MBE-DU 2010-12 Queries Helpdesk

Confused over the choosing the regular MBA program or MBE? MBA is not the only passport for the desired career in the corporate sector. The MBE programme at DU aims at blending the theoretical and practical elements of business. The Masters o…

Confused over the choosing the regular MBA program or MBE?
MBA is not the only passport for the desired career in the corporate sector. The MBE programme at DU aims at blending the theoretical and practical elements of business.
The Masters of Business Economics or MBE programme at the Department of Business Economics, Delhi University (DU) is on a par with an MBA from a top B-school in the country. It is one of its kind run by any university in the country.

The MBE programme is an amalgamation of management, business and econometric techniques, which is quite different from the MBA programmes offered by B-schools in the country. Moreover, the MBE programme is an integrated approach to managerial studies. It provides a perfect blend of analytical, theoretical and practical aspects aimed at introducing students to the real-world mechanism.

This thread is here to serve as medium to guide you with doubts related to admission ,entrant test, course structure and anything related to the programe.

For more details-Visit this website Department Of Business Economics
or the blog Master of Business Economics..MBE@UDSC
Hi Shruti,

Thanks for starting a long awaited thread.

Please tell us more about

a) Entrance written test pattern.
b) GD / PI / Essay round details.
c) Weightage to different components in selection procedure (written test
+ GD/PI + Acads)
d) Number of seats
e) Infrastructure
f) North Campus / South Campus (nearby famous locations)
g) How is MBE different from MBA
f) Fee structure
g) Faculty
h) How placements justify course structure. Let me rephrase it
(i.e. how the profile offered are different from what offered at usual B- Schools placements)
i) Placement figures 2009 / 2008
j) How MBE is different from MIB & MHROD

And please don't forget to mention pros and cons honestly.

a) Entrance written test pattern.
This is two hours test comprising of 180 questions in

1. MathematicalComprehension(basic arithemtic,algebra,calculus,basic statistics and data analysis
  2. logical reasoning
  3. awareness of indian economy and business
  4. english

b) GD / PI / Essay round details.
Those who are shorlisted after the exam are called in for GD and PI.A post would be sent to those candidates.
There is no essay round but this time there was personality test round where we were suppossed to speak about ourselves.

c) Weightage to different components in selection procedure (written test
+ GD/PI + Acads)
Thats not disclosed to anyone.Don't worry on things you can't change.Concentrate on preps and you would be through :)

d) Number of seats
There are 72 seats in all including the reservations as of now.
e) Infrastructure
Refer to the website for that.
f) North Campus / South Campus (nearby famous locations)
This is in South Campus.Nearby famous locations for what purpose?
g) How is MBE different from MBA
See it would be completely unfair to draw comparisons .Both have their own importance.Your choice depends on what you exactly want to do.MBE is more of economics.
f) Fee structure
Tuition fees for first year-Rs11361 and for the second year-Rs10736.Fee Structure is subject to change.
h) How placements justify course structure. Let me rephrase it
i) Placement figures 2009 / 2008
For placement doubts,just give us some time.The website team is working on updating the details.Kindly bear with that for a while.
See all three are different courses,I would rather say you go through the rules of PG.Comparison is not allowed here..
Hope that helps :)Revert back if you have other doubts :)
Dear Shruti,

Thanks for giving us zoom view, but it would be wonderful on your part if you could please guide us a bit informally being a fellow puy, rather sounding politically correct.
After all this is a platform for us to know MBE better and you to spread awareness (which MBE lacks), otherwise if you are here to write whats there on you college website, then whats the purpose of this thread??? Else we can know it from MBE website as well. (Please take it in correct spirit)

See it would be completely unfair to draw comparisons .Both have their own importance.Your choice depends on what you exactly want to do.MBE is more of economics.

Please help us make informed choice, since most of us are engineers and we know very less of economics and its implications to ones career.

For placement doubts,just give us some time.The website team is working on updating the details.Kindly bear with that for a while.

Please give us a rough idea at least (if not now then do it when you are allowed to), we want a clearer picture from you, since we trust you more than your website.

