Life @ SPJIMR, Mumbai

I am almost three months into my stint at SPJIMR, Mumbai and finally I have gotten some time to get back to the Alma Mater of my CAT journey(read PG :: ). These three months have been super hectic, with more running around and scheduling conflict…

I am almost three months into my stint at SPJIMR, Mumbai and finally I have gotten some time to get back to the Alma Mater of my CAT journey(read PG ). These three months have been super hectic, with more running around and scheduling conflicts than Amol Palekar of GolMaal (without the false moustache ).

I now come back to PG and realise that SP(we call it SP :happy:) is not present on the "Life@" Pg thread. So better late than never, here it starts...

It's all about learning through actions at SP, and even after my Amol Palekar like confused situation, I have been lucky enough to find people around me who direct me like Hrishikesh Mukherjee directed the classic comedy.

All of what I said about life being hectic was definitely expected; I heard it happens in every B-School, more so at SP. But in between all the quizzes, assignments and group works, when I took a few moments to reflect about it, I found that life here at SP is truly special.

Right from the wonderful Fresher's Blast to the first month of foundation exams I was enjoying myself thoroughly even after the tough academic schedule, but as one of the Prof rightly pointed out in the class, when you have less time, you tend to ignore all those small things which brings joy to oneself (something which reminded me of a dialogue from another HrishiDa classic Bawarchi).

For me one of the biggest challenges was in the form of knowing my peers. History had labeled me as an extremely talkative fellow, mingles easily with junta kind off and here I found myself in a situation where I knew not a major chunk of my batch. And then came the PG Lab

PG or Personal Growth Lab as we call it here is a part of the curriculum at SP. It was an amazing experience of four days at Lonavala (place famous for its chikkis and hot choc fudge, right next to Khandala, a place made famous by the Aamir-Rani song). It involved theory sessions, personal development exercises and learning about one self. BoringNo it wasn't. All the exercises were carried out through activities where we were twisted and mish mashed into various teams, classes were placed in the beautiful locales of Lonavala :); the biggest challenges were not quizzes, but treks and assault courses; assignments were replaced by group games and plays, dances and song performances, all of which was gelled with our course on People and Performance. It was real fun and the best things which came out of it was that all of us became 'ek from anek' (borrowing from the old DD campaign, I bet you remember that ). The feeling of togetherness which came has grown since we returned and the classes progressed, and we have developed better understanding of our peers which helps in tackling the numerous Group Works which forms our Rozi-roti at SP

It has been awesome, apart from Time Management you also learn the art of sleep management, learn to enjoy shifted weekends (at SP we have a Wed night-Thursday weekend). We've started watching movies in the morning shows (the 70 buck morning shows in Red Lounge all cuddled up in a blanket... ahaa :grin:)

Its late at night and I am a bit tired now, time for the favourite part of each ones life here, SLEEP

Keep watching the space, I am just a three month old baby.. Watch the kid grow...

I am almost three months into my stint at SPJIMR....................................................................................
Keep watching the space, I am just a three month old baby.. Watch the kid grow...

Just realised it today morning, I am just two months old at SP...

lack of sleep that was maybe :huh:

Thanx deshh for starting the thread.

Ya, SP has been amazing till now. It's hectic but fun. In fact, every moment spent here is a learning in itself. So let me talk about the guest lecture we had yesterday.

We had Jinesh Varia, a Technology Evangelist from Amazon Web Services who gave a talk on Could and Utility Computing. Too high funda for a MBA course? No.

Apparently, cloud computing makes a lot of sense as it cuts down the set up costs and fixed costs. The technology helps companies pay for what they need and prevents building up of huge capex. Now doesn't that makes business sense?

Yesterday's session was a 1 and 1/2 hours session attended by students of both PGDM and PGDSM-MIT courses across all specializations. The talk focussed more on the business aspects of cloud computing and how it makes sense for a start-up company as well as a large enterprise. Mr. Varia also gave examples of how many companies have scaled rapidly using this concept. For the engeineers and techies among us, he showed how server instances are created over the web, the technology that backs it up etc.

I am sure, after this session, the entrepreneur in us is just waiting to make use of this amazing technology on offer.

Yep the lecture was really quite good. Although a bit UP on the techie factor still people were able to related to it with as the business model proposed seemed to be an interesting one...

