MBA from JBIMS after MS and 2 years US Experience

*To all JBIMS Alumni Please comment on my problem. I did BE in computers from Mumbai. Then went to USA to get MS in Computers/Information Systems. After that, I have 1 year job experience in US as a software engineer. I am returning…

To all JBIMS Alumni

Please comment on my problem.

I did BE in computers from Mumbai. Then went to USA to get MS in Computers/Information Systems. After that, I have 1 year job experience in US as a software engineer.

I am returning to mumbai for good by end of next year.

I am preparing for Maharashtra MBA CET, while working here in USA.
My focus is only
JBIMS. (Bajaj-Mumbai).
(May be SP Jain, but it requires CAT, and am not planning CAT atall.)

The reason being I can not leave mumbai (for family reasons).

Here are my questions for you all:

1) I think, my MS + 2 years US experience will get me a good job in mumbai paying around 5 lakh , may be 6 lakh if i am lucky. (this is an assumption, any ideas?).

Is MBA from JBIMS going to make any difference in my salary after 2 years?
(considering the promotions, salary raise that i may get during those 2 years)

2) I think i will get a real good lateral placement with MS + 2 yrs exp, if I chose IT sequence at JBIMS.
But I have already taken most of the courses in their IT stream, during my MS .
So I was thinking of Finance stream, to learn new stuff, and i find it intersting too.
Will this switching hamper my salary/ job prospects after MBA ?

thanks.

note:

1) can not and will not leave mumbai for job/IIMs etc.
2) Only focus is JBIMS
3) MS + 2 years US job experience in software
4) Very Good acads, awards etc.
5) MBA finance from JBIMS or MBA IT ?

I understand you are in a dilemma, but that does not mean you open up a new thread for every query that you've got....And from the looks of it, most are highly speculative (if thats the right word!) ...In case you've spent some time going thro' some of the threads on the forum, you could very well have landed directly at the thread that discusses JBIMS....You could then have pm'ed one of the students there...

Cheers

ps: plz do not post entire posts in bold !! and do not open multiple threads for same topic in different sections !!!

Hi,

This is Jamil Ansari from MMS-II, JBIMS.

Will try and answer some of your questions

1) I think, my MS + 2 years US experience will get me a good job in mumbai paying around 5 lakh , may be 6 lakh if i am lucky. (this is an assumption, any ideas?).

U r Assuming 6 Lpa right now which i think will go up to 7.5-8 lpa at the end of two years (taking a reasonable 12-15% Growth)

Now with your kind of experience i am very sure that u will end up with a much better package after your 2 years in BAJAJ.

Coz i have seen this in my Seniors placements that People with Quality workex are adequately compensated by the Companies and definitely with ur US workex u will sure get a plum deal.-------- So do not worry about that

But the real icing on the cake will be the drastic change in ur work profile even if u wish to continue to be in IT. I wont be surprised if u r picked up as a "Senior Consultant / Consultant" by any of the IT biggies.

The point here is that since JBIMS do not have as many people who qualify for lateral placements (due to an addmission procedure which does not give adequate weightage to workex) that u do not here much abt Lateral placements @ JB, but u can be rest assured that who ever qualifies for a Lateral Placement does get and one with a salary which is at a substantial premium to his/her fresher mates.

2) I think i will get a real good lateral placement with MS + 2 yrs exp, if I chose IT sequence at JBIMS.
So I was thinking of Finance stream, to learn new stuff, and i find it intersting too.

Now thats something that u have to decide

But yes being an BE IT myself even i felt that an MBA in Systems will be somewhat redundant since we have already learnt most of the IT related subjects in graduation itself

Also most of the people having previous IT education or It experience Pursue their MBA from a stream other than Systems to braoden their Career Paths, so u can think on those lines

However do not worry about that as you will have full 1 year even after joining JB to decide on ur Specialization

Ok thats it from my side

However we do have one of our Batchmate who is

BE from an REC
+ MS from US
+ 3 Years of Work ex
+ CFA level 2
+ Summers in ICICI bank (Finance)

and now majoring in Marketing

And to add to it He is also a PGite tough a bit dormant these days

Will convey ur query to him and ask him to post his views, however this will take a day or two

