MBA by GRE

Hi all, I have 170/170 verbal and 169/170 quant on GRE. AWA and TOEFL score are not yet out. *Please suggest B-schools in US where I might get >50% scholarship/tuition waiver.*I have 1.5 years of workex with ZS Associates (consulting) 8…

Hi all,

I have 170/170 verbal and 169/170 quant on GRE. AWA and TOEFL score are not yet out.
Please suggest B-schools in US where I might get >50% scholarship/tuition waiver.
I have 1.5 years of workex with ZS Associates (consulting) 8.9/10 GPA from NIT Nagpur (B.tech Electronics and Communication)

I am not shooting very high, I would prefer good funding over ranking. So no stanford/Berkeley/Ivy stuff.. any decent school ranking 10-25 will do..

Specifically if anyone knows instances where someone with high GRE got full funding admits it will be great, I can contact such people for tips.

@asantusht_aatma ETS tool shows my converted "GMAT" score as 790

Are you serious ?? 😲 :O

You have scored 339 out of 340 in GRE. 😲 :O
@asantusht_aatma said:
@asantusht_aatma ETS tool shows my converted "GMAT" score as 790
790 ? :O

Is this Fake or What ? :(

No buddy.. I'm dead serious. That was the score shown to me when my GRE was over. I stared at the screen for full 10 minutes.

Wouldn't waste people's time like this!

And I'll definitely help out people with questions on how to score well in GRE, but I need to get my applications sorted out first. Early application deadline for many b-schools is already past, I have to hurry up to make it by 2nd deadline.

Bounce!

Can you help me with GRE? I am also in the same boat of "MBA by GRE". It would be great if you share some info.

@saketgupta U need help with GRE? Sure..
But if u haven't taken it already I assume u rnt applying coming fall.. I'll write a comprehensive article once my applications are done (sometime in jan 2nd week). Till then i'm super busy!

Bounce!

@asantusht_aatma People.. HELP! time running out for me :(
@asantusht_aatma said:
@saketgupta U need help with GRE? Sure..But if u haven't taken it already I assume u rnt applying coming fall.. I'll write a comprehensive article once my applications are done (sometime in jan 2nd week). Till then i'm super busy!
Hi,
Will you share your GRE prep startegy with prep materials?
@saketgupta
@Rajasekaragri

As I promised -

IMO GRE is more of a stamina test than IQ/skills test. Most important thing about new GRE is that multiple answers can be correct (watch out for square v/s oval answer choices). So when u prep for verbal section, its not enough to know why choice A is correct. U must also be able to justify why B,C,D,E are wrong. Just keep this mindset and u should sail thru.

I was decently prepared for CAT and there was 1 in hand month for GRE so didn't take coaching or solve a lot of material

Verbal - Don't use material by any Indian authors. I used
1. Kaplan verbal workbook - this stuff is too good. answer choices are explained in detail. Word list is abridged but that's fine. I actually dropped the author a thank you email :)
2. Barron's 6 practice tests - good practice, some sets are slightly tougher than GRE so it prepares u for the 2nd section which adapts as per ur performance in 1st section (assuming that ur good). Dont let that de-moralize u. Only drawback is lack of detailed explanation of answers.
3. Official ETS material - only this can giv u a sense of the real thing. Take it 1 week b4 actual GRE.
4. I signed up for IMS test material (which was OK but in retrospect princeton/kaplan primer could have been a better choice. On the plus side their CD gave me a good practice on reading passages on screen)
I also tried a website called tcyonline.com (it SUCKS, don't waste ur money)

Vocabulary - No need to mug up entire old Barron's list. Finish Kaplan and if time permits go for old Barron's.
If ur bad at vocab start with word power made easy (but that book itself will not be enuf 4 GRE, just a starting point)

Quant - Just practice a few sets keeping a mindset similar to "board exams" (in which u typically have 3hrs, 100Qs and u need to get them ALL correct).
People tend to miss out preparing 4 data interpretation and probability, just read it from official GRE guide.

AWA - I got only 4.0 so can't give good advice on this

Test taking -
Every mock test in the market prepares u for 2 essay+2Quant+2verbal sections. IMO this is a bad way to prepare cuz actual GRE has 1 extra set so it tests ur stamina more. So when u take ur mocks, take them "1 and a half test" at a time. Take 2 essays, 2Qs, 2Vs plus 1Q/1V extra. This will build ur "stamina" for actual GRE. Take my word for it.

assume that 1 wrong answer will cost u 2 points. so aim to get less than 2 Qs wrong in math and less than 4Qs wrong in verbal as u practice. this level of prep will land u with atleast 166Q+162V which is good enough for any university.

In verbal take on "fill in the blanks" first, my strategy was to finish them in first ~8 mins. I made liberal use of the back/forward/bookmark buttons.
In quant, don't doze off in the test 😉 nothing more to say. it kept me away from perfect 340 by 1 point :(

Hope this helps. May the force be with u \m/
@asantusht_aatma Hey Buddy,
Being a current student at RPI - Lally school of management, I believe they will be able to give you a good scholarship. But my advise is that, this school would give you a good foundation for looking into the CTO/CIO track and in addition to that you have some good courses in entrepreneurship as well. Let me know if you have any questions

Blog on Study Abroad

Looking for destinations to Study Abroad? Access our blog on study abroad and post all your queries there.To access the blog click here: http://blog.manyagroup.com/index.html?url=Study-abroad

www.manyagroup.com

Selling off my Magoosh account - Validity for 6 months

Contact me at [email protected]

Shortlist and Interact with the Top Universities from US One-on-One on the PaGaLGuY Android App.  Register for the Edu Fair by Following this group. If any queries post here...  https://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/international-edufair-19-21st-nov16-46994915 

New Cambridge College, One of the Leading Coaching Centers Offers Best GRE Coaching, GMAT Coaching, SAT Coaching, TOEFL Coaching, IELTS Coaching and other courses

We have excellent staff passionately teaching and mentoring 100's of students.  Visit: http://www.newcambridgecollege.com/