MBA - start to finish in 2 months flat!

A brief story about my shot at the GMAT and how I got an admit in the college of my choice! Was busy with work, suddenly got more responsibilities and added pressure just when I was about to start preparing for my GMAT. But November 15th was …

A brief story about my shot at the GMAT and how I got an admit in the college of my choice!

Was busy with work, suddenly got more responsibilities and added pressure just when I was about to start preparing for my GMAT. But November 15th was the deadline for some colleges, so I had to take my gmat before that.

September 07:
Started my prep in September, and began short listing schools in parallel. But I had a very clear view of what I wanted from my MBA and I had to see where I could get the best one with the minimal fuss.
Having worked in Switzerland for almost a year.. my focus was on an European MBA. I never had that much interest in the US anyway, mba or otherwise. And to go about selecting a school for myself, I thought of what all I want from an mba.
1.We can't ignore this, how much ever we try to gloss it over; it still is one of the most important factors - the PAY you get after the course and Placement opportunities.
2.Cost of the course
3.Course specialization
4.Avg gmat and toefl and gpa etc - academics and work ex
5.diversity, strength, duration of the course

Taking these into consideration, after some help of 2 IIM profs (my mom n dad 😉 ) in short listing the schools, India was never a consideration for me. Even in those colleges here that take GMAT - the avg salary is around USD20k. The World's Least, not to mention the very famous education system which we have been exposed to for more than 20 years of our life. I decided upon a few colleges in Europe - more specifically Germany and Switzerland. And many interesting colleges had 'interesting deadlines' for Round1 and Scholarships. The deadline in question being Nov 15th!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow! So I went ahead and booked my gmat for nov 14th - the children's day ď Š

My Gmat Prep:
In the meantime, I went and got a Princeton 2008 with dvd - finished the book quickly a week or so and then was going through some softcopies of og stuff when I realized PR is just a waste I regretted buying the book the dvd was a total sham! (even found a way to hack the online tests 😉 ). This book like many ppl already know is just a book for those who want to get out of the 550 rut (if at all there is one), not the one for the 650 and above, fgt 750 with PR!
Was doing some little bits and pieces from here and there.. a couple of practice tests, a cpl of forums. Mukul's 770 post really helped me a lot and motivated me! Thanks Dude! And shoutouts to nairpraveenk for his wonderful thread.
Now the next thing on the list was toefl, so I booked a date on Oct 21st. I was sure that I would not need more than 2 days for the toefl and took it out of my mind for the time being.
Got an OG 11 and solved it thrice (almost) not continuously.
Did some practice tests in between - the online PR CATs, gprep, power prep, paper tests etc. Hit a sudden low on one of those and panicked and freaked out for a cpl of days then chilled out and got back my groove.
Lesson learnt: take the ups with the lows.. DONOT panic!

October:
Change of roles at work + more pressure + less prep time = lot more pressure!!
Toefl:
Got a toefl ibt book - Delta series with 10 cds - seemed the only book with so much bang for the buck and put it in a shelf and fgt abt it till the 19th.

Got a week off before my toefl and was sitting at home preparing hard for my GMAT.. tat was more imp to me than Toefl.
On the 19th started the ibt book and finished about 70% before I got bored and almost chucked it. Don't mistake me, the book is very very good - I would recommend it to anybody. It was just that ibt seemed too easy after the gmat prep. Gave my toefl - ripped it! Had fun for a day or two. It was important for me to take these breaks in between. They really helped me reduce the stress.

Back to the schools:
To elaborate a lil bit more on the 5 points I earlier mentioned.
The mba pay in Europe is good - too good - the avg being EURO 70k !!! do the math!
The placement offers you get are in
UBS, DB, CS,BCG, McKinsey, Moody's, Ferrari-Maserati, BMW, Porsche, Gucci, Lo'real - to name a few. Wide variety, lots of opportunities.
There are a lot of courses which donot have any particular specialization - General Mgmt, Strategy - which was wat I was looking for.
And almost all of the European mbas are a little over a year 14-16 months. You get out fast and have one year more workex and save on your living exp and course fee.
Almost all courses have a very limited class strength 40 - 50 at the max. This results in better bonding and better networking than say around 200-300 ppl in a batch! IMHO

November:
The first school on my list was the IOMBA from Uni of Geneva. I had my eye on this for quite a while now and was very much keen to get into it! But this was the one with the Nov 15th deadline.
So I got busy with the application and my oh my! I had to complete a whopping 7 essays!!!!!!
This was the toughest part in the 2 months - time running, mounting pressure, frustration abt doing your Applcn when you need be busy with GMAT. Dammmmmm!