But u have missed out on the bigger issue

Will u make it to JBIMS

Assuming u r an Open Category Mumbai Univ Stud
U have 42 seats for this category in JBIMS
With 15000 people of this category taking the test this time

the Students:Seats ratio is more than 350:1

So first concentrate on Cracking JB and be rest assured that u will be adequately compensated for ur efforts

Best of Luck from my side

Regards,
Jamil

PS: Please abide by Pagalguy rules as mentioned by Subbu (urmad) in the above post

I knew this was coming :)

Well, the only reason for posting same question twice was because, I was not sure if it was a question for "Alumni" or for "Career Discussion".
I too hate opening multiple threads for same topic in different sections.

About going through old threads, I have spent last 3 days (15-16 hours) reading as much as possible, and this forum is just awesome. It's been a great help. (Including all JBIMS threads, especially all comments from Jamil)
I was not sure if anyone would reply for my IMs.

I understand that as a moderator, why you are so bugged, but finally i guess this forum is for helping everone....people like me......even if the questions are "highly speculative" !!

I understand you are in a dilemma, but that does not mean you open up a new thread for every query that you've got....And from the looks of it, most are highly speculative (if thats the right word!) ...In case you've spent some time going thro' some of the threads on the forum, you could very well have landed directly at the thread that discusses JBIMS....You could then have pm'ed one of the students there...

Cheers

ps: plz do not post entire posts in bold !! and do not open multiple threads for same topic in different sections !!!

Thanks a lot Jamil

I have read most of your posts on PG, and they have been real helpful.

You post was real great.

What specialization have you chosen? and Why? (just curious, you dont need to answer the why)

Did you work after BE IT , before joining JBIMS?

Also, I read about the 42 seats for open catagory for JBIMS, and understand that its really difficult.
But i wanted to check why I should be doing it, before thinking of how to it :)

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

This is Jamil Ansari from MMS-II, JBIMS.

Will try and answer some of your questions

U r Assuming 6 Lpa right now which i think will go up to 7.5-8 lpa at the end of two years (taking a reasonable 12-15% Growth)

Now with your kind of experience i am very sure that u will end up with a much better package after your 2 years in BAJAJ.

Coz i have seen this in my Seniors placements that People with Quality workex are adequately compensated by the Companies and definitely with ur US workex u will sure get a plum deal.-------- So do not worry about that

But the real icing on the cake will be the drastic change in ur work profile even if u wish to continue to be in IT. I wont be surprised if u r picked up as a "Senior Consultant / Consultant" by any of the IT biggies.

The point here is that since JBIMS do not have as many people who qualify for lateral placements (due to an addmission procedure which does not give adequate weightage to workex) that u do not here much abt Lateral placements @ JB, but u can be rest assured that who ever qualifies for a Lateral Placement does get and one with a salary which is at a substantial premium to his/her fresher mates.

Now thats something that u have to decide

But yes being an BE IT myself even i felt that an MBA in Systems will be somewhat redundant since we have already learnt most of the IT related subjects in graduation itself

Also most of the people having previous IT education or It experience Pursue their MBA from a stream other than Systems to braoden their Career Paths, so u can think on those lines

However do not worry about that as you will have full 1 year even after joining JB to decide on ur Specialization

Ok thats it from my side

However we do have one of our Batchmate who is

BE from an REC
+ MS from US
+ 3 Years of Work ex
+ CFA level 2
+ Summers in ICICI bank (Finance)

and now majoring in Marketing

And to add to it He is also a PGite tough a bit dormant these days

Will convey ur query to him and ask him to post his views, however this will take a day or two

But u have missed out on the bigger issue

Will u make it to JBIMS

Assuming u r an Open Category Mumbai Univ Stud
U have 42 seats for this category in JBIMS
With 15000 people of this category taking the test this time

the Students:Seats ratio is more than 350:1

So first concentrate on Cracking JB and be rest assured that u will be adequately compensated for ur efforts

Best of Luck from my side

Regards,
Jamil

PS: Please abide by Pagalguy rules as mentioned by Subbu (urmad) in the above post

And adding to what subbu said, asking the same question risks you being redudant and (consequently) people taking you less seriously :)

Arun