Maryland vs Boston U

Hey there everyone, I am looking to get some feedback from some of the veteran pagals out there. I have been offered admission to both Maryland and Boston and am having a tough time choosing between the two. I have a Deans Fellowship (equivalent…

Hey there everyone,
I am looking to get some feedback from some of the veteran pagals out there. I have been offered admission to both Maryland and Boston and am having a tough time choosing between the two. I have a Deans Fellowship (equivalent to 70% of tuition plus a $6700 stipend for the 2nd yr) from Maryland. BU, on the other hand has given me a full tuition scholarship and the program i have applied to happens to be a double MS/MBA program. (MS in Information Sys)
Both programs appeal to me because of their tech focus. I do not have a background in technology and hence thought that programs with an tech emphasis would really round off my skill set. After grad I plan to undertake a career in International Business (Marketing) I know that neither prog is renowned for its International Business acumen and the process of finding my ideal job is going to be a uphill struggle. Having said that, I have strong networking skills and am not particularly worried about finding a job.
My dilemma stems from the fact that though Maryland is slightly higher ranked, BU can offer me two degrees at a lower cost. The curriculum and strength of the Marketing departments in either program are quite similar. I am quite perplexed as to which college to choose and would sincerely appreciate any inputs
thanks

Dont fall for "the 2 degrees for the price of one" deal...in the real world the alphabet soup does not really matter...the MBA itself is mainly a gateway to careers in business...
I remember briefly looking at BU's MS-MBA program, I didnt find anything exceptional abt the curriculum. whats the length of the program?

Have you visited the schools (if thats possible)?

Hey there everyone,
I am looking to get some feedback from some of the veteran pagals out there. I have been offered admission to both Maryland and Boston and am having a tough time choosing between the two. I have a Deans Fellowship (equivalent to 70% of tuition plus a $6700 stipend for the 2nd yr) from Maryland. BU, on the other hand has given me a full tuition scholarship and the program i have applied to happens to be a double MS/MBA program. (MS in Information Sys)
Both programs appeal to me because of their tech focus. I do not have a background in technology and hence thought that programs with an tech emphasis would really round off my skill set. After grad I plan to undertake a career in International Business (Marketing) I know that neither prog is renowned for its International Business acumen and the process of finding my ideal job is going to be a uphill struggle. Having said that, I have strong networking skills and am not particularly worried about finding a job.
My dilemma stems from the fact that though Maryland is slightly higher ranked, BU can offer me two degrees at a lower cost. The curriculum and strength of the Marketing departments in either program are quite similar. I am quite perplexed as to which college to choose and would sincerely appreciate any inputs
thanks

hi rollingstone...

yeah the MS-MBA proram looks appealing.. but it is not that exceptional.
I have spoken to a current student also pursuing MS-MBA in BU.. he said he dint feel it was much of a value add to him.

Having said that, the MS-MBA is BU's flagship program and they are promoting it very strongly. Also, a lot of job opportunities open up as there are several companies that come in looking to hire MS-MBA's. Finally you can always change your mind and drop the MS at the end of your 1st year after finding out more once you are at BU.

i can msg u his id if u wanna know more about it..
lemme know

regards

Hey there eternal insane,

yeah i would greatly appreciate if you could mssg me his id.

thanks a lot