Mathematical Books for CAT Aspirants

Avail all these free books from Free Online Books on Programming Java C++ C Literature Computer Science Permutation , Combination and Number Theory. 1. A Computational Introduction to Number Theory and Algebra ( Author:Victor Shoup Pag…

Avail all these free books from
Free Online Books on Programming Java C++ C Literature Computer Science
Permutation , Combination and Number Theory.

1. A Computational Introduction to Number Theory and Algebra ( Author:Victor Shoup Pages:533 Publication Date:2005 Publisher:Cambridge University Press Free License:Creative Commons License (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0) )

2. Foundations of Combinatorics with Applications ( Author(s):Edward A. Bender and S. Gill Williamson Publication Date:2005 Publisher:Dover Publications )

Probability.

1. Introduction to Probability, 2nd Rev edition ( Author(s):Charles M. Grinstead, J. Laurie Snell ISBN:0821807498 Paperback:520 pages Publication Date:Jul 1997 Publisher:American Mathematical Society Free License:GNU General Public License )

Algebra

1. Applied Abstract Algebra ( Author(s):D. Joyner, R. Kreminski, J. Turisco ISBN:0-8018-7822-5 Pages:344 Publication Date:June 2004 Publisher:The Johns Hopkins University Press )

2. Linear Algebra( Author:Jim Hefferon, Saint Michael's College Publication Date:May 2006 )

3. Derivations of Applied Mathematics ( Author:Thaddeus H. Black Publication Date:4 August 2006 Publisher:The Debian Project )

4. A First Course in Linear Algebra ( Author:Robert A. Beezer, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Puget Sound Pages:807 Publication Date:April 6, 2006)

5. Elements of Abstract and Linear Algebra( Author(s):E. H. Connell, Department of Mathematics, University of Miami Content:146 pages Publication Date:March 2004 )

6. Abstract Algebra: The Basic Graduate Year ( Author(s):Robert B. Ash, Departement of Mathematics, University of Illinois Publication Date:October 2000 )

7. Elementary Linear Algebra ()

8. A=B( Author(s):Marko Petkovsek, Herbert Wilf and Doron Zeilberger Publication date:Jan 1996 ISBN:1568810636 Hardcover:212 pages Publisher:AK Peters, Ltd )

Don't spam with free Ads. Snip else face a ban.

Read the rules for posting on the forum.

Dear PMS/Mahip.

Let me introduce myself, I am an FMS graduate and been in industry for while, and head E-business in a MNC firm. I like follow up on quantitative as I teach the subject for fun, but not been able to do since 1-2 years due to my busy schedule. But I must congratulate the creaters and moderators of this forum, fantastic work!!

In my opinion, looking at CAT paper of 2006 and the opinion of people who make the CAT paper( I have personally interacted with a gentleman who contributed to 2003 CAT), The test is of problem solving not mathematics, the two things are similar but not the same, you can learn to solve a maths problem but problem solving skills in not about memoery of formula, it is sharpness of application! I think the books suggested are not bad but may not serve well and may put lot of aspirants in a long loop. I think basics need be very clear and post that lot of applications in the right manner. but again this is my opinion!! my best of luck to XLRI/FMS aspirants.

Another request to Mahip, I dont think PMS intention was to place advertisement, I think good books and materials should be encouraged. But at the same time to keep the forum clean, control is essential. No offence meant!! you guys are doing a great job

Enjoy life

San

Dear PMS/Mahip.

Let me introduce myself, I am an FMS graduate and been in industry for while, and head E-business in a MNC firm. I like follow up on quantitative as I teach the subject for fun, but not been able to do since 1-2 years due to my busy schedule. But I must congratulate the creaters and moderators of this forum, fantastic work!!

In my opinion, looking at CAT paper of 2006 and the opinion of people who make the CAT paper( I have personally interacted with a gentleman who contributed to 2003 CAT), The test is of problem solving not mathematics, the two things are similar but not the same, you can learn to solve a maths problem but problem solving skills in not about memoery of formula, it is sharpness of application! I think the books suggested are not bad but may not serve well and may put lot of aspirants in a long loop. I think basics need be very clear and post that lot of applications in the right manner. but again this is my opinion!! my best of luck to XLRI/FMS aspirants.

Another request to Mahip, I dont think PMS intention was to place advertisement, I think good books and materials should be encouraged. But at the same time to keep the forum clean, control is essential. No offence meant!! you guys are doing a great job

Enjoy life

San

thank's

watson......
Avail all these free books from
Permutation , Combination and Number Theory.