See all three are different courses,I would rather say you go through the rules of PG.Comparison is not allowed here..

I am extremely well aware of PG rules that too since long time, thats why I am asking you for the difference rather comparison (there is a thin line you could have smartly done that), but if you are not comfortable then its fine. NO MORE QUESTION ON THIS.

And finally, your audience has a bigger base than you can think of and not everyone wants to take pain of going to MBE websites nuke and corner, those who do want something different from sugarcoated words there in website.

Hope to listen more from you.

Thanks.

When will notification come??

and tell me exam city is only delhi or more

How it is diff then MFC

---------

dear you can not compare an apple with an orange .... MBE is different and mfc is different .... just like iim, fms and xat are best for mba in india in similar manner MBE from delhi university (mbe, south campus , delhi university) is best in its catogery and i think i can say same for mfc for its category....
the best advantage is its fee(all du courses for ....example mbe) ... 11336/- for first year .... so there are people from not very rich family are in mbe leaving top mba schools of india .... just because of its fee structure .... placement wise mbe performed well in 2008-09 you will get official data very soon(no dead line ) ....

Please help us make informed choice, since most of us are engineers and we know very less of economics and its implications to ones career.

First of all apologies for late reply,life is so busy you see but at the same time interesting:)

If i give you a rough idea about my batch,you would surprised to see that in tmy batch,majority is from non commerce.Its a good mixture of students from various backgrounds.

To compare the two courses-MBA and MBE,I had to dig out the Google for you and other aspirants
Jobs & Careers: Special supplement of The Tribune, Chandigarh, India. Career Hotline
hope this helps :)

Please give us a rough idea at least (if not now then do it when you are allowed to), we want a clearer picture from you, since we trust you more than your website.

The placement team is updating the website and would get back to your queries soon :)

hope this helps 😃 for more doubts,get back here.
When will notification come??

and tell me exam city is only delhi or more

The notification usually comes during Oct-nov.Don't worry about that.You would be notified about it here itself :)
As about the centers,last time apart from Delhi ,there were 5 more centre-Bhopal,Chandigarh,Jaipur,Kolkatta,Lucknow.If there is some change in it,it would be mentioned in the brochure.

dear you can not compare an apple with an orange .... MBE is different and mfc is different .... just like iim, fms and xat are best for mba in india in similar manner MBE from delhi university (mbe, south campus , delhi university) is best in its catogery and i think i can say same for mfc for its category....
the best advantage is its fee(all du courses for ....example mbe) ... 11336/- for first year .... so there are people from not very rich family are in mbe leaving top mba schools of india .... just because of its fee structure .... placement wise mbe performed well in 2008-09 you will get official data very soon(no dead line ) ....

Good Job Ritesh 😃 be here for the aspirants of MBE or the prospective aspirants

Check this thread to more about life at MBE but put your queries about it here only:)
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/life-at-master-of-business-economicsmbe-delhi-university-25042503

I want more detail about admission process in MBE

I have mentioned about the pattern of the entrance test in my earlier posts.After the entrance exam,students who have qualified the exam are called GD and PI.And this list comes out within a week or two after the exam.Hope this helps 😃

in DU u r saying there r only 72 seats... r there any other good universities that provide this course

snipped...

shivani2907 Says
in DU u r saying there r only 72 seats... r there any other good universities that provide this course

Well you tell me if you are interested in studying Business Economics,then MBE is the best option.Reasons-

1. Course is tailored on the similar patterns of the program at Harvard Business School
  2. excellent faculty-mostly all have done PhDs
  3. recognition from Delhi University
  4. student community is very talented and comes from various backgrounds
  5. apart from the academic front,we all participate in seminars,business plan competitions and other social events
  6. one of the unique course which offers Econometrics

I know there are only 72 seats but if you are really willing to pursue this then pull up your socks to crack the exam.

..hi seniors..am quite interestd for the mbe course..but the main thing is dat..i hav meagre acdemics like my grads are in 50s...
so well am scared that ,,if also i do well in written ..will i stand a chance with this score?
plz help me out...seniors..shud i go4 da exam???

