Manhattan GMAT- 800 Score tests

Hi, Can anyone throw some light on the 800Score tests. I have taken those tests and I find that my scoring in the Verbal section remains in the range of 40- 43 inspite of making around 12 mistakes. While I took a test on GMAT Prep and find my sc…

Hi,
Can anyone throw some light on the 800Score tests. I have taken those tests and I find that my scoring in the Verbal section remains in the range of 40- 43 inspite of making around 12 mistakes. While I took a test on GMAT Prep and find my score in Verbal to be 34 inspite of 9 mistakes. I am bit confused about the scoring pattern and also about my current position as far as Verbal section is concerned.
Quant section has been consistent in both the series of tests.
Also I would like to know that in order to get a score of 40+ in verbal how many mistakes can be made at max. ( I am aware of the fact that the type of question determine the marks and not the actual no of errors ) But still a rough idea will be appreciated...

Hi,
Can anyone throw some light on the 800Score tests. I have taken those tests and I find that my scoring in the Verbal section remains in the range of 40- 43 inspite of making around 12 mistakes. While I took a test on GMAT Prep and find my score in Verbal to be 34 inspite of 9 mistakes. I am bit confused about the scoring pattern and also about my current position as far as Verbal section is concerned.
Also I would like to know that in order to get a score of 40+ in verbal how many mistakes can be made at max. ( I am aware of the fact that the type of question determine the marks and not the actual no of errors ) But still a rough idea will be appreciated...

Hi,

I am also feeling the same thing. I scored 720 on test 1 and 750 on Test 2. On the other hand I scored 610 and 620 on Princeton review's test.
Do let me know in case you get any response from anyone.

Cheers,
Himanshu
Hi,

I don't know about the accuracy of the 800score tests but the GMATprep tests are highly accurate.
On the GMAT, its not the number of mistakes you make in any section that determine your score but the difficulty level of the questions that you get right/wrong.
For Eg. Let's assume that you get only 2-3 questions wrong in the first 30-32 questions and get 5 wrong in the last 10: chances are that you'd still end up with a high score. The reason is that you got a long string of questions (questions of increasing difficulty) correct. And the by the time you reached the last few questions the GMAT had already determined your score.
On the other hand, if you kept making mistakes thru' out your section, getting on an average every 5th question wrong, you could end up with a much lower score. So, even though you made roughly the same number of mistakes, your scores will vary..!!
The difference here lies in the average difficulty of the questions you answer in each case. The level being much higher in the 1st case than in the 2nd case.

Also, if you answer 3-4 questions incorrectly, in a row, your score gets adversely affected.

Hope that helps.
I don't know about the accuracy of the 800score tests but the GMATprep tests are highly accurate.
On the GMAT, its not the number of mistakes you make in any section that determine your score but the difficulty level of the questions that you get right/wrong.
For Eg. Let's assume that you get only 2-3 questions wrong in the first 30-32 questions and get 5 wrong in the last 10: chances are that you'd still end up with a high score. The reason is that you got a long string of questions (questions of increasing difficulty) correct. And the by the time you reached the last few questions the GMAT had already determined your score.
On the other hand, if you kept making mistakes thru' out your section, getting on an average every 5th question wrong, you could end up with a much lower score. So, even though you made roughly the same number of mistakes, your scores will vary..!!
The difference here lies in the average difficulty of the questions you answer in each case. The level being much higher in the 1st case than in the 2nd case.

Also, if you answer 3-4 questions incorrectly, in a row, your score gets adversely affected.

Hope that helps.

Hi Ankur,
Thanks for the info man. Yes you are right. I observed the same effect in one of my 800Score verbal exams. I got a score of 47 where 6 out of the 10 or 11 mistakes are made in the last 11 questions. I need to do a better analysis on the GMAT Prep.
Also congrats for the terrific score on GMAT !
Please do share your preparation strategy and any particular reference material which can be of any help. Also can you tell me your scoring pattern, the number of mistakes on an average you made in the Verbal as well as Quant during the GMAT prep test.

Thanks!