Anyway right now sittin and preparin for Midterm tomm

and then the next week is sure to be fun-filled , i will surely loose a KG or two runnin around with all th tasks next week, good for me though 😃

Loads and loads about SP here and i know for sure that its not the end...but i'll like to take u to a tour..err...not a campus tour...but MUMBAI...

So its been more or less 40 days and 40 nights in my new (B) School and to start with has been a nice chapter. There are many aspects that one can discuss, be it rains, auto rickshaws, food or movies. Read More

Few moments in life are as inspirational as was this afternoon. We saw what we can be in future if we put in the right effort and have the right attitude.

Today we were addressed by the COO of Mahindra and Mahindra, Mr. Rajesh Jejurikar. He is an SPJIMR alumni of 1986 batch. The topic of his lecture was organizational structure and strategy.

The talk was extremely enriching. Mr. Jejurikar gave examples of how an agile organization should behave, what kind of structure and startegy it follows and how to align structure as per the organization's strategy. He also gave examples of how an organization can change from a reactive to a preactive one. The session concluded with a Harvard Business Case on the turnaround of GE by Jack Welch. Overall, it was a great experience listening to him.

But more than the content of the lecture, what inspired me was that here was a person who was on the other side of the class some years back and look where he has reached in life. There are many SP alumnis in top notch positions in the industry. But interacting with one was truly great.

So much for now. Have People and Performace(OB) quiz tomorrow and lots and lots of preread. Seems it will be another long night without sleep....

Few moments in life are as inspirational as was this afternoon. We saw what we can be in future if we put in the right effort and have the right attitude.

Today we were addressed by the COO of Mahindra and Mahindra, Mr. Rajesh Jejurikar. He is an SPJIMR alumni of 1986 batch. The topic of his lecture was organizational structure and strategy.

The talk was extremely enriching. Mr. Jejurikar gave examples of how an agile organization should behave, what kind of structure and startegy it follows and how to align structure as per the organization's strategy. He also gave examples of how an organization can change from a reactive to a preactive one. The session concluded with a Harvard Business Case on the turnaround of GE by Jack Welch. Overall, it was a great experience listening to him.

But more than the content of the lecture, what inspired me was that here was a person who was on the other side of the class some years back and look where he has reached in life. There are many SP alumnis in top notch positions in the industry. But interacting with one was truly great.

So much for now. Have People and Performace(OB) quiz tomorrow and lots and lots of preread. Seems it will be another long night without sleep....

i gone thru lots of thread and also thru sp jain website....i cant co-relate jobs placements,average salaries..highest/lowest..
can you help me to know about the same in mumbai campus and its difference from dubai/singapore....
if one had to choose either of two..which one it should be...
i am damn confused...let meknow
i gone thru lots of thread and also thru sp jain website....i cant co-relate jobs placements,average salaries..highest/lowest..
can you help me to know about the same in mumbai campus and its difference from dubai/singapore....
if one had to choose either of two..which one it should be...
i am damn confused...let meknow

What relation are you looking at ? The statistics are available on the website
I don't think I can help you with deciding which institute to choose. Moreover, this thread was about Life@SPJIMR so I suggest you put up your query here.
** BUMP **

No updates for a long time.

18'th June,2009..... A day that many of us are waiting for....a new beginning awaits us....Let the clock tick ...let the batch of SPJIMR 2009-11 shine brightly......just a day left ...the stage is set.....SPJIMR.....here I come........:)

Cheerz!
TBA!!

180 students keep their feet on the soil of SPJIMR,,,here mumbaikars famously know it as Bhawan's College....apart from SPJIMR also we have many other colleges inside the campus ...so no lack of ahem ahem :oops:....very few faces are known to each other..everyone looking at others with anticipation...esp to opposite gender :oops:.......we all get to our hostels along with our parents.....as parents are there so everyone expects a bit humility , innocence and student like attitude....( sab ko pataa hai gharwaale jaane ke baad hi asli chehra saamne aayega :drinking:)......neways the 1'st day goes well except that mumbai was like a furnace, we had a Pre foundation test on Microeconomics, Financial Accounting and Quantitative Methods, and we were given a bag full of books and coming schedule ....except that everythings fine ( aur kuch bacha zindagi mein )Hmmm slept well ..next day had to wake up at 7 in the morning

19'th June ,2009

Orientation session, lectures by deans and faculties and about the course structure,,,,mazaa aaya,,,mainly coz the AC was running at full flow
Afternoon session- 1'st lecture Microeconomics.......as we entered into the class,, we saw that already their was a planned seating arrangement....photu lagaa rakha tha bhai logo har seat par :D......awesome welcome man!!!!! neways 1'st lecture was really great.....2'nd lecture...Financial accounting!!!! woh woh woh!!!!!! is this wat we know as balance sheet? is it income statement ??? yaar koi to samjha do kya chal rahaa tha class mein ???neways one more day......dont have energy left to do nething...sleep sleep sleep.....

