Low GMAT score. Test rescheduled. PLease suggest.

HI, I scored a 620 in the GMAT (on Nov 1oth). I had scored 680, 700 in powerprep, around 670-690 in Princeton review and 540-590 in Kaplan. 680-690 in Cambridge. I decided i definitely could score more and registered for it again (5 days l…

HI,

I scored a 620 in the GMAT (on Nov 1oth). I had scored 680, 700 in powerprep, around 670-690 in Princeton review and 540-590 in Kaplan. 680-690 in Cambridge.
I decided i definitely could score more and registered for it again (5 days later). I hope i did not make a hasty decision.

I am a software engineer with 2+ yrs of exp. And recently (past 5 months) I've been working more closely with pre-sales and marketing. Not core pre-sales and marketing ...but the technical side of it. I do interact quite a bit with those guys. And this is when i made this serious decision on what i want to do with my career...and where.

I'm aiming for schools with rankings ranging from 10/15 to 30.
Basically, McCombs, Fisher, Smith, Mays, Kelley, Marshal.

[ FYI, I made a sudden decision because, i did not want to be another fish in the ocean (of software engineers). I feel my current job is not bringing out the best in me. And I know i want to study general business management.]

Please do suggest
1) If it was a good idea to give the test again.
2) My re-test is scheduled for Dec 5th. I hope it's not too late. Actually I've done my research and for some B-schools (of my choice), the second deadline is Dec 31st / Jan 15th.
3) What do i do if i score less than 650 again? Do i apply and cross my fingers? Or do i wait for another year?

TIA,
Sandeep

Sandeep,
Being an engineer working in IT field, you should aim 700+. This will give you a big advantage, seeing the schools you have chosen. If you have great acads, then you may apply with 2+ yrs experience. If I were you, I would wait for another year :)

Prepare well for the tests. Anything less than 650 will put you on a backfoot.

Please continue on this thread. Sandeep has already posted the same query there.

Ketan

Thank You SNAX.
Yes, I am aiming for a 700+. But I just don't want to mention it coz of how much i scored the last time.
And this time, i'm not getting much time to prepare. I'm relying on 2 hrs a day (for 12 days) and the 2.5 months of effort i put from Aug x - Nov10th.

Thanks a lot everyone. Please continue on this thread.