MBA from US after MBA from India

(Need Some Help) Hi, Want to have some advice from someone experienced enough regarding GMAT and MBA admissions abroad…My case could be a bit diffrnt. I am an MBA from a good enough B-school in India but have an aspiration to do MBA from some…

(Need Some Help)
Hi,
Want to have some advice from someone experienced enough regarding GMAT and MBA admissions abroad..My case could be a bit diffrnt. I am an MBA from a good enough B-school in India but have an aspiration to do MBA from some TOP global school. As of now my post (Indian) MBA work-ex is touching 2 yrs.
So can someone give his/her candid opinion in my case as to :-
1. What could be the things in favour or against my case?
2.Will a work-ex of 2 yrs (at the most 3 yrs) post MBA be good enough to secure admit to a Top B-school.
3.Will my MBA (rather PGDM)from India carry some weight on my application.
4.Will my 2 yrs of MBA from India could be considered and thus could act an equivalent to some years of work-ex??
Would appreciate if some one could give a detaild insight in to this.
Thnx

I am not experienced enuf but my 2 cents: -

1. In Favor: Your better know how of the business world and jargons.
Against: You are already an MBA.

2. Can be good enough but depends on how you project it in your essays and then in the Interviews.

3. No. But it can carry some weight if you justify that it was only a step towards career advancement and you were always keen about pursuing a full fledged MBA from a top B-School.

4. Again No.. However some of the activities you undertook at your school can be used to add spice to your essays.

However I do not think an MBA from US B School does make sense if you are well settled here unless off course you want to settle down in US..

If you plan to come back to India, a US MBA does not make sense.

Thnx Subodh for sharing that.

well yes i do want to settle out of India and moreover want to change to Finance currently in IT -Functional Consulting (Supply Chain) and well you ve rightly said that things depend a lot on how i project them in my application.essays and interviews. But see my doubt is that if i werent an MBA i wud have had a work-ex of about 4 yrs by now which would have definitely carried a lot of weight on my application.

But now after the 2 yrs of MBA spent here in India i wud get a work -ex of at the most 3yrs by the time i make applications (that is sort of what my plans are) So will that play a spoilsport compared to other applications (of 4+ yrs of work-ex) in say about the same age-group as mine??

Hi,

To answer your question, I also have a similar profile as yours except for the fact that my experience is close to 6 years. But unfortunately I do not have great news to share with you.

A prior MBA if at all would make it difficult for you ar at best be a neutral thing than create a positive impact, because B-schools abroad view it as a case of unclear career progression and goals.

While some schools in US like Tuck clearly have a entry barrier for 2nd MBA , many others don't put any such restriction but the essential thing is to very very clearly justify the logic of a 2nd MBA. As far as you experience is concerned, for US B-schools 3-4 years might be okay but euorpean B schools tend to have higher average experience profiles (around 6-7 years)..

( I have been searching for a list of schools which don't permit a 2nd MBA, but have been unsuccesful up till now)

More than the number of ears your admit would be based on the quality of your experience and degree to which you have succeeded in those years and a linkage with what is that you think you will gain if you do it again.

Havind said this, lot of Indian students do take a shot at prominent global B-schools. In fact lot of IIM grads do ot again and I think they leverage the experience that they have for their second MBA. For example one guy was with Unilever at London for 6 years after graduating from IIMA when we went on to do his 2nd MBA from Stanford/Wharton.

Hope I have answered you,

Regards

But see my doubt is that if i werent an MBA i wud have had a work-ex of about 4 yrs by now which would have definitely carried a lot of weight on my application.

But now after the 2 yrs of MBA spent here in India i wud get a work -ex of at the most 3yrs by the time i make applications (that is sort of what my plans are) So will that play a spoilsport compared to other applications (of 4+ yrs of work-ex) in say about the same age-group as mine??

Well you are comparing two different kinds of work-ex altogether.

A guy who might have 4 years work-ex (without MBA) may have an edge over you if he has succeeded in working at the same position without an MBA at which you are currently working.

But if not the onus is on you to prove that the position is of great responsibility and your 2 years deserve more attention than a person who has 5-6 years.

Don't woory you are not alone in trying to go for a second MBA. Many ppl in the past have done that. Indra Nooyi is an example IIMC -> Yale -> BCG.

In fact, in the past when there were close to 100% freshers in IIMs it was a norm to go for 2nd MBA if u want to go to USA. Now however with Int'l placements rising through the roof in IIMs and %age of Work-Ex people increasing, IIM passouts do not need to tread this beaten track. They can straightaway command the positions of responsibilities that an H/S/W/K guy commands.

All said and done, an Int'l MBA still has its own charms and advantages..

herez a list....

MBA Programs for Second MBA Applicants

hey guys...thanx for all the important info u have put up.......i have a doubt tho.......i had completed my pgdbm in a decent but not the best b school in india...i am closing in on 4 years work ex............but now i wud like to think of a us mba or an iim pgpx course......or the other one year mbas offered around in india ( glakes, isb ) ....so do u guys think...the indian 1 year mbas wud take a person with a prior mba............its probably due to the fact that my placement wasn all dat gr8....i want a better career progression.......................plz solve this doubt for me...........
thanx in advance
vikram

i wud suggest u try 4 mba in US
am not sure how helpful is it to get a double mba from india

While some schools in US like Tuck clearly have a entry barrier for 2nd MBA , many others don't put any such restriction but the essential thing is to very very clearly justify the logic of a 2nd MBA. As far as you experience is concerned, for US B-schools 3-4 years might be okay but euorpean B schools tend to have higher average experience profiles (around 6-7 years)..

( I have been searching for a list of schools which don't permit a 2nd MBA, but have been unsuccesful up till now)

This is what I have found from Tuck's website.

Can I apply to Tuck if I already hold an MBA from another school or country?
Tuck will not accept applications from individuals who have already earned an MBA. If you hold a similar graduate degree, but not an MBA, from another country, we will consider your application; however, you must provide us with an additional essay explaining why you need an MBA in addition to your current degree.