20'th june- 3 classes in the morning pretty good.....except that we were told that on monday or tuesday we will have quiz.....:w00t:...abhi to aaye hai maam...abhi hi quiz ??? jaan loge bache ki ?neways gone are those 3 classes.....comes afternoon session......a class on case studies....we were told to discuss in groups and come with solution.....hehehe yaar pataa nahi kya discuss kiya...but neways acha time pass tha,,,but when the prof actually paved the way for the case study,.,,,man awesome.....seemed like really we were managers of the company solving the case study ....it was great...came back...had coffee at Bistro..our own coffee shop.....came back to hostel......went around the campus for a while,,,,now came back,,,bye guys have to study fin accounting a bit.....unless everything will go beyond my reach,,,,and yah ...have to learn excel full in one or two days....areh haan supply demand bhi to padna hai.,,test hai next week....bus abhi ke liye itna hai

Your own!!!
TBA!!!!!

Something that I had always dreamt about

Here is my first official post on a Life@ B-School thread. Will give a small synopsis on what i felt as indrajoy has already covered the details.

First things first.
Bombay is an amazing city. But still Chennai rocksss ;)
Vada paav has its own charm, so does the taste of the paani in paani poori.
Ur spoilt for choices here as far as colour is concerned 😉 esp after coming from chennai

@ SP
Faculty is amazing. I know all B-school threads say this, but for the first time I feel that sense of respect for the kind of knowledge they possess. All through my schooling and graduation days, I used to like a couple of teachers, for they way they teach. But here everyone seems to be raising the bar each day.

Mess food, again for the first time, I didnt get bored after a couple of days, even though there is no Non-veg. Lets see how this perception changes over the next month or so.

Had our first quiz, where we burnt the mid night oil, which was followed by the 2nd and the 3rd and another 5-6 lined up in next week.
I think as the initial enthu dies down ppl will start to take everything a lil slower. Nowadays, the classroom discussion is filled with DCP (a term which every student will be aware off), some ppl ask such kind of doubts (read Stupid, and something that a 10th std student will be able to ans), that we stop and wonder whether they already know it or asking to show others that they are able to think differently. :nono:

As with every hostel, B'day celebration are unique which has the birthday bumps along with a host of other rituals.. the rituals here are amazing, and I would spare the details.

I do not know what else to add here and would start afresh next time.. I lost for words as im feeling soooo sleeeepy. Keep watching this space for more.

2 weeks, 8 tests and an amazing ride of life :)....its not just studies all the time,,,, acha we have thursdays off, so wednesdays are official weekend for us :D.....yesterday was one and we went to the local resto bar......woke up at 12 noon today :P.......next week we have our freshers party ......will get some good photus 😁 for u all ..... Enjoy all! Your Own! TBA!!!

Dudes...I am from 2005-07 batch...trust me you will carry this experience throughout your life...you will definitely enjoy 2yrs of your course, no doubt about it. Work hard, Party hard and enjoy every moment in SPJIMR. You will never get these days back..my life@ SPJIMR O2much

Hi

Has anyone here written about their experience in PGPM course ? Or these are experiences of the other PG courses? Is there anyone from the 11 month course who can share their experiences of the course please

