MBA or IAS

Hi All I have a serious career dilemma. Let me tell you my background first. I am a BE graduate (computers). After engineering, I came to USA and finished my MS in computers and Project management. I am also working in USA as a softwar…

Hi All

I have a serious career dilemma. Let me tell you my background first.

I am a BE graduate (computers).
After engineering, I came to USA and finished my MS in computers and Project management. I am also working in USA as a software enginner for last 1 year now. I plan to continue to work for 1 more year in USA.

This is how my career plan looks:

I have decided to return to India next year, as i miss my family and country too much, and do no want to settle in USA.
I will be 26 by then. (BE at Age of 22 + 2 years of MS + 2 years of job experience)
I am sure I will get a good job in India with any of the IT companies. I will do a part time MBA in next 3-4 years with concentration in IT or finance and get a real good managerial job. (BE + MS + MBA + 5 years of job expereience).
I think i will be a good candidate for MBA, as I am a people person and like administration a lot.

Everything looks fine till here. But here is the problem:

I have always wanted to do IAS. I am very patriotic person and highly interested in Indian politics. I have good administrative and people skills. I understand how government and bureaucracy works, since my father was a government officer for last 30 years.
So next year, I can take up a software job in India with any of the IT companies, and prepare for IAS for next 2 years. IAS has an age limit of 30.

There is a precondition before I can make a choice:
I will have to take up a job in India, and can not sit at home preparing for IAS exam. Also, I am married and will have responibilty of family and parents.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts? Any experiences?

I think I need to make up my mind now.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank You

Hi All

Everything looks fine till here. But here is the problem:

I have always wanted to do IAS. I am very patriotic person and highly interested in Indian politics. I have good administrative and people skills. I understand how government and bureaucracy works, since my father was a government officer for last 30 years.
So next year, I can take up a software job in India with any of the IT companies, and prepare for IAS for next 2 years. IAS has an age limit of 30.

There is a precondition before I can make a choice:
I will have to take up a job in India, and can not sit at home preparing for IAS exam. Also, I am married and will have responibilty of family and parents.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts? Any experiences?

I think I need to make up my mind now.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank You

Its good that you wish to get into IAS. However, last year there was talk of reducing the age limit from 30 to 26 (only changes for the general category - so the politicians wont really raise a hue and cry about this one) - so be aware of that. I believe it wasn't all in the air but rather serious talk on the matter.

Hi Zango, Thanks for the reply. I think the age limit is still 30.

Anybody has any suggestions/ thoughts/experiences for me??

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi Zango, Thanks for the reply. I think the age limit is still 30.

Anybody has any suggestions/ thoughts/experiences for me??

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

I would say take one things at a time. Life is too complicated even without the MBAs and IASs. So just sit back and tell yourself what are the things you need to do *right now*. I can see only one thing - Get a job and come back to India !

Once here, I would seriously advice you to take a sabbatical for a year and enroll in one of the IAS coaching centers in Delhi if you are serious. There is no point in making it a half hearted attempt. And doing a part-time MBA along with it is a serious no no. Finally, never ever procrastinate - you never know about when the rules regarding the age criterion changes or if you want to take another shot you might just tip the chronological scales on the wrong side.

Hope this helps,

Arun

Hi Arun

Thanks for the reply.

If I choose the IAS option, i will not do MBA at all.

I was thinking of preparing for IAS for 2 years, while working in US and then in India.

Is the sabbatical for a year absolutely necessary? And do I have to join IAS coaching centers in Delhi only? Why do people always suggest staying in Delhi for a year? Aren't there any good coachings in Mumbai?

One thing I agree 100% with you is I should not procrastinate. And thats exactly what I am doing right now. And thats what is bothering me.....a lot!

I am pretty sure many people have gone thru "IAS or MBA" dilemma.

The two basically compare at money v/s power level.

So i was asking for any suggestions/experience.

Thanks

I would say take one things at a time. Life is too complicated even without the MBAs and IASs. So just sit back and tell yourself what are the things you need to do *right now*. I can see only one thing - Get a job and come back to India !

Once here, I would seriously advice you to take a sabbatical for a year and enroll in one of the IAS coaching centers in Delhi if you are serious. There is no point in making it a half hearted attempt. And doing a part-time MBA along with it is a serious no no. Finally, never ever procrastinate - you never know about when the rules regarding the age criterion changes or if you want to take another shot you might just tip the chronological scales on the wrong side.

