MBA@Durham Business School

Hi All, Can anyone throw some light on Durham Business School, University of Durham? How good is it in terms of employability after graduation? I think it may not be very hard to get into this school with two years of work experience and a gā€¦

Hi All,
Can anyone throw some light on Durham Business School, University of Durham? How good is it in terms of employability after graduation?
I think it may not be very hard to get into this school with two years of work experience and a good GMAT coupled with strong essays.
How good are the job prospects and how is MBA at Durham Business School regarded in terms of brand recall in the UK?
I appreciate your help in this.
Regards,
Shashi.
-----------

Dont waste your time and money on this. If you want to go back to your family business and they give you substantial schol then you *can*think. It is not known outside Durham, NC let alone UK. There is only one school in Durham that casts a much wider shadow than anyone else thinks - Fuqua Business School (Duke University) šŸ˜ƒ

Hi kgkid,

I think you are talking about Durham County, NC.??: Well I was asking about University of Durham business school(third oldest university in the UK) which is in the UK. I'd like top get a scoop on this school.:)

Thanks

Hi kgkid,

I think you are talking about Durham County, NC.??: Well I was asking about University of Durham business school(third oldest university in the UK) which is in the UK. I'd like top get a scoop on this school.:)

Thanks

Jeez! my bad. I am sorry. I usually know the names of good b-schools. If your bschool is not in top 100 in FT or whatever rank then concentrate your effort on ISB/ AIM/ NUS. You are young and those would give much better opportunity. Even INSEAD in singapore. With the latest buzz going in UK, stay away from those institutes unless you want to go back to work in your family business. This is my honest opinion. You have lots of potential than you think you have.

I agree with Kgkid,

Don't know much about the Durham school, but a couple of my friends have had difficulty getting a post MBA job in the UK. UK as i hear is not so friendly in terms of Post MBA Job placement for international as the other regions are.

Some had family business here in India and came back but one of them was strayed for a year, finally came back to india for good.

And then as you say you have a good GMAT, strong essays and 2 years work ex- they why not target well known schools. Manchester or Oxford ( Said ). Right ?Why waste the future. concentrate on ISB/AIM/NUS as Kgkid says. They'll offer better ROI.

Completely agree with kgkid and inblue. Don't be in a hurry. You may regret it later.

Just do more research. You can make it to a decently well-known school with decent job prospects if you put in minimal effort too.

Hi kgkid, inblue and susie. Thanks for your wonderful suggestions.
My family is not into business and infact I hail from a very middle class family. I can't go out and take wild risks. You read my mind here. The confusion in deciding to go for an MBA early or later in life is tearing me apart.
My Profile:
B.Tech/M.Tech. Bad academic performance in undergrad but a very good performance in my post grad.
Work ex:18 months
GMAT:690 (would like to take the test again and cross 700)
Good extra curriculars, worked as the secretary of the mag comm in school and college, did some volunteering, fantastic recos and testimonials from my boss who happens to be the VP here.
I think i should wait before I take a plunge. I know it's a stupid question but do i stand a good chance of making it to schools like manchester and Said or schools like Emory in the US. How good are ESADE and IESE. I think they are too regional and costly.
As you said, I think i should wait for two more years and target some good schools. What do you say?

Gunner.
Invest this time in knowing yourself well. what do you want 15 years hence, 10 years hence, 5 years hence. Think why you want you MBA ? Once you get your goals clear, the schools will form easily.

We all think we can't make it to top schools, because we THINK so.
The one thing you need to do is believe and work your apps. All the best.

Wait for 2 years, 1 year whatever time it takes you to get ready. Give your best to the app, do your best !

Gunner.
Invest this time in knowing yourself well. what do you want 15 years hence, 10 years hence, 5 years hence. Think why you want you MBA ? Once you get your goals clear, the schools will form easily.

We all think we can't make it to top schools, because we THINK so.
The one thing you need to do is believe and work your apps. All the best.

Wait for 2 years, 1 year whatever time it takes you to get read. Give your best to the app, do your best !

