percentage. It's on the lower side, yes and it has already affected me to quite an extent. But how much will it affect me when it comes to applying for B-Schools? Now I know that the Ivy League is pretty much out for me, so I'm looking outside that.

3) Target schools. Frankly speaking, B-Schools in the US are on the bottom of my list. I'm looking into Europe, Australia and NZ and Canada and then comes the states. Any recommendations or suggestions?

These were the three burning questions and would love suggestions to come pouring in from all sides.

Thanks!

a. Write the GMAT - you may not need gmat for european schools

b. You can;t do much about your GAP - make up for it with a good GMAT score
c. Build your resume - work for 2-3 more years before applying for an MBA program
d. Build your leadership story - b-schools look at that more than your gmat scores and gpas
e. Polish your communication skills

Moral of the story - you need a complete package, just gmat score/gpa won't get you far.

Dear Debanjan13,

I am Inga, from Frankfurt School of Finance and Management. First of all I would like to ask yourself are you specifically looking for an MBA course or MSc. would be also of your interest as requirements for these programs are pretty different. For example, in our school you will need at least 3 years experience in the specific field to be able to apply for the program. Hence, if you go for Master of Finance, International Business or Management the work experience will not be mentioned as one of the requirements, however CV and your overall achievements will be considered while applying.

I would like to agree with akshaybs: GMAT is not the only one requirement and it will not guarantee you the admission; there are some other steps to follow. If you are looking into a foreign university, you would usually need TOEFL or equivalent score of English, GMAT or GRE, successful interview pass et cetera. I would like to advice you to check with the precise universities and especially the programs you are willing to study as requirements might be different. Looking at your CGPA score, I could say it is a bit worrying, but then you should put strength in scoring well in GMAT and TOEFL as well as passing the interview really well (i might be talking about our university specifically, but I believe the systems is more or less same for B-schools). If you have less points in one exam and more in the other one you can still be successful depending on the scores of other applicants. You should check, however, what are the minimum scores which allow you to apply. Also you might take a look if universities have their own admission tests (such as our FSAT, for example), which is successful, grants you direct admission to university without any need to go for GMAT or equivalent.

You may also check on the work opportunities in the countries you are going to apply and visa conditions for students (recently UK and US made it pretty strict for students, while Germany made it much easier, extending the students visa for 1.5 year directly after graduation). That would also help you to list the schools and countries while thinking of your future investment.

Hope, it answered at least a little bit to your question.

Wishing you best of luck!
@akshaybs said:
a. Write the GMAT - you may not need gmat for european schools
b. You can;t do much about your GAP - make up for it with a good GMAT score
c. Build your resume - work for 2-3 more years before applying for an MBA program
d. Build your leadership story - b-schools look at that more than your gmat scores and gpas
e. Polish your communication skills

Moral of the story - you need a complete package, just gmat score/gpa won't get you far.
Thanks for the advice! Yes, shall be appearing for the GMAT over the next 6 months. Considering it's valid for 5 years, I will definitely consider building my work experience.
So from what I can understand...I can make up my low gpa with other aspects of my resume.
@frankfurtadm said:
Dear Debanjan13,

I am Inga, from Frankfurt School of Finance and Management. First of all I would like to ask yourself are you specifically looking for an MBA course or MSc. would be also of your interest as requirements for these programs are pretty different. For example, in our school you will need at least 3 years experience in the specific field to be able to apply for the program. Hence, if you go for Master of Finance, International Business or Management the work experience will not be mentioned as one of the requirements, however CV and your overall achievements will be considered while applying.

I would like to agree with akshaybs: GMAT is not the only one requirement and it will not guarantee you the admission; there are some other steps to follow. If you are looking into a foreign university, you would usually need TOEFL or equivalent score of English, GMAT or GRE, successful interview pass et cetera. I would like to advice you to check with the precise universities and especially the programs you are willing to study as requirements might be different. Looking at your CGPA score, I could say it is a bit worrying, but then you should put strength in scoring well in GMAT and TOEFL as well as passing the interview really well (i might be talking about our university specifically, but I believe the systems is more or less same for B-schools). If you have less points in one exam and more in the other one you can still be successful depending on the scores of other applicants. You should check, however, what are the minimum scores which allow you to apply. Also you might take a look if universities have their own admission tests (such as our FSAT, for example), which is successful, grants you direct admission to university without any need to go for GMAT or equivalent.

You may also check on the work opportunities in the countries you are going to apply and visa conditions for students (recently UK and US made it pretty strict for students, while Germany made it much easier, extending the students visa for 1.5 year directly after graduation). That would also help you to list the schools and countries while thinking of your future investment.

Hope, it answered at least a little bit to your question.

Wishing you best of luck!
Thanks for the advice! The only thing that's worrying me is my CGPA (nothing I can change about it now) but needed an assurance that I can make up on it with other aspects, like solid work experience and ECA's and ofcourse a good GMAT score.
Work opportunities is a definite factor. I won't mind doing my MBA from a lower-ranked school as long as the job opportunities are good. US and UK are on the bottom of my list, mainly due to the facts you've stated.