Hope this helps,

Arun

Hi.....

just read thru ur post dilemma, u sure have a lot on ur plate with the work+marriage+responsibilities and thinkin thru and ias or mba...... as i gather u have gud acd track with BE & MS...............also u have gud admin caps & understanding of the corridors of power......

here's wot i can chip in with.....no matter where u wrk or whether u have an mba or ias... how u wanna put the skills that u pick up is the power that u need...right.... i mean with IT background u can join a SW frim and in ur free time wrk with ngos in areas that u feel give a sense of fulfillment that an ias oficer can get..... a private sector job can also help u do the kind o work that comes across ias officers... e.g. hole i nthe wall -sugata mitra (niit)...
wot i'll say is the kind of background u have opens up many doors for u.....think of it...
but yeah i do agree with 1 thing...the part time option doesnt gel 2 well + it'll consume 2 much of ur time also... think of the time option for both (premium)...
hope it works out for u......
cheers...
musk...

hi musk

thanks for the reply.

The more everyone is putting their thoughts on my dilemma, the better is the picture getting for me.

I agree that i have too much on my plate. But it has always been like this for me.

I guess the tremendous pressure i am facing is that I am leaving a high paying $$ job in usa, coming back to India, not working for a year preparing for IAS, staying away from home attending IAS coaching classes in Delhi for a year,.....and supporting parents and wife in this time.
Thats a big step....with pretty high risk.

But i have heard examples of dedicated people, IIM graduates, refusing high paying jobs, who are working and topping the IAS list at the 3rd attempt.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi.....

just read thru ur post dilemma, u sure have a lot on ur plate with the work+marriage+responsibilities and thinkin thru and ias or mba...... as i gather u have gud acd track with BE & MS...............also u have gud admin caps & understanding of the corridors of power......

here's wot i can chip in with.....no matter where u wrk or whether u have an mba or ias... how u wanna put the skills that u pick up is the power that u need...right.... i mean with IT background u can join a SW frim and in ur free time wrk with ngos in areas that u feel give a sense of fulfillment that an ias oficer can get..... a private sector job can also help u do the kind o work that comes across ias officers... e.g. hole i nthe wall -sugata mitra (niit)...
wot i'll say is the kind of background u have opens up many doors for u.....think of it...
but yeah i do agree with 1 thing...the part time option doesnt gel 2 well + it'll consume 2 much of ur time also... think of the time option for both (premium)...
hope it works out for u......
cheers...
musk...

Hi

I was reading your post. I am in a similar situation. My opinion is MBA can always wait!!

One thing you can do is when you go on your next India trip go to a few IAS coaching centers and talk to the instructors there and decide on what your optionals would be and which books to buy. You can then come back to USA and start preparing for IAS here. The syllabus doesnt change much over the years except for current affairs stuff like chief ministers,national calmities etc..which you can anyways get from some good Indian websites.
You can then go in the month of May whichever year you plan to write the prelims.If you are confident you did well in your prelims, you can then start preparing for the next stage either in USA or think about then leaving job and going to India to prepare more thoroughly.
Dont even think about leaving your job in USA and going back even before you clear the prelims. Going to Delhi wont help much. Studying 3-4 hours with interest in USA is better than cramming all day in Delhi. Also, what if you study in Delhi and dont get through?? Then you will have to start all over again in IT field in India. Trust me, even if you have 2 years exp from USA, you will still start position wise entry level thanks to all the politics there.

Incase you get through IAS, you can still do an MBA in 2 cases:
1. If you are distraught with the civil services and its not what you had hoped for, you can get out of civil services and get an MBA from IIM or other institute.IAS work exp counts a lot, more than IT or any other field because its more to do with administration. Also private companies will take you in like hotcakes.
2. You can also get an MBA even when you are in service by taking a long leave. This is acceptable by the govt and lot of people do that.

DONT EVER THINK ABOUT PART-TIME MBA IN INDIA.

However if you think about going back to India , plan on doing a part-time MBA in USA(it takes about 3 years) and then go back to an executive or senior role.That way you wont be involved in petty software engineer politics. I must add however that this decision will be influenced by whether your company has a tuition reimbursement program for you.

Hi hyd-spi-bos

You have touched all issues that are bothering me.

