Lse 2009-10

Hey Puys, Calling for thoughts, inputs and lods of info from people applying to LSE… I am planning to apply to Masters in Strategy and Management

Hey Puys,

Calling for thoughts, inputs and lods of info from people applying to LSE...

I am planning to apply to Masters in Strategy and Management

I got an admit for this program.
and it's MSc Management and Strategy, not the other way round.

I got an admit for this program.
and it's MSc Management and Strategy, not the other way round.

Congrats !

Are you planning to join ?
Congrats !

Are you planning to join ?

Thank you.
Not sure at the moment. Waiting for a couple of more results and also it'll depend a lot on how much funds can I raise.

Hi Najmuddin,

First of all congratz for your admit... I had 2 questions here...
1. can you share your profile please
2. Can you please let me know how much budget does it require?

I am planning to apply for the same course as well.. Thanks.. Mehul.

@ najmuddin
can u plz detail ur profile..as in what is ur gmat score, number of years work experience, etc.?

Hi Najmuddin... here's my profile in brief...

Brief of my Profile -
GMAT 690
Work Ex - 5.5 Yrs (4 yrs FT post graduation (including 1 yr at Accenture US), 1.5 yrs FT Internship)
Acads - Outstanding. (State topper in Diploma and Rank 4 in University in BE)
EC - Decent (Couple of prizes at National Level, few activities in community services)

Can you please evaluate my profile for the above course admission.... Can you please help me with tentative budget...

TIA..... Mehul.

My profie:

BE (E&C;), MIT Manipal, 2006, GPA - 3.6/4 (comes roughly to 85%)
GRE - 1490 (AWA - 4.5), TOEFL - 110
(They prefer GRE for this program, although GMAT is also acceptable)
3 yrs work-ex in semiconductor industry... (presently in a very big MNC in semiconductors)
3 good recos
a solid SOP...

@Mehul
If you're looking forward to apply to this program, i seriously advice you to visit their website first
Fees would be the first information you'd find...

as for evaluating your profile, I'm certainly not the right person. I myself have just got an admit a couple of weeks back.
and FYI, LSE doesn't place too much importance on ECs... what they are looking for is good acads and a convincing reason for why u r applying for their program.
Also, this is an MSc not an MBA...

Hope this information helps...

hey M7MBA.. .. Great to see someone applying with me...

Mehul.

Hey Najmuddin....Friend... I have looked through the site length and breadth... I know the fees for the program is 18XXX GBP... I also know that the site quotes living expenses as 12K GBP for 12 months. What I was asking was not these numbers... I was asking about the tentative Budget for the course (BTW... its not a simple arithmatic total of 12+18... Ha Ha Ha...) .. It will be great if you can help me the budget.... TC.. Mehul.

mehul.vjti Says
Friend... I have looked through the site length and breadth... I know the fees for the program is 18XXX GBP... I also know that the site quotes living expenses as 12K GBP for 12 months. What I was asking was not these numbers... I was asking about the tentative Budget for the course (BTW... its not a simple arithmatic total of 12+18... Ha Ha Ha...) .. It will be great if you can help me the budget.. And dude... a person with 5.5 years of work ex when applies for a course ... he surely knows whether the course is MSc or MBA.. well.. thanks for the information though... TC.. Mehul.

Buddy... you seem to have been offended by my post. Well that certainly wasn't my intent.

What I meant to say was that I have as much information as is available on the LSE website. I have gone through some orkut communities and stuff and people there say that u can even manage in 8-9k. However my personal opinion is that everyone should plan according to 12k as it will allow some room for any emergencies or unforseen unfortunate events.

I would advise you to go through the orkut communities too... there are a few LSE guys there who can help if you have any queries...

and regarding the MSc and MBA thing, I didn't mention it to mock or offend anyone. My only intent was to remind you that you have an experience of 5.5 years, including international and pretty good acads. With this profile, if you are aiming for an MSc, it looks like an overkill to me. You are a candidate for an MBA. Granted that LSE has a damn good brand name, but still there are differences between an MSc and an MBA. As far as my own research says, you'll target pretty different job markets with an MSc and an MBA. You should first research thoroughly on where you wanna end up after graduation. Plus, give a thought on UK's economy too...

Believe me, I have been on pagalguy for a long time. if I am here taking time out for answering queries, I am not taking so much pain just to offend someone.

@ALL
I forgot to mention it earlier, I have received a scholarship worth 7k from LSE.

