Marketing career - right fit ?

Puys, I am an IT professional with 5 years work ex. I have 760 on GMAT and am targeting fall 2012 programs. I am researching marketing career. Based on the info on the web, marketing seems to offer exciting opportunities to people who knows …

Puys,

I am an IT professional with 5 years work ex. I have 760 on GMAT and am targeting fall 2012 programs. I am researching marketing career. Based on the info on the web, marketing seems to offer exciting opportunities to people who knows how to persuade people / manage public perceptions / communicate essence of a brand or benefits of products.

I consider myself good in the above areas based on the following success stories. These activities were outside of my core work and i had engaged purely out of enthusiasm. The big question is "Do these successes make me a good fit for marketing jobs ?". In other words, "Are the tasks involved in these stories representative of tasks in marketing at least to some extent" ?

1- Head of Marketing campaign for a week long technology festival in 2010 @ my workplace. The festival engaged about 1000 people. The Campaign included posters, banners, email communications, roadshows, email based teaser events , outdoor teaser events and newsletters. The Success of the fest was well attributed to the successful marketing campaign. I had headed a similar campaign in 2009.

2 - Founder of a points based system to continuously (not just during appraisal times) remind employees of their appraisal goals and encourage even baby steps taken towards their goals. The system did not practically workout but the idea was very well received by the management.

3 - Head Election campaigner @ students union election. Had single handedly planned the election campaign, sold the campaign ideas to my gang fellas, executed the plan flawlessly and successfully got our candidate win (against a very powerful candidate) in a long drawn, fiercely fought election.

4- Besides, i had engaged in organizing college festivals & technical extravaganzas and had excelled.