I am thinking of starting IAS preparion in USA, because I have a 8 to 5 job here unlike the 12-14 hours a day software job in india. So I can study well here for the next whole year, if I have the material.
(I was thinking of ordering Brilliant Tutorials notes and some books from India)

But i think studying on my own without any guidance won't be helpful, or will it?
Many people suggest joining 5-6 months coaching in delhi.

I have some questions for you:

1) Why do you say that Going to Delhi wont help much? Many people go to delhi for the renowned coaching classes.

2) Why do you say DONT EVER THINK ABOUT PART-TIME MBA IN INDIA. ? Whats wrong with it? It takes 3 years. and you can get ahead in career.

3) Why do you say, "Dont even think about leaving your job in USA and going back even before you clear the prelims."

4) If I decide to do MBA in USA, it will take atleast 3 years, and then I will have to forget about IAS. I will be 29 and married by then. Also, I can not stay in US for 3 more years. Staying in US without your people/family sucks, people stay here only for $$$ and nothing else.

My greatest worry is if in the end I don't get into IAS, I will have to start entry level software job , just like you said. Thats how software industry works in insia with extreme compitition.
But worst come worst, I will waste 1 whole year....and get a software job that I would have got freshly after returning from USA with MS + 2 years job experience.

please suggest. thanks a lot.

Hi

I was reading your post. I am in a similar situation. My opinion is MBA can always wait!!

One thing you can do is when you go on your next India trip go to a few IAS coaching centers and talk to the instructors there and decide on what your optionals would be and which books to buy. You can then come back to USA and start preparing for IAS here. The syllabus doesnt change much over the years except for current affairs stuff like chief ministers,national calmities etc..which you can anyways get from some good Indian websites.
You can then go in the month of May whichever year you plan to write the prelims.If you are confident you did well in your prelims, you can then start preparing for the next stage either in USA or think about then leaving job and going to India to prepare more thoroughly.
Dont even think about leaving your job in USA and going back even before you clear the prelims. Going to Delhi wont help much. Studying 3-4 hours with interest in USA is better than cramming all day in Delhi. Also, what if you study in Delhi and dont get through?? Then you will have to start all over again in IT field in India. Trust me, even if you have 2 years exp from USA, you will still start position wise entry level thanks to all the politics there.

Incase you get through IAS, you can still do an MBA in 2 cases:
1. If you are distraught with the civil services and its not what you had hoped for, you can get out of civil services and get an MBA from IIM or other institute.IAS work exp counts a lot, more than IT or any other field because its more to do with administration. Also private companies will take you in like hotcakes.
2. You can also get an MBA even when you are in service by taking a long leave. This is acceptable by the govt and lot of people do that.

DONT EVER THINK ABOUT PART-TIME MBA IN INDIA.

However if you think about going back to India , plan on doing a part-time MBA in USA(it takes about 3 years) and then go back to an executive or senior role.That way you wont be involved in petty software engineer politics. I must add however that this decision will be influenced by whether your company has a tuition reimbursement program for you.

I should have made myself more clear.Also, this is my opinion on the whole thing and ultimately you should do what you feel is right.

To answer your questions:

1) Why do you say that Going to Delhi wont help much? Many people go to delhi for the renowned coaching classes.

Lot of people go to Delhi under parental and peer pressure(probably like how you?? and me took up engg during our bachelors!!).Most of these students are from Bihar,UP,MP where IAS has the same craze as say Engg in Hyd. Only very very few of them get through IAS. And I am sure 90% of those people would have got through anyways because they are motivated enough. Coaching just reassures your confidence. Also, I never said not to take guidance. You can go speak to someone and take their advice, and be in correspondence with them by email or phone calls. There are lot of people in coaching centers who give you good advice.

2) Why do you say DONT EVER THINK ABOUT PART-TIME MBA IN INDIA. ? Whats wrong with it? It takes 3 years. and you can get ahead in career.
You studied in the USA and saw the facilities in the universities I guess. The fulltime Indian MBA institutes except for IIM A,B,C or ISB cannot even compare with the smallest universities in USA. All the admission and placement figures are hyped up to lure candidates.And the least said about part-time the better.When you go to India you can check them out. Its not worth the money, more so when you leave a chance to do part-time in USA.

