MBA in Canada VS. MBA in Australia

Hi Puys, I have been gathering a lot of information regarding the best B-schools in different Geographies and the leaving out the absolute BESTS (Ivy League and a few UK schools), I have got certain feedback on the B-schools in Canada (Rotma…

Hi Puys,

I have been gathering a lot of information regarding the best B-schools in different Geographies and the leaving out the absolute BESTS (Ivy League and a few UK schools), I have got certain feedback on the B-schools in Canada (Rotman, Ivey and Schulich) and Australia (AGSM, MBS).
Regarding ROI and Job placement stats, I got some weird pointers about Australia. Some say, getting Job is easy while the others negate. Canada has a different scenario, placement record happens to be good for these schools but the ROI is in Question.
Please keep in mind, whatever I am stating here, concerns INDIAN students ONLY. Personally, I am very much interested in trying to AGSM or MBS, but due to the scenario stated above, I am considering Canada. BTW, I am aiming for Fall 2013.
It would be very helpful if the moderators throw some light on the issue and suggest, whether Right or Wrong, which one happens to be a better choice.

Regards,
Some2609

i am also in same condition...... some countries (U.K.Canada)have top schools but job prospects are not assuring, and some countries( Singapore, Chine ,Hongkong) have 2 or 3 tier schools but job prospects are good. i am also very confused need help ..... pls Help us Exp and Helping ppl.........

BTW i my profile is

Gmat - 720 ( Q 50,V38)

8 years work Experience ( 5 years International and 3 years in India)

B.Com with Hounors(1st class) and CFA.

Regards

@prashg said:

BTW i my profile is

Gmat - 720 ( Q 50,V38)

8 years work Experience ( 5 years International and 3 years in India)

B.Com with Hounors(1st class) and CFA.

Regards

Great score n work ex dude!!.... lets c, what our friends have to say about our posts!! by the way, when did u give ur GMAT?

In july'12 , and what about yours ?

well, i m planning to give it somewhere around Mid-Nov'12. Would be really late, so would try applying for 2014 batch.

hi.. i am also in the same boat.. Initially i planned to do my MBA from US but due to visa restrictions once u r done wit ur course prompted me to rethink and also ROI is a major factor for changing my destination to Canada.

My Profile:
3yr professional Exp as finance consultant in Infy
Very Good Acads
Poor in Extracurricular activities

I am planning to take GMAT this november. BTW TOEFL/IELTS is not required for Canada since our undergraduate degree is in English.

Some2609: Have you been to any coaching institute? Which one is better PR or MR(Manhattan/Princeton Review) in case you have any idea?

oops my question on GMAT is for Prashg.. marked Some2609 by mistake

I have shortlisted following Univs

Rotman
Schulich
Desautels
Sauder
Alberta
Degroote
Calgary

Some2609: Can u share the info that you have got on Canadian B schools if you don't mind?
I have excluded one year progs like Ivey, Queens, HEC Montreal etc deliberately. Sorry if you think i am using too much space on this thread ;)

@prasad2 said: Some2609: Can u share the info that you have got on Canadian B schools if you don't mind? I have excluded one year progs like Ivey, Queens, HEC Montreal etc deliberately. Sorry if you think i am using too much space on this thread
Not a problem mate!!....
I have considered Queens, Rotman and Schulich. None apart from that.
Queens n Rotman: Pretty Expensive but have a very generous ROI. Helpful for people with work ex more than 5-6 yrs, as the programs last for a year. Bigger brands compared to others - undoubtedly. Flexibility of 3-4 months in case of Student Visa, to get a job Post MBA.
Schulich:- Less expensive, if 15 month program is considered, wherein the 1st 6 months of this program takes place in Mumbai, while the rest happens in Schulich Building, Toronto. Good ROI. Same case with the visa here as well, only difference being, the networking is much more because of the longer span of the program.

Thanks for the info.. I hope you are talking about exec mba.. Rotman also offers 2 yr ful time mba but fees is very high compared to other canadian b schools.

School name Course Fee(USD$)
Rotman 100k
Schulich 70k
Desautels 72k
Sauder 52k
Alberta 50k
Degroote 60k
Calgary 46k

BTW why is fees so low in University of Calgary? any idea on this ? Avg seems to be pretty good 90k CAD$. Is it only the location advantage that it has(fact that most companies are head quarted in calgary)?

By Avg i mean Weighted Sal over a period of time..

Should i consider the universities in the same order that i have mentioned? I am particularly intrested in 2 yr mba course

I haven't researched about Rotman, yet. But Queens does provide a 1 yr course. Schulich gives 15 months. And for all my posts, I am and will be talking about FT MBA.

Order of the universities depend on what do u want to take up post MBA. Give a comprehensive search in PG and u'll get ur queries resolved, although people have mixed reviews but u'll still get a good idea. Apart from the three schools i mentioned, i am not interested in any other school in Canada. These three are the most renowned of the entire lot and job seek becomes easier when u have any of the three posted in ur resume.
Unfortunately, there is no straight answer to this question. I have admits from top schools from both the countries. I have chosen Australia for very subjective reasons (better personal networks, better climate, better ROI and more opportunities for my wife) and will be starting my studies next January. Both countries have their share of advantages and disadvantages. Ultimately it all boils down to research and personal preference.
My profile -
IT Biz Analyst, 6.5 yrs WE
GMAT 730/6.0
@Some2609 said:
Not a problem mate!!....
I have considered Queens, Rotman and Schulich. None apart from that.
Queens n Rotman: Pretty Expensive but have a very generous ROI. Helpful for people with work ex more than 5-6 yrs, as the programs last for a year. Bigger brands compared to others - undoubtedly. Flexibility of 3-4 months in case of Student Visa, to get a job Post MBA.
Schulich:- Less expensive, if 15 month program is considered, wherein the 1st 6 months of this program takes place in Mumbai, while the rest happens in Schulich Building, Toronto. Good ROI. Same case with the visa here as well, only difference being, the networking is much more because of the longer span of the program.
Hi Some2609,
I believe that choosing a school should focus on your point on interest. If you want to be in Finance and Consulting, Rotman is pretty great. And, it is 20 months..
Schulich is $30k less than Rotman, but on plain reputation, it's not at par with it..
They are just my 2 cents...
@rahulg83 said:
Hi Some2609,
I believe that choosing a school should focus on your point on interest. If you want to be in Finance and Consulting, Rotman is pretty great. And, it is 20 months..
Schulich is $30k less than Rotman, but on plain reputation, it's not at par with it..
They are just my 2 cents...
Choosing School = Career of interest. As simple as that and very correctly stated and thanks a lot for the brief insight about the Rotman program. Will check out the website for further details. Reputation: Rotman scores. Schulich: Lot cheaper, as I have calculated. But as per Jobs go, the package post MBA surprisingly stays almost in the same range for both of these schools.