Marine engineer for MBA abroad/career options...plz advice

hello everybody this is regarding career change for merchant navy guys… i have done 4 yr marine engineering with 6.35 cgpa from TMI,pune (collbrtd BITS Pilani university)… and has 2 year experience in merchant navy …i m earning well aroun…

hello everybody

this is regarding career change for merchant navy guys... i have done 4 yr marine engineering with 6.35 cgpa from TMI,pune (collbrtd BITS Pilani university).. and has 2 year experience in merchant navy ..i m earning well around 1.3lac/mnth but not satisfied with my job(personel issues) so decided to leave this sailing .. n want to involve myself in offshore job therefore to excel others n to get myself better placed i m planing for masters mba/ms ... the prob is i dont have direction ...n i dnt want to do complete switch over :neutral: .. it is a trend that we marine engineers(who wants to quit sailing ) sails till they get our chief ticket (which normally takes 4-5 yrs frm nw) then they come in shore technical job or they sometimes do complete switch over to other profession.
..if any of u guys have seen any one like me breaking a trend n is in better position plz advice me for the same... basically my funda is i want to use my graduation degree + my 2 year exp in career ahead ... i want to rise in my own field ... so thought of some courses but not very sure of their demand.??: ..... have plans for mba/ms frm uk...'ll work there for couple of years n then return back.. its gud to c a exp people who can help me ..i need a guidance from u... please tell me ...what courses u'll suggest as if now i m very blank...what r the propescts in near future... in india /abroad
i m in initial stage of decision ...plz feel free to say anything.. if there is anything in ur knowledge or a advice which can prove usefull for me ...plz do let me know...
the courses i m searched are..
LOGISTIC N SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT / International Shipping and Logistics / International Shipping / International Supply Chain Management / MBA(LOGISTICS)

Can anyone suggest for this, in my situation ... 😞

abhijit

hey abhijeet,do u have any idea about M.I.C.S (Member of Institute of chartered ship brokers) and the employment oppurtunities post M.I.C.S,would be of great help if you give me this infirmation or any other source.
Regards

LOGISTIC N SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT / International Shipping and Logistics / International Shipping / International Supply Chain Management / MBA(LOGISTICS)

abhijit

You can take a look at the SP Jain Dubai/Singapore logistics program- have had plenty of batchmates from T.S. Chanakya head that way
hey abhijeet why dont u try via GMAT and ur work experience in merchant navy will add upon a very good career path and if ur essay is good enough u can surely sneak in some of the b-schools in
UK!
hello everybody

this is regarding career change for merchant navy guys... i have done 4 yr marine engineering with 6.35 cgpa from TMI,pune (collbrtd BITS Pilani university).. and has 2 year experience in merchant navy ..i m earning well around 1.3lac/mnth but not satisfied with my job(personel issues) so decided to leave this sailing .. n want to involve myself in offshore job therefore to excel others n to get myself better placed i m planing for masters mba/ms ... the prob is i dont have direction ...n i dnt want to do complete switch over :neutral: .. it is a trend that we marine engineers(who wants to quit sailing ) sails till they get our chief ticket (which normally takes 4-5 yrs frm nw) then they come in shore technical job or they sometimes do complete switch over to other profession.
..if any of u guys have seen any one like me breaking a trend n is in better position plz advice me for the same... basically my funda is i want to use my graduation degree + my 2 year exp in career ahead ... i want to rise in my own field ... so thought of some courses but not very sure of their demand.??: ..... have plans for mba/ms frm uk...'ll work there for couple of years n then return back.. its gud to c a exp people who can help me ..i need a guidance from u... please tell me ...what courses u'll suggest as if now i m very blank...what r the propescts in near future... in india /abroad
i m in initial stage of decision ...plz feel free to say anything.. if there is anything in ur knowledge or a advice which can prove usefull for me ...plz do let me know...
the courses i m searched are..

abhijit

Many merchant navy guys face this dilemma. Logistics related courses as cryonerve has suggested is a good option.

Alternatively, you might want to consider corporate roles within the companies that you have worked with. You could use your personal contacts to explore if there are roles within finance, strategy side that you can join and get some experience. Getting into a top-ranked MBA program will be another option to pursue.

If you want to stick to the same industry, you'll have an advantage during placements.

hello abhijeet
i am at present at the same point where u were.m also presently sailing as 4 th engg.
looking 4 a carrer change.
if u got any way out please advice.

guys u can give GMAT and apply to the ivy league. warton n columbia have a good logistics program.

Hi guys, i have graduated in b.tech marine engineering and pursuing my career in one of the shipping company as class IV engineer.I am planning to do operational management (mba) through gmat.
My experience in shipping industry will be useful for this course ?
till now i have experience of 2 years in shipping .
i have got 80 % in 10th
70 % in 12th
65 % in graduation
worked for one year for an NGO
thanks

Nice to see all those replies.... I came across two guys in my career where they gave there GMAT exams took above 740 and one of them is already pursuing his MBA from US (I am not sure about the college).... Abhijeet... since ur from Tolani you might be knowing him... his name is Abhishek Chikara... and other guy was a chief mate and he is already into Warton, US.... Right now I am planning to do GMAT...

WHAT ARE THE PROSPECTS OF GRE FOR MARINE ENGINEER..WHAT SPECIALIZATION TO BE CHOOSEN.I M SECOND ENGINEER WITH BSC TECH MARINE 

HI frnz, been in the marine field from last 9 years and presently serving as second engineer. Please advice what degree i can pursue to get a good start on shore.

I am a marine engineer by profession with 4 years of exp in shipping industry.. Currently I am working with BP shipping (the oil major) for past 3 years.. My job profile includes operation and maintenance of various machines (Diesel Engines, Boilers, Steam Turbines, Pumps, etc) on board and carrying out routine cargo watches during loading and unloading of cargol.

My acads include:

X: 78% (2002)

XII: 80 (PCM)% (2004)

(awarded as Mr. Augustine for an all round performance in class XII, St Augustine School)

IIT Screening AIR: 10775 (2004)

IIT Mains AIR: 6603 (2004)

AIEEE AIR 3603 (2004)

UPTU SEE State Rank: 562

B.tech (marine engg): 70% (Class of 2008, MERI, Kolkata)

(Awarded for excellency in all aspects at the end of college training)

Have some college level certificates in swimming.

Good appraisals in the company.

I am planning to appear for GMAT .. How much score should I target..??

also can u suggest which specialization should I opt for.. ?? Which area of specialization would be best suited to my profile..??

Hey friends kindly help me to know how to enter in merchant navy international transport and management or logistics cadre after b.tech biotechnology... 

I am pursuing b.tech biotech 3rd yr with 7.9 cgpa

12th 8.6

10th 9.6

How is marine engineering in cusat ? Is it good in placement ?

hi

i completed my btech marine engineering on 2013 and got placed in shipping corporation of india..., sailed as a tme for 11 months..now i have an option for writing class 4 exam..but i wish to change my. profession and try mba..can any one suggest a subject that i can choose..as i have done marine engineering..