4) If I decide to do MBA in USA, it will take atleast 3 years, and then I will have to forget about IAS. I will be 29 and married by then. Also, I can not stay in US for 3 more years. Staying in US without your people/family sucks, people stay here only for $$$ and nothing else.
I will answer this first.I am saying start doing the part-time MBA in USA only after you give up on IAS. It will mean you will live in USA for 2 more years than you plan to but its well worth the time spent.

3) Why do you say, "Dont even think about leaving your job in USA and going back even before you clear the prelims
I am saying this because then you can pursue your MBA and go to India and join an executive position.

How much ever you want to go back to India early, you should realise that you got an opportunity to come to USA and you should make the most of it. Ofcourse people come here for the money!! Money in hand will make your life comfortable.How much ever you try to deny it,money will solve 90% of your problems, and living away from family for few years is only a small sacrifice you will make.I am saying this assuming your family doesnt need you yet, either due to old age or health problems.(Sorry, I couldnt put it in a better way!!)Also you should think about your family too, talk to your wife(u married yet??) and parents and see what they want you to do.I am sure they want you to go back to India to an executive position than a beginner software job.

Which city do you live in USA? Where are you from in India?

Are you deciding between IAS and MBA ? Or are you contemplating returning back to India and being jobless (and possibly peniless) for over a year as you fear which is keeping you from taking a shot at the IAS?

I think though your post was clearly worded, I misconstrued it.

If it is the former question then I would say get the MBA out of the equation now. Just decide if you want to give a shot at the IAS. Its too trivial a question to debate on which one is better.

Regarding the second question, I think its a very personal thing. I mean different people have different priorities. You need to decide on what you want.

Arun

Hi hyd-spi-bos

Thank a lot for such a detailed and personal level suggestions.
I am from Mumbai and Chicago.

1) I know 90% of people preparing for IAS in delhi are not serious enough or at all. But at the same time, most of the IAS achievers are usually those who attended a coaching class in delhi (atleast for 4-5 months cram).
So I really don't know.:)

2) I understand the IAS craze in UP-Bihar, same as engineering craze in southern states and maharashtra. But I chose BE and MS on my own without any pressure, and I have always been "In it to win it".

But, circumstances will change soon and I will have limitations like family responsibilities, marriage next year, retired parents, younger brother etc.
(Although my parents don't need e to be physically there with them, basically, i will be the only person earning in the family :))

Hence, a full time MBA for 2 years is almost not possible. And thats the only reason I was thinking of part-time MBA from a good institute in mumbai while working.

3) What are the chances that an MBA from USA will get me a executive ?? job avoiding the software engg mess.?

I was looking at MBA from India as a pickup point, to get picked by a great employer from MBA camplus. I will not get that from MBA from USA.

4) My parents think money is not important/needed than being together. They think that anyone gets a good job in India now a days...... Rs. 30000-40000 per month is too good at this age for me. So they just want me to come back to India as soon as possible, get a decent job, get married next year and have a happy life with wife and them. :)

Also, check this link out:
http://epaperarchive.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JTS8yMDA1LzA1LzEzI0FyMDAyMDI=&Mode;=HTML&Locale;=english-skin-custom

How do these people do this? IIM + PhD = IAS ??

I should have made myself more clear.Also, this is my opinion on the whole thing and ultimately you should do what you feel is right.

To answer your questions:

Lot of people go to Delhi under parental and peer pressure(probably like how you?? and me took up engg during our bachelors!!).Most of these students are from Bihar,UP,MP where IAS has the same craze as say Engg in Hyd. Only very very few of them get through IAS. And I am sure 90% of those people would have got through anyways because they are motivated enough. Coaching just reassures your confidence. Also, I never said not to take guidance. You can go speak to someone and take their advice, and be in correspondence with them by email or phone calls. There are lot of people in coaching centers who give you good advice.

You studied in the USA and saw the facilities in the universities I guess. The fulltime Indian MBA institutes except for IIM A,B,C or ISB cannot even compare with the smallest universities in USA. All the admission and placement figures are hyped up to lure candidates.And the least said about part-time the better.When you go to India you can check them out. Its not worth the money, more so when you leave a chance to do part-time in USA.

I will answer this first.I am saying start doing the part-time MBA in USA only after you give up on IAS. It will mean you will live in USA for 2 more years than you plan to but its well worth the time spent.