I went and bought the Kaplan 800 supposedly the book with the toughest Qs
Finished the book in 3 days and gained immense confidence I can never overstress the boost this book gave me! Same with the powerprep tests :P
Seven b-school essays in something like 7-10 days is cruel drain your energy and leave you in a jagged state of nerves.
But I backed myself up and finally it was done finally the whole application was ready by 10th and I was almost dead!

Gave my GMAT on the 14th, nothing great to write about - missed 2 sitters in Quant - both data sufficiency. Got 650!

December:
Was Sitting with crossed fingers after that till I got news about my application being selected for the IOMBA class of 08 a few days back!
Dumped the remaining 2 applications I was doing and relaxing now.
I think the things that got me the admit was my killer reco letters and my essays! i am sure about that.

If i can do it, so can YOU!!! what are you waiting for?

If this post has helped you please visit my blog and click [B][I]here[/I][/B] and give your comments - I will not be visiting PG very frequently now but I ll stick arnd and help out with any queries

neptune000 congrats on your score .

i am also trying for gmat , & ihave some doubts regarding it .

1. wat all books will i need for beginners .
2. In ur post u have said that u have started the preparation on sep .
3. wat is the ideal time for taking GMAT , both for US & EURO .
4. when is the admission time starting in US & EURO .
5. wat would be the minimum score ( safer one which could fetch a
admission ).

at the moment need to clear these doubts kindly help me in this so that i would get a clear idea about wat to go for .

A brief story about my shot at the GMAT and how I got an admit in the college of my choice!

Was busy with work, suddenly got more responsibilities and added pressure just when I was about to start preparing for my GMAT. But November 15th was the deadline for some colleges, so I had to take my gmat before that.

September 07:
Started my prep in September, and began short listing schools in parallel. But I had a very clear view of what I wanted from my MBA and I had to see where I could get the best one with the minimal fuss.
Having worked in Switzerland for almost a year.. my focus was on an European MBA. I never had that much interest in the US anyway, mba or otherwise. And to go about selecting a school for myself, I thought of what all I want from an mba.
1. We cant ignore this, how much ever we try to gloss it over; it still is one of the most important factors the PAY you get after the course and Placement opportunities.
2. Cost of the course
3. Course specialization
4. Avg gmat and toefl and gpa etc academics and work ex
5. diversity, strength, duration of the course

Taking these into consideration, after some help of 2 IIM profs (my mom n dad 😉 ) in short listing the schools, India was never a consideration for me. Even in those colleges here that take GMAT the avg salary is around USD20k. The Worlds Least, not to mention the very famous education system which we have been exposed to for more than 20 years of our life. I decided upon a few colleges in Europe more specifically Germany and Switzerland. And many interesting colleges had interesting deadlines for Round1 and Scholarships. The deadline in question being Nov 15th!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow! So I went ahead and booked my gmat for nov 14th the childrens day ď Š

My Gmat Prep:
In the meantime, I went and got a Princeton 2008 with dvd finished the book quickly a week or so and then was going through some softcopies of og stuff when I realized PR is just a waste I regretted buying the book the dvd was a total sham! (even found a way to hack the online tests 😉 ). This book like many ppl already know is just a book for those who want to get out of the 550 rut (if at all there is one), not the one for the 650 and above, fgt 750 with PR!
Was doing some little bits and pieces from here and there.. a couple of practice tests, a cpl of forums. Mukuls 770 post really helped me a lot and motivated me! Thanks Dude! And shoutouts to nairpraveenk for his wonderful thread.
Now the next thing on the list was toefl, so I booked a date on Oct 21st. I was sure that I would not need more than 2 days for the toefl and took it out of my mind for the time being.
Did some practice tests in between the online PR CATs, gprep, power prep, paper tests etc. Hit a sudden low on one of those and panicked and freaked out for a cpl of days then chilled out and got back my groove.

October:
Toefl:
Got a toefl ibt book Delta series with 10 cds seemed the only book with so much bang for the buck and put it in a shelf and fgt abt it till the 19th.

Got a week off before my toefl and was sitting at home preparing hard for my GMAT.. tat was more imp to me than Toefl.
On the 19th started the ibt book and finished about 70% before I got bored and almost chucked it. Dont mistake me, the book is very very good I would recommend it to anybody. It was just that ibt seemed too easy after the gmat prep. Gave my toefl ripped it! Had fun for a day or two. It was important for me to take these breaks in between. They really helped me reduce the stress.

