MBA after MBBS

Hello all, This is my first message in the community. And I am straight away asking for help in the form of advice. I am a final year MBBS student (Delhi) and would like to know what are the avenues if I pursue an MBA after this. I wou…

Hello all,
This is my first message in the community. And I am straight away asking for help in the form of advice.

I am a final year MBBS student (Delhi) and would like to know what are the avenues if I pursue an MBA after this.

I would be great if any of you could give me any information on this. If you happen to be / know any such MBBS-MBA combo, I would really appreciate if I can have a talk with such a person.

Thanks and regards,
Appi

hi,

In reply to ur post i would like to ask u what are u interested in? Do u want to be doctor or an administrator. There is no problem in doing MBA after ur MBBS. I have heard quite a few who have done it. I think u mostly get placed in Hospital Administration Dept. But then do u really want to administer after studying five years for MBBS? Of course, it doesnt mean that u wud not be using ur knowledge gained in MBBS, but i doubt whether u will really get down to caring for people (I am assuming thats the reasonu did MBBS, is it?). Anyways wait for more knowledgable people than me to share their views. My personal opinion is that u should do whatever u are interested in?

Thanks for the feedback.

Frankly I believe that most people do not have the required information when they plan to choose their streams, esp. in class 11th. It was just a case of choosing Bio over Maths , and choosing 1 of the 2 main streams (sorry for being a little blunt, but i guess this is what the case is practically) - i chose medicine over engineering.
I am not a bad student in class and I am sure if i manage to continue, I will be a good , rich doctor. But somewhere down the line, over the last 4 years I have realised that this is not a very clean profession (though i understand that no profession is completely clean) and personally i feel the fire in me to be a practicing doctor is diminishing.
I have not completely ruled out any option, just that I am looking for any other avenues. And hence for your advice.

Regards.

from my experience i feel that disillusionment generally comes after a couple of years in a job, but since if u have started having the feeling during ur studies itself, i feel that u really want to make a change.
mba is a good option if u want to change ur career but before jumping into anything u should think over carefully.u have realised that u DONT want to become a doctor. i feel that this is not enough to go for mba. u have to sit and think and look into ur heart what u DO want to become.u should do an mba because u want to do it and not because u dont want to do smthg else.
as far as mba after mbbs is concerned,afaik there are no rules barring one from doing mba after mbbs, ppl even write gre after mbbs.

Actually i did Engineering for exactly the same reason as appi. i am in the stage where PKDIPS was telling about although this is the 9th month in my job at present. The problem arises when u want to change over but do not know what to change over to. I agree with pkdips completely that a person should not change over just coz one hates something. Here the same problem may arise that u may get bored with it or disillusioned within a feqw days. So, even if u feel pressurised from any quarter just take some time and do some soul-searching. I have always found sitting down and writing about the pros and cons helps a lot. Try it out if u want to.

There is always a chance that u mite still not find any stream that interests u. Then in my opinion M.B.A is a good compromise.

Hi Appi,

We have a doctor among us at IIM Bangalore.

Right now he is interning with TAS and is based in Mumbai.

I have PMed you his email address.

Get in touch with him. It may be useful for you.

Regards
Mohit

So, even if u feel pressurised from any quarter just take some time and do some soul-searching. I have always found sitting down and writing about the pros and cons helps a lot. Try it out if u want to.

yes even i can say from experience that writing it down helps a lot.u can think a lot based on how versatile ur imagination is...but then when u begin putting it down on paper, reality hits u in black and white.i had this dilemma this year when i was undecided about whether to join mdi or not(in fact whether to do mba now when i have 2 years work ex, or a couple of years down the line when my priorities will be more clear and i wont have to sit and ponder about joining a college).i wrote down the pros and cons and realised that some of them cancel out each other..and i realised this clearly only after writing it down...finally i have decided to join.

ATB to u...

