MBA in Family Business [2013-15]

I was unable to find much info about this program on Pagalguy and so I would like to share my research on this: I come from a business background and would like to continue my family business. I consulted a few experienced people around and w…

I was unable to find much info about this program on Pagalguy and so I would like to share my research on this:

I come from a business background and would like to continue my family business. I consulted a few experienced people around and what they said is that, if you wanna directly hit your family business after completing your studies, you should go for this program. Else, if you go for routine MBA programs, you should take some field experience after that before continuing family business. I scored 94 in CAT'12, but I am more interested in joining family business directly and would like to learn similar concepts in MBA and so I gathered some info on this particular program. Top three B-Schools in this category are:

1] SPJain
- 8.5 tuition fee
- part time,8 days per month, 18 months in total
- intake in march and sept. forms available: http://www.spjimr.org/pgpfmb/index.asp

2] NMIMS
- approx 8-9 lac tuition fee
- (may be full time. not sure. please share info if you know)
- forms not available yet

3] Nirma
- approx 5.5 Lac
- full time, 2 yrs course
- forms not available yet

Besides these three brands, there is also a similar program conducted at EDI, gandhinagar which a 1 yr course. Welingkar, Mumbai, also has such program but the response was not so good. ISB hyderabad also started a similar program this year. IIM-B also has one year program on this, but it demands 10 yrs of work ex in business, with tuition fee of 5Lac approx and 40 days of teaching in a year.

If you got any more info on this topic, please share it here.

yaar i also want to do Management in Family Business since at the end we have to manage and expand our family empire. The major dilemma that occurs is whether to go for Regular Mba or Family Business one. Also since some colleges have part time Mba for family business but they also have certain disadvantages for outstation candidates ( i live in Ghaziabad U.P. ) and it is difficult to come every month to MUMBAI or hyderabad ( for WE , ISB , SPJ ) and then again go back after 7 days. please shed some light on NIRMA college , the pedagogy involved and the required exposure.

i am also interested in learning more about this course.....i live in kolkata....is there any institution which offers this course in kol??i'm currently pursuing b.com at st.xaviers......

Awesome post. My background is exactly the same as @gshrey.

I recommend you add the mfab program at ISB also.

Welingkar Institute also offers PGDM in Family Managed Business. This college has a great reputation for its management courses. While the college has good faculty and great exposure. They have professors across the globe interacting with their students, student exchange programs which will provide you with global exposure and a dynamic curriculum.

Hi Puys,

I am interested in doing FMB MBA.

I have done BE(IT) in 2011 from University of Mumbai & have a family business.

Have been working with Infosys since Sept 2011.

Please suggest which will be the best B-school for me among the following..

*S P Jain, Mumbai

*IIM, Bangalore..(they have stated requirement of 10 yrs work ex in own business..in my case which is not possible..but still I'm keeping that an option, as they further say..in the case of exceptionally good candidates, experience criterion can be suitably relaxed)

*NMIMS, Mumbai

*Weilinkar's, Mumbai

Also please suggest other better B-schools for this course, if any.

Please share your valuable comments.

Regards,

Santosh

Attention all 1st and 2nd generation entrepreneurs and SME owners! If you're confused about how you can lead your business, then Welingkar's Free Counseling session is the answer to your worries. Read more about this event. Free Counselling Session | Facebook