Melbourne Business School Current Students taking questions

Hi Puys I am starting this thread to help prospective students learn more about Melbourne Business School. I will be joining MBS in Jan 2012. Will try to answer questions myself as well as get answers from students at MBS.

Hi Puys
I am starting this thread to help prospective students learn more about Melbourne Business School.
I will be joining MBS in Jan 2012.
Will try to answer questions myself as well as get answers from students at MBS.

hi nikhil.

nice initiative. :)

please post your own profile briefly so that the prospective students can understand whom they are asking their queries.

thanks.

HI Nikhil,

Appreciate your efforts.

Could you please elaborate on your profile, what kind of questions did you encounter in the interview, etc.

Also, I heard that post MBA in Australia, its difficult to find a job. What are your views on this

Cheers
Akshat

HI Nikhil,

Appreciate your efforts.

Could you please elaborate on your profile, what kind of questions did you encounter in the interview, etc.

Also, I heard that post MBA in Australia, its difficult to find a job. What are your views on this

Cheers
Akshat

Hi akshatsaxena,
I am a Civil Engineer working one of the biggest infrastructure companies of India in engineering/ project management role.
I did not have an interview.
The interview is at the discretion of the school.
From the facilities that the school provides and other information that I have come across, I personally feel that finding a job in Australia post-MBA is not difficult if one is flexible enough.
For more details on career after MBS MBA you can always look at :
MBS: MBS Career Centre
tc

Thanks Nikhil.

What was your GMAT score.???

HI Nikhil,

Appreciate your efforts.

Cheers
Akshat

Started with my MBA in Sep 2011. Was very circumspect of the job scene. But would like to comment that its not that bad. If you are at the right place at the right time, you will end up with a job. 😃
Thanks Nikhil.

What was your GMAT score.???

don't worry too much about GMAT if applying to MBS. It ranges from 650 to 700+. The higher the better, but make sure your essays tell a good story...

Hi nikhil
I am a ISB student and am planning to go to MBS for a short exchange from Feb-May 2012. I have some querries.Can you share your mail ID so that I can get in touch with you.

Hi Nikhil,

It is nice to find you answering our GMAT & admission queries. In particular, I would also like to seek this opportunity of clarifying my queries.

I'm 33yr/male/govt hr

I appeared for GMAT this year in Jan and got a 610 (v-26; q-46 & awa-6) in my first attempt 😞 , although my preparation was to reach 700+ but somehow things didn't go very well on the day.
My 10th and 12th school grades were 74% & 70% (90% in math) but got GPA of 2.8/4 in graduation 😞 .

I have around 12+years of exp in general admin (middle/top mgmt) in govt services & high community service. I also have 2 Masters (I class) and now seek to change my career and pursue International Business Ops & Strategy Management basically to take care of family business later.

I would like to ask you if I should go ahead with appearing for GMAT again or could apply to MBS. What are my chances for a better transition to MBS & a new career. I'll be applying for fall 12', or re-writing the GMAT.

Thanks

hello prolificsoul,
from my personal point of view you should not have any problem in getting through MBS after reading about your work and Masters. GMAT maybe low but you have 12 years of work experience will only enrich the class. I would suggest getting in touch with the admissions team at MBS to discuss your case, as they will be able to assess your situation more pragmatically.
Also, the admissions process is on a rolling basis i.e. you can apply TODAY for Sep 2012 intake, you don't have to and should not wait for the deadline.
Kindly let me know if I can be of any further help.
Cheers
Hi nikhil
I am a ISB student and am planning to go to MBS for a short exchange from Feb-May 2012. I have some querries.Can you share your mail ID so that I can get in touch with you.

hey PS777
good to see your interest in doing exchange at MBS. I have pm'ed you my email
hunt0507 Says
don't worry too much about GMAT if applying to MBS. It ranges from 650 to 700+. The higher the better, but make sure your essays tell a good story...

hey hunt0507
thanks for pitching in. hope to see u in Jan. please ask others if they can also help prospective students.

HI All
My Profile goes like this:
Done my Engg from Bits-Pilani(CGPA:7.57/10)
Working with Oracle for the past 2 years
I have my GMAT next month.

Now my question is with this profile , how good are my success chances to get a MBS Admission.What would be an optimum GMAT score for me to get the MBS admit .

Regards
Praneeth

HI All
My Profile goes like this:
Done my Engg from Bits-Pilani(CGPA:7.57/10)
Working with Oracle for the past 2 years
I have my GMAT next month.

Now my question is with this profile , how good are my success chances to get a MBS Admission.What would be an optimum GMAT score for me to get the MBS admit .

Regards
Praneeth

hey parneeth,
good to see you here.
nice profile.
I would encourage you to apply, I would have if I were you.
Here's the link to selection criteria, if you feel you fit in, apply.
Keep in mind the rolling admissions process.
For GMAT, it might sound cliche', but there is no bar, check the stats on school's website and stick to that. All the very best for the exam.
I must insist, it is a very diverse and experienced cohort at MBS. All the best for your application.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Cheers
Hi Nikhil,

It is nice to find you answering our GMAT & admission queries. In particular, I would also like to seek this opportunity of clarifying my queries.

I'm 33yr/male/govt hr

I appeared for GMAT this year in Jan and got a 610 (v-26; q-46 & awa-6) in my first attempt 😞 , although my preparation was to reach 700+ but somehow things didn't go very well on the day.
My 10th and 12th school grades were 74% & 70% (90% in math) but got GPA of 2.8/4 in graduation 😞 .

I have around 12+years of exp in general admin (middle/top mgmt) in govt services & high community service. I also have 2 Masters (I class) and now seek to change my career and pursue International Business Ops & Strategy Management basically to take care of family business later.

I would like to ask you if I should go ahead with appearing for GMAT again or could apply to MBS. What are my chances for a better transition to MBS & a new career. I'll be applying for fall 12', or re-writing the GMAT.

Thanks

hi prolificsoul,
I contacted the school and they said you can drop-in your query at [email protected] and they will take it from there.
Cheers

hi puys!
good news for those concerned about working in Australia, post-MBA.
Anyone filing for a student visa post-Nov 2011, will be eligible for 2 years work permit after graduation.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/_pdf/2011-university-sector-post-study-work-visa.pdf

further for clarification, see,
Australia woos international students with new visa regime - Times Of India

Hi,

Wanted to check with you about realistic scholarship options that are available for Indian students getting admitted to MBS.

Could you give me some details?

Regards
Sandeep

Hi,

Wanted to check with you about realistic scholarship options that are available for Indian students getting admitted to MBS.

Could you give me some details?

Regards
Sandeep

Hi Sandeep,
As per my current knowledge, 10-15 students (out of 45-50) get some scholarship. It ranges from 25% to 100% of tuition fee. And you can appreciate that the award depends on the candidate's profile vis-a-vis profile of others in the class.
Quiet a few of the Indian students who joined in Aug 2011 have received a scholarship. (I am sure of atleast 5).
I would say the school is the most generous amongst B-schools as far as scholarships are concerned.
Cheers

Hey Nikhil,

Great initiative buddy... I'm very much interested in applying to MBS but I guess admissions are offered on the rolling basis. I'm kinda stuck with R1 deadlines which end in Oct. Will it be okay if I apply to MBS by 15th November for the Sep '12 class.. or should I defer it to next year.. what do you reckon?