McGill University - Desautels Faculty of Management 2010 Admits

Hi, Calling all admits and applicants to Fall 2010 term to Desuatels Faculty of Management. I am admitted student to Fall 2010 term… CHEERS ::

Hi,

Calling all admits and applicants to Fall 2010 term to Desuatels Faculty of Management. I am admitted student to Fall 2010 term...

CHEERS

Hi,

Calling all admits and applicants to Fall 2010 term to Desuatels Faculty of Management. I am admitted student to Fall 2010 term...

CHEERS

Hi Bhanu...I too have applied to Mcgill .I got a call from JMSB ...but still waiting for McGill

Please let me know if I have a chance to get a call from McGill
Below is my profile

GMAT -560
IELTS - Band7
Workexp - 3yrs(2 in citi ,1 in Wipo)
extra curr : descent
Acads : average

Hi ....

I feel your low GMAT score might create some problem.... what i feel is that a high GMAT is required to a get a call from McGill.... However, other factors like quality of work-ex and essays + interview(when they call you) are other important factors ....

I hope this answers your question....

Hi ....

I feel your low GMAT score might create some problem.... what i feel is that a high GMAT is required to a get a call from McGill.... However, other factors like quality of work-ex and essays + interview(when they call you) are other important factors ....

I hope this answers your question....

Thanks Bhanu....what do you think about JMSB? How good the school is? ...I have only got 1 admit until now from JMSB.....should I accept it..please let me know.

what do you think about JMSB? How good the school is? ...I have only got 1 admit until now from JMSB.....should I accept it..please let me know.

JMSB is definitely a decent program.... Its for sure among top 10 in Canada with the advantage of being located at Montreal. As I said, Its definitely good in Canada, but as far as international visibility is concerned, I feel JMSB still does not have a global repute in sync with its IN-CANADA repute.

I think the question whether you should accept it or not depends on you. Ask yourself few questions :-

1. Do you wish to wait for one more year and then re-apply next year with/without a GMAT retake.

2. How much weight does the money factor comes into picture i.e. say you get into an Ivey league next year .. Do you wish to shell out 40 Lakhs or so.

3. What are your career aspirations and can JMSB MBA lead you to those goals.

etc... etc ...

Its always a personal choice, there is no generic answer to such questions, but an excellent self evaluation would help to take the best decision...

I hope this helps...You can also talk to other people admitted to JMSB + Alumni and Graduate students ...It will definitely help you ...

what do you think about JMSB? How good the school is? ...I have only got 1 admit until now from JMSB.....should I accept it..please let me know.

JMSB is definitely a decent program.... Its for sure among top 10 in Canada with the advantage of being located at Montreal. As I said, Its definitely good in Canada, but as far as international visibility is concerned, I feel JMSB still does not have a global repute in sync with its IN-CANADA repute.

I think the question whether you should accept it or not depends on you. Ask yourself few questions :-

1. Do you wish to wait for one more year and then re-apply next year with/without a GMAT retake.

2. How much weight does the money factor comes into picture i.e. say you get into an Ivey league next year .. Do you wish to shell out 40 Lakhs or so.

3. What are your career aspirations and can JMSB MBA lead you to those goals.

etc... etc ...

Its always a personal choice, there is no generic answer to such questions, but an excellent self evaluation would help to take the best decision...

I hope this helps...You can also talk to other people admitted to JMSB + Alumni and Graduate students ...It will definitely help you ...

Wow ...that really helps...thank you so much

For your first ques .....No....I don't want to wait at all as my profile as a whole is not atall great to get into Ivey league.....

For the second question .....YEs ...fees of JMSB sits perfectly in my pocket and its one of the cheapest schools in the world.

For the third question ....I want to excel my career in Finance.and to become a investment analyst or a portfolio manager or anything that suites my profile in Finance...

Hence ..the positive side is ...I can still make my career aspirations by joining JMSB....the negative side is that the picture is still not clear about the placements and the jobs scenario in Montreal ...especially jobs in Finance.

Can you please let me know how good is Montreal for international students ....I mean to get jobs .....I am ready to learn French ....but still knowing french completely is not a piece of cake at all ...it will definitely take few years ..may be 4 or 5 ..don't know.

But with English as my language and MBA at JMSB ..and being an international student ...does montreal provide jobs for guys like me......please let me know your thoughts on that.