Back to the schools:
The mba pay in Europe is good too good the avg being EURO 70k !!! do the math!
UBS, DB, CS,BCG, McKinsey, Moodys, Ferrari-Maserati, BMW, Porsche, Gucci, Loreal - to name a few. Wide variety, lots of opportunities.
There are a lot of courses which donot have any particular specialization General Mgmt, Strategy which was wat I was looking for.
And almost all of the European mbas are a little over a year 14-16 months. You get out fast and have one year more workex and save on your living exp and course fee.
Almost all courses have a very limited class strength 40 50 at the max. This results in better bonding and better networking than say around 200-300 ppl in a batch! IMHO

November:
The first school on my list was the IOMBA from Uni of Geneva. I had my eye on this for quite a while now and was very much keen to get into it! But this was the one with the Nov 15th deadline.
So I got busy with the application and my oh my! I had to complete a whopping 7 essays!!!!!!
This was the toughest part in the 2 months time running, mounting pressure, frustration abt doing your Applcn when you need be busy with GMAT. Dammmmmm!

Finished the book in 3 days and gained immense confidence I can never overstress the boost this book gave me! Same with the powerprep tests :P
Seven b-school essays in something like 7-10 days is cruel drain your energy and leave you in a jagged state of nerves.
But I backed myself up and finally it was done finally the whole application was ready by 10th and I was almost dead!

Gave my GMAT on the 14th, nothing great to write about missed 2 sitters in Quant both data sufficiency. Got 650!

December:
Was Sitting with crossed fingers after that till I got news about my application being selected for the IOMBA class of 08 a few days back!
I think the things that got me the admit was my killer reco letters and my essays! i am sure about that.

If this post has helped you please visit my blog and click [B][I]here[/I][/B] and give your comments I will not be visiting PG very frequently now but I ll stick arnd and help out with any queries

Confidence personified...i like that:)
neptune000 congrats on your score .

i am also trying for gmat , & ihave some doubts regarding it .

1. wat all books will i need for beginners .
2. In ur post u have said that u have started the preparation on sep .
3. wat is the ideal time for taking GMAT , both for US & EURO .
4. when is the admission time starting in US & EURO .
5. wat would be the minimum score ( safer one which could fetch a
admission ).

at the moment need to clear these doubts kindly help me in this so that i would get a clear idea about wat to go for .

hi..

re: 1. wat all books will i need for beginners .

you can start with Princeton Review, it gives a good overview and a nice book to start with, easy reading - then u can move on to kaplan premier etc.. OG 11 is a definite must!

re: 3. wat is the ideal time for taking GMAT , both for US & EURO. & 4. when is the admission time starting in US & EURO .

I donot have much idea abt US schools, but i think for most of them Round1 closes by mid October i believe.. so you need to have your applicatn including GMAT ready before then...
as far as schools in Europe, more specifically in Germany go, the R1 deadlines are before nov - dec 15.. and many of them have rolling admissions as well.. so if you have your applcn and GMAT ready by say nov15th, you have a fighting chance... many collgs have even ZERO app fee..

re: 5. wat would be the minimum score ( safer one which could fetch a
admission ).
GMAT is just one component in your whole profile - the min score depends on the school. You have a fighting chance in europe if your gmat is >620 and your profile shows diverse work experience - along with bulletproof essays!
I think the essays make or break everything - you just have to lay yourself bare to create the right tone. If everything else is right, a lesser score in gmat can be slightly overlooked.. yeah, the reco letters as well..

My current profile is:
Just normal GPA in my BE - nothing great
2+ exp in IT - but with a twist
Did one yr in a leading Inv Bank in Zurich as a business analyst - this counted a lot - showed diversity in work and also culture

hope this helps
maverick.jd Says
Confidence personified...i like that:)

thanks a lot... just let me know if i can help you...
Great Way To Go..........
M planning to take GMAT on May of 2008.
Could u Please let me know the approch for the RC,CR and SC.
Wat are the materials u went through for that.