Najmuddin

Hi Najmuddin... I am sorry... I felt that my scrap was a little rude and that's why I quickly went ahead and edited it. But meanwhile you already read it.. my bad though.... Well.. Thanks a ton your all the information you gave me... trust me it really helps and I sncerely mean it. Also you are damn right here... I am a candidate for MBA and I did apply to a lot of MBAs ad got through few of the most prestigious courses ... including ISB, Carnegie Mellon MIS program, UT Austin MBA and Rotman toronto..I wanted to apply to LSE because I felt that it gives the best brand value in an affordable price tag of around 22lacs... All the admits I have except for ISB are costlier than that and unfortunately I am in real crunch of money and can not spend more than this. So though I second your view of joining an MBA.. its the money + Brand Value that has brought me to LSE...

Once again.... my bad if I sounded rude... and thanks for all your information.. you are indeed doing a great job .. not with your replies... but prompt replies.. TC... Mehul.

Hi Najmuddin... I am sorry... I felt that my scrap was a little rude and that's why I quickly went ahead and edited it. But meanwhile you already read it.. my bad though.... Well.. Thanks a ton your all the information you gave me... trust me it really helps and I sncerely mean it. Also you are damn right here... I am a candidate for MBA and I did apply to a lot of MBAs ad got through few of the most prestigious courses ... including ISB, Carnegie Mellon MIS program, UT Austin MBA and Rotman toronto..I wanted to apply to LSE because I felt that it gives the best brand value in an affordable price tag of around 22lacs... All the admits I have except for ISB are costlier than that and unfortunately I am in real crunch of money and can not spend more than this. So though I second your view of joining an MBA.. its the money + Brand Value that has brought me to LSE...

Once again.... my bad if I sounded rude... and thanks for all your information.. you are indeed doing a great job .. not with your replies... but prompt replies.. TC... Mehul.

DUDE... what are you doing!!! If I were you, i wouldn't waste even a single minute thinking about any application after getting an admit from ISB... i would just spend all my time partying :biggrin:

Though it's your decision, i would just advice you one thing - don't waste your time and money on applying to LSE. The LSE MSc is primarily for pre-experience kids. Even I would feel like an old man there
You'll never get the same opportunities that an MBA could give you...

As far as Brand is concerned, ISB is a great brand too and I am sure you would go places. it hasn't claimed 15th spot in FT for nothing...

Well, congratulations on this achievement and all the best for you future.

Najmuddin

PS: Don't worry, everything is fine. We are good. 😃

Ha Ha Ha... you are right buddy... you won't beleive friend... I had exactly the same reaction on 10th Feb when I cracked ISB. But then a day down the line when I thought carefully.. I changed my mind.. Every single person whom I met after that day gave me almost the same reaction... as you did... and with lots of maths.. I could convince them that the decision I was taking was not wrong. Not sure... if i will be able to convince you too.. (I would have mentioned the reason here... but I don't want to deride any school for any reason on a commom forum.... finally an education body is a respectable one..) But when I will speak to you... I will definitely discuss the same... apart.. can you help me with your contact number ... if you are not sharing it on a public forum... you can mail it to me at

Thanks... Mehul.

@najmuddin,

ur profile is exactly similar to mine.. Except that i have not applied to LSE yet.

GRE 1490, 3.5WE in semiconductor industry, good acads

u mentioned 3 recos for LSE but the site mentions only two.
Also do you mind PMing me ur phone no. .. wanted to take some tips regarding the SOP.

PS : Since u have already got an admit, it will be great if you could share some tips for writing a killer SOP.

Hi Najmuddin.. Can you please let me know if both the refrees have to be academic or one acad and other professional. Because logically we do need one professional refree to authenticate our wrk accomplishmens... isn't it...what did you do? ... Mehul.

@Mehul and M7MBA

LSE online application provides space for submitting two references. Both of these references must be academic.
If you want to submit a third reference from your manager or someone, then you can do what I did. You can submit an additional reference by telling your manager to mail it directly to LSE. The admission FAQ on LSE website provides the email-id on which this reference can be sent.

Hope this answers your queries.

- Najmuddin

Hi Guys,

I've an admit for Accounting and Finance. (Reject for Fin & Econ). I've also offers from Rotterdam achool of Mgmt (MFM)., SDA Bocconi (MCF), CASS (IM), ICMA(ISIB) and Cranfield(Fin & Mgmt).

My Brief profile : MBA with decent academics. 3.5 yrs for UBS, GMAT 680.

Which do you think would be the best?

Harsha.

Got admit from Masters in Management & Strategy

Considering the economic scenario, I am facing hard time in deciding whether to join or not..
Hey puys, please do share whatever info you have regarding the future prospects of this course.

Thanks !
Rohit