See the minimum requirement is that you should have atleast 50% aggregate in graduation.The weightage distribution is unknown to us,so better prepare well for the entrance exam to fetch the GD-PI call.Yeah,you might have to justify why low scores in graduation if the interview panel asks you to do so.

Hope this helps.Revert back if you still have some doubts.
sweetgalshruti Says
I have mentioned about the pattern of the entrance test in my earlier posts.After the entrance exam,students who have qualified the exam are called GD and PI.And this list comes out within a week or two after the exam.Hope this helps :)

Hiiiii Shuruti
Thanks for sharing this vital piece of information...I didnt had any clue regarding this exam...bt now I feel its worth giving a shot....
A had a couple of queries regarding the same.....
Wt is the level of GK asked in MIB exam...is it comparable to IIFT or is it more of a higher side....??
I also came across MIB course for DSE in tday's TOI (4aug)
Someone told me that only one exam is conducted for the admission in all these courses...(i.e MIB,MBE,MHROD etc) plz throw some light on this...
Plz share ur thoughts on MIB as well....giving us a fair idea bt the same...and also the question paper pattern for MIB (DSE)....
Thanx in anticipation......::
Hiiiii Shuruti
Thanks for sharing this vital piece of information...I didnt had any clue regarding this exam...bt now I feel its worth giving a shot....
A had a couple of queries regarding the same.....
Wt is the level of GK asked in MIB exam...is it comparable to IIFT or is it more of a higher side....??
I also came across MIB course for DSC in tday's TOI (4aug)
Someone told me that only one exam is conducted for the admission in all these courses...(i.e MIB,MBE,MHROD etc) plz throw some light on this...
Plz share ur thoughts on MIB as well....giving us a fair idea bt the same...and also the question paper pattern for MIB (DSC)....
Thanx in anticipation......::

See about MIB I can't comment due to my ignorance.I wrote that exam as well.I had call for MIB and MHROD both ..I converted MHROD call but chosed to join MBE.Difficulty level of that paper is easy to medium.Easier than IIFT paper though.

And there is common paper for MIB and MHROD.MBE conducts its own entrance exam about which I have mentioned in my previous posts.Direct your MIB queries on the concerned thread.

Hope this helps 😃
See about MIB I can't comment due to my ignorance.I wrote that exam as well.I had call for MIB and MHROD both ..I converted MHROD call but chosed to join MBE.Difficulty level of that paper is easy to medium.Easier than IIFT paper though.

And there is common paper for MIB and MHROD.MBE conducts its own entrance exam about which I have mentioned in my previous posts.Direct your MIB queries on the concerned thread.

Hope this helps :)

So as mentioned by u ...the level is quite doable and since one is preparing for IIFT and other management exams...keepin track of GK is must
so I guess theres no spcl preparation required for cracking MBE?
and one more question...dont kno whether u'll like it or not...is the MIB entrance exam comprise of a GK section as well??..I want to save myself frm flipping the pages of other forums....lolz
and like DSE conducts MIB and MHROD entrance together....
Dept of bsnss economics conducts only MBE or are there any other courses structured in the same exam...I mean do dept of bsnss eco offer any other degree apart frm MBE??
So as mentioned by u ...the level is quite doable and since one is preparing for IIFT and other management exams...keepin track of GK is must
so I guess theres no spcl preparation required for cracking MBE?
and one more question...dont kno whether u'll like it or not...is the MIB entrance exam comprise of a GK section as well??..I want to save myself frm flipping the pages of other forums....lolz
and like DSE conducts MIB and MHROD entrance together....
Dept of bsnss economics conducts only MBE or are there any other courses structured in the same exam...I mean do dept of bsnss eco offer any other degree apart frm MBE??

Well it would be better if you ask only MBE queries here.For MBE,prepare for some basic statistics concepts and calculus questions.No as such special preparation is required for it.

Apart from MBE,Department offer BBE,M.Phil and Ph.D.

And for your MIB queries-please ask on this here.

Hi shruti, can you please tell me from do i get some previous years papers/samples??