3) Why do you say, "Dont even think about leaving your job in USA and going back even before you clear the prelims
I am saying this because then you can pursue your MBA and go to India and join an executive position.

How much ever you want to go back to India early, you should realise that you got an opportunity to come to USA and you should make the most of it. Ofcourse people come here for the money!! Money in hand will make your life comfortable.How much ever you try to deny it,money will solve 90% of your problems, and living away from family for few years is only a small sacrifice you will make.I am saying this assuming your family doesnt need you yet, either due to old age or health problems.(Sorry, I couldnt put it in a better way!!)Also you should think about your family too, talk to your wife(u married yet??) and parents and see what they want you to do.I am sure they want you to go back to India to an executive position than a beginner software job.

Which city do you live in USA? Where are you from in India?

Psychodementia, my answer is both of the above are my problems.

Ok. Here are some bullets to get everyone (including myself) on the same page.

1) Although I chose BE and MS as my career, I have realized (may be a bit late) that I am more of a administration (public or business or project level) type personality. I am good at technical stuff / software but I guess am or can be a better administrator/manager.

2) I would like to return to India as soon as possible in next 1-2 years. My parents also want me to return as early as possible.

3) Full time 2 year MBA in India looks not possible for me. At the most I can do part time MBA, while working.

4) Part time MBA is a no-no as recommended by Many people to me. I am told is not worth the time and money investment. Dont understand why?

5) If I chose IAS option, I will have to prepare for it for 2 years, while working in India. Taking a 1 year break is not possible. (need income to support family).
Even the 4-5 month cram at Delhi coaching classes sounds difficult.

6) Initially I was thinking of returing to India and taking a 1 year break to prepare for IAS. Many people suggested joining Delhi coaching and preparing seriously for 1 year. According to them, preapring for IAS while working is a half-hearted effort.
But this is HIGH risk as i will be broke for 1 year, spend a lot in Classes, and join some low level software job in case of unsuccessful IAS effort.

7) MBA is not a priority now, I can do it anytime in life. But i have onl 4 years left for IAS age eligiility.

A part-time MBA in USA sounds good option as I will be earning in $$ and will give me an executive job when I return. But it will take atleast 3 years and nullifies all of the above assumptions/requirements.

9) Thank you all a lot for every single thought and suggestion

Are you deciding between IAS and MBA ? Or are you contemplating returning back to India and being jobless (and possibly peniless) for over a year as you fear which is keeping you from taking a shot at the IAS?

I think though your post was clearly worded, I misconstrued it.

If it is the former question then I would say get the MBA out of the equation now. Just decide if you want to give a shot at the IAS. Its too trivial a question to debate on which one is better.

Regarding the second question, I think its a very personal thing. I mean different people have different priorities. You need to decide on what you want.

Arun

I like the discussions we are having. It is helping me choose my options too.
I would die to be in Chicago just for the Chicago Business School and Kellogg Institute of Management both of which have the best part-time programs in the world. I live in Boston. Though we have MIT and Harvard here, neither of them offer part-time MBA.

To put forth my opinions:

1) Although I chose BE and MS as my career, I have realized (may be a bit late) that I am more of a administration (public or business or project level) type personality. I am good at technical stuff / software but I guess am or can be a better administrator/manager.

Its never too late. Also interest in administration comes gradually with experience. Even if you become a manager, you would perform the job efficiently only because of your experience and education. You just cant become a manager without experience.

2) I would like to return to India as soon as possible in next 1-2 years. My parents also want me to return as early as possible.

Is there any reason they cant wait few years?Your future will be secure.

3) Full time 2 year MBA in India looks not possible for me. At the most I can do part time MBA, while working.

Always think of MBA in terms of Return Of Investment(ROI). Fulltime from IIM A,B,C will open so many doors for you that you cannot imagine from a part-time in India.You can take a loan for the 2 years. It is well worth the money. Also, you can clear the loan in 1 year max if you graduate from a top institute like IIM.

4) Part time MBA is a no-no as recommended by Many people to me. I am told is not worth the time and money investment. Dont understand why?

I am assuming you are talking about part time MBA in India.Thats cause facilities are so bad in India. You wont see the same growth as a fulltime or part-time from USA.