Thanks inblue for your encouraging words. BTW, Do you know anything about ESADE business school?
Hi kgkid, inblue and susie. Thanks for your wonderful suggestions.
My family is not into business and infact I hail from a very middle class family. I can't go out and take wild risks. You read my mind here. The confusion in deciding to go for an MBA early or later in life is tearing me apart.
My Profile:
B.Tech/M.Tech. Bad academic performance in undergrad but a very good performance in my post grad.
Work ex:18 months
GMAT:690 (would like to take the test again and cross 700)
Good extra curriculars, worked as the secretary of the mag comm in school and college, did some volunteering, fantastic recos and testimonials from my boss who happens to be the VP here.
I think i should wait before I take a plunge. I know it's a stupid question but do i stand a good chance of making it to schools like manchester and Said or schools like Emory in the US. How good are ESADE and IESE. I think they are too regional and costly.
As you said, I think i should wait for two more years and target some good schools. What do you say?

Take my word, but you have a good chance at Top 10 in US. Just be determined. Give another year, but go around and talk to people.

You have two fantastic people here on this thread - Inblue (Chicago GSB) and SusieDerkins (Ross). Seek their advice. Read some stickies here on PG. Read Ask Sandy thread on BW forum. Research and i am sure you will end up getting schols at Emory.

We indians tend to take MBA as just another degree. Ask yourself seriously why you want an MBA? Is it because of more money (of course!) but what about being in a batch consisting of people from more than 50 countries. Networking is a big draw for me. If i want to work in Brazil for an experience, I would get lotz of folks from my batch and business who work in those countries.

You have to be clear about one thing at the outset about an MBA abroad. You will NOT be spoon-fed a job unlike in the indian schools. You have to network and speak to as many people to create opportunity. It is mini-enterpreneurship in itself. It is a big risk but rewards are bigger. Much bigger than what the graduates from Indian schools anticipate.
Some people find it strange on the concept of networking for jobs. Internationals with strong culture (such as Indians) typically struggle at networking with people from completely different backgrounds, culture, looks, accents, etc. But, isnt having a global education about actually interacting with an international audience with as much fervor as you are interacting within your family. The more responsibilities you take in your future (MBA or not), more you would deal with people. Some people piss you off, some people show-off, some people are really humble, some people are nerds, some people are all show not content, some people are whizkids, some people are excellent communicators, etc. If you want to do business, as world becomes more flatter, you have to deal with this.

Ok lots of gyan. Now some actions for you. Concentrate on top 10 and next year give me the good news! Try for the best. You will do it only once then why not give it the best shot. People from top schools are not God-where-they-come-from people, they are humans just like you and me.
Thanks kgkid for your encouraging words. Yes I agree with you on the networking front. Since this is going to be my last academic pursuit I want to get some quality education and not a degree. I know it's a cliche but i mean it seriously. I want it to be an enriching experience. I think this is the whole essence of doing an MBA abroad. We are together in this.

Yes you are absolutely right in saying that job prospects depend a lot on one's networking abilities. I got to where I am because of my reasonably good networking skills. Otherwise with my credentials, I would have been cracking lines of code sitting in front of a comp listening to the incessant AC buzzing. Thank god i'm not doing that.:)

I found this place(pagalguy) to be incredibly good and would keep myself updated by reading other posts as well. Yes would look forward to all your help in the coming days. I am new to PG and am just getting used to it. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

BTW, Are you attending ne business school now?

ESADE-- GOOGLE , GOOGLE..
Kgkid is a Duke admit this year. Get his words too. šŸ˜ƒ

gunner83 Says
Otherwise with my credentials, I would have been cracking lines of code sitting in front of a comp listening to the incessant AC buzzing. Thank god i'm not doing that.:)

Dont say this dude...PG is full of people doing that everyday! You might hurt their sentiments..:)

BTW, Are you attending ne business school now?

Why do you think i was boasting about Duke so much

Yes, I am an admit for the Class of 2009.
Entrepreneur07 Says
Dont say this dude...PG is full of people doing that everyday! You might hurt their sentiments..:)

ha ha ha! I know that. Even i've done that for some time and know how stressful and irking it can get at times. I couldn't take it for long and i made a switch very early. I am glad that i'm not doing that anymore. But there are a few friends of mine who really enjoy programming. Nothing against programmers or IT pro's. No offence intended.:)
Why do you think i was boasting about Duke so much

Yes, I am an admit for the Class of 2009.

kgkid! congrats on your admit dude!
I've heard that Duke is known for it wonderful and inclusive community apart from its academic excellence. Also coastal North Carolina as i hear is one of the most beautiful places in North America. Have fun and keep us updated about your Fuqua experience.
way to go dude!:thumbsup: