M.A in Economics -other than DSE

Friends, Any pg guys doing their MA in economics please guide. currantly shortlisted by Xlri and NMIMS and XIMB. But not keen on pursuing management. I would like to do my MA in Economics. Can any one tell me where I can apply other than D sc…

Friends,

Any pg guys doing their MA in economics please guide. currantly shortlisted by Xlri and NMIMS and XIMB. But not keen on pursuing management. I would like to do my MA in Economics. Can any one tell me where I can apply other than D school? How is University of Bombay ?

Thanks in advance for your time and response

chunari

Friends,

Any pg guys doing their MA in economics please guide. currantly shortlisted by Xlri and NMIMS and XIMB. But not keen on pursuing management. I would like to do my MA in Economics. Can any one tell me where I can apply other than D school? How is University of Bombay ?

chunari

1. ISI - Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata & Delhi
2. DSE - Delhi School of Economics
3. IGIDR - Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai
4. JNU - Javaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
5. MSE - Madras School of Economics

These are the superb economics institutes in India. However, other users are invited to add any missing names.
One more thing .... Written tests of ISI and IGIDR are on the same day (7th May) .... so one has to make a choice. Timings are also same as ISI has 2 papers ... on in forenoon and the other in afternoon. IGIDR's test is objective only and tests English and Maths whereas the ISI's test is both objective and subjective and tests Maths and Economics. Here also users are invited to correct any incorrect info.

Thanks patel. It is realy helpful to me. can any one tell me what preparation is requird for IGIDR entrance? any currant students in pg.please help

chunari Says
Thanks patel. It is realy helpful to me. can any one tell me what preparation is requird for IGIDR entrance? any currant students in pg.please help

I am attaching some files....hope it will help.
Friends,

chunari
There is JNU...In which there is MA in eco...Then there is MA in International Affairs and MA in World Eco which are more polpular than the pure eco course....!!!

Then there is Jamia Milia Uni....Which is more popular for its Post grad in Mass Com...But even the Eco thing is fast catching up.

Depends why you want to do an M.A. is it to do Corporate R&D; or some prof. job?In the first case Ignore JNU.....
Since DSE folks have good links with Junta in amreecan univ.s you could geta good reference for PhD.+Foundation Courses.....
Man the people graduating from schools are so lucky BA+MA Eco ~5 years by IITs....

the test of IGIDR is much easier and placements are excellent. the average salary was 6 lakhs per annum last year and the highest was 9 lacs per annum. so better go for IGIDR

Ocean

Good to see ppl providing their views ....
No views about MSE and ISI ??

Hi,
Madras school of economics is a fine institute. One of my friends is studying there and he has explained me abt the placement process, as well as the faculty etc. The faculty there consists of many high-profile people, and the placement is also quite good.
for more details, log onto www.mse.ac.in

hello peeps....i maself m doin m.a.eco...in my first year....not really interested 4 d same....so gave cat dis year....n since u asked abt d instts givin a masters degree in economics....i hav been thru d int/w process of IGIDR....mus say an amazin instt....go 4 it 4 sure...d entrance as mentioned by sum1 z damn easy...but its d int/w part wich ppl screw up....u hav like a panel of 10 peeps...all in sum amazin posts...either sum deputy governors of RBI....or renowned economists recruited wid d GOI...so sure written test is easy 2 crack but d int/w goes on 4 abt 40 mins...n u really gonna show dem ur eco knowledge....n gotta b thorough wid all ur subjects...
as far as DSE goes again mentioned ...placements r amazin if u wana go in 4 d corporates....
n JNU n IGIDR 4 research....n IES...
JMI z an OK types instt...no placement cell as such dat i hav heard of so far...1 of ma frens is doin her m.a. 4m JMI....though u hav sum project work n gud exposure if u hav contacts wid renowned ppl in ur topic...
den dere is also m.a. being provided by University of calcutta....but dey giv a clear preference 2 calcuttaiites...
den m.a.eco also being provided by d bangalore university....sum of d colleges providin it r christ college n well i hav 4go10 d oder names...
dats it 4 now...hope dis helps...bubye

Hi,
Madras school of economics is a fine institute. One of my friends is studying there and he has explained me abt the placement process, as well as the faculty etc. The faculty there consists of many high-profile people, and the placement is also quite good.
for more details, log onto www.mse.ac.in

Hii ECONOMISTS!!!

Its good interaction we are having here...

Need few guidelines...

How is MBA in Finance differ from Economics MA...I am shortlisted for MBA in IITz, IMT, ...
And wanna go forfinacial consulatncy...Please guide me how to make full use of my 2 years in MBA ...How to master Eco. concepts and applications...How much of economics concepts i should know b4 setting step intto a BSchool.........

Any good Books u suggest...

It would be good if u can guide me..
Thanks..
Pujaaaaaaa
Ahmedabad

Hii ECONOMISTS!!!

Its good interaction we are having here...

Need few guidelines...

How is MBA in Finance differ from Economics MA...I am shortlisted for MBA in IITz, IMT, ...
And wanna go forfinacial consulatncy...Please guide me how to make full use of my 2 years in MBA ...How to master Eco. concepts and applications...How much of economics concepts i should know b4 setting step intto a BSchool.........

Any good Books u suggest...

It would be good if u can guide me..
Thanks..
Pujaaaaaaa
Ahmedabad

Well an MA in Econ and an MBA in Finance is significantly different.
And to go for financial consultancy an MBA will help not an MA because MA in Econ teaches hardcore Economics mainly mathematical explanations of the economic theories and so on.

Alex
P.S I have found that the entrance test for ISI is difficult to crack for Econ students but is easier for those who have taken math at the undergrad.
IGIDR is a good choice.
For further studies in Econ, i would rate DSE as first, then IGIDR and JNU.
MSE is ok, but lesser that the other institutes if you want to go further in Econ because MSE does not offer a varied selection of math papers which is extremely essential to take up a doctorate in econ.

For more info on Economics, visit my blog at
http://alexmthomas.blogspot.com/

[

Friends,

Can anybody who has attended igidr PI for MA in economics post their experience and tips.
thanks
chunari

quote=lose_control]hello peeps....i maself m doin m.a.eco...in my first year....not really interested 4 d same....so gave cat dis year....n since u asked abt d instts givin a masters degree in economics....i hav been thru d int/w process of IGIDR....mus say an amazin instt....go 4 it 4 sure...d entrance as mentioned by sum1 z damn easy...but its d int/w part wich ppl screw up....u hav like a panel of 10 peeps...all in sum amazin posts...either sum deputy governors of RBI....or renowned economists recruited wid d GOI...so sure written test is easy 2 crack but d int/w goes on 4 abt 40 mins...n u really gonna show dem ur eco knowledge....n gotta b thorough wid all ur subjects...
as far as DSE goes again mentioned ...placements r amazin if u wana go in 4 d corporates....
n JNU n IGIDR 4 research....n IES...
JMI z an OK types instt...no placement cell as such dat i hav heard of so far...1 of ma frens is doin her m.a. 4m JMI....though u hav sum project work n gud exposure if u hav contacts wid renowned ppl in ur topic...
den dere is also m.a. being provided by University of calcutta....but dey giv a clear preference 2 calcuttaiites...
den m.a.eco also being provided by d bangalore university....sum of d colleges providin it r christ college n well i hav 4go10 d oder names...
dats it 4 now...hope dis helps...bubye

hey guys..me a du student eco honrs..juz took 2yr exams n aiming to do MA after grad..
sope juz needed advice wetha i shud go fo coaching diz year o after 3yr wud b fine..?..n i had thought to brushup basics n ol in dis free time n throughout 3 yr..to self study n den join coaching taking d gap f 1 yr..
so can any1 suggest how to prepare for MA in eco for DSE n gokhale o igidr..hw different d pattern is n wot shud i exactly start with...

i hope u guys will respond 2 dat..
thanx in advance n yeah good platform for solving out dillemas n gaining info..thanx d paGaL guy...:)

hey! wats the pattern of Gokhale like? wch all sections come? wats the approx cut off and the no. of seats for all india students?

How is IGNOU as an option for pusuing M.A. Economics?

Hello friends,

I'm facing a similar situation. Can any one suggest a couple of institutes/colleges in India that offer M.A.Economics via distance education. I tried googling a few, but got a few unsatisfactory findings. Any guidance in the right direction will be of great help, friends!

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks much in advance!

Karthik

Hello friends,

I'm facing a similar situation. Can any one suggest a couple of institutes/colleges in India that offer M.A.Economics via distance education. I tried googling a few, but got a few unsatisfactory findings. Any guidance in the right direction will be of great help, friends!

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks much in advance!

Karthik

Please find the list of colleges and universities for MA Economics via distance education:-

1.Annamalai University
2.Bangalore University, Directorate of Correspondence Courses
3.Bharathidasan University
4.University of Bombay
5.University of Calicut
6.Chaudhary Charan Singh University
7.Guru Ghasidas University, Bilaspur
8.Jiwaji University
9.Kakatiya University
10.Mother Teresa Women's University
11.Osmania University
12.Punjab Agricultural University
13.SNDT Women's University
14. IGNOU

Will provide the links in a while.
bsamridhi Says
How is IGNOU as an option for pusuing M.A. Economics?

IGNOU is a good option if you want to do the course through Distance Learning mode. It won't help in getting jobs as in provide assistance for placements.