As far as the students that I have asked who are already studying there seems to be feeling positive about job market ...but still the picture is unclear for me ...

Also, its a big investment for couple of years ...so need to act wisely before taking decision ....

please help ...thanx

One thing I can tell you for sure is that JMSB is really good for finance ( see Goodman Institute).....

As far as job scenario is concerned, yes, there are ample job opportunities in finance industry of Montreal ... learning French will give you an edge, not knowing French won't harm you much.

When JM suits your pocket and career aspirations, I feel you should go for it instead of wasting one year ....

Last but not the least, getting a job after an MBA is not solely a function of your program's reputation ( Yes, It is in equation ), but an individual's effort and dedication are major factors. A branded MBA program gives you a tag and skills ... a good MBA gives you just skills......

Also, When you make a career transition i.e. from non-finance to finance... you are bound to face some initial hurdles no matter from where you pursue your MBA. I have personally found JMSB having good industry repute in Quebec ( A french province ).

+++ We can always chat / meet as I would be there too in Montreal because I have decided to join McGill - Desautels MBA program ....

One thing I can tell you for sure is that JMSB is really good for finance ( see Goodman Institute).....

As far as job scenario is concerned, yes, there are ample job opportunities in finance industry of Montreal ... learning French will give you an edge, not knowing French won't harm you much.

When JM suits your pocket and career aspirations, I feel you should go for it instead of wasting one year ....

Last but not the least, getting a job after an MBA is not solely a function of your program's reputation ( Yes, It is in equation ), but an individual's effort and dedication are major factors. A branded MBA program gives you a tag and skills ... a good MBA gives you just skills......

Also, When you make a career transition i.e. from non-finance to finance... you are bound to face some initial hurdles no matter from where you pursue your MBA. I have personally found JMSB having good industry repute in Quebec ( A french province ).

+++ We can always chat / meet as I would be there too in Montreal because I have decided to join McGill - Desautels MBA program ..

WOW ....thank you sir !!! ....mind tutoring me 😃 :)

Surely ...I would be privileged if I get a friend like you ....and yes I heard both the Univ McGill and Concordia ...are side by side ..almost a walking dist of 5 min from each other ....so we can always meet ..infact we can share apartment also :)

I am always there on orkut, facebook ,twitter and gtalk

Name : hrishikesh.....I am from India (mumbai)
Gtalk : [email protected]

email : [email protected]
[email protected]

Please add me to Gtalk ...and then will add you to orkut and facebook as well

thanks for the amazing help man...! and because of you ..I have made my mind firmly that I will be joining JMSB .....infact will start the CAQ and VISA process from tomorrow....thanks

So see you on Gtalk.

It will be a pleasure talking to you buddy .... Added you on Gtalk :cheers:

Hi,
I too received acceptance from MCgill with CAD 10000$ entrance award yesterday. As per post MBA conditions specially in Montreal, I am bit skeptical becoz french speaking factor. Do you have more visiblity about jobs prospects after MBA as career service shows out of 80 (64 responded & 54 received job offer including 6 months graduating period).

regards
Askaran

@ Askaran

Congrats on the admit.... In my opinion, Speaking / Not speaking French would not be show-stopper. One who speaks French can jell very well with the locals and would be at little advantage in terms of job opportunities. Also, there is no compulsion to work in Quebec, one can find a job in Toronto or rest of Canada.

As far as data that you have got is concerned, I am not very sure about it because 2009 BusinessWeek and FT rankings show 94 % placed and a response rate of 77 %. Please share the source of data and the year for which you are quoting this.

What I know is that McGill MBA does have a strong brand value and international repute...... + A very strong a positive feedback of Alumni and current students....

Regards,
bhanu P

Thanks for reply. My concern is I received acceptance from Schulich as well, so comparing two schools on several criterion is probolem. What i came to know about placement tendency of such schools that they have tie up with industry for ex. Schulich of Ivey or Rotman have industry tie up along G T area, while for Mcgill mostly in Quebec. For ex. If Delloite comes for recuritment as business analyst, their one of several criteria is fluency in French on same basis most of tie ups of mcgill would be industry in quebec, with basic would be french fluent. In that case, I believe, applicant like me would be on backside eventhough if I have good marks etc.... Now if somebody donot restrict himself to Quebec and moves to ROcanada, I feel mcgill would be little useful. One has to use his/her n/w etc...to find a good job. I feel guessing from here do not give clearer picture. As you mentioned some current student or alumni has recommended MCgill, if possible can u contact with them and clarify such things. On tution fees basis minus scholarship still MCGill is expensive than Schulich. Honeslty I am inclined to Mcgill but prior taking any decision I am hoping to clear all doubts.

regards
Askaran

It is pleasure to answer your questions.