5) If I chose IAS option, I will have to prepare for it for 2 years, while working in India. Taking a 1 year break is not possible. (need income to support family).
You can still take a loan.However unlike MBA,there is no guarantee you will be able to clear the loan soon enough even if you get into IAS.

6) Initially I was thinking of returing to India and taking a 1 year break to prepare for IAS. Many people suggested joining Delhi coaching and preparing seriously for 1 year. According to them, preapring for IAS while working is a half-hearted effort.
But this is HIGH risk as i will be broke for 1 year, spend a lot in Classes, and join some low level software job in case of unsuccessful IAS effort.
How many of those people are in IAS?? Do they even have the heart to appear for IAS even once?

7) MBA is not a priority now, I can do it anytime in life. But i have onl 4 years left for IAS age eligiility.
True.

A part-time MBA in USA sounds good option as I will be earning in $$ and will give me an executive job when I return. But it will take atleast 3 years and nullifies all of the above assumptions/requirements.
You can always get an MBA after you exhaust your IAS chances.

Hey dilemma....jus a couple o things more ....

- u said u are married, is ur wife employed....cud she stay with ur family and help manage the finances while u slug it out for the ias or mba (wot ever u choose)....
- the ias will come with its fair share of issues viz. no of seats, the quota, selection, etc. (the mba will also have these but u still have more ops wrt institutes)...
- its so much bout the money also.... the financial compensation might not be that gr8 for an ias officer (yes there will be an admin car with the flag)......
- and yes the premium on time....
- plus the X+Y+Z = a or b or c................ lets not compare that, not every1 is like that.. few have the mba with phd & then some more......c wot u want on ur plate... b in control of the momentum that can take u thru wot u want outta life....

hope u'll get ur answers...

Some random thoughts.....

the salary in a government job is not that great.
Any ideas? My guess would be around 25000 per month for IAS.

But they get free housing, servents, car, all utilities etc.
I guess these are the major expenditues for any average middle class IT/MBA graduate with home loans, car payments and bills (major chunk of expenses).

So you have salary for "other" expenses.
Also, you get the position, prestige, power and pride of serving your country.

So i guess, number of seats, the quota, selection, reservations are just the hurdles in the race. Not easy ones, but can be jumped over.

So when it comes down to IAS or MBA comparison, its totally Money v/s position, prestige, power and pride.

But thats not the issue here.

Issue is what step should I take now, making the best out of the opportunities that I have already have, keeping in mind the constaints that I have too.

Anyways. 😃

Hey hyd-spi-bos

Whats your status now? age, job, mba, ias etc?

you can take up a job in chicago, and do part time mba there.
I am 2 hours away from chicago, so not possible for me.

I have some family issues and have to return to India in 1-2 years.
So dropped idea of part-time MBA in USA, as it will take atleast 3 years with prereqs and all.

Studying for IAS while working in USA and in India sounds the easiest option for me.

Part time MBA in India is a good option, if you can get in a good non-IIM school. But like many people said, its not worth investing time and money.

Full time MBA acts as a pickup point, where companies pick u up, pay high and groom you for managerial job. You can climb managerial ladder easily then.
There is no point doing full time MBA in India when you are above 30-35. Because by then you are too much ahead in your career.

Doing a full time MBA taking a loan sounds too daring to me,.....especially with resposiblities of parents, younger brother, wife (mostly not working ), starting up family etc.

One thing I can do though, if i chose Not to go for IAS (ignoring the position, prestige, power and pride for that evil money!!) is that to study for CAT/ Bajaj-mumbai here in USA and join full time MBA as soon as I go back to India.

I like the discussions we are having. It is helping me choose my options too.
I would die to be in Chicago just for the Chicago Business School and Kellogg Institute of Management both of which have the best part-time programs in the world. I live in Boston. Though we have MIT and Harvard here, neither of them offer part-time MBA.

To put forth my opinions:

Its never too late. Also interest in administration comes gradually with experience. Even if you become a manager, you would perform the job efficiently only because of your experience and education. You just cant become a manager without experience.

Is there any reason they cant wait few years?Your future will be secure.

Always think of MBA in terms of Return Of Investment(ROI). Fulltime from IIM A,B,C will open so many doors for you that you cannot imagine from a part-time in India.You can take a loan for the 2 years. It is well worth the money. Also, you can clear the loan in 1 year max if you graduate from a top institute like IIM.

