MBA in UK 2006 - 2007

Hi All, I could not find any thread for people travelling for their MBA for 2006 - 2007 so though of creating one… Please make best use of this thread… and share your insights on UK MBA programs. I have about 5 years of work exp 2 …

Hi All,

I could not find any thread for people travelling for their MBA for 2006 - 2007 so though of creating one.... Please make best use of this thread... and share your insights on UK MBA programs.

I have about 5 years of work exp 2 years teaching (university level) + 3years of IT experience with an Indian IT major...

I have got confirmed admission in 2 british business schools.
1> Lancaster
2> Strathclyde

Could some one advice on which of these schools is better and what are the positives and the negatives of each school.

Thanks in Advance

Shobhit

Hello Shobhit

I have also sent an application for MBM course of University of Strathclyde.The decision in due and excepted within 2-3 weeks.Other the that I have sent application for MBA from University of Stirling and an MBA from Newcastle Business School.
I have an unconditional offer to study MBA from Cardiff Business School.

Talking about Lancester, It is ranked amongst the best for an MBA degree but meanwhile Strathclyde university is an equally prestigious university and is often preferred because of its location in Scotland which has an advantage of fresh talent scheme.

Kindly elaborate a more of your preference of university and the course you are looking for.

Sandeep Agarwal

Hey
Hai,
Manchester-Accepted.
I am very excited about the program and have learnt that the school is planning and investing huge money in improving its rankings and also attracting many companies for interns and other stuff..
will be travelling in august 2nd week..
Let me know if you need more info...

could you guys plz elaborate on your profiles please?...will help aspirants such as self to get an idea bout what they are looking for
cheers

Cambridge-Acepted & deposit paid.
Profile:- 6.5 yrs work ex of which 4 years in a indian IT services major (2years in the US). Then a year in a fortune 500 Computer product company. Then in a product startup which was successfully sold to another fortune 500 computer products company.
All hard core engineering, no people management(except managing customers/SEs etc).

GMAT:- 710
Acads:- First class with Distinction in BE(cambridge is particular about high acads)
Extra curriculars:- company cricket teams, Mensa.

Oxford - refused the offer in favor of Cambridge

-Amit

HI,

I was planning for a career in either marketing, finance or Stratergy ... and have to chose between Lancaster or Strathclyde for pursuing the same...

As i see it the only advantage that Strathclyde has is the 2 year scotland stay and being on the HSMP.... Apart from that i feel that Lancaster is better in all regards( like ranking, student mix, brand value etc

Please let me know you comments

Shobhit

Shobhit,

Well Scotland has the HSMP but are their jobs that U are targeting in scotland? How well does Lancaster rankings translate into placements. Remember if U profile Urself with the rest of the class on paper and U appear to be on the lower side it doesnt do Ur job propsects any good.

-Amit

Cambridge-Acepted & deposit paid.
Profile:- 6.5 yrs work ex of which 4 years in a indian IT services major (2years in the US). Then a year in a fortune 500 Computer product company. Then in a product startup which was successfully sold to another fortune 500 computer products company.
All hard core engineering, no people management(except managing customers/SEs etc).

GMAT:- 710
Acads:- First class with Distinction in BE(cambridge is particular about high acads)
Extra curriculars:- company cricket teams, Mensa.

Oxford - refused the offer in favor of Cambridge

-Amit

Do you want to stick to IT concentration in your MBA ? Do you see job opportunities in the UK for MBAs in IT areas ?

Yup I want so stick in the technology arena. And I don't care if there are opportunities in the UK or not, the world is a small place.

And yeah FYI Cambridge city area has around 1000 high technology firm IT/BT. You can check my Cambridge thread for a link to PDF which gives an executive summary of the technology spectrum in Cambridge.

-Amit

Shobhit,

Well Scotland has the HSMP but are their jobs that U are targeting in scotland? How well does Lancaster rankings translate into placements. Remember if U profile Urself with the rest of the class on paper and U appear to be on the lower side it doesnt do Ur job propsects any good.

-Amit

Hi amit,

Point taken but then again i feel that the learning oppertunities that are present will be much greater in a class of people that are highly experienced ...

Could you give me some idea about the MBA programs's at Lancaster and Strathclyde.

Thanks in advance

Shobhit

Hi all,

Finally I got a thread I was searching for all along.

First about me,

Mechanical Engg. from one of the best colleges in india
2 years in IT firm, 1.5 in Indian and 6 months to date at a global firm..

I applied to a mix of unis. Scottish, Wales and the English

Got a confirm offer from Leicester.
Waiting for an offer from Stirling, they have despatched but i have no idea whether it is an admit or a reject.

so, people plzz put in ur replies as we can decide on our future.

Im from Delhi, btw.

Regards
Vishal

I hear the UK is easing up on the work permits and citizenships if you have a mba from the top 50 colleges ( in the world)... are you all planning for a UK citizenship?? and is Leicester or Cambridge in the top 50??

@ great going Amit--it's alsmost a dream run.
@ great going Vishal.

Harsh,

Cambridge is in the Top50 list. Leicester doesnt seem to be there yet.

You can see the list at
http://www.hsmp-services.co.uk/hsmp_mba_uni_list.html
or at
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/pre_budget_report/prebud_pbr04/assoc_docs/prebud_pbr04_admba.cfm

-Amit

Harsh,

Cambridge is in the Top50 list. Leicester doesnt seem to be there yet.

You can see the list at
http://www.hsmp-services.co.uk/hsmp_mba_uni_list.html
or at
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/pre_budget_report/prebud_pbr04/assoc_docs/prebud_pbr04_admba.cfm

-Amit

Do you guys know anything about the new visa/immigration scheme mentioned recently. I am still waiting to hear from Oxford and Wharton, both of which are on the HSMP program for MBA graduates. But if they are going to do away with the program sometime next year what does it mean for us.

I dont think it will end soon...
As this programme was launched to bring into lots of business leaders and management gurus into European Union..

http://europa.eu.int/growthandjobs/index_en.htm

Cheers..

http://sachinrtendulkar.blogspot.com/

Hi All,

I have got two years experience in the software field.

I've got admission to MSc in International Business in Robert Gordon Univeristy. I've also got admission to MBA in University of Stirling and Staffordshire University.
Which should I opt for? I'm a lot confused.

Any information would be helpful.

Regards,
Roseline

I'm looking at joining Vlerick. It seems to be a good college in Europe but unfortunately its not on the HSMP list. Does HSMP matter if I am able to secure a job from UK post MBA or can I still get a work permit from UK

Appreciate any idea / pointers !

Well you can still get a work permit/HSMP. But for the work permit you will need an employer to sponsor you. The advantage of the HSMP list is that you get a HSMP even if U are unemployed after Ur education.

-Amit

Hi all

How are these Business schools for MBA in Scotland

Abertay Dundee
Glasgow Caledonian University
Napier University
UWIC - Wales