MICA Ahmedabad: GE/PI Call Getters' Discussion Forum 2013

Hi MICAspirants! We invite all GE/PI call getters to ask their queries and engage in GE/PI related discussions here. We also invite all GE/PI call getters to join the GE/PI call getters’ Official Discussion Group. https://www.facebook

Hi MICAspirants!

We invite all GE/PI call getters to ask their queries and engage in GE/PI related discussions here.

We also invite all GE/PI call getters to join the GE/PI call getters' Official Discussion Group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/519594054748816/

Regards,
Team Interface,
The Media and PR Wing of MICA

@MICAstudents : Dear Team,

There is a doc uploaded on fb related to all the specializations offered at MICA.Could you please upload it here as well??

Thanks.

@MICAstudents Do we need to write a one page SOP as well, in addition to the SOP form?

what is SOP? please clarify.

@prachishukla SOP- Statement of Purpose.. You need to write why you want to pursue this course and why from this college.
@pulkitsachdeva okay..but problem is i do wanted to pursue this course but i dont know how to give a proper structure to it. i mean do u hv any example so that i can easily formulate my thoughts into answrs
@prachishukla Write your heart out.. why do you want a pre-defined structure for your thoughts...
@MICAstudents @pulkitsachdeva

hi.... My doubt is regarding the following,

1) GE :- I heard that the GE at MICA is all about creativity and individuality... Can u shed some light on it??
2) SOP:- A small guidance on to how to express a good SOP

3) Attire and Articles:- Other than the mentioned documents , what else are we supposed to carry with us? and what is the preferred dress code??
@pulkitsachdeva yar panga is i had intrst in this sector frm alwys but i seriusly dnt knw wat to say wen smone asks y this sector or why mica..

mera bhi same case h always had interst bt donno how to express

Guys,Everyone with GEPI on 6th April, join http://www.facebook.com/groups/508145512578306/!!

@MICAstudents Is there a possibility of GE/PI dates being rescheduled... I have it on 2nd of April.

We are proud to announce that the 18th batch of our flagship Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Communications) course graduates today.
Mr. Nitin Paranjpe, CEO & MD, Hindustan Unilever Ltd and Executive Vice President, South Asia, Unilever will be the Chief Guest for the evening.
You can watch it live at http://www.mica.convocation.in/
Tune in at 6 PM today!

Team Interface,
@pulkitsachdeva said:
@MICAstudents Do we need to write a one page SOP as well, in addition to the SOP form?
@pulkitsachdeva,
The SOP will be in the SOP form itself.

Regards,
Team Interface,
@prachishukla said:
what is SOP? please clarify.
@riazmech said:
@MICAstudents@pulkitsachdeva hi.... My doubt is regarding the following,1) GE :- I heard that the GE at MICA is all about creativity and individuality... Can u shed some light on it??2) SOP:- A small guidance on to how to express a good SOP3) Attire and Articles:- Other than the mentioned documents , what else are we supposed to carry with us? and what is the preferred dress code??
For SOP and other details regarding the GE/PI will be shared with you guys soon! Keep watching this space for more :)

All the best!
team Interface,
@KHANMAAZ said:
@MICAstudents Is there a possibility of GE/PI dates being rescheduled... I have it on 2nd of April.
@KHANMAAZ
For all rescheduling queries please call the admissions office - you can mail them at [email protected] and/or on the admissions helpline number: +91-2717-308313 (it has an answering machine connected for calls received beyond office hours).
Regards,
Team Interface,

Dear Team Interface, @MICAstudents,
1.Which is the most popular specialization out of 5 which is offered at MICA? Please rank them.
2. What is the percentage distribution(in terms of number of students) for each specialization in the current batch?

Please reply. Thanks in advance

@MICAstudents - Sir/Madam,
What's the number of aspirants selected for GE-PI?
Hi MICAspirants,

Team Interface is happy to share with you some tips to help you in the final hurdle.
Hope to see you become a part of the MICAn story!

