MBA options at the IIM for aspirants above the age of 30

I came across this threadhttp://www.pagalguy.com/forums/chit-chat/avenues-mba-30-year-old-t-9945/p-248655 which shed some light about MBA prospects after the age of 30. I am however curious to know whether the 2 year PGP program admits…

I came across this thread

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/avenues-for-mba-for-a-30-year-old-25009945/248655
which shed some light about MBA prospects after the age of 30.

I am however curious to know whether the 2 year PGP program admits applicants over the age of 30? (for people who might not want to apply for the exec program)

Apologies if this has been answered else where already. (The moderators can in such case point me to the thread and close this one)

- Rohit

At IIMA, the oldest guy is around 28 years. And boy, is he facing troubles.. I think u shud read the blog on 25+ in an Indian b-school. Just google it. Some of the things in that blog are actually true..

If you are 25+ (Leave apart 30), unless you are a real stud (Either workex in a bank or a top consulting firm or IIT topper) it will be hard to get shortlists. Most banks will ignore you because you would want work-life balance and freshers easily can work their ass off for 17-18 hours for an iBank.. Forget most of the good marketing firms because they want either the pretty gals or the freshers.. Your only chance is with Indian babu-giri type firms or with IT companies.. You will be picked on by the profs even as 'senior citizens' - and you can't even imagine the fun your batchmates will make of you.. Even the admission committee is aware of all these issues and hence, it'll be difficult to secure admission..

That said, if you are really convincing you can secure an admission. Then it'll be part fate and part hard luck as to what you become after you graduate..

I'd rather suggest that if you have a good enuff workex try the executive programs at IIMs or ISB..

In IIMB PGP batch, couple of our batchmates are over 30. If you are really passionate about a PGDM from IIM, give it a try. Also in the interview panel, be honest about your expectations from the program and hope for the best. ISB is the other good option, but it hardly offers any better job prospect compared to a PGDM from IIM ABC, other than opportunity cost for one year.

Thanks to Abhi.IIMB for his valuable input. Even I aspire to join an MBA in any of IIM A/B/C within the next three years (am 28 plus as of now). I am into Corporate Law and working with India's one of the premier law firms, which implies that I am into the consulting profession. I am contemplating a career move (esp. management consulting) so If I can crack the CAT right on time, I hope that my work experience will help me get into any of the aforesaid premier management studies institutions and thereafter help me in securing a good placement. The problem is I have not come across any person till now who has done his MBA post 30 from any of the IIM(s) and shares his experience. That has created the dilemma.

@iimawoes

At IIMA, the oldest guy is around 28 years. And boy, is he facing troubles.. I think u shud read the blog on 25+ in an Indian b-school. Just google it. Some of the things in that blog are actually true..

If you are 25+ (Leave apart 30), unless you are a real stud (Either workex in a bank or a top consulting firm or IIT topper) it will be hard to get shortlists. Most banks will ignore you because you would want work-life balance and freshers easily can work their ass off for 17-18 hours for an iBank.. Forget most of the good marketing firms because they want either the pretty gals or the freshers.. Your only chance is with Indian babu-giri type firms or with IT companies.. You will be picked on by the profs even as 'senior citizens' - and you can't even imagine the fun your batchmates will make of you.. Even the admission committee is aware of all these issues and hence, it'll be difficult to secure admission..That said, if you are really convincing you can secure an admission. Then it'll be part fate and part hard luck as to what you become after you graduate..

I'd rather suggest that if you have a good enuff workex try the executive programs at IIMs or ISB..

Respectfully - what is your opinion based on?

I am 37 can I join 

Here's a book to get all the myths and confusions about MBA and IIMs clear! Give it a read! 

https://www.educreation.in/store/the-black-book-ameet-siingh.html

http://www.amazon.in/dp/1618137026