1. A Computational Introduction to Number Theory and Algebra ( Author:Victor Shoup Pages:533 Publication Date:2005 Publisher:Cambridge University Press Free License:Creative Commons License (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0) )

2. Foundations of Combinatorics with Applications ( Author(s):Edward A. Bender and S. Gill Williamson Publication Date:2005 Publisher:Dover Publications )

Probability.

1. Introduction to Probability, 2nd Rev edition ( Author(s):Charles M. Grinstead, J. Laurie Snell ISBN:0821807498 Paperback:520 pages Publication Date:Jul 1997 Publisher:American Mathematical Society Free License:GNU General Public License )

Algebra

1. Applied Abstract Algebra ( Author(s):D. Joyner, R. Kreminski, J. Turisco ISBN:0-8018-7822-5 Pages:344 Publication Date:June 2004 Publisher:The Johns Hopkins University Press )

2. Linear Algebra( Author:Jim Hefferon, Saint Michael's College Publication Date:May 2006 )

3. Derivations of Applied Mathematics ( Author:Thaddeus H. Black Publication Date:4 August 2006 Publisher:The Debian Project )

4. A First Course in Linear Algebra ( Author:Robert A. Beezer, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Puget Sound Pages:807 Publication Date:April 6, 2006)

5. Elements of Abstract and Linear Algebra( Author(s):E. H. Connell, Department of Mathematics, University of Miami Content:146 pages Publication Date:March 2004 )

6. Abstract Algebra: The Basic Graduate Year ( Author(s):Robert B. Ash, Departement of Mathematics, University of Illinois Publication Date:October 2000 )

7. Elementary Linear Algebra ()

8. A=B( Author(s):Marko Petkovsek, Herbert Wilf and Doron Zeilberger Publication date:Jan 1996 ISBN:1568810636 Hardcover:212 pages Publisher:AK Peters, Ltd )

friend, please do not post such material, i dont think these books do have any value in the preparation for the xat/ cat entrance exam.

watson......................

Hi,

Its absolutly crap to go thru all these books to crack quant in CAT or any exam.
These are good for guys who want to specialize in a particular topic or branch in mathematics.
All you need for CAT or any MBA entrance exam is 10 std mathematics or at the max 12 std maths.IT takes patiencs and hard work to get the basics correct and apply them to the problems

Hope this helps

Sanil

Hi,

Its absolutly crap to go thru all these books to crack quant in CAT or any exam.
These are good for guys who want to specialize in a particular topic or branch in mathematics.
All you need for CAT or any MBA entrance exam is 10 std mathematics or at the max 12 std maths.IT takes patiencs and hard work to get the basics correct and apply them to the problems

Hope this helps

Sanil

Sahi Jawab !

Can anyone tell the dependability of Arun Sharma for quants?:neutral:

aspire9 Says
Can anyone tell the dependability of Arun Sharma for quants?:neutral:

good book....with innovative methods
The0ne Says
good book....with innovative methods

This book is very well formatted with very useful material.

can you suggest some other books.......
which one is better amongst Arun Sharma and Abhijit Guha?:neutral:

which LODs to go for in Arun Sharma ...if you are a beginner?:satisfie:

Any body can help me getting an ebook on maths ( Ofcourse for CAT ).
I am not in India and not having ny book ,

Is any body in same boat.

hi

besides Arun sharma/guha, there are few more books that i can suggest to:

1. Dinesh Khattar (Pearson publication)

2. Nishit K Sinha (Pearson publication)

3. Md. Muneer ( TMH)

In my exp. ihave found Nishit K Sinha to be better than all the books mentioned, as it is new and more dependable in recent scenario of CAT.

aspire9 Says
which LODs to go for in Arun Sharma ...if you are a beginner?:satisfie:

i would suggest to go thru the inro page of the bokk in that arun air has suggested how this book will be help ful to below average,average and brilliant students

personal way

first read all theory if required then go thru 10 class boooks then LOD1,2 and if needed 3

the funda is not doing all Qs but understanding the thoery and its implemntation hope it helps:)
can you suggest some other books.......
which one is better amongst Arun Sharma and Abhijit Guha?:neutral:

i havenot read the latter but arun shrama is pretty good if u do it the way its been suggested.

more then book u r way is importan and consistent practice

bottomlinbe nothin like practice

Can anybody suggest a good book for DI/LR for CAT?
And we terribly miss a DI/LR thread for cat2007 in Pg..

Can anybody suggest a good book for DI/LR for CAT?
And we terribly miss a DI/LR thread for cat2007 in Pg..

dooms bhai i wuld suggest u to subscribe the di Q a day

and practice from any material u got at hand

it helps a lot:)
dooms bhai i wuld suggest u to subscribe the di Q a day

and practice from any material u got at hand

it helps a lot:)

But that thread is not active now..