Hello everyone,
It will be a great feeling to get into the MBA world. It was the exact feeling I had last year around. You guys must have loads of apprehensions as to what is in store for you. So just thot I would tell you guys about SPJIMR.
SPJIMR, Shreyans Prasad Jain Institute of Management & Research (for those who dunno this, I came to knw after joining SP :grin:. Get yourself set to experience the shock at SPJIMR. As soon as you step into this world, you will realize how lucky you are. This batch of 180 students is one of the best you can find ever. Within 3 months you would know each of 180 students really well. When I entered this place, I really realized then that it was only coz of luck that I was here.
Such is the talent that SP Jain has an exclusive dance group, Lasya, a real wonder. The kind of performances they have come up with is truly mind blowing. I have never seen any other B-School have a dance team. Talent at its very best. If dance was one aspect, music team is one of the finest ever. In each batch we have seen that there invariably these kind of people here, singers, guitarists, violinists, drummers, etc. They have even composed a mind blowing piece of musicThis team travels to other college fests to perform. Overall champions of IIM Bangalores fest Unmaad 09 was SPJIMR with dance being 1st, music troupe 2nd, street play 1st, movie spoof 3rd & Ms.Unmaad also being from SPJIMR. We have even made movies here at SP. Chk out videos of a few dances, songs etc. you will just come 2 knw of the quality.
There are loads of committees in SP as you would already be aware of. Each committee conducts huge number of events which is a perfect blend.
Nowhere but at SP Jain you get to celebrate festivals with great pomp. Be it Independence Day, Gandh Jayanti, Republic Day, Holi, teachers Day, etc. Lots of clour, dance, music, food, etc to light up these events.
Nowhere but at SP Jain do you get to sit in the interview panels during SPJIMR interviews. Yes, as you would have seen, the challenging process of organizing the entire interview process at all the locations over India is done by the students of SP itself & you even get the opportunity to See it from the other side of the table as you get to sit on the interview panels as well & shoot out a few questions to the aspirants. I myself have interviewed few MBA participants. A great experience in itself.
The USP of SP Jain, Learning by Doing, is best represented in the fact that whatever happens in college is done by the students themselves. Few of the biggest events in SP are the Student Academic Conclave, which is huuuge and has industry people & academecia coming to the college for addressing & panel discussions as well. These 4 days of the Academic Conclave is a great learning experience & organizing the entire festival is a huge task & done entirely by the students themselves.
The other huuuge events in SP is OJAS, the annual Management festival of SP. It has a mixture of business & cultural events. Being a part of this is a true pleasure as you get to wind off for 3 days in fun & frolic along with a chance to take part in these events & win loads of cash as well. Few of us even had the chance to interact with personalities like Raju Hirani, Aamir Khan, Arshad Warsi, Abhinav Bindra, Perizaad, MTV VJs, etc. Such were the performances that the chief guest commented, I am just spell bound after what I just saw. Its difficult to gather my thoughts. I had a well rehearsed speech coming in here but after what Ive just seen over the last 15-20 minutes by these wonderful people, Im for loss of words....
The event galore doesnt end as SP has one of the best sports fest in the country. SPRINT is SP Jains Annual Sports Fest. You name the sport and we have it. Cricket, Football, Tennis, TT, Badminton, Athletics, Swiimming, Throwball, Volleyball,Squash and many more.
There are other clubs too like Canvas, the arts & painting club of SP, the book reading club, etc.
One of the greatest things to happen at SP Jain is GASP (Guild of Actors at SP).This is SP Jains most amazing performance where students do an actual Theatre playIt is one of the most awesomest things youll get to see year on year again unique to SP JainThey even got a chance to perform at the prestigious National Centre of Performing Arts.
The experience continues as SP Jain gives you the experience of a lifetime to work on real situations in DOCC where you get to work with NGOs for 1.5 months. Students have gone to 18 states in IndiaExperience exotic locations like Ladakh, Shimla, Kullu Manali, Rajasthan, Andamans, Gods own Kerala & many more places & the joy of even working from home wit an NGO over there.
Even the learning through the classes is extraordinary. We have some of the finest faculty around which you will experience as soon as you get hereClasses are made interesting thru group works, movies, presentations, surprise quizzes which is an experience in itselfBetter than jst routine classes.The facilties are very good too & absolutely dont worry about the placements....This year's autumn internship has been one of the best at par with the top IIMs.
As I already said the batch is easily the most amazing you can getTrust meNot even 1 student among the lot can be counted out.
Coming to what has almost become a great talking point, the 47 percent girls in the batch and the 42 percent in the senior batch. Just come to SP and you will see how amazing the girls areExtremely talented, intelligent, wateva u can addextremely good lookin (for all guys yaa time to be happy :grin:).But yaaEven the guys are really talented and awefumA gr8 batch to be with.
The birthday bashes, the morning scramble, the experience of the most happening City Mumbai, the rains, the fun in and outside classes, the Bistro timepass, movies, organizing events, the studies, the assignments, group works, quizzes, daily sports, the PFC, DOCC time, PG Lab, etc are all to be experienced. After having seen all stars perform, tomorrow we will witness the Big Cine Awards where Akshay Kumar, Priyanka Chopra & other stars will dance away at our campus grounds & we get to witness this amongst loads of other events bygone.
What is going to be another great addition from this year onwards at SPJIMR along with the unique DOCC is the compulsory international exchange program for 2 months at a top international B-School...Something we wont be able to experience.
I could go on and on about wats awesome at SP jain.I wont write whats not niice.Wen you come to SP just look for these awesome stuffThe not so good things would just be a backdrop & not a cause of worry.
Yes the acads, PFC, Quizzes are extremely important but just wanted 2 tell every1 wat one at SP can doYou still find time to do everything.Its all upon you
The most important point to remember is that most students get into the top B-schools on the basis of luck. I have come here, was because luck was on my side. So dropping an year and waiting to get into the top 3 IIMs is always taking a gamble no matter how good you are because luck may not always be on your side. Instead talk to people you know. Talk to students pursuing MBA in my college & other colleges & see why there is actually very little difference among the top IIMs & SPJIMR. Maybe the difference that exists (example McKinsey taking students from top 3 IIMs only) does not even matter to you (because you may not want to get into McKinsey but want to get into comapnies like P&G; which has taken highest number of students from SPJain than any other campus ever). If you get into IIMA & SPJain the decision might not be difficult. But what if you didnt get into the top 3 IIMs. So make an informed decision & consult any of us for any help. We, students at SPJIMR will start a helpline soon so that you can make a very informed decision about where to join vis-a-vis what you want to do in future.
Im not writing this to compare SP with any college or any other reason.Jus wanted 2 say that I was extremely lucky to be at SPIts been a great great year for me amongst such wonderful fun people.Wen I joined SP I also had XLRI as an optionI took up SP and I am soooo glad abt dat.Not dat XLRI is not gud or sthJus dat SP is jus so awesome.I just feel sitting here that 1.5 yr has gone sooo fastJust 5 mnths mor of MBA to goWish it was 4 yrs :grin:You are just about to step into a great worldHav a blast guysWelcome to SPJIMR family.Its time to have an experience of a lifetime :grin:Cheers!!!