All the best!
Team Interface,

The GE/PI process:
The candidates who qualify the written exam stage (MICAT) - Stage I, are invited to participate in the second and final stage of the MICA selection process – the GE/PI stage.

The SOP form:
• Candidates who qualify the MICAT are sent an SOP form (Statement of Purpose) which is required to be filled by them and brought along for the GE/PI.

• The SOP form contains questions where details regarding the academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular achievements of the candidate need to be filled. This includes academic and CAT/XAT/GMAT scores. While filling the achievements, candidates should mention only those achievements which can be backed by certificates since they will be required for verification at the time of admission.

• Along with the above, the form also contains an essay-type question – The Statement of Purpose- essentially where the candidates need to frame their answers keeping in mind the following questions – why MICA, why PGDM (C), and how is it relevant in terms of their aspirations and ambitions.

• The form also contains a question on likes and dislikes – where candidates can mention their genuine interests and dislikes.

The Group Exercise (GE):

• For the GE, Candidates called on that day will be divided into groups to participate in the Group Exercise.

• The size of the groups can vary depending on the total number of candidates scheduled for GE/PI on that day. Typically, there can be 6-10 candidates in a group.

• In the GE, the group will be given a topic/task and will be asked to implement/execute the task in a stipulated time, ending with 5-10 minutes for presentation of what has been done.

• Typically, 20-25 minutes are allotted for execution of the task and 5-10 minutes for presentation.

• The topics/tasks are usually interesting like – design an amusement park for a 10 year old in 2050 etc.

• Also, all the material required will be provided to the candidates (chart paper, sketch pens etc.)

• 2-3 panellists will observe the candidates as they go about executing their group task.

• Candidates are evaluated on various parameters including – communication skills, leadership skills, taking ownership for the task, team building – team work skills, punctuality etc.

• At the end of the exercise, the candidates will present their work as a team.

The Personal Interview (PI):

• Candidates will be allocated to different interview panels for their PI and will be called in that order for the same.

• Typically, three panellists will be there and will have a copy of the above mentioned SOP form.

• The duration of the interview is not fixed and may last as long as the panelists want.

• Questions asked in the interview depend on the candidate and will vary from candidate to candidate. Typically questions related to the SOP form are asked – why MICA, why PGDM-C, academic background etc.

• The interview is basically to get to know the candidate better and to see if s/he is a good fit for MICA.

The Lists:

• Once the process is complete, two lists are shared will the candidates then itself:

Spot Offers List (SO): This list contains the names of the candidates who've earned a chance to get a spot admission to the college – yes, the final admission!

Merit list–cum-waitlist (MCW): This list contains the names of those candidates who have done well enough. The MCWs of all the days are collated and at the end of the process after all the spot offered seats are subtracted from the total intake, the top rankers of this list are given admission to the remaining seats and some/all others in the list are given waitlist numbers (which move up if and as any of the above withdraws his/her candidature).

Tips/ Suggestions:
• The whole process is likely to last up to 7 – 7.30 PM.
• The GE process is not an elimination process. All candidates will be required to give the GE and PI both.
• For GE/PI experiences in the past batches, following threads on Pagalguy are a treasure trove –
2010: http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/cat-and-related-bschools/2010-mica-ge-slash-pi-experi-t-52505/p-2015567
2011: http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/xat-snap-iift-and-others/2011-mica-ge-slash-pi-experiences-t-64789/p-2638102
2012: http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/cat-and-related-bschools/2010-mica-ge-slash-pi-experi-t-52505/p-2015567
• It is wise to fill the SOP after properly evaluating and reflecting on oneself, it will come in handy during the PI.
• Get a book or anything to keep yourself busy, the process lasts the whole day and you may end up being idle for quite a while.

PS: The candidates and all those who accompany them (parents, brothers, sisters etc.) will be provided lunch at the mess.
For any doubts or queries feel free to ask away!