I am assuming you are talking about part time MBA in India.Thats cause facilities are so bad in India. You wont see the same growth as a fulltime or part-time from USA.

You can still take a loan.However unlike MBA,there is no guarantee you will be able to clear the loan soon enough even if you get into IAS.

How many of those people are in IAS?? Do they even have the heart to appear for IAS even once?

True.

You can always get an MBA after you exhaust your IAS chances.

Whats your status now? age, job, mab, ias etc?
I am 23 years old,married. Finished MS in USA and working on H-1 in Boston.

--Or I can fly every weekend to Chicago and do my part-time MBA. Those schools have weekend MBA which can be finished in 2-3 years. Flying every week will cost 15-20k extra but I am sure it well worth the money. Those 2 schools have career placement service even for part-time.

--which city do u live in? bloomington,peoria,springfield,champaign or some other city?
So dropped idea of part-time MBA in USA, as it will take atleast 3 years with prereqs and all.
Usually you wont have pre-reqs. Everyone should do all the courses with very few exceptions.

Studying for IAS while working in USA and in India sounds the easiest option for me.
---I planning to study for IAS in USA only.

Part time MBA in India is a good option, if you can get in a good non-IIM school. But like many people said, its not worth investing time and money.
---Personally,its a bad idea and I wont even think about it.

Full time MBA acts as a pickup point, where companies pick u up, pay high and groom you for managerial job. You can climb managerial ladder easily then.
---True.

There is no point doing full time MBA in India when you are above 30-35. Because by then you are too much ahead in your career.
---I disagree on that.Lot of people do executive MBA even after 45. So nothing wrong in doing MBA late to enhance your credentials especially if you are in the running for a top promotion.

Doing a full time MBA taking a loan sounds too daring to me,.....especially with resposiblities of parents, younger brother, wife (mostly not working ), starting up family etc.
Actually, its the easiest and safest option. Nothing wrong in taking loans. Think of it as an investment.
One thing I can do though, if i chose Not to go for IAS (ignoring the position, prestige, power and pride for that evil money!!) is that to study for CAT/ Bajaj-mumbai here in USA and join full time MBA as soon as I go back to India.
----You can also apply for IIM as an overseas candidate by writing GMAT. You will have a better shot at getting admission. Fee is higher for the overseas candidates though.For IIM L,K,I it is 8000-9000$ per year and for A,B,C its about 10k$ per year.So total would be about 20k$ for 2 years. This includes accomodation and books etc...basically ull be paying double than the people in India who pay about 4-5 lakhs for the entire course. But it is well worth the money.

Wow
MS+ Married at 23 is awesome.

I am MS + about to get married at 25.
(been working for last 1 year)

I am in peoria.

Flying every weekend to Chicago sounds crazy to me, think 10 times befor you do it. (unless you and your wife both have real high paying job in boston)

I was thinking of that as i have to drive only 2 hours every weekend.
But can't.
If you have researched some e-MBA around this area, tell me.

If you are
planning to study for IAS in USA, when will you do MBA?

Also, remember you have the 2 years leverage compared to me :)

Whats your status now? age, job, mab, ias etc?
I am 23 years old,married. Finished MS in USA and working on H-1 in Boston.

--Or I can fly every weekend to Chicago and do my part-time MBA. Those schools have weekend MBA which can be finished in 2-3 years. Flying every week will cost 15-20k extra but I am sure it well worth the money. Those 2 schools have career placement service even for part-time.

--which city do u live in? bloomington,peoria,springfield,champaign or some other city?
Usually you wont have pre-reqs. Everyone should do all the courses with very few exceptions.

---I planning to study for IAS in USA only.

---Personally,its a bad idea and I wont even think about it.

---True.

---I disagree on that.Lot of people do executive MBA even after 45. So nothing wrong in doing MBA late to enhance your credentials especially if you are in the running for a top promotion.

Actually, its the easiest and safest option. Nothing wrong in taking loans. Think of it as an investment.
----You can also apply for IIM as an overseas candidate by writing GMAT. You will have a better shot at getting admission. Fee is higher for the overseas candidates though.For IIM L,K,I it is 8000-9000$ per year and for A,B,C its about 10k$ per year.So total would be about 20k$ for 2 years. This includes accomodation and books etc...basically ull be paying double than the people in India who pay about 4-5 lakhs for the entire course. But it is well worth the money.