Manchester Business School, Current Student taking questions

Hi all, Its been a long time that I logged in to PG. I am a current student from Manchester Business School and would be happy to take your questions for the programme. Pls do not focus ur questions to evaluate ur application as I would not…

Hi all,

Its been a long time that I logged in to PG.
I am a current student from Manchester Business School and would be happy to take your questions for the programme. Pls do not focus ur questions to evaluate ur application as I would not be the right person to do so. The application is not just GMAT score. There is a huge universe outside it that can make a difference in application. I can answer question relating to school and its struture of programme.

Happy application season.

Hi Hunt,

a few queries..

--considering the stringent visa norms prevalent in uk what are the job-opportunities for indian candidates..esp in manchester??

---manchester has a good brand..however, in the recent ft rankings its ranked lower than LUMS??? how would you compare MBS with Imperial, LUMS, Warwick???

---please share your experience with the faculty and the city of manchester??

thanks
nitin

@ nitin

The answer to ur queries:
1. considering the stringent visa norms prevalent in uk what are the job-opportunities for indian candidates..esp in manchester??
Yes, the visa regulations are become stringent and there is uncertainity, however if thats the case every UK program would get affected from this and companies would perfer giving sponserships only to those students who have done program from reputed universities. Doing an MBA from a good university is always an asset for ur whole career and its not only getting a job in Uk but choosing the right career direction. The programs are global and u can make in roads to different places with the alumni networks in different countries.

2.manchester has a good brand..however, in the recent ft rankings its ranked lower than LUMS??? how would you compare MBS with Imperial, LUMS, Warwick???
I would not compare MBS with these school directly on the basis of rankings because there are many methodologies the rankings adopt like age, past experience, past and post MBA packages,etc. I can tell u 3 most imp. differentiators of MBS program:
a. Internship opportunity is an asset for the CV while in the program. With study visa u have the right to do an internship in UK which adds huge value to experience.
b. Exchange program is another critical point. MBS has about 40 different schools for exchange program and depending on the field of study, u can apply to different schools in that particular domain to do ur electives and increase ur presence.
c. Internation Business project in last term is the most imp. live project of the course apart from other projects, which involves u with an international assignment with the client company and dealing with top officials directly. It is upto u how u can mazimise this opportunity, show ur skills and impress the client with ur consultation.
3.please share your experience with the faculty and the city of manchester??
As far as faculty is concerned, MBS has some really great people teaching us from permanent to visiting. We are still to encounter some good faculty members in next terms but already marketing, strategy, venture capital and cor. finance have given tremendous knowledge. The city manchester, I believe is the most vibrant city of UK with majority of population being students.

Hunt

Thanks Hunt,

I have got an interview invite from MBS...and am seriously considering MBS in case I get an admit.

Hi Hunt,
My interview is scheduled for the 3rd Feb'11...i would appreciate if you cn share some tips or question that you faced during your interview.

thanks
nitin

Hi hunt,

I have seen your post on PG. I am looking for MBS .
can you please answer my queries

1) Is MBS good for Consulting ? I heard it has more focus towards Finance

2) How is the job scenario in UK for international students after MBS ?

3) How different are MBS teaching methods as compared to general class room teaching ?

Thanks
Pawan

Hello Hunt,

Thanks for the insight on MBS ... Can you please clarify if MBS has a good reputation in Business Consulting (Strategy) as specialization per say...

Saw a lot of electives in brochure pertaining to Strategy... :)

Thanks,
Abhinav

Thank you sir for taking out the the time t start and run this thread for us.....

1)My query repeats an earlier question on this page....
What is the job scene in the UK for foreign students??

2)What GMAT score should an Indian IT male aim at to get some scholarship?

3)I have very low vision in my eyes....can I expect some help from the university in finding accommodation and taking class-notes??

Thank you very very much for your time...

Hi all,

My apologies for not replying soon but it was holiday time......Happy new year to all.....

@nitin: For the interviews I would definately suggest go through ur CV and the essays for top to bottom. My 40 mins interview was completely based on what I had writen in my CV and essays. It might also get a bit technical if u have choosen a very specific area to pursue after MBA and u need to go in detail for that and not just the overview.

@electricpawan: Consulting is an area in which the school has a great focus. We have 3 consulting projects to do out of which 1 is international. Along with this the school also has an internal consulting wing supported by excellent professors. It is not that the school is focussed on finance but we have a huge alumni base in finance, but thats true for consulting as well. Job scene in UK... would depend on visa regulation as I mentioned earlier in my post........The teaching is not like the regular calss room stuff but more project based which is the speciality of the school and its differentiator.... only the 1st term is more theoritical.... for the second term we only have 1 theory subject rest all are pratical based.

@crab 365: Again as I already mentioned, the job scene would depend on the visa regulation, but u have to make individual choices depending on the career path u wish to take. MBA is an asset and the person has to make his own move. I am not sure if getting a job in UK is ur prime critiria or doing an MBA from the right university and gaining experience is the motive to make a career.... can not comment on GMAT scores for scholarships... I have no idea but GMAT is only a part of the criteria...Accomodation would not be problem and u shd be able to get one easily.... regarding vision all lectures are available online and u can use ur laptop in the hall along with lectures....

@abhinav: We have the strategy in this semester and by the look of it, it is really looking very exicting with all the case studies. We have a couple of very reputed professors visiting as well as permanent for strategy in electives. What I know strategy electives are one of the most sought after subjects for electives because the professors are great.

Take care and good luck to all..........

Hi Hunt,

I wanted to understand the funding element. Do Indian students get help from MBS in securing loan to fund their education? If so, how does the process work?

Thanks,
Rajesh

Hi Hunt,

I have been invited for an interview. Any insights on how to approach the interview?

Regards,
Ajay

Hi Hunt,

I have been invited for an interview. I am looking for a career in strategy consulting in automotive domain.

I wanted to check in any of the Alumni are in automotive domain so that I can take some feedback.

Is there any way I can get an employment report or a resume book from the school?

Thanks in advance for your help.

regards,
Ajay

Hi all,

Hope ur preparations for interviews are going strong.

@RKCM: You will have to take care of the funding component. The school would not assist in getting the loan from India. The admission letter from the school would be required by the banks for processing the loan.

@ajayawanti: Its good to hear that u have been invited for the interview. As I mentioned earlier in my post, go through ur CV and essays in detail. In my case almost all the interview session was on my CV and the essays I wrote. As far as ur specific area of interest is concerned, statistics are available on the web site. If there is less information available on this domain, I believe there would be no harm to ask this question in the interview that you want to get in touch with some alumni in this field to take some feedback and they would be able to recommend someone. This is a very relevent ques. to ask for. I am not sure if u've got in touch with admissions office? They normally refer u to the alumni in the field u want to make a career.

hello. i am a student from south africa and was hoping to get the textbooklist beforehand so that i could learn a little bit before starting the year.

I am doing a business management degree first year.

Would you know what textbook are used , how many subjects i take and where i could get notes and slides from ?

Even if the books are being changed, you can tell me the old ones as they will be relatively similar.

Thanks you

Shanky