There is always a chance that u mite still not find any stream that interests u. Then in my opinion M.B.A is a good compromise.

no i dont really believe that u mite not find any stream that interests u. every heart yearns for smthg, its up to us to find it out....dont ever compromise in ur life(unless it is for a cause more important to u) otherwise u will end up making it a habit..

lots of gyaan from my side......

did we do mech to repair Acs and B. Coms to fill account books!
there is a role at every level in health care, whether it is policy making, planning, manufaturing, research and delivery. why restrict yourself to the last? am a doc headed to A. no, i didnt do medicine to serve people, i did it because i liked the subject. i could have been a social worker if i wanted to, but thats not the case. different strokes for different folks!

most people get posted in pharma, biotech, insurance. hell, i know a doc who is an analyst at PWC (from IIMA). doctors are good at problem analysis, put them anywhere!!

cheers!

hi,

In reply to ur post i would like to ask u what are u interested in? Do u want to be doctor or an administrator. There is no problem in doing MBA after ur MBBS. I have heard quite a few who have done it. I think u mostly get placed in Hospital Administration Dept. But then do u really want to administer after studying five years for MBBS? Of course, it doesnt mean that u wud not be using ur knowledge gained in MBBS, but i doubt whether u will really get down to caring for people (I am assuming thats the reasonu did MBBS, is it?). Anyways wait for more knowledgable people than me to share their views. My personal opinion is that u should do whatever u are interested in?
MDI, Tapmi, XIMB and KJSom have a Doc in their batch of 2005 - 2007. Apart from the one in IIM B, there are Doc's in FMS and MDI in the batch of 2006.

This Tapmi guy is a friend of mine and a member of PG, (Yourbuddydoc). I can give you his email ID and mob number, if you are interested, PM me. And he's planning to visit Delhi, most prolly next week.

Check out this thread http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/doctors-25004118 . Dr. Ashima will definitely be helpful for you, I think. Another one is drcat, whois preparing for MBA abroad, another friend of mine. The most active Doc now a days is drmj, who is Dr. Javed from Gujrat.

Man, whatever you do, you're never alone !!

Rick.

d doc who got into ximb is a very good friend of mine..
dr. javed..
his id is drmj at PG..
u can contact him, hes a nice person and wil help u surely in every way possible..

Hello people.....Wanted to know if there's anything in store for Dentistry grads. in an M.B.A. degree.....A friend of mine is keen on knowing.....

Thanks for you time......

See, when I say Doctor, I mean 'Doctor' !! No matter MBBS, BDS, Vet, Ayur or Homeo. So, no special words for your friend indapamod.
You people may go through this article by Rashmi Bansal, published in Rediff, which includes:
....why not? If 17-year olds who joined engineering can later realise this isn't what they want to do for the rest of their lives, the 17-year olds who similarly opted for medicine should be free to make the same choice.
Rick.

Hey rxn911....thanks for the quick reply.....I've already mailed this thread's url to my friend, hoping to clarify all the doubts personally.....Thanks again.....TC

See, when I say Doctor, I mean 'Doctor' !! No matter MBBS, BDS, Vet, Ayur or Homeo. So, no special words for your friend indapamod.
You people may go through this article by Rashmi Bansal, published in Rediff, which includes:
....why not? If 17-year olds who joined engineering can later realise this isn't what they want to do for the rest of their lives, the 17-year olds who similarly opted for medicine should be free to make the same choice.
Rick.

If you want an MBA then go for IIMs only because this is the only place where you can get a job.
Sorry to say but the Math part in MBA will test you!

Hello all,
This is my first message in the community. And I am straight away asking for help in the form of advice.

I am a final year MBBS student (Delhi) and would like to know what are the avenues if I pursue an MBA after this.

I would be great if any of you could give me any information on this. If you happen to be / know any such MBBS-MBA combo, I would really appreciate if I can have a talk with such a person.

Thanks and regards,
Appi

hey dude,
I don;'t hink u need anyone else to tell u what are ur prospects after an MBA..!! thats there for everyone to see...!! But yes be very clear why u want to do an MBA..!!

Are u looking for a change of job, and don't like it here as a doctor, so u r changing or do u really want to do an MBA and see urself at the helm of afairs as a manager, managing in some biotech firm..?? That's the main question u have to ask urself..!!

And after u decide that u r gonna go for an MBA, go to the IIMs(As they say, nothing shines better than a diamond..!!)

All the best for ur prep..!!
hey dude,

I don;'t hink u need anyone else to tell u what are ur prospects after an MBA..!! thats there for everyone to see...!! But yes be very clear why u want to do an MBA..!!
Its a kinda question all the professional education aspirants should ask themselves prior to their admission; atleast in the post grad level. Does that question differ for a 'Doctor' when s/he heads for an MBA??.

Are u looking for a change of job, and don't like it here as a doctor, so u r changing or do u really want to do an MBA and see urself at the helm of afairs as a manager, managing in some biotech firm..?? That's the main question u have to ask urself..!!
How many times would you see an Engineer dreams of leading an Engineering/Production company only. But when it comes to the MBA dreams of a Doctor, its always Biotech, hospital management and like. Aren't we a bit prejudiced ?