I do not think that there should be a dilemma at all between Schulich and McGill because McGill >>>>> Schulich in terms of reputation, quality of program, quality of classmates and international recognition. Although these are my personal views about Schulich, I really find that there is an absolute sacrifice of quality to maintain the quantity when it comes to Schulich i.e. a yearly intake of 500 that too without interviews is appalling. In contrast, McGill has an intake of just 100 and also has highest average GMAT in Canada. These are just indicators but one can surely analyze the quality of peer learning by the crowd getting in a School.

Having said that, I would also like to tell you that it is important to understand that finding a job complex activity with many variables. I agree quite a few jobs in Quebec require at least working knowledge of French, but there are jobs openings involving English too. In my discussions with McGill alumni, I found that many of them are working not only outside Quebec but also outside Canada i.e. US, Europe and Asia. McGill does carry weight in ROW too, so you would be having many opportunities to work in Quebec by learning some French or find job in ROCanada/US.

I think that Schulich tution expenses would be around 60 k C$ and McGill after the scholarship you got would be around 50 k C$. Also, count the high living expenses in Toronto, almost twice of Montreal I guess. Hence, one can easily make out which option is giving better ROI.

Should there be any further questions/ things we can discuss, please shoot a mail on [email protected] .

:cheers:
Cheers
Bhanu P

Hi Bhanu,

Can you please share your profile .

I am a sw eng wit 3.5 yrs of exp
decents acads and ec
What is the min req GMAT score for my profile to get into MCGILL

Thanks in advance:

Hi SHAM,

I have 3 years of work experience in Telecom Industry ( System integration and IT Consulting ).
Bachelor of Engineering ( Electronics and Communication )
GMAT Score: 700
TOEFL Score: 104
EC: Strong : 2 years NGO work experience + Various leadership roles during education and work
Acads: Decent

I do not know your profile as it is both quantity and quality of work experience that are taken into account in the admission process. The Industry you are working in and your role/responsibilities are very important parameters. Also, Interview and Essays do carry a huge weight if you take my opinion.

To give you an objective view:

McGill MBA has 5 years of average work experience and an average GMAT score of 670.
But, I still feel that getting an admit is always driven by subjective aspects of your application while objective aspects do help you to differ yourself from other candidates.

I trust this clarifies matters for you.

Regards,
BHANU P

Hi bhanup,
I am just wondering if could share more insight about mcgill. I am still evaluating between Schulich & mcgill. Have received mixed feedback about both programs. Also do u get any inside employment report. I was trying to recieve any alumni contact but could'nt find.
Also have u applied for CAQ and medical test?

regards
Askaran

Hi,

I would like to hear the feedback... i.e. what is confusing you in between these two programs.... I think there should not be any... until and unless you are heavily driven by FT rankings.... also as I said earlier compare the quality of 500 graduates per year that Schulich throws in market and 70 odd well chosen graduates McGill throws. McGill is among top 20 universities for last 5 years or so... it carries weight wherever you go in the world....

There is nothing like insider reports .... i have heard that it is quite easy to get an internship from McGill.... also full-time jobs are not that difficult to get ....

Best thing that could help you is .... talk to 5 or 6 current students of Schulich and McGill ...you would yourself feel the quality gap....

yeah buddy...i am thru with both of them..... lastly but importantly, be quick u dunn have more than a month i guess ........

Wish you luck with everything...cheers....

Hi Puys

I have scored 650 on GMAT.With a profile of an IT consultant in financial domain(exp 4+ years by the time program starts).

Should I be hopeful of getting an admit to McGill,John Molson,HEC Monteal or any other good college in Quebec(I don't know French:(( though)?Is one year course available(accelerated mode) at Mcgill like other 2?

Does a 16 month course at JMBS or anywhere means 1.3 years or its a 2 year course?

To subscribe