mba for dentists?

Hi, I am a dentist with 6 yrs exp. looking for an MBA abroad, mainly for a career change. I may have a chance in the top tier(30) schools, though I haven’t taken the GMAT yet. But I have heard that although schools may take people like m…

Hi,

I am a dentist with 6 yrs exp. looking for an MBA abroad, mainly for a career change. I may have a chance in the top tier(30) schools, though I haven't taken the GMAT yet.

But I have heard that although schools may take people like me to make their class 'representative', it is in the job market that the problem arises. It is not just the MBA that counts but your previous industry experience. So hard core finance and marketing guys may 'kill' me and my grades during the school, and later during recruiting too I will only have a slim chance. And add to that the rush to find an H1 sponsor.

I have been suggested to go for Hospital/Health Magt. fields if at all I want to go for an MBA. But honestly I would rather not be limited to medical field, though initially I don't mind working there.

Any input would be appreciated.

For this advice i hope i get one free session for my teeth... haha!!!

You will have a tough time getting a non health services job after the MBA abroad esp if done in a non top 15er... It might be better to do an MBA here from IIM ABC if u can make it...
But do you know that a dentist makes a hell of a lot of money in the US! They are the top of the charts.... higher than GPs... etc... This MBA is super overrated trust me... The average Dentist out scores the avg MBA easily atleast in the US. Remember the americans eat all the junk in the world and are very particular of how they look, the dentist is set for life... gone fishing...

The MBA doesnt teach u how to do business, thats a skill that one can learn and is better learned on your own...
An MBA is just a standard design factory for entry into Consulting and Finance and is ofcourse a pickup joint for all kinds of jobs... You should go in if the above interest you. For Finance, the CFA in the US is also highly respected...

Unless done from a top 10-15 MBA school, it would be slightly more risky in your case... But u could find it easier to enter Health related jobs even after the normal MBA there... Ofcourse if you show raw smarts almost any job can be had in the US... So its your call...

K

hi dr..
am new to this website...i am a dentist..n now i want to do mba....am curious what is the success rate for a dentist following mba....do they get employed..its the personal dissatisfication in this field dat has lead to this decision..any suggestion would be welcome...hvnt had any practice following the completion of my UG...its been 2yrs.....im interested in HR....can anyone help me as am clueless...

Hi
please give me college list for MBA in health/hospital managment in india, there process & basic qualification.