MBA IT vs MBA Operations

Hi, Can anyone tell me the difference between MBA IT/Systems and MBA Operations. Does MBA Operations covers Project Management related issues of Software Development / Management. Also, I would like to know about some good and recognis…

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between MBA IT/Systems and MBA Operations.
Does MBA Operations covers Project Management related issues of Software Development / Management.

Also, I would like to know about some good and recognised institutes from where I can do the MBA thru correspondence.

Thanks
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between MBA IT/Systems and MBA Operations.

Does MBA Operations covers Project Management related issues of Software Development / Management.

Also, I would like to know about some good and recognised institutes from where I can do the MBA thru correspondence.

Thanks

Hai Vivek,

MBA IT & MBA Operations are different. IN MBA Operations you learn more on the integration of the business , whereas in MBA IT & System you concentrate more on the software project management. MBA operations does include Software Project Management but with limited scope.

If you are an IT Engineer and wish to do MBA systems you can choose institutes like IIIT , PUne or Banglore. But my opinion would be choose a full time course rather than corresspondance as MBA is all about communication for which you need interaction with your peers.
Hai Vivek,

MBA IT & MBA Operations are different. IN MBA Operations you learn more on the integration of the business , whereas in MBA IT & System you concentrate more on the software project management. MBA operations does include Software Project Management but with limited scope.

If you are an IT Engineer and wish to do MBA systems you can choose institutes like IIIT , PUne or Banglore. But my opinion would be choose a full time course rather than corresspondance as MBA is all about communication for which you need interaction with your peers.

Hi skylork,

Thanks for your response.
I can't go for full time MBA because I have to pursue my full time job. I am not in a situation of leaving my job. Hence decided for correspondence medium.

Regarding the institute, I have heard that Symbiosis is very reputed and has good market value. But the thing is they are proving PDGBA and not MBA Degree. ICFAI, on the other hand is giving MBA degree, but they are not registered as per UGC norms -- i have read this somewhere -- Does this really matters in private industry ? And does getting a MBA degree or a PDGBA matters ?

Waiting for ur reply.

Thanks again.
Hi skylork,

Thanks for your response.
I can't go for full time MBA because I have to pursue my full time job. I am not in a situation of leaving my job. Hence decided for correspondence medium.

Regarding the institute, I have heard that Symbiosis is very reputed and has good market value. But the thing is they are proving PDGBA and not MBA Degree. ICFAI, on the other hand is giving MBA degree, but they are not registered as per UGC norms -- i have read this somewhere -- Does this really matters in private industry ? And does getting a MBA degree or a PDGBA matters ?

Waiting for ur reply.

Thanks again.

Dear Vivek,

Good to hear from you. MBA & PGDBA doesn't have much difference. Even IIMs doesn't provide you MBA , they provide you PGDBA degree at the end of the course.

Moreover in a job market people look for the skills and ability one acquired during his learning period rather than the degree he possess. In case you can't go for a Full time course, then I would suggest you to opt for Distance Learning course offered through Direcway Education Centres by IIM, XLRI,MAHE etc.,

These have flexi timings as well as provide you the same level of education at affordable cost. Please do go through this website http://www.dwge.com .
On same lines hoz the PGDSM - MIT offered by SP Jain...

link : http://www.spjimr.org/mit/mit.asp

I have heard that it focusses more on the technology subjects...
The fees are about 6.5 L...
18 months course...

Is it worth joining ???

Hi guys...just chanced upon this thread...

Vivek...doing a post grad degrees in management would add to your skills if you opt for a regular full time course ....there are various factors which count in your MBA including interaction with faculty and fellow students, case studies, classroom discussions, ....the B-Skool alumni here can guide you better than us of course...but I feel that if you just need an MBA degree...you can do a correspondence course...but if you want to gain something out of it , you should take up a full time course...

All the best...

thanks to all of you ...
i will go thru the direcway site and will comment back here

thanks

after going thru the DirecWay site, i will prefer to go for either for Symbiosis or for IGNOU ....

some of the reasons .... total fees, ease of doing the course, total duration and PGDBM is treated as equivalent of MBA.

thanks to all of you for giving guidance.