September 07:
1. We cant ignore this, how much ever we try to gloss it over; it still is one of the most important factors the PAY you get after the course and Placement opportunities.
2. Cost of the course
3. Course specialization

Taking these into consideration, after some help of 2 IIM profs (my mom n dad 😉 ) in short listing the schools, India was never a consideration for me. Even in those colleges here that take GMAT the avg salary is around USD20k. The Worlds Least, not to mention the very famous education system which we have been exposed to for more than 20 years of our life. I decided upon a few colleges in Europe more specifically Germany and Switzerland. And many interesting colleges had interesting deadlines for Round1 and Scholarships. The deadline in question being Nov 15th!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow! So I went ahead and booked my gmat for nov 14th the childrens day ď Š

My Gmat Prep:
In the meantime, I went and got a Princeton 2008 with dvd finished the book quickly a week or so and then was going through some softcopies of og stuff when I realized PR is just a waste I regretted buying the book the dvd was a total sham! (even found a way to hack the online tests 😉 ). This book like many ppl already know is just a book for those who want to get out of the 550 rut (if at all there is one), not the one for the 650 and above, fgt 750 with PR!
Was doing some little bits and pieces from here and there.. a couple of practice tests, a cpl of forums. Mukuls 770 post really helped me a lot and motivated me! Thanks Dude! And shoutouts to nairpraveenk for his wonderful thread.
Did some practice tests in between the online PR CATs, gprep, power prep, paper tests etc. Hit a sudden low on one of those and panicked and freaked out for a cpl of days then chilled out and got back my groove.

October:
Toefl:
Got a toefl ibt book Delta series with 10 cds seemed the only book with so much bang for the buck and put it in a shelf and fgt abt it till the 19th.

On the 19th started the ibt book and finished about 70% before I got bored and almost chucked it. Dont mistake me, the book is very very good I would recommend it to anybody. It was just that ibt seemed too easy after the gmat prep. Gave my toefl ripped it! Had fun for a day or two. It was important for me to take these breaks in between. They really helped me reduce the stress.

Back to the schools:
UBS, DB, CS,BCG, McKinsey, Moodys, Ferrari-Maserati, BMW, Porsche, Gucci, Loreal - to name a few. Wide variety, lots of opportunities.
There are a lot of courses which donot have any particular specialization General Mgmt, Strategy which was wat I was looking for.
Almost all courses have a very limited class strength 40 50 at the max. This results in better bonding and better networking than say around 200-300 ppl in a batch! IMHO

November:
This was the toughest part in the 2 months time running, mounting pressure, frustration abt doing your Applcn when you need be busy with GMAT. Dammmmmm!

Gave my GMAT on the 14th, nothing great to write about missed 2 sitters in Quant both data sufficiency. Got 650!

December:

If this post has helped you please visit my blog and click [B][I]here[/I][/B] and give your comments I will not be visiting PG very frequently now but I ll stick arnd and help out with any queries
Great Way To Go..........
M planning to take GMAT on May of 2008.
Could u Please let me know the approch for the RC,CR and SC.
Wat are the materials u went through for that.

actually speaking, Verbal is more difficult than Quant, a fact which is reflected in the general score trend, having said that, you need to spend more time on RC, CR, SC

CR i believe just reflects your mental process - and ablity to reason - OG11 is the best place where you can get the best idea - go through all the explanations given
same for RC -

SC - i think is the toughest - refer Spidey's and Saahil's notes - invaluable
and also Manhattan

Kaplan 800 is a very good book, try to finish it in the end and revise it to update your points

hi neptune000
Congratulations!!! really great ....everything was really quick in your case ....:-).I'll be taking GMAT in JAN 2008....Sometimes I dont understand the explanations given for CR and RC questions in OG 11

Please guide...also,Please post in detail abt how u approach verbal section...
Thanks,
Ajay

Thanks Man

September 07:
2. Cost of the course
3. Course specialization

My Gmat Prep:

October:
Toefl:

Back to the schools:

November:

December:

Damn! I went for a trip to India in August and came back thinking about ISB and the prospect of getting back there with an MBA!
I went ahead and gave my GMAT with 4 weeks of prep (it wasn't all that great a prep, except, I just too a lot of exams) and scored 640. I didn't go ahead with the application, coz I figured most of the folks applying to ISB had atleast a 700 or thereabouts.
Anyways, it would be cool if you can point me to some reasonable universities in Europe.
I have a Master's in Computer Science and 2.5 yrs of experience as s/w dev spread between a really cool startup and a huge corporate, in addition, to a company that I started in India earlier this year.
Looking fwd to ur response or maybe will buzz you at your blog ;)
Thx a bunch,
Shiva.

hi buddy..
Even i belong to the same religion Ferrari.

Thanks for the info...

thanks for the tips mate...

@shiva

if u really want a good univ.. i reckon you must take the gmat again