And after u decide that u r gonna go for an MBA, go to the IIMs(As they say, nothing shines better than a diamond..!!)
All the best for ur prep..!!
Hmmm... well ... 'Try' for IIM's, its fine you reach there. BOL for that.
Also, if you cant buy diamonds, dont worry; still there are many other precious stones left
Rick

Hi Guys,

Had somehow missed this thread due to the long exile I have had from PG..

I agree with quite a few people on this thread - MBA is as much about medicine as it is about engineering - or any other profession, for that matter. Everyone will find some common aspects, and some new subjects to study. Guys with Bcom havent done Ops.. guys with engineering have no clue about finance. Somewhere along the line, Docs fare pretty much the same way - whether its MBBS, Homeo, Ayurveda or Dentistry - or any other stream I may have missed out.

Besides, a lot of management is basically about managing and taking care of people - a task most medicine folks are pretty adept at. Basically, all I am trying to get at is the fact that its as much of a change in fields for a doc, as it is for anyone else. In fact, after a while, the entire thing begins to seem like a hullabulloo over nothing.

As a doc in a bschool, there is only one thing I can say to aspiring doc - mbas - just hang in there - coz quite a few people will try to dissuade you, question you, ridicule you - and pretty much anything which is a permutation or combination of these. All you need to do is persist.

When I talked of doing an MBA - most people - including my parents, thought I had lost it. Had to pay my fees for coaching myself - folks thought I was trying to pass time. After all, why would anyone want to give up a career as lucrative as medicine to do something else? Others accused me of wasting precious resources and a medical seat.

I think the key lies in managing to make it to a good institute inspite of all these obstacles. I know there may be docs who are lucky enough to have support from people around them - but most of the ones I have spoken to have shared a story similar to mine.

Of course, aim for the IIMs - everyone does, dont they? But an honest target would be one of the top 10 institutes - for they have the electives, the faculty, and the placements to support people with different profiles.

And if I can be of help to anyone, please feel free to pm me. Alternatively, I am in Mumbai doing my summers till June 1st, and from then on, in Delhi, studying at MDI. I'll be glad to be of any help.

Regards,

Dr. Ashima Nath

Hi Guys,

Had somehow missed this thread due to the long exile I have had from PG..

I agree with quite a few people on this thread - MBA is as much about medicine as it is about engineering - or any other profession, for that matter. Everyone will find some common aspects, and some new subjects to study. Guys with Bcom havent done Ops.. guys with engineering have no clue about finance. Somewhere along the line, Docs fare pretty much the same way - whether its MBBS, Homeo, Ayurveda or Dentistry - or any other stream I may have missed out.

Besides, a lot of management is basically about managing and taking care of people - a task most medicine folks are pretty adept at. Basically, all I am trying to get at is the fact that its as much of a change in fields for a doc, as it is for anyone else. In fact, after a while, the entire thing begins to seem like a hullabulloo over nothing.

As a doc in a bschool, there is only one thing I can say to aspiring doc - mbas - just hang in there - coz quite a few people will try to dissuade you, question you, ridicule you - and pretty much anything which is a permutation or combination of these. All you need to do is persist.

When I talked of doing an MBA - most people - including my parents, thought I had lost it. Had to pay my fees for coaching myself - folks thought I was trying to pass time. After all, why would anyone want to give up a career as lucrative as medicine to do something else? Others accused me of wasting precious resources and a medical seat.

I think the key lies in managing to make it to a good institute inspite of all these obstacles. I know there may be docs who are lucky enough to have support from people around them - but most of the ones I have spoken to have shared a story similar to mine.

Of course, aim for the IIMs - everyone does, dont they? But an honest target would be one of the top 10 institutes - for they have the electives, the faculty, and the placements to support people with different profiles.

And if I can be of help to anyone, please feel free to pm me. Alternatively, I am in Mumbai doing my summers till June 1st, and from then on, in Delhi, studying at MDI. I'll be glad to be of any help.

Regards,

Dr. Ashima Nath

I think what Ashima here said makes a lot of sense...because there will be many ppl who will want to deter u from doing wht u want to..but do some soul searching and decide for yourself as to wht do u really want to do in life?what do u aspire to be?wht kinda work u wanna do in life?and wht is it tht will make u happy?Once u r thru with these questions you wud surely have an answer for yourself.

And yes aim for the BEST colleges in India and you should be having no problems.
All the best.

Regards,

Neha.