Hai Vivek,

I am Engineer in mechanical field. I am really confused as to go for MBA IT or MBA OPERATIONS. Can anyone help me? In which of the above fileds is there scope offcampus for me particulary?

Hello Frnds, Am into software testing and wish to perse my MBA in correspondence. Now am confused whrtr to opt for Operations or Systems ? Plz help me out. Which MBA can boost up my career in Testing ?

dasmonalisa15 Says
Hello Frnds, Am into software testing and wish to perse my MBA in correspondence. Now am confused whrtr to opt for Operations or Systems ? Plz help me out. Which MBA can boost up my career in Testing ?

MBA Operations and MBA(IT/Systems) are completely different.MBA Operation as the name suggests concentrates more on the operations part of the business.How the business is integrated ....Although Software has some role in Operations but thats minimal.

Whereas MBA(IT/SYSTEM) is more concentrated in analysis and design of software.It also encompasses IT enabled operations.Software Testing is a major part of this .

Hope this helps .

Hy, thanks amit..... wel, i was also thnking the same bt jst wantd more help and suggestions... nwz, thanks a lot........

--> i m BE student(fresher) ....planning to do mba but confused abt specialization... i want to be in IT industry after completein my mba...so plz help me..IT OR operations or marketing

manus87 Says
--> i m BE student(fresher) ....planning to do mba but confused abt specialization... i want to be in IT industry after completein my mba...so plz help me..IT OR operations or marketing

Please refer to the previous post for details on System/IT and Operations

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/life-b-school-b-school/13893-mba-it-vs-mba-operations-2.html#post2141337

Maketing is a completely different domain.As such marketing in IT is more of a Sales domain.Pre-Sales/Post-Sales/Project Bidding etc. are some of the profiles offered in marketing domain in IT industry.

If you still have doubts feel free to revert.

Gm amit...
-->i had already read the previous post but i was confused.....basically wat i wanted to knw tht which would give my carrer a better stablity.Bcoz many ppl told me tht mba IT HAs no scope if u r fresher(after grad no experince) ..
-->And wat kind of job profile wil i get after doin MBA in Operations in IT and outside IT...
-->Can i get the admission in SICSR thru management(i knw this question should be in the thread of sicsr but still...i had given snap got a 45..defense quota)

Gm amit...
-->i had already read the previous post but i was confused.....basically wat i wanted to knw tht which would give my carrer a better stablity.Bcoz many ppl told me tht mba IT HAs no scope if u r fresher(after grad no experince) ..
-->And wat kind of job profile wil i get after doin MBA in Operations in IT and outside IT...
-->Can i get the admission in SICSR thru management(i knw this question should be in the thread of sicsr but still...i had given snap got a 45..defense quota)

MBA(Operations) will make you eligible for profiles like Operaional Manger,Process Manager etc.MBA(Operations) have more of operations and less minmum of IT.

An MBA(IT) student is offered the role of Business Analyst,System Analayst,Business Development Manager,Application Designer,Pre/Post Sales etc.

It is true that some companies give respect to ppl with workex and might offer a better compensation package.But there are many who do not make any dicrimination between freshers and expereinced.Making a statement like
'mba IT HAs no scope if u r fresher' is incorrect.

SICSR is one of the very good colleges for MBA(IT).Correct,the question should have been aske din the SICSR thread but since the season has ended ,the thread is closed now.You are very late now.The classes for 2010-2012 has already started.You have to try next time.

thnx a lot.........

Can u sugggest me decent or average college in mumbai (thru MH-cet) for MBA IT..

manus87 Says
Can u sugggest me decent or average college in mumbai (thru MH-cet) for MBA IT..

AFAIK,SJMSoM IIT Bombay,providES specialization in IT but am not sure whether they accept CET score or not.Other colleges are IISC, SPJain, NITIE.(They accept CAT score,I guess)

PUMBA(Pune)offers specialization in systems.I presume they accept CET score.

**Sorry ,I have limited knowledge about CET .

This is not the right place to ask questions related to MH-CET.You can get quicker and better responses on the following section of the forum
MAT, state-level CET and related discussions - PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA in India and Abroad, CAT 2009, GMAT, XAT, MAT

P.S : Please use the 'Thanks' - Green button to thank anybody.Do not post a thanks message.