Regards,
An extremely privileged participant proud to be @ SPJIMR

Hi,

Kindly post your thoughts about careers in I Banks and their Captives in the link below. Relevant for aspiring iBankers and current iBankers.

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mba-careers-in-investment-bank-25061188

Regards
Abhishek

Hey finally found the thread that I was looking for! Have so many questions about life at SP Jain, but could find a proper outlet to present my questions. It seems like very few people use this thread, but I hope some seniors of SP Jain can answer my questions :). And sorry if some of my questions are "odd" but I am an aspirant from USA, so my enquiries will be based on my lack of knowledge of what is considered normal in India.

Anyways, here are my questions:

1. We are required to live in hostels, right? How many people live together in one room? How big are the rooms? Do they have a kitchen? Does each room have its own bathroom or is there a shared bathroom between several rooms? Is there A/C? (lol being from america, I know I'm spoiled :P) And is the water and electricity on 24/7?

2. I heard SP Jain has wireless internet all over its campus! For me, that's a HUGE HUGE HUGE PLUS!! How is the internet speed at SP Jain? Is the wireless internet reliable and fully accessible from most of the campus?

3. I also heard we get a laptop. Don't really care much about this since I have my own, but still wondering what type (make & model) of laptops do we get?

4. I know SP Jain has its own cafeteria (or mess as I've read on SP Jain site), but is it open 24/7? Is there a meal plan or do we pay per visit and based on what we get? What kind of foods can we expect?

I have gone through SP Jain's website quite thoroughly, and so I asked the above questions because I was not able to find the answers anywhere on the SP Jain website or on pagalguy. Again, some of the above questions seem like "why am I asking them.. I'll find out once I get to SP Jain campus." But I'm coming all the way from USA, and I would just feel much better if I had a decent idea of what to expect about the above things. I would appreciate all help 😃

sashah2006 Says
Hey finally found the thread that I was looking for! Have so many questions about life at SP Jain, but could find a proper outlet to present my questions.

